OT: Can't decide what phone to get, help me out please

Orikoru
10712 posts Has That Special Something
edited July 2016
I need a new phone, I've narrowed it down to two options but I cannot decide at all.
1. Samsung Galaxy S7 - almost every online review says this is the best phone. £41 a month plus 50 quid up front fee is a bit of a step up from my current £15 a month though.
2. Huawei P9 - reviews seem to suggest it has mostly the same specs as the other top phones, but it's cheaper as you're not paying for the name. Only £31 a month with no up front fee.

I don't know why but I just can't decide. I'm skint so going for the cheaper one would be handy, but for a two year contract, I just don't if it'll be more worthwhile going for the bigger name one in the hope it stands the test of time better.

Help me decide! Heard any good or bad things about the Huawei P9??

OT: Can't decide what phone to get, help me out please 35 votes

Samsung Galaxy S7
77%
ukler8Pepe Le DiLzZ WarriorTekkerzrckstrBrieMineDanledge95Florianr104shamheff1989i2-TempZ-2ihayhor1Bob_DylanmaTTeOs_mAZzA JohnDoeSantiagoDez1888AdvaitGunnerzCantona84Andybelfast 27 votes
Huawei P9
22%
OrikorudannyboyIshibumXx_iou_cheesecake_xXAlan94SimmoEFCDadTbxPauwel_2002 8 votes

Comments

• Ishibum
    12156 posts Has That Special Something
    Huawei P9
    I am holding off until November and getting either the new Google Nexus device (will be HTC apparently) or the Oneplus Three.

Of those two, I think Samsung has the better phone but I would rather try the Huawei for something different. Also, I have the S6 and can safely say this is the last Samsung device I will own for a while (never experienced battery life this bad before)
  • Orikoru
    Huawei P9
    Ishibum wrote: »
    I am holding off until November and getting either the new Google Nexus device (will be HTC apparently) or the Oneplus Three.

Of those two, I think Samsung has the better phone but I would rather try the Huawei for something different. Also, I have the S6 and can safely say this is the last Samsung device I will own for a while (never experienced battery life this bad before)

S7 has tested high for battery performance as far as I've seen. But the Huawei has the same power battery anyway, so I'd expect them to be about the same. Thanks for the input mate.
  • Baznotsobad76
    5062 posts Big Money Move
    I've never even heard of a Huawei..... For the most part a phone is a phone really, so if money is tight I'd go for the cheaper option...
    Have you considered a Sony Xperia?
  • dbslbu
    1810 posts Fans' Favourite
    Can't really comment from my own experience as I have an iPhone but I do have an Android tablet. A fella I work with though swears by the Huawei phones! He's had Samsungs previously and says Huawei are much better in almost every aspect but I can't be more specific as he's on holiday! Battery life will be a decideing factor for me when my next upgrade comes, I leave my house on 100% and watch a couple of episodes of whatever series I'm on at the mo on the way in, by the time I reck work, I'm 30% after no more than one and a half hours on VLC. My mum by comparison, has an old Nokia and charges it about once every 2 weeks!
  • Orikoru
    Huawei P9
    dbslbu wrote: »
    Can't really comment from my own experience as I have an iPhone but I do have an Android tablet. A fella I work with though swears by the Huawei phones! He's had Samsungs previously and says Huawei are much better in almost every aspect but I can't be more specific as he's on holiday! Battery life will be a decideing factor for me when my next upgrade comes, I leave my house on 100% and watch a couple of episodes of whatever series I'm on at the mo on the way in, by the time I reck work, I'm 30% after no more than one and a half hours on VLC. My mum by comparison, has an old Nokia and charges it about once every 2 weeks!

Good feedback, cheers. Huawei are not well known, I hadn't heard of them until I start looking into phones this week - but most reviews seem to say they are good pieces of kit, and the unknown name is the only thing making them cheaper than others.
  • Florianr104
    4303 posts National Call-Up
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    If you don't want an iPhone, get the Galaxy, it's the second best thing.
  • Ishibum
    Huawei P9
    Hauwei might not be too well known in UK or US, but they're something like the 4th largest company in the market just now. They focused for years on developing markets (from Asia to South America), but it has only been in the last couple years that they have went a bit more premium.

