Forum Fantasy Premier League 2016/17

Chow
2525 posts Fans' Favourite
edited June 2017
kTo049d.png
FihSHMJ.png

"...the odds-makers have got him down as one of the favourites to be the first manager sacked in the Barclays Premier League. To be honest, they're 5000/1 to win the title and you know what, I don't think I'd even put a dollar on that". Twelve months on and few would disagree with Claudio Ranieri's description of 2015/16 Premier League season. Magic.

The new season is just around the corner and with it, Fantasy Premier League is back. After the thrills and spills of last year there's a lot to look forward to - I'm sure most of you know how this works by now, but if not there's an FAQ below as well as a link to the full list of rules. As far as I can tell there are no major changes from last year. Best of luck!

How can I join the (private) league?

First of all you must have entered a team in the game. Once you have a team, make sure that you have the correct league code (2776-1766) and that you are entering it in the format it is written.

How can I score points?
During the season, your fantasy football players will be allocated points based on their performance in the Premier League.

uUDekgf.png

What are chips?
Chips can be used to potentially enhance your team's performance during the season.

Only one chip can be played in a single Gameweek. The chips available are as follows:

Ysp5wVZ.png

The All Out Attack, Bench Boost and Triple Captain chips can each be used once a season and are played when saving your team on the my team page. They can be cancelled at anytime before the Gameweek deadline.

The Wildcard chip can be used twice a season, once in the first half of the season (before 31 Dec 14:00) and once in the second half of the season. The Wildcard chip is played when confirming transfers that cost points and can't be cancelled once played.

Where can I find a list of all the rules?
You can find the list of all the rules here.

Acknowledgments and history!
In previous years @Sokker14 and @Kaede hosted the thread/competition. @Sokker14 will continue to help me this year as league owner. You can view the 2015/16 thread here and the 2014/15 thread here.
Post edited by Chow on

Comments

• LiveArsenal
    1336 posts Professional
    edited July 2016
    f7IbnSY.png
    Not sure what my starter team should be. I know several Arsenal players will be on break but not sure who else won't be playing :/

What changes would you guys recommend?
  • DaveSaves
    20137 posts Club Captain
    f7IbnSY.png
    Not sure what my starter team should be. I know several Arsenal players will be on break but not sure who else won't be playing :/

Kante isn't going to score many and will possibly get booked a few times. Great player, not one for FL.

The front 3.. None of them. Lol
  • LiveArsenal
    1336 posts Professional
    DaveSaves wrote: »
    f7IbnSY.png

Kante isn't going to score many and will possibly get booked a few times. Great player, not one for FL.

The front 3.. None of them. Lol

That's exactly what I was thinking too lol but idk who my strikers should be. None of them look that enticing with the remaining money I have left
  • DaveSaves
    20137 posts Club Captain
    I personally think it's foolish not to have Aguero.

Then if you can afford them, look at Zlatan/Kane/Giroud. But there's also a lot of good goal scoring midfielders too. You have 3 of them. But what about Hazard, Ozil, Sanchez, Mikhi, Marital, KDB etc etc
  • Chow
    @LiveArsenal it's definitely worth looking into a United defender, given Mourinho has taken charge. Even under van Gaal they had a very good defensive record. However, it's hard to say who will start. The safe bet is Shaw, he gives you assist potential and with that, bonus points potential for 1-0 wins.

As for Fonte, I'd wait to see how Southampton are under Puel - they got off to a terribad start last year, conceding 5 to Newcastle and Everton alone (that Everton game was a massacre). If you really want a Southampton defender, van Dijk is a higher goal threat for the same price.
  • LiveArsenal
    1336 posts Professional
    Chow wrote: »
    @LiveArsenal it's definitely worth looking into a United defender, given Mourinho has taken charge. Even under van Gaal they had a very good defensive record. However, it's hard to say who will start. The safe bet is Shaw, he gives you assist potential and with that, bonus points potential for 1-0 wins.

