Guide to Defending: What do you want to see?

1
Chow
2525 posts Fans' Favourite
edited June 2015
Update (13/6/15): Now that my exams are over, drafting has started. If there's anything else you'd like to see, I will keep referring back to this thread so have your say!

With 'defending' being such a key component of FIFA, it's surprising to see that the forum has barely scratched the surface on the topic. Thus, along with the other writers, I'd like to set a draft for a 'Guide to Defending' in motion.

iXnPbnEAWNbcj.gif

This is where you guys/gals come in. What would you like to see in this guide? We want to make sure all of the bases are covered, so even if you think your response is a bit 'obvious', don't be afraid to have your say!

Community requests thus far (in no particular order):
  • Defending against various tactics and playstyles, such as 'zig-zag runs, through balls, counter attacks, the kick off run, crosses...'
  • Preventing or limiting various mechanics people struggle against, such as that 'surging chest touch'.
  • Defending with slow players.
  • Defending with three at the back formations (could talk about each category, including four/five at the back).
  • The pros and cons of jockey vs contain (could bring in 'positioning' your defenders, anticipation, tracking runners, etc. in here).
  • Manual switching.
  • Push and pull.
  • Player instructions for defenders (I know @Liam9lfc said he'd like to write up a section on this).
  • What to look for when building a solid defensive core? This could feed into the Squad Building section, or something like this: Effective Cores on Ultimate Team
Post edited by Chow on

Comments

  • Xeque
    589 posts An Exciting Prospect
    1. Zig-Zag runs.
    2. How to avoid being countered if you're a possession player.
  • ChrisLFC
    7027 posts Big Money Move
    edited May 2015
    Players should be able to track runs properly and not just stand still and let a defender sprint past them.

    This is for someone who is good at defending and has won multiple Div 1 titles off the back of good defending.

    Back on topic you should try out a back 3 4 and 5.
  • Liam9lfc
    8527 posts League Winner
    Tim using a clip of a 76 Pace CB darting down the slow fabregas...

    WE WANNA SEE JOHN TERRY CHOW
  • SaifR
    12842 posts Has That Special Something
    How to tackle without insantly losing it.

    Also, how to maximise your chances of a successful tackle.
  • Dasco
    6476 posts Big Money Move
    Plenty of people could make use of how to build the defensive core of the team. The amount of people I see use teams like Alves - Ramos - Pique - Marcelo with Kroos at CDM & then moan when they lose is unreal.
  • Vascs79
    41 posts Park Captain
    edited May 2015
    Xeque wrote: »
    1. Zig-Zag runs.
    2. How to avoid being countered if you're a possession player.



    Exactly this. And Pros and cons of jockey vs Contain, what situations to use them
  • UM4R
    3839 posts Moderator
    Manual switching between players would be good to include
  • Dare to Benteke
    287 posts Sunday League Hero
    How to defend BIabany as he weaves through everyone at full speed
  • DeeJay-00
    1717 posts Play-Off Hero
    How to defend BIabany as he weaves through everyone at full speed

    You gotta track back with him and make the tackle as he just cuts in or crosses
  • Dropkiik Murphy
    1086 posts Professional
    For me it has to be counter attacks.
  • Gyan_33
    28751 posts Player of the Year
    edited May 2015
    Zig zag runs and those ''sliding shots''

    Oh and when your defender stops running when your opponent plays an over the top though ball.
  • TheGabc
    1938 posts Play-Off Hero
    Some Terry or any other slow cb defending
  • Thatoe
    425 posts Sunday League Hero
    Could use some tips for defending with 3atb formations. :)
  • ChelseaFan10
    1 posts
    edited May 2015
    I think everyone would like to know how we should setup to limit high through balls, crosses, Pacey players etc.

    And the tactics you should use like instructions on players, man marking.. stuff like that

    and when players sprint with the ball like the 'kick off glitch', its hard to get the ball off them unless you commit a foul.
  • Deadly_Dexter
    444 posts Sunday League Hero
    For me it would be about positioning, tracking and containing against different play styles....too often I lunge in, it works a lot of the time but means when I make mistakes they are big-uns :)
  • Chow
    2525 posts Fans' Favourite
    Thanks for all of the feedback so far! Keep it coming!
  • Orikoru
    10712 posts Has That Special Something
    edited May 2015
    I'd mainly be interested in how to prevent the seemingly unpreventable. How to stop your goalkeeper from going full Simple Jack? How to stop that rapid winger jinking through your defence, even when you predict exactly what he's doing but your defender doesn't respond to your command? How to stop your centre backs advancing two yards when a long ball is going over their heads and they should be back-pedalling?
  • Fumbler
    2509 posts Fans' Favourite
    I just want to know how to barge people off the ball. 1 out of every 5 matches or so i'll come up against someone who always has 2 guys breathing down my neck with multiple players. Most of the time his defenders will be waiting for my attacker before I even get the ball. When I do get it, I instantly get run over or barged off the ball, and they get a quick counter through ball. Shielding doesn't work. Using the trigger to fend them off doesn't really work. So, how do they do it?