For my, the prime considerations are battery life, how lightly modified the android version is, and how decent the camera performs. Samsung puts great camera modules into their phones, but I do feel their version of Android is too bloaty. I've been looking at putting on a custom rom, but undecided on which one to go for.

One thing the S7 has over the S6 (so I need to take into account when adding my personal bias) is the removable storage. That said, the lack of ability to swap battery really annoys me.

• Torres4Lif3
    6657 posts Big Money Move
    imo Samsung is **** so huawei

But iPhone > all imo
  • Orikoru
    Huawei P9
    Hauwei might not be too well known in UK or US, but they're something like the 4th largest company in the market just now. They focused for years on developing markets (from Asia to South America), but it has only been in the last couple years that they have went a bit more premium.

For my, the prime considerations are battery life, how lightly modified the android version is, and how decent the camera performs. Samsung puts great camera modules into their phones, but I do feel their version of Android is too bloaty. I've been looking at putting on a custom rom, but undecided on which one to go for.

One thing the S7 has over the S6 (so I need to take into account when adding my personal bias) is the removable storage. That said, the lack of ability to swap battery really annoys me.
    I don't even care massively about the camera as I don't take a lot of photos, but both these phones supposedly have good cameras anyway.

If I'm being totally honest I'm not sure I need the most expensive, best phone. The list of things I do with it are: text people, WhatsApp, check Facebook/Twitter/Instagram, send videos of Fifa goals to my mates, and various useful apps that any phone could have like alarm clock, JustEat, CityMapper etc etc. It makes more sense for me to get the cheaper phone, on that basis. I'm just tempted by the S7 because literally everyone says it's the best, that's all.
  • Orikoru
    edited July 2016
    Huawei P9

But iPhone > all imo

There's no way I'm getting an iPhone when they are more expensive than any other phone and the battery life is notoriously ****. You literally just pay double for Apple marketing with those. Like people who buy Beats headphones instead of just getting Sennheisers.
  • Baznotsobad76
    5062 posts Big Money Move
    Orikoru wrote: »

But iPhone > all imo

There's no way I'm getting an iPhone when they are more expensive than any other phone and the battery life is notoriously ****. You literally just pay double for Apple marketing with those. Like people who buy Beats headphones instead of just getting Sennheisers.

Also an iPhone doesn't even last 1 minute in the washing machine!!!!
    That's why I got an Xperia.... Waterproof! :smiley:
  • Ishibum
    Huawei P9

I don't even care massively about the camera as I don't take a lot of photos, but both these phones supposedly have good cameras anyway.

If I'm being totally honest I'm not sure I need the most expensive, best phone. The list of things I do with it are: text people, WhatsApp, check Facebook/Twitter/Instagram, send videos of Fifa goals to my mates, and various useful apps that any phone could have like alarm clock, JustEat, CityMapper etc etc. It makes more sense for me to get the cheaper phone, on that basis. I'm just tempted by the S7 because literally everyone says it's the best, that's all.

Go with the Hauwei then. The difference in performance isn't worth the difference in cost if that's going to be what you use it for. In terms of core apps, I'm not too far removed from you (basically Facebook, Twitter, youtube, iPlayer, and a couple of news apps). Given the price bump the S7 has (was something like $750 US on release), I can't justify paying that for something I'll be wanting to change in a year/18 months. I think that's why the OnePlus calls out to me... beastly specs for much cheaper. Check out xiaomi as well (I think you can buy in the UK). Again, you have good specs for the price.
  • Torres4Lif3

But iPhone > all imo

Also an iPhone doesn't even last 1 minute in the washing machine!!!!
    That's why I got an Xperia.... Waterproof! :smiley:

lol
  • gia
    3166 posts National Call-Up
    edited July 2016
    OnePlus 3
    £ 329 without any monthly cost ;)

I'm really satisfied with my OP2 and so are my brothers with theirs (OP2/OP1).
  • Orikoru
    Huawei P9

Go with the Hauwei then. The difference in performance isn't worth the difference in cost if that's going to be what you use it for. In terms of core apps, I'm not too far removed from you (basically Facebook, Twitter, youtube, iPlayer, and a couple of news apps). Given the price bump the S7 has (was something like $750 US on release), I can't justify paying that for something I'll be wanting to change in a year/18 months. I think that's why the OnePlus calls out to me... beastly specs for much cheaper. Check out xiaomi as well (I think you can buy in the UK). Again, you have good specs for the price.