As for Fonte, I'd wait to see how Southampton are under Puel - they got off to a terribad start last year, conceding 5 to Newcastle and Everton alone (that Everton game was a massacre). If you really want a Southampton defender, van Dijk is a higher goal threat for the same price.

Ok I'll definitely do that then. What about better strikers?
  • Chow
    Ok I'll definitely do that then. What about better strikers?
    Slightly biased but I think Austin or Long will be good value strikers at £6.5m (we'll have to wait and see which one starts, Austin's not played in 2016 due to injury).

In terms of premium strikers, Agüero is a must, much like the past two seasons (50 goals in 63 league appearances in that time). I wouldn't even say he was that consistent in 2015/16, there were times where he went 3/4/5 games without scoring which isn't ideal for the most expensive player in FPL. However, it's always risky to not captain (let alone not pick) Agüero when City play against bottom half teams...I found this out the hard way by captaining Payet instead of Agüero when he notched 5 against Newcastle last season.
  • Chow
    e148c3edc7b647cdb5d740c63d14867d.png

Finally sat down and spent a bit of time picking a first draft. I'm a little concerned about Spurs' early fixtures and how they'll perform given how many of their players went to the Euros...maybe I'll switch Eriksen out for Firmino and then replace Sturridge with a different premium striker.
  • Sokker14
    4247 posts National Call-Up
    Chow wrote: »
    e148c3edc7b647cdb5d740c63d14867d.png

Finally sat down and spent a bit of time picking a first draft. I'm a little concerned about Spurs' early fixtures and how they'll perform given how many of their players went to the Euros...maybe I'll switch Eriksen out for Firmino and then replace Sturridge with a different premium striker.
    I think you're better off with Shane Long and N'Golo Kanté than Callum Wilson and Jordy Clasie, keeping their first five fixtures in mind.
  • Chow
    Sokker14 wrote: »
    I think you're better off with Shane Long and N'Golo Kanté than Callum Wilson and Jordy Clasie, keeping their first five fixtures in mind.
    The problem, or at least my thought process in this situation was the fact that Bournemouth play attacking football - I have no idea how Southampton are going to shape up under Puel, both attacking wise and defensively.

That said, Wilson is more of a placeholder for a value rotation striker. 3-4-3 is generally my preferred formation, but after last season where there were very few consistent strikers and the abysmal Euros, I'm open to playing more defenders on a regular basis. Obviously we'll have to see how the season pans out.
  • Kaiduss
    742 posts Semi-Pro
    What do you guys think about Andre Gray? He seems like a must-have striker, given that he's a Championship top-scorer for just 6.5
    Opinions?
  • Chow
    Kaiduss wrote: »
    What do you guys think about Andre Gray? He seems like a must-have striker, given that he's a Championship top-scorer for just 6.5
    Opinions?
    I'd like to see who else Burnley sign, mostly in midfield, before putting any stock into them. That said, he could be similar to Ings of two years ago. Ings and Austin were two incredibly good value strikers as they grabbed all of the goals in two failing sides.

I wonder if they'll stick to 4-4-2 with Vokes and Gray like they did in the Championship, cause it seems Gray thrived off playing with another man up top.
  • Cory
    2070 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited July 2016
    Foster / Heaton

Shaw / Sagna / Souare / Pieters / Taylor

Hazard / Firmino / Mkhitaryan / Fischer / 4.5

Aguero / Lukaku / Long

This is where I'm at so far. I defiantly want the starting Saints striker, whether it's Long/Austin whoever, 6.5 is great value. Not really sure what 5.5 mid to go for, have Fischer there at the minute but Tore or Feghouli could be a decent shout but it depends which gets the starting role.
  • Chow
    9477af91bcfda54832aee03f5da19f2d.png

@Cory I updated my draft. It appears Stoke are a bit of a forgotten team, but having looked at their squad, pretty much all of their players are cheap. Apparently they've bid £20m on Berahino, and while I don't necessarily think he's worth the coin, they really lacked a striker last season. For now I've put Bojan in as a placeholder. I'd love to keep Eriksen but I'm not sure how Spurs will fair early on.

