Belgium ■ The Golden Generation ■ Road to World Cup 2018

Comments

• Ashy
    9506 posts League Winner
    lRZ4B1j.png
    With the final two qualifier fixtures looming, Belgium are the only team in their group feeling a little comfortable right now, 5 points clear of second and virtually only a point needed to make sure they top the group they will be looking to get that at home against Norway.

Two points separate 2nd and 6th, anyone can qualify it is wide open, so all eyes will be locked on this group's games this week. Belgium captain Vincent Kompany had this to say, "It has been a difficult group, you have teams like Holland who did brilliant in the World Cup in Brazil then you have teams like Sweden with one of the best players in Europe leading their line and the fight some of the other teams like Ireland and Norway have is incredible, it really shows the gap between the big nations and the so called 'smaller nations' has really shrunk".

In other news:
    • Belgium centre back Björn Engels has impressed Marc Wilmots and has earned a call up for the final two qualifiers, with an impressive end to the season for Club Brugge, is it hard to not include him in the team said the Belgium manager. It will be difficult to break in to the team with Kompany and Vermaelen ahead of him but with a few friendlies before the Euro 2016 it is expected Wilmots will be giving some younger guys a chance to prove themselves.
    • Wilmots also commented on his in-form striker Christian Benteke saying "Right now he is quite simply undroppable, he has carried his club Aston Villa to a top 8 finish in the Premier League and is our top goalscorer in the qualifiers". Benteke is wanted all around Europe by some of the biggest clubs in the world and could play a vital role if Belgium are to win the Euro's or World cup any time soon.
  • LaMertesackerRun
    6214 posts Big Money Move
    Pretty good results so far, KIU :) Sublime graphics. Nice to be near the top of the leader board, so close to 1st. :'(
  • Alastair
    10022 posts Moderator
    edited May 2015
    Some great results to get yourself top. Looking at the GD you are as good as qualified.. :smiley:

Shame to see you lose the Dutch derby though. :(
  • Ashy
    9506 posts League Winner
    Pretty good results so far, KIU :) Sublime graphics. Nice to be near the top of the leader board, so close to 1st. :'(
    Yeah stand out players so far De Bruyne and Benteke, some of the defenders and Courtois may catch up with I get some clean sheets, finding it hard to defend right now, trying to see the best formation for this team.
    Alastair wrote: »
    Some great results to get yourself top. Looking at the GD you are as good as qualified.. :smiley:

Shame to see you lose the Dutch derby though. :(
    No last minute nervy matches makes me happy, the other 5 teams will be playing their hearts out trying to qualify to will be a tough last couple of matches
    Yeah I'm hoping to get revenge if we meet up at the Euro 2016 tournament that is if Holland qualify
  • Ashy
    9506 posts League Winner
    LQQFqz1.png
    VmseJE7.png

• Alastair
    10022 posts Moderator
    You really did appear to choke towards the end of qualifying, at least you did well enough early on to get through. :)
    Ashy wrote: »
    Yeah I'm hoping to get revenge if we meet up at the Euro 2016 tournament that is if Holland qualify

That would be a great final. :smiley:
  • Great updates, my man :).

Disappointing that some points were dropped :(
  • dannyboy
    12802 posts Has That Special Something
    The Netherlands in fourth place. :D Good luck in the European Championship. B) Can I sponsor someone, or is it too late?
  • Ashy
    9506 posts League Winner
    StickLight wrote: »
    Great updates, my man :).

Disappointing that some points were dropped :(
    Yeah I've been struggling to get the best out of Hazard and other key players, hopefully after a few friendlies I will be ready for the Euro's
    dannyboy wrote: »
    The Netherlands in fourth place. :D Good luck in the European Championship. B) Can I sponsor someone, or is it too late?
    Thanks man, you can still sponsor a player if you want just give me a name :)

• Ashy
    9506 posts League Winner
    Eob2p9e.png
  • Ashy
    9506 posts League Winner
    RhkB5GV.png
  • Beautiful victories.
  • Ashy
    9506 posts League Winner
    Beautiful victories.
    Thanks, Belgium are turning it up a gear now, only 4 more friendlies left I think before the big tournament

• LaMertesackerRun
    2 good results, form's pretty good atm. :)
  • Ashy
    9506 posts League Winner
    2 good results, form's pretty good atm. :)
    Yeah don't know why I found it so hard to keep a clean sheet and to score in qualifiers but friendlies I'm scoring no problem and defender a lot better but I have since changed to a 3-5-2 formation so it might be that

• Ashy
    9506 posts League Winner
    oPXNLHb.png
  • Awesome victories, man! :smiley:
    Just need Kompany to score more goals ><
  • Alastair
    10022 posts Moderator
    edited May 2015
    Great form in those friendlies.

