Is PSN down? Not logging in.

DobbyDooDah
5697 posts Big Money Move
I'm not a regular PS user. Just switched on but it's not auto logged me in like usual. Checked network, all okay except 'PSN Sign-In: Failed'

Tried signing in on account management or going on a game, none of which will work.

NooB in need right here.

Comments

• Stevo_Jalapeno
    475 posts Sunday League Hero
    I'm not a regular PS user. Just switched on but it's not auto logged me in like usual. Checked network, all okay except 'PSN Sign-In: Failed'

Tried signing in on account management or going on a game, none of which will work.

NooB in need right here.

Sometimes rebooting the console works for me (if you haven't already tried that..).
  • DobbyDooDah
    edited August 2016

NooB in need right here.

Sometimes rebooting the console works for me (if you haven't already tried that..).

I did try that. I'll go for a full hard reset and switch it off at the wall.

Cheers.
  • DobbyDooDah
    Hard reset failed. Spinning 'Please Wait' for 3 minutes so far.
  • DobbyDooDah
    Still nothing.

Two hard resets of PS and Router.
    Disconnect and reconnect to internet.
    Throwing errors left and right with no solutions online.
    Consoles are supposed to be plug and play, why is the PS so bad at this? Any solution I see is technical, GHz this and jargon that. I'm no technophobe but what do I care about all that. Connect to internet, sign in and play... PSN says no.

Had nothing but problems on PS+
  • PhilP
    1954 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited August 2016
    @DobbyDooDah

How long ago since you logged in? Have you accepted the tos recently?

If not:

Try going to Settings > PSN > Sign-in and accept the new Terms of Service
  • Baznotsobad76
    5062 posts Big Money Move
    Yeah just click on your profile... It will give you a page you have to agree, then it will auto log you in...
  • DobbyDooDah
    Yeah I've done that on my phone, still had an issue but reset router a third time which logged me in.

Still not letting me on games now, apparently my download speed is 18.6kbps on BT Fibre. Changed MTU and all the bs still no change. I've been through all this about 7 times since I bought the thing in November.

Being persistent, will mess with settings.

• General-Richa
    1094 posts Professional
    Wifi? or Wired?... If you can connect with a LAN cable, do so.

Also, test your Internet Speed on another device (e.g. PC/Laptop)

If the problem is just with PS4, open your routers homepage and check UPNP is enabled. Also assign your PS4 a static ip. Save those settings.

Reboot your PS4, set-up a new connection (use auto set-up)

Run a connection test on PS4, check NAT type is 2 and also during the test, watch how quickly the transition is from 'PSN sign-in' to 'NAT Type', if theres a delay, it's due to fragmentation of packets, so you'll need to set-up again, but this time use 'Custom'... select auto when prompted on all but MTU... for MTU, enter it manually, either start at 1473 and lower it by 10 each time it fragments, or find your optimal MTU using a Command Prompt on PC etc...

I hope that helps, but if you're unsure of anything above, most things I wrote can be explained better with a quick google search.

• RTG101
    248 posts Sunday League Hero
    If you ain't been on for a while the PS might need update, before logging you in.
    Go to software updates
  • DobbyDooDah
    Wifi? or Wired?... If you can connect with a LAN cable, do so.

Also, test your Internet Speed on another device (e.g. PC/Laptop)

If the problem is just with PS4, open your routers homepage and check UPNP is enabled. Also assign your PS4 a static ip. Save those settings.

Reboot your PS4, set-up a new connection (use auto set-up)

Run a connection test on PS4, check NAT type is 2 and also during the test, watch how quickly the transition is from 'PSN sign-in' to 'NAT Type', if theres a delay, it's due to fragmentation of packets, so you'll need to set-up again, but this time use 'Custom'... select auto when prompted on all but MTU... for MTU, enter it manually, either start at 1473 and lower it by 10 each time it fragments, or find your optimal MTU using a Command Prompt on PC etc...

I hope that helps, but if you're unsure of anything above, most things I wrote can be explained better with a quick google search.

If it was wired it wouldn't be an issue, everything I read says wireless seems to be slow on PS4s and they need setting up. I changed the MTU to 1473 and then 1450 last night. I did get on with 1mbps speed eventually. Speed on my phone is 30mbps.

I'll mess with it again tonight.

RTG101 wrote: »
    If you ain't been on for a while the PS might need update, before logging you in.
    Go to software updates

PS4 stays in rest mode with auto-updates on. Checked software anyway last night and everything was the latest.