If only West Brom had a more reliable home/away rotation pairing besides Burnley, but as it is I can't afford a second 4.5m keeper right now.
  • Chow
    Ibe and Gradel are both 5.5m if you believe in the Bournemouth fairytale. @Cory
  • Cory
    edited July 2016
    @Chow I'm pretty tempted to use Jakupovic as well, the points difference to Heaton should be pretty minimal initially but it gives me that little extra cash to get into the Chelsea defence. Berahino is one to watch for me, could do well at Stoke. I like the Lukaku pick, think Everton will do well under Koeman, there fixtures are very good initially bar the Spurs game.
  • Chow
    @Cory Mmm Koeman the snake. Sad as it is to say, I also think they'll do well, and they haven't actually signed anyone yet so Lukaku is still their main source of goals (and it isn't even close).

I'd argue Spurs at home isn't a terrible game. All four of their starting defenders played in the knockout stages of the Euros...and that was off the back of Spurs' 2013901238129038912 game season last year. If Everton can grab someone like Mata or a non-fraud winger then I'm sold.

Initially I really wanted another £4.5m keeper + Hull's Robertson who I rate as a player, but for now I think it's sensible to take Jakupovic + a different £4.5m defender in order to save £0.5m for elsewhere (for example, the quality of forwards below £6.5m really drops off).
  • Cory
    @Chow Yeah, I'm not saying the Spurs game is terrible just one of the harder games you could start with although the point about the Euro's could play a part. There fixtures beyond that; West Brom, Stoke, Sunderland, Boro, Bournemouth and Palace are hard to look by, you'd expect goals.

Mata would be a good way to save cash if he does go to Everton, 7.5 is good value. I like Tadic's prospects as well but I'm not feeling a double up in attack, especially with the new manager, just yet.

At 5.5 the options I can see are Fischer, Gradel/Ibe and Tore/Feghouli. The West Ham one I'm interested in as its a cheap way to get into there team especially with Payets price and the lack of a top tier striker. Carroll did decent for them towards the end of last season but I don't think I'd trust him all the time :lol:
  • ScorcherPrime
    3709 posts National Call-Up
    Great, back from Cuba and I can't even login
  • Chow
    @Cory Töre had a couple of bright sparks against England in that pre-Euro friendly, other than that I don't really know anything about him. I'm not sure how West Ham will line up now, given that Sakho looks to be on his way out, and their only RB is Sam Byram (I've picked him up for now). I know Antonio played a few games there last season but he's listed as a midfielder.

Maybe something like?
    Adrián
    Byram Reid Ogbonna Cresswell
    Noble Kouyaté
    Feghouli Payet Töre
    Carroll

With Lanzini coming in for either Feghouli or Töre once he's back from the Olympics and Payet shifting to the left?
  • Cory
    edited July 2016
    @Chow West Hams team tonight vs Rubin Kazan gives us a good insight into what the team will be. Antonio likely to carry on RB and obviously Payet, Reid + Ogbonna slot back in.

Adrian
    Antonio - Nordtveit - Burke - Cresswell
    Noble - Kouyate
    Feghouli - Quina - Töre
    Valencia

Probably gonna gamble on one of Feghouli or Töre, both very cheap.

• Domination
    1462 posts Professional
    Lots still to happen yet that could sway bringing in a player for my team.
    Stones to City ? 5.0 would be decent value.
    Costa on the move ? Makes the CHE striker spot interesting.
    Will most of the late euro players be back for GW1 ? Ozil, Giroud, Payet ETC

At this early stage the only player I will put in my team 100% is Aguero.
    Baines, and a UTD defender 90%.

