Always overlap on fullbacks in higher divisions

Makeso
6 posts Ball Boy
Do any of you use 'always overlap' on the fullbacks in division 1? If so, why do you guys prefer it over defaul? And does using always overlap really make you more susceptible for counter attacks?

Comments

• ChrisLFC
    7343 posts League Winner
    I have my instructions set to balanced and my fullbacks gets caught up the field all the time. You definitely would be exposed on the counter if you lost possession. I think it depends on how important a fullbacks involvement in your build up play is.
  • Remzy69
    2102 posts Fans' Favourite
    Overlap is suicide imo. I used that for a long time, but since I went to balanced I have been winning much more games in div 1.
  • pumavii
    1718 posts Play-Off Hero
    use balance runs and if you want your outside back to make a run tap the R1 button when your faceing him and he will make the run .
  • RadioShaq
    16208 posts Moderator
    If you read liam and sokkers passing and 4231 guides in the stickies they have them set to always overlap.
  • CaptEcuador16
    1874 posts Play-Off Hero
    I have it on always overlap since I use 4231 and they allow my wide cams to cut in. I do get countered but I've learned how to defend counters successfully so it's no problem. And you will probably give up typical ❤️❤️❤️❤️ goals anyways so might as go attacking and try to put as many past your opponent as possible. I'm in D1 with those tactics
  • TheSuperDerek
    2900 posts Fans' Favourite
    Always overlap. Fullbacks can be one of the most important part of your team when used correctly.
  • Liam W
    2820 posts Fans' Favourite
    No point IMO, crossing doesn't work at all this year.
  • LittleAnt
    1201 posts Professional
    Personally I think it's dependent upon the formation you use and also the personnel you are asking to make the runs
  • Lilwhit
    516 posts Sunday League Hero
    Always overlap. Fullbacks can be one of the most important part of your team when used correctly.

This. Since I stopped telling them say back my gamellay has improved a bit. They give u that option to retainpossession. Best way to defend against counters are losing the ball in the right areas of the pitch meaning know when to play it safe or risky.
  • jordansky1111
    6946 posts Big Money Move
    Yes. Always overlap is great. Particularly effective with players like Ivanovic imo as tbey wouldnt join the attack till late anyway.
  • xXTato99Xx
    1300 posts Professional
    I do on my formation (4231(1)) it's very useful as it gives me some width (really dont know how to spell that word xD)
  • Denz
    2871 posts Fans' Favourite
    It depends on your formation. I think in a narrow formation your fullbacks getting forward to offer a pass out wide can help the transition through the midfield. You can of course tap the player run button but I often find with the full backs when I have pressed it the opportunity for the pass to them has gone.

As per liam and sokkers 4231 guide I usually have them on overlap in that formation, as I do with the diamond but prefer balanced for others.

When working well it's a fantastic way to to not only keep possession but also overload that section of the pitch. Of course you are open to the counter.

Try it and see whether you find you score or create more as opposed to the amount you concede from them being out of position.