Yeah, I probably won't notice the difference other than £10 extra in my pocket each month, haha.

I don't think you can buy Xiaomi here. And the OnePlus3 looks good but I can't get that on EE, who I'm with.
  • Florianr104
    4303 posts National Call-Up
    Samsung Galaxy S7

Yeah, I probably won't notice the difference other than £10 extra in my pocket each month, haha.

I don't think you can buy Xiaomi here. And the OnePlus3 looks good but I can't get that on EE, who I'm with.

Comes down to what you'll notice less in the end.

I'd still go with the Galaxy, you won't regret that, but you might regret getting the Huawei.
  • Orikoru
    Huawei P9

Comes down to what you'll notice less in the end.

I'd still go with the Galaxy, you won't regret that, but you might regret getting the Huawei.

Regret nothing I say! lol

I dunno, I'm not someone that usually has to have the best phone or anything. My current (dying) one is the LG G3S and before that I had an HTC One or something. So I usually look at cost-effective models rather than getting the very best regardless of price.
  • shamheff1989
    2438 posts Fans' Favourite
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    I just got the S7 Edge and I love it. Changed from a Note 4. Never really used the stylus features on the Note so no major loss. Loving the speed of the Edge and it really does look and feel like a premium device.
  • Pepe Le DiLzZ
    14331 posts Has That Special Something
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Oh and the oneplus 3 is a serious phone.
  • stevvix
    8968 posts League Winner
    No idea but... I'm in the same situation. I'm out of contract and have an HTC 1 M8... looking around you can get an iPhone 6s for £28.50 a month and an HTC 10 for about £33 so I decided to get my PAC code (just got it) and will go for a Tesco sim only for £10 a month and wait and see what happens to prices when the iPhone 7 comes out.

• Bob_Dylan
    19224 posts World Class
    Samsung Galaxy S7

But iPhone > all imo

How to sound like a 13 year old girl
  • Torres4Lif3
    edited July 2016

But iPhone > all imo

Thats all you have?
  • Bob_Dylan
    19224 posts World Class
    Samsung Galaxy S7

But iPhone > all imo

Thats all you have?

That's all I need
  • stevvix
    8968 posts League Winner

But iPhone > all imo

How to sound like a Samsung groupie ;)

Really, they make great phones but they stuff too much crap software on them... need to go vanilla Android and they'd be the dog's B's
  • raz5229
    1092 posts Professional
    Not voted, need to ask, what do you want your phone to do??? Unless you have money to waste just go with the lower price phone.
  • Ishibum
    Huawei P9
    stevvix wrote: »
    No idea but... I'm in the same situation. I'm out of contract and have an HTC 1 M8... looking around you can get an iPhone 6s for £28.50 a month and an HTC 10 for about £33 so I decided to get my PAC code (just got it) and will go for a Tesco sim only for £10 a month and wait and see what happens to prices when the iPhone 7 comes out.

Funnily enough, the last two times I visited the UK, I bought a Tesco sim to use on my phone (lost the first one after I got back to Uruguay). If I was living there, buying sim free and picking one of these up would be the only way for me to go.

Regarding iOS vs Android, I do think Apple builds generally better phones than most of the competition. However, I do feel the software is lagging behind at the moment. It's all about the ecosystem though... I'm too tied into Google's services to make switching viable. Willing to bet there are a lot of Apple users in the same boat (from the opposite perspective).
  • Santiago
    21486 posts Club Captain
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    My S6 has been great. Worth buying so I'd take the S7
  • Derryboy
    1696 posts Play-Off Hero
    Love my Xperia
  • Xx_iou_cheesecake_xX
    2678 posts Fans' Favourite
    Huawei P9
    I'd go Xperia myself but out of the two options here the Huawei is overall the better phone imo.
  • i2-TempZ-2i
    6325 posts Big Money Move
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Currently looking into a new contract myself to upgrade to 4g and move over to EE so i can use my discount, no point working for them and not taking advantage of it but i was also looking into the S7 and personally it just seems the best phone on the market atm.