Utterly Tinpot European Midweek Thread V 2.0

Comments

• Reus
    22545 posts Club Captain
    edited August 2016
    WombRaider wrote: »
    But surely you saying that contradicts your points on Rooney @reus?

Rooney is ponderous, he's so so slow he slows everything United does down.

If you read what I said properly

I was saying the play was ponderous before it got up the pitch to rooney and the other forwards

And that it wasn't getting through the likes of carrick quick enough

By the time they get it forward the opposition has 7 men back and Rooney has no space at all
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    31873 posts National Team Captain
    Reus wrote: »
    Reus wrote: »
    The main reason leicester won the league is the main reason United flopped

The speed leicester transitioned from defence to attack was rapid

Uniteds was ponderous

Mahrez, okazaki and Vardy were 3 on 3 or 3 on 4 time after time

Every time a united attacker eventually got the ball 6 or 7 players were back in defence

Yeah our counter attack was absolutely dreadful last year. And I don't think it was any one players fault last season. I think it was LVG not wanting us to take any risk to lose possession. Smh.

I'm not sure it will change much under mourinho he isn't exactly known for his attacking football

But you know have a clinical striker and a top right winger which should make a big difference

Yeah part of the reason I wasn't thrilled with Mou signing (despite being a top manager) but his counter has always been nice. Just ask Chelsea. Lol. And when he does attack it's more creative than LVGs. with LVG it was all about defense first, no risks, cautious, safe. At least with Mou, I expect for us to not "get the goal, then sit back and defense and let weaker teams possess the ball and get back into it" at least with Mou, more often or not, we try to maintain possession most of the team even if we are leading unlike LVG
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    On Rooney

Forgot I taped the 2002-2003 Premier League Years last night

What I hate the most, is he's still capable of scoring goals like that, but LVG has sucked that urge to rip a long shot out of him, and the rest of the team really. Last year it seemed like we HAD to be inside the box before anyone would take a shot
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    WFCBagnall wrote: »
    hoban95 wrote: »
    Just leaving work now, absolutely buzzing for this weekend

**** you @WFCBagnall

I was considering toning down on the train talk.

But if you want to be like that :)

If want happened last Friday happens again today I'm coming for you :joy:

200w.gif

Hoban=====Me

:joy:

:joy: :joy: :joy:
  • maymanpele
    14389 posts Has That Special Something
    One of my friends since childhood is gonna be at Old Trafford today with his oldest son. He's beyond excited, since it's his first game to watch, and he's been a United supported since we were like 7.
  • The Mega Squid
    2001 posts Fans' Favourite
    maymanpele wrote: »
    One of my friends since childhood is gonna be at Old Trafford today with his oldest son. He's beyond excited, since it's his first game to watch, and he's been a United supported since we were like 7.

I have a feeling the place will be rocking tonight, he chose a great game to attend. Can't wait for Pogba to come on, the place is gonna go ballistic :*
  • WFCBagnall
    70258 posts Moderator
    One of my friends since childhood is gonna be at Old Trafford today with his oldest son. He's beyond excited, since it's his first game to watch, and he's been a United armchair fan since we were like 7.

I have a feeling the place will be rocking tonight, he chose a great game to attend. Can't wait for Pogba to come on, the place is gonna go ballistic :*

He'll probably start
  • XxRichiexRichxX

That with what Mou said about the crowd. I hope it's crazy. Hope Pogba starts. He made it sound like he was when he said "he may not last 90 minutes".
  • maymanpele
    14389 posts Has That Special Something

Yeah, he bought tickets before pogba was transferred, so it's an added bonus.

He ended up dropping $500 for the pair, but honestly I'd do the same to take my young one to the camp nou in a few years time.
  • hoban95
    49049 posts FIFA Cover Star
    Quick hob update

The train is jam packed, never seen it this bad before. All the f*ckers got on at Cambridge. So far no crash or delays.

I'm coming for that beer @WFCBagnall :joy:
  • The Mega Squid
    2001 posts Fans' Favourite
    One of my friends since childhood is gonna be at Old Trafford today with his oldest son. He's beyond excited, since it's his first game to watch, and he's been a United armchair fan since we were like 7.

He'll probably start

I hope so, but I doubt it. We'll see.
  • WFCBagnall
    70258 posts Moderator
    Quick hob update

The train is jam packed, never seen it this bad before. All the f*ckers got on at Cambridge. So far no crash or delays.

Inb4ItBreaksDown :trollface:
  • hoban95
    Quick hob update

Inb4ItBreaksDown :trollface:

Literally waiting for the train to randomly stop now I've said that :joy:
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    And I just saw the where Mou was interviewed and asked about Mkh not starting vs LCFC or Bournemouth and his response was "Some managers when they buy players, when it is their decision to buy players, the first thing they think is to protect themselves and to protect their choices. The players they buy have to play all the time. I am not like this. Before me comes the team, and what I think is the best for the team. In those two matches, Mata and Lingard were the best options for the team, adapted to the reality of the Premier League so I made that decision.But Mkhitaryan is a super football player and he will be given a lot of opportunities this season."

It sounds to me like he is trying to ease him into things and not rush him into PL play.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    Also, supposedly Lingard isn't in the squad today. So Mata or Mkhi getting that start on the right. More than likely Mata, but would love for Mkhi.
  • mjs4p
    11092 posts Has That Special Something
    And I just saw the where Mou was interviewed and asked about Mkh not starting vs LCFC or Bournemouth and his response was "Some managers when they buy players, when it is their decision to buy players, the first thing they think is to protect themselves and to protect their choices. The players they buy have to play all the time. I am not like this. Before me comes the team, and what I think is the best for the team. In those two matches, Mata and Lingard were the best options for the team, adapted to the reality of the Premier League so I made that decision.But Mkhitaryan is a super football player and he will be given a lot of opportunities this season."