    I've tried changing every single tactic in this game and my players never respond to any remote kind of defensive pressure. The only one ever applying pressure is the guy I'm manually controlling. And, if there's any lag whatsoever, it's pretty easy to get past me. If I try containing, my defender just keeps his distance 5 yards away from the attacker and easily gets beat by just a regular sprint dribble.

    It some times feels like my AI is amateur while my opponents have legendary AI.

    Any advice as to how they do it or what I'm doing wrong would be appreciated. :)
  • Fumbler
    2509 posts Fans' Favourite
    How to defend BIabany as he weaves through everyone at full speed

    Last night I had Van Persie running at me. I had to do a double take because he was literally moving faster than the usual suspects (Auba, Remy, Doumbia, Ibarbo, etc.). No idea what that was all about or how he made him so fast.
  • Masakari
    876 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Fumbler wrote: »
    How to defend BIabany as he weaves through everyone at full speed

    Last night I had Van Persie running at me. I had to do a double take because he was literally moving faster than the usual suspects (Auba, Remy, Doumbia, Ibarbo, etc.). No idea what that was all about or how he made him so fast.
    Aside from an attribute card, lag can cause that.
  • Fumbler wrote: »
    I just want to know how to barge people off the ball. 1 out of every 5 matches or so i'll come up against someone who always has 2 guys breathing down my neck with multiple players. Most of the time his defenders will be waiting for my attacker before I even get the ball. When I do get it, I instantly get run over or barged off the ball, and they get a quick counter through ball. Shielding doesn't work. Using the trigger to fend them off doesn't really work. So, how do they do it?

    I've tried changing every single tactic in this game and my players never respond to any remote kind of defensive pressure. The only one ever applying pressure is the guy I'm manually controlling. And, if there's any lag whatsoever, it's pretty easy to get past me. If I try containing, my defender just keeps his distance 5 yards away from the attacker and easily gets beat by just a regular sprint dribble.

    It some times feels like my AI is amateur while my opponents have legendary AI.

    Any advice as to how they do it or what I'm doing wrong would be appreciated. :)
    This is my problem to, I really want some advice how to fight this problem. Help neeeded!
  • Chow
    2525 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited May 2015
    I think everyone would like to know how we should setup to limit high through balls, crosses, Pacey players etc.

    And the tactics you should use like instructions on players, man marking.. stuff like that

    and when players sprint with the ball like the 'kick off glitch', its hard to get the ball off them unless you commit a foul.

    @ChelseaFan10 I already know that @Liam9lfc has requested to write up a section specifically on player instructions and how you can get the best out of them, so that will certainly be covered. Your other points have also been noted.

    Again, thank you to everyone for all the ideas, keep them coming!
  • Chow
    2525 posts Fans' Favourite
    Updated OP with the community requests so far!
  • Shaanxz
    20293 posts Club Captain
    How to defend during laggy matches
  • WFCBagnall
    69478 posts Moderator
    @DareToZlatan would be very interested in this guide
  • A5B
    2975 posts National Call-Up
    How to tackle and actually keep the ball (so as to avoid your opponent trucking through your defenders' every challenge).
  • Monsta
    1794 posts Play-Off Hero
    Although I don't personally need it, I think a section on how to use Auto Switching as an advantage whilst defending would help a lot of people.
  • Chow
    2525 posts Fans' Favourite
    A5B wrote: »
    How to tackle and actually keep the ball (so as to avoid your opponent trucking through your defenders' every challenge).

    Certainly this is going to take quite a bit of testing since it happens so often, especially against stronger players, and the likes of Ronaldo. @A5B
  • I want to know how to defend against LB+Y...how to be 1st on the ball AND when I do get the ball, what I have to do to prevent the opponent from stealing it back & what to do in general.

    It really bugs me when I have the ball with defender, going towards my goal, and opponent starts pressuring me from the back, steals it and scores. Hard to explain, sorry.
  • A5B
    2975 posts National Call-Up
    Chow wrote: »
    A5B wrote: »
    How to tackle and actually keep the ball (so as to avoid your opponent trucking through your defenders' every challenge).

    Certainly this is going to take quite a bit of testing since it happens so often, especially against stronger players, and the likes of Ronaldo. @A5B

    Understood. I'm not looking for a sure-fire solution, just something that generally helps, whether it be positionally or otherwise.
Sign In or Register to comment.