WTF is going on with matchmaking?

Dez1888
1152 posts Professional
I can't seem to find opponents again, anyone else having this problem? Can't be anyone playing the tournament today :D

Comments

• Baznotsobad76
    5063 posts Big Money Move
    I keep getting matched against people with Arabic as their language!... I'm crap at geography but I'm quite sure any Arabic speaking country isn't very near UK...
  • Dez1888
    1152 posts Professional
    Haha, very true. I live in Australia and get paired up against Arabic countries a lot, probably about 90 percent of my games are against them. Wouldn't expect the UK to pair with them though lol. Ended up playing 3 games after 20 mins of searching for an opponent.
  • Gazza74
    1137 posts Professional
    Same as you Dez, from Australia and sometimes really struggle to find opponents from here instead of Arabic countries .
  • stevvix
    8968 posts League Winner
    I keep getting matched against people with Arabic as their language!... I'm crap at geography but I'm quite sure any Arabic speaking country isn't very near UK...

A bit un PC but Birmingham is in the UK ;)

#votedremain
  • General-Richa
    1094 posts Professional
    I agree, matchmaking ruins Fifa.

If they don't integrate displaying my opponents actual ping in Fifa 17, I will probably stop playing Fifa online, I'm sick of being matched in lag infested gameplay.

I upgraded my own connection to the maximum available, but it makes little difference when you're matched to opponents who think tethering provides a stable gaming connection, or who think they can play Fifa on wi-fi whilst someone else in their home streams video at 1080p, or who is just so far away that it's physically impossible to have a lag free game.

I'll be playing the Fifa 17 Beta in a few weeks, so at least I'll get the chance to try online play before buying the game this time. If it's bad online, I'll probably still buy it but I'll maybe force myself to play offline, unfortunately offline seems to have been broken in other ways as I haven't enjoyed offline matches since Fifa 14.
  • Baznotsobad76
    Yeah because Fifa 16 turned out to be exactly like the Beta or even the same as it was during the first couple of weeks.. :wink:

I'm seriously thinking of holding off buying 17 for a few weeks...
    I'm pretty sure I'm very already got it! :smiley:
  • Dez1888
    1152 posts Professional
    I don't mind playing opponents on red as I don't suffer from too much lag, 1 in 15 or 20 lag. My internet speeds are not great, about 12mbps down, 1mbps up and a ping of 20ms. Ideally it would be orange minimum. It's more the time it takes to find an opponent...no way on earth with millions of people playing should I wait 15 or 20 mins to find a game in a popular tournament like Futties.
  • General-Richa
    1094 posts Professional
    Yeah because Fifa 16 turned out to be exactly like the Beta or even the same as it was during the first couple of weeks.. :wink:

I'm seriously thinking of holding off buying 17 for a few weeks...
    I'm pretty sure I'm very already got it! :smiley:

Yes, you're right... but I was looking more towards whether they've actually added accurate ping information in Fifa 17, or whether we are still using the inaccurate 3 green bar system (EA have improved matchmaking information in Battlefield by adding ping scores to Battlefield 1, I'm hoping they do the same in Fifa)...

If Fifa matchmaking information hasn't altered, that will be what pushes me to play offline only in Fifa 17. I've never played a Fifa Beta, so I wouldn't know how different online feels in that, but I think it's safe to assume Fifa 17 will be pretty much the same game as 16 is... I don't buy into this 'new game engine' nonsense, I'd assume that's more about all the visuals which I prefer to skip anyway.

I suppose all the answers I seek will be found in the Beta.

• General-Richa
    1094 posts Professional
    Dez1888 wrote: »
    I don't mind playing opponents on red as I don't suffer from too much lag, 1 in 15 or 20 lag. My internet speeds are not great, about 12mbps down, 1mbps up and a ping of 20ms. Ideally it would be orange minimum. It's more the time it takes to find an opponent...no way on earth with millions of people playing should I wait 15 or 20 mins to find a game in a popular tournament like Futties.

I think location is just as important as internet speeds are with Fifa, the game doesn't transfer much data, (though faster speeds do help with latency). I think distance affects latency a lot in this game.

I don't know why it takes you so long to find opponents, personally I get matched up in seconds.

I noticed when I upgraded my internet it changed me from always being away to always being at home, so I assume the home side is the one with the 'best connection', but that means nothing when the opponent is located far away... and it hasn't altered how fast I get matched up.

None of this really explains whats causing you to wait so long to be matched up... I'd say try Live Chat, but I don't believe they'll have the answer either.
  • Dez1888
    1152 posts Professional

I think location is just as important as internet speeds are with Fifa, the game doesn't transfer much data, (though faster speeds do help with latency). I think distance affects latency a lot in this game.

I don't know why it takes you so long to find opponents, personally I get matched up in seconds.

I noticed when I upgraded my internet it changed me from always being away to always being at home, so I assume the home side is the one with the 'best connection', but that means nothing when the opponent is located far away... and it hasn't altered how fast I get matched up.

None of this really explains whats causing you to wait so long to be matched up... I'd say try Live Chat, but I don't believe they'll have the answer either.

The strange thing is I'm nearly always the home team, Australian internet is so far behind the rest of the world that I'd expect to be the away team all the time. I get matched up with Arab countries the most but I'm not sure of the quality of their internet. I live in Perth which is so far away from any other country, rarely face anyone in Australia either.

I think live chat will have an answer.....please post your query on the forum :D
  • stevvix
    8968 posts League Winner

The strange thing is I'm nearly always the home team, Australian internet is so far behind the rest of the world that I'd expect to be the away team all the time. I get matched up with Arab countries the most but I'm not sure of the quality of their internet. I live in Perth which is so far away from any other country, rarely face anyone in Australia either.

I think live chat will have an answer.....please post your query on the forum :D

My connection is good (UK). Last year I was mostly at home. This year I've been mostly away. I have no idea!
  • Baznotsobad76
    When I was running fibre optic I was the home team 95% of the time.. My internet was great but I had awful lag...

After I downgraded to just standard Internet I was the away team about 75% of the time. My internet is still pretty good but I still have a lot of input lag...

Since the school holidays started I'm usually the home team again... Still the same pretty good Internet... Still the same lag.... I can only assume that all the kids are playing with reduced connections set by their parents, or using dongles, or are connecting to their phones 4G...
  • iyad69100
    1687 posts Play-Off Hero
    Being an Arab myself, I can't bear playing FIFA against Arabs :joy:
  • stevvix
    8968 posts League Winner
    iyad69100 wrote: »
    Being an Arab myself, I can't bear playing FIFA against Arabs :joy:

I see Erdogan is being a lovely leader over in Turkey :/
  • iyad69100
    1687 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited August 2016
    stevvix wrote: »