Nice to see what a couple of others are thinking though.
  • Chow
    Domination wrote: »
    Lots still to happen yet that could sway bringing in a player for my team.
    Stones to City ? 5.0 would be decent value.
    Costa on the move ? Makes the CHE striker spot interesting.
    Will most of the late euro players be back for GW1 ? Ozil, Giroud, Payet ETC

Nice to see what a couple of others are thinking though.
    Was discussing this with @Sokker14, the Euros/Copa/Olympics makes an early wildcard even more attractive this season. I've personally avoided Arsenal/Spurs players for now until they get into the swing of things.

I'm fairly sure City will sign a CB by the end of the window. Demi's gone, Mangala and Otamendi were utter frauds last season and even Kompany looked a little washed with all his injuries. It's a shame Clichy/Kolarov tend to rotate, Kolarov was excellent at the start of last season when Clichy was injured.
  • Domination
    1462 posts Professional
    I have also tried to avoid Spurs and Arsenal players in initial thoughts. Only thinking is Cech. Arsenal do well with clean sheets, and he is the cheapest guaranteed starter (5.5) although Mert and Gabriel are 5.0 but there's a rotation risk.

Agree completely with City picking the defence is a big problem. Sagna almost made RB his own last season with injury & poor performances from Zabaleta, Kolarov started at LB due to Clichy being injured but it wasn't long until he was dropped to the bench for Gael. The fullback rotation at city is always worrying. Kompany can't get more then a few games. Stones at 5.0m will be good value if he plays and is not rotated with Otamendi. Nothing worse in FF when your defender is left out and the team get a clean sheet.

Still early days so plenty of time to see what happens
  • Kellnerr
    2580 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited July 2016

Exactly what I was thinking

edit: isn't there a watchlist yet or ist it me that cannot find it lol
  • Chow
    Kellnerr wrote: »
    isn't there a watchlist yet or is it me that cannot find it lol
    @Kellnerr You can do this via My Team for anyone in your squad, or for all players via Transfers. In this example I headed onto Transfers and searched for the player I wanted to add to the watchlist.

3yovWjM.png

Click the small i to the left of the player name and kit.

vQrV4XL.png

Click Add to watchlist. You can view your entire watchlist via the Transfers tab by selecting Watchlist from the View drop-down menu under Player Selection.
  • Kellnerr
    2580 posts Fans' Favourite
    @Chow ah alright, many thanks :)
  • LiveArsenal
    1336 posts Professional
    I have also tried to avoid Spurs and Arsenal players in initial thoughts. Only thinking is Cech. Arsenal do well with clean sheets, and he is the cheapest guaranteed starter (5.5) although Mert and Gabriel are 5.0 but there's a rotation risk.

Agree completely with City picking the defence is a big problem. Sagna almost made RB his own last season with injury & poor performances from Zabaleta, Kolarov started at LB due to Clichy being injured but it wasn't long until he was dropped to the bench for Gael. The fullback rotation at city is always worrying. Kompany can't get more then a few games. Stones at 5.0m will be good value if he plays and is not rotated with Otamendi. Nothing worse in FF when your defender is left out and the team get a clean sheet.

Still early days so plenty of time to see what happens

Also the fact that Alexis, Ozil, Ramsey, Giroud, and Kos are getting a month off
  • Kaiduss
    742 posts Semi-Pro
    edited July 2016
    Lh7682e.png

I think I'm finally done. The team will probably be changed about 325765 times before the season starts but whatever, I want to share this one :smiley:
  • Chow
    @Kaiduss I'm finding it quite difficult to justify picking any Watford players at the moment. Not only do they have a tough schedule on paper, but they sacked Flores who got the club promoted. The only reason they stayed up last season was because Flores set the team up to concede as few goals as possible - they were very difficult to beat at home. Without Ighalo's good form, they basically didn't score, I think the picked up something like 5 points in the final 10 games of the season.

I've personally bottled Lukaku for now due to just how frustrating a player he is...the streakiest premium striker in the league bar maybe Giroud. However, I can see why people have picked him. Wimmer could be a steal if Vertonghen is indeed out for the first 3/4 games and you plan on using an early WC.