It sounds to me like he is trying to ease him into things and not rush him into PL play.

It's also how you manage a large squad of talented players. If most stay healthy, he has more top players than spots on the team sheet.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    mjs4p wrote: »

It's also how you manage a large squad of talented players. If most stay healthy, he has more top players than spots on the team sheet.

Agreed.
  • mjs4p
    11092 posts Has That Special Something
    mjs4p wrote: »

Agreed.

It wouldn't be a problem if he had a squad like Arsenal where 2 players per week get injured! :joy: :cry:
  • Ronan14
    3469 posts National Call-Up
    The rooney problem is for the last couple of seasons we've had better players than him, but managers have put him in over those players just to fit him in.
    His ball control is utterly terrible and his passing is not good enough for the position he plays, My biggest problem is he almost always passes to the fullback, usually Valencia
    I will use last game as an example
    Rooney played off Ibra mostly v Bournemouth
    He made 51 passes, zero of which were through balls, Infact he did not even attempt a single pass into the box, now here is what I call the typical Rooney pass 1a01c348242fe6ac898f2298b274aec1.png

These are all the longballs he attempted, as you can see they all went to likely the fullback except for one to de gea, Notice how everytime he got near the box he hit a long ball to Valencia
    Now here is every other non long ball 9cee1086aa3160ff5442b4236f3f7872.png
    as you can see again everytime he gets the ball near the box he went backwards or to Valencia,
    Now a quick comparison to say Mata
    362c4240702598517d714cb0094b2369.png
    Yes he hit alot of backwards passes, but look at him around the box, almost everyone is a forward pass and he is clearing looking to create something
  • DaveSaves
    20137 posts Club Captain
    Rooney shouldn't be starting. We have three better strikers than him and at least two who can play in his position with Ibra.

The only saving grace is that his desire to drop deep might help when Pogba bombs forward.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    edited August 2016
    Ronan14 wrote: »
    The rooney problem is for the last couple of seasons we've had better players than him, but managers have put him in over those players just to fit him in.
    His ball control is utterly terrible and his passing is not good enough for the position he plays, My biggest problem is he almost always passes to the fullback, usually Valencia
    I will use last game as an example
    Rooney played off Ibra mostly v Bournemouth
    He made 51 passes, zero of which were through balls, Infact he did not even attempt a single pass into the box, now here is what I call the typical Rooney pass 1a01c348242fe6ac898f2298b274aec1.png

These are all the longballs he attempted, as you can see they all went to likely the fullback except for one to de gea, Notice how everytime he got near the box he hit a long ball to Valencia
    Now here is every other non long ball 9cee1086aa3160ff5442b4236f3f7872.png
    as you can see again everytime he gets the ball near the box he went backwards or to Valencia,
    Now a quick comparison to say Mata
    362c4240702598517d714cb0094b2369.png
    Yes he hit alot of backwards passes, but look at him around the box, almost everyone is a forward pass and he is clearing looking to create something

Who's he going to make a through ball too? Ibra isnt looking to run into a ball, he wants the ball at his feet. Martial and Mata want the ball wide. If Rashford was starting ST I can understand the through ball argument. And Rooney looks for those passes to Valencia because he's wanting him to cross it in to him and Ibra. And you're slating Rooney for playing a long ball for to switch up the play because when Martial gets the ball a lot of defenders switch onto to him, he drops it to Rooney, Rooney switches the field to Valencia or whoever because they are often having a ton of space with everyone swapped to left side of the pitch, and he bangs in a cross. I see ZERO issues with any of that.
  • WFCBagnall
    70258 posts Moderator
    edited August 2016
    Ibra
    Rooney
    Martial Cm Pogba Mkhy

Brilliant looking forward line. Add a world class defensive midfielder and Man United will be winning things again.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    everyones got their opinions I suppose. To each their own.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    Ibra
    Rooney
    Martial Cm Pogba Mkhy

Brilliant looking forward line. Add a world class defensive midfielder and Man United will be winning things again.

I'd go with Schneiderlin in that line up personally. Both he and Pogba capable of playing box to box. I said it a few days ago we have the personnel to swing a 442 or even that, but can't see Mou ever going that route
  • Ronan14
    Ritchie my point was he doesnt even attempt to play the forwards in
    Mata, ander, ibra all tried plenty of times to as did martial but rooney in the creative cam role never did, and never does
  • WFCBagnall
    70258 posts Moderator
    Ibra
    Rooney
    Martial Cm Pogba Mkhy

I'd go with Schneiderlin in that line up personally. Both he and Pogba capable of playing box to box. I said it a few days ago we have the personnel to swing a 442 or even that, but can't see Mou ever going that route

Schneiderlin for now yeah, but for me you're a decent RB and Defensive midfielder away from having a top, top team.
  • Ronan14
    Pogba-Morgan-Ander would be a top mid i reckon
  • hoban95
    Another Hob update

Just got home, about to have a bit of pizza and pasta for dinner. There was no train crash, no involvement of tractors and no delays.

Pass me a beer @WFCBagnall B)
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    Another Hob update

Just got home, about to have a bit of pizza and pasta for dinner. There was no train crash, no involvement of tractors and no delays.

Pass me a beer @WFCBagnall B)

:joy:
  • PochBall
    17397 posts World Class
    Are Man United playing tonight?