Good to see some clean sheets as well, I need them.
    Post edited by Alastair on
  • Ashy
    9506 posts League Winner
    Awesome victories, man! :smiley:
    Just need Kompany to score more goals ><
    He almost scored in the last game, really the only way he will score is from corners and it's not working out so far
    Great form in those friendlies.

Good too see some clean sheets as well, I need them.
    Yeah its weird playing 3 at the back is getting me clean sheets rather than playing 4 at the back in the qualifiers

• Ashy
    9506 posts League Winner
    D3y2M6R.png
  • Ashy
    9506 posts League Winner
    KWQPPXo.png
  • Great form.
  • Ashy
    9506 posts League Winner
    Great form.
    Thanks, Euro 2016 updates coming up shortly

• Ashy
    9506 posts League Winner
    edited May 2015
    D0rUSh7.png
    Belgium are all set and ready to go as they head off to France for Euro 2016. Marc Wilmots was joined by Belgium captain Vincent Kompany as they took a press conference before the big tournament kicks off.

Kompany was asked about how he feels about their chances of going far in the competition, the captain replied "We are confident we can at least make it to the Semi-Finals, that would be a good achievement for us, but of course we want to go all the way and be champions of Europe, We have been on a good winning run but you have to remember these are friendlies, competitive games are a whole different story so we must be alert and play our football for the first minute".

Marc Wilmots completely changed the way he approached games after the qualifiers, changing his formation and adding in younger blood to the squad, Wilmots had this to say, "It is a risk playing this formation at times but we have defended much better playing 3 at the back, one problem for us is the lack of quality full-backs and too many good central defenders so that was one of the main reasons for me, and I wanted to pack the midfield with 5 players. Playing 3-5-2 has worked wonders, so let's see if it pays off on the big stage".

In other news:
    • Marc Wilmots has revealed his 23 man squad for the European Championship, some may be surprised to see the name Youri Tielemans there, at only 19 years of age the central midfielder has played a few games and scored his first goal in a friendly against India. He has done enough to impress the Belgian manager and will travel with the squad to France.
    • UEFA have revealed the Euro 2016 group stage fixtures and tables, Belgium will be in Group A along side World Cup Winners Germany and Scotland and Northern Ireland. Belgium and Germany will be a mouthwatering clash early in the tournament and give the Belgians a good challenge early on.
  • Ashy
    9506 posts League Winner
    n8izimn.png
    Pb9gUDd.png

• Interesting group, going to be very tough against Germany!

Best of luck :)
  • Alastair
    10022 posts Moderator
    Great friendly form and a fairly good group draw. Apart from Fellaini your squad seems to be improving well. :smiley:

Is this in CM? That is the wrong Euro 2016 format. There are 24 teams now, I'll mention it to Rob tomorrow if this is the case.
  • LaMertesackerRun
    Should be able to get through the group, in good form to do well. De Bruyne scoring a lot of points :) The squad looks pretty good tbh.
  • Ashy
    9506 posts League Winner
    edited May 2015
    Interesting group, going to be very tough against Germany!

Best of luck :)
    Thank you, Germans will be hard but it gives me a chance to play a good team early and I might avoid them until the final if I make it through,

Great friendly form and a fairly good group draw. Apart from Fellaini your squad seems to be improving well. :smiley:

Is this in CM? That is the wrong Euro 2016 format. There are 24 teams now, I'll mention it to Rob tomorrow if this is the case.

Thanks, Fellaini is there to make up the numbers, don't rate him highly but if I need someone of his expertise then I'll give him a game or so, Witsel does the job well

This is fifa 15 CM yeah, it is wrong that there are only 16 teams so hopefully they get it right in fifa 16, not sure if it is a one off or it will happen in 2020 as well. I also noticed there are 27 European international teams in fifa 15 so hopefully they add more in that would mean every Euro's there are 3 teams missing out!
    Post edited by Ashy on
  • Ashy
    9506 posts League Winner
    Should be able to get through the group, in good form to do well. De Bruyne scoring a lot of points :) The squad looks pretty good tbh.
    Yeah squad has improved loads, key players are hitting their prime age too and De Bruyne is top of the sponsor points right now :)