What a bad year to be Rafa Benitez...

BCBeneli
1432 posts Play-Off Hero
From getting his dream job coaching real Madrid, to getting fired on less than 6 months, to having your replacement a new coach with almost no experience perform way better than you, to going to Newcastle and have them descend.... That's a huge blow to his credibility as a manager

Comments

• finsfan85
    14091 posts Has That Special Something
    Newcastle going down is hardly his fault. Club was already destined for relegation and Rafa would've been (and was nearly) a hero to keep them in the Premier League.
  • maTTeOs_mAZzA
    3259 posts National Call-Up
    But he now has the opportunity to regain what he has lost by taking them back up and possibly establishing them as a Prem team again.

That's if he will hang around of course. Something tells me that he's not willing to manage in the Championship.
  • Quinn87
    1898 posts Fans' Favourite
    But he now has the opportunity to regain what he has lost by taking them back up and possibly establishing them as a Prem team again.

That's if he will hang around of course. Something tells me that he's not willing to manage in the Championship.

Hee has a clause in his contract.. He has the choice to walk away from them if they were relegated. Would like to see him stay and bring them back up, maybe after seeing what Leicester have done he may be up for the challenege! He did well to clean up the mess that mclaren made (possibly the worst manager I've ever seen.)
  • DirtyDishFC
    11028 posts Moderator
    BCBeneli wrote: »
    From getting his dream job coaching real Madrid, to getting fired on less than 6 months, to having your replacement a new coach with almost no experience perform way better than you, to going to Newcastle and have them descend.... That's a huge blow to his credibility as a manager

Newcastle should have sacked McClaren a month earlier and if they got Benitez then, they likely would have been safe. Though sunderland seems to have some sort of magic that they continuously avoid relegation.
  • iflynno
    933 posts Semi-Pro
    Newcastle were always going down. Not Benitez fault. He will get another decent job in Europe.
  • HolgerBadstuber
    5212 posts Big Money Move
    He'll end up back at Valencia at some point.
  • truegunn3r
    12303 posts Has That Special Something
    edited May 2016
    I think he was rushed to the sacking at RM and whereas Newcastle is concerned he has only been there since 2 months with no transfer window so yes he got 3 losses out of 9 games which wasn't completely his fault.

I don't think his credentials are damaged at the slightest, any big club would still love to take him.

But hey, he's made a pocket full of cash from these two clubs. Not the baddest year for him! ;)
  • BCBeneli
    1432 posts Play-Off Hero
    Hola