FIFA 17 needs to improve defense A LOT

dopetothemax
2015 posts Fans' Favourite
First step is to remove auto tackling. Why is there a tackle button if you never need to press it? It seems simple, but if you don't press the tackle button you shouldn't get a tackle. Easy.

Next is to reduce the effectiveness of slide tackles. The types of angles and distances covered by slides is stupid in this game. They shouldn't be so accurate, especially by attacking players.

Make the tackling ratings mean something. If a player controls his striker to track back and make tackles, (I'm looking at you Aubamayeng) then he should be committing more fouls and having a lot less success with his tackles. As it stands there is virtually no difference between 90 standing tackle and 50 standing tackle.

Also get rid of that thing where I make a perfect tackle or interception and the ball just bounces right back to an attacker. This can also be coded into the tackle rating. The higher the rating, the higher the chance they have to keep possession when making a tackle. I also think this has some to do with auto tackling. The attacking player being so close to the defender just triggers and auto tackle animation giving him the ball right back.

If I make an interception, or my opponent passes it directly to my defender, don't punish my good play by having the defender take an awful touch and the ball just bounces right into the path of the attacker. That's one of the most irritating things in the game.

I've come across so many players that, when they see my attacker running towards them in space, they pull one of their CB's out of position sprinting like a mad man. That should never work. That's an awful way to defend and it shouldn't be effective. Hopefully the improved runs by your AI teammates will help with exploiting those gaps a lot better.

These are the things I want to see improved on the defensive side for FIFA 17. I think all of these things are really easy to implement and I can't wait to see absolutely none of this change. Lol

Comments

• Silent Singer74
    676 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Agreed completely
  • WFCBagnall
    69625 posts Moderator
    200w.gif
  • Glass0nion
    3937 posts National Call-Up
    No doubt about it, I agree
  • DaWoodyDaCuak
    640 posts An Exciting Prospect
    WFCBagnall wrote: »
    200w.gif

:lol:
  • Mossup
    1009 posts Professional
    Great post.

I'll be stunned if any of this changes though.
  • Uberman
    15729 posts World Class
    Agree with all of this

Just want to add a couple more points

Containing/Jockeying needs severely nerfing - Its punishing me for wanting to defend manually which should be how everyone should have to defend - no way should contain/jockey let zouma as an example defend better than how i can manually with maldini

Also this one has been in the game for years but gotten worse this year - The amount of blind interceptions by players facing the opposite way to the ball is unreal - I don't care what your vision is - if your looking straight in front of you and the ball is behind you - your not going to see it

• coatsy
    32197 posts National Team Captain
    Needs to be a better/fairer way to defend dribbling too.
  • TORZADO
    5159 posts Big Money Move
    I just want an opponent that doesn't press anything the team stops dead, not do the defending for them
  • Benjog88
    1590 posts Play-Off Hero
    Uberman656 wrote: »
    Agree with all of this

Containing/Jockeying needs severely nerfing - Its punishing me for wanting to defend manually which should be how everyone should have to defend - no way should contain/jockey let zouma as an example defend better than how i can manually with maldini

Also this one has been in the game for years but gotten worse this year - The amount of blind interceptions by players facing the opposite way to the ball is unreal - I don't care what your vision is - if your looking straight in front of you and the ball is behind you - your not going to see it

How can people complain about jockeying? It's a completely manual process...

Also OP I'm sure I read something about the ball bouncing back to attackers in another post which confirmed is 17 they will try and have the defenders angle the tackles away from the opposition so that one will hopefully be fixed.

I'm dredding the start of the game, how can anyone forget the stupid amount of pens at the start of 16, wonder what ridiculous thing we will have to deal with at the start of 17
  • Uberman
    15729 posts World Class
    Benjog88 wrote: »
    Agree with all of this

Also OP I'm sure I read something about the ball bouncing back to attackers in another post which confirmed is 17 they will try and have the defenders angle the tackles away from the opposition so that one will hopefully be fixed.

I'm dredding the start of the game, how can anyone forget the stupid amount of pens at the start of 16, wonder what ridiculous thing we will have to deal with at the start of 17

@Benjog88 - I put contain/jockey as i have no clue on what either of them do or which one it is - I just know one of them people hold the entire game to make the game do all their defending for them :joy:

Stupid pens still happen just not as frequent
  • Diggy
    13619 posts Has That Special Something
    Jockeying into an opponent performs the auto tackle so part of it is automated

I think the auto tackle should be completely removed, if you don't press the tackle button no tackle should be performed
  • Glass0nion
    3937 posts National Call-Up
    Diggy wrote: »

I think the auto tackle should be completely removed, if you don't press the tackle button no tackle should be performed

This
  • Scousekingy221
    603 posts Sunday League Hero
    Defending is awful on this game I agree
  • Reus
    22448 posts Club Captain

That would lead to constant spamming of the stand tackle button

Which if it's anything like slide tackle spamming could be op as hell
  • RadioShaq
    14902 posts Moderator
    Should just give you an option to play manual offense and defense. Then they can disable all the help. With all the help on offense making defense more manual would just unbalance the game.
  • Antiversum
    5767 posts Big Money Move
    Best way to get a proper game is making players act to their stats. Godin at CDM would be class, Dybala at CDM crap.
    All the mental and skillattributes must count, not the physical ones.
  • Benjog88
    1590 posts Play-Off Hero
    Agree with all of this

@Benjog88 - I put contain/jockey as i have no clue on what either of them do or which one it is - I just know one of them people hold the entire game to make the game do all their defending for them :joy:

Contain is holding A where the AI just tracks the runs and maintains the same distance with the attackers
    Jockeying is holding LT where your player moves in like a side step but you still control what direction he moves in

Yeah you get the odd stupid pens now but at the start the game was virtually unplayable,

My wish for 17, if I have a bunch of players upfront within 12 yards of each other and one of them is stood offside, then for the love of God, stop automatically directing my pass to the one and only person stood offside.

Also F slide tackles
  • PelzyWelzy
    9332 posts League Winner
    TORZADO wrote: »
    I just want an opponent that doesn't press anything the team stops dead, not do the defending for them

I hate this. Swear the majority of people simply put down the control when not in possession atm. You can actually see the slight delay as they get the ball back and pick up their controller again!
  • Diggy
    13619 posts Has That Special Something
    Reus wrote: »

In that case what's the point of having a stand tackle button at all?
  • Recardo
    9097 posts League Winner
    giphy.gif
  • dopetothemax
    Agree with all of this

Contain is holding A where the AI just tracks the runs and maintains the same distance with the attackers
    Jockeying is holding LT where your player moves in like a side step but you still control what direction he moves in

Yeah you get the odd stupid pens now but at the start the game was virtually unplayable,

My wish for 17, if I have a bunch of players upfront within 12 yards of each other and one of them is stood offside, then for the love of God, stop automatically directing my pass to the one and only person stood offside.

Also F slide tackles

Ya that pass automatically going to the offside guy is maddening. Happens in the midfield too when there's a CM 10 yards away and the ST behind him 30 yards away and the pass goes all the way to the ST for an easy interception when you wanted the simple pass short.
  • dopetothemax
    Reus wrote: »

In that case what's the point of having a stand tackle button at all?

Honestly spamming any button shouldn't work. You should have to time it. If you're trying to win a header, all anyone does is spam the button. Same for everything else. For tackling, if you press tackle and miss (it should be a risk to go for a bad tackle attempt) there needs to be some sort of delay before you can try one again. That minimizes the spamming and makes people actually try and time their tackles.
  • R9_Ronaldo
    1095 posts Professional
    edited September 2016