With these prices, 100K packs are not worth it anymore.

AbuNegus
1229 posts Professional
To make profit from a 100k pack you have to pack either Bale, Robben, Suarez, Neymar, Messi or Ronaldo.
That's ridiculous considering most of the blue cards won't be over 100k except of the elite.
I love the new prices don't get me wrong, I managed to buy Messi for the first time ever on FUT.
But the pack prices are not really fair in comparison to player prices. What are your thoughts?

Comments

• romannet
    417 posts An Exciting Prospect
    yes agree, to have profit from 7,5k pack, you have to be superlucky or no chance, normaly if you have 50k pack, you will get back max about 15k when you are lucky. I think prices of players are fine comparing to coins per match etc, but pack prices are too high
  • nearly always is the case
  • Liam W
    2753 posts Fans' Favourite
    Well, it has to be. If you were guaranteed to at least get a break even then everybody would open packs and the market wouldn't work. In order to give the incentive of elite players this has to be balanced with the chance of getting rubbish.

Of course you could argue that is is far too heavily tipped in the balance of rubbish atm, but that's a different debate.
  • romannet
    417 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Liam W wrote: »
    Well, it has to be. If you were guaranteed to at least get a break even then everybody would open packs and the market wouldn't work. In order to give the incentive of elite players this has to be balanced with the chance of getting rubbish.

Of course you could argue that is is far too heavily tipped in the balance of rubbish atm, but that's a different debate.

well tbh, I am not saying you should get in each pack top class player, but when the avarage, but still good players have price around 3k, then chance that you will get the profit is minimal - I think this mostly leads to non open packs, just because does not worht it at all. If the pack price fo 3 rare items would be e.g. 5k then you still do not need to get profit, but still have better chance.
  • ContraCode64
    2521 posts Fans' Favourite
    Given the cardweights in 16, you could argue they haven't been worth buying all year.

Also I'm sure EA would much rather you buy 100k packs with FP instead of coins and that way, technically whatever you pull you're in "profit" in game.
  • Uncle Remus
    2020 posts Fans' Favourite
    The closest you'll come to making it worth it will be during TOTS and paying with FP
  • heavymcd
    10068 posts Has That Special Something
    Packs are a coin sink, and work similarly to gambling. You pay 100K, odds are you will get back less than 100K, but there's a small but nonzero chance you walk with much, much more than 100K (for instance, packing Pele).

It's not clear to me what the actual expected value of 100K packs is over a large number....it's almost certainly still negative. But at least in theory it should approach some sort of equilibrium, where as prices venture too low people stop opening them, then the player prices rise (as supply has gone down), and so on.

But that assumes a rational market, and the playerbase is often anything but.
  • LoboNobo
    6460 posts Big Money Move
    As if they were ever worth it
  • heavymcd
    10068 posts Has That Special Something
    LoboNobo wrote: »

First couple weeks of the game, maybe. Back when Lucas was 30K.
  • LoboNobo
    6460 posts Big Money Move
    heavymcd wrote: »
    LoboNobo wrote: »

First couple weeks of the game, maybe. Back when Lucas was 30K.

That's like ancient history though
  • RBailss
    13834 posts Has That Special Something
    Thats why you never open packs with coins... About 99% of the time, you won't make profit.
  • MiIan
    12612 posts Has That Special Something
    Packs are only worth it in the beginning of the year when every player is worth over 1k. Players like Pjanic and Naingolan for an example were around 20k in the beginning of FIFA 16.
  • Boysie91
    11294 posts Has That Special Something
    last year i had 13 mill opened every special pack managed to pack 30+ TOTS including Neymar ended up with 7 mill after TOTS was over with CR7, Messi, Neymar, Bale, Ibra, Aguero etc in my club
  • DUKESTER-x
    2839 posts National Call-Up
    KingDutch wrote: »
    Packs are only worth it in the beginning of the year when every player is worth over 1k. Players like Pjanic and Naingolan for an example were around 20k in the beginning of FIFA 16.

This. Draft is so rewarding for once
  • hayhor1
    15078 posts World Class
    Given the cardweights in 16, you could argue they haven't been worth buying all year.

Also I'm sure EA would much rather you buy 100k packs with FP instead of coins and that way, technically whatever you pull you're in "profit" in game.

Pretty much this.
  • DeOuweDibbes
    597 posts An Exciting Prospect
    KingDutch wrote: »
    I agree, most of the time I open some packs when I grab the game and keep playing with the team I can buy with those coins. And upgrade with match coins (plus bonus) when players are dirth cheap. :smiley:
  • RWU
    2978 posts National Call-Up
    For every 100k coins you spend on pack.. Most People I reckon get 20k back .. Cos most of what U get will be discard NIF...
  • Scottish21
    2236 posts Fans' Favourite
    Always best to trying make your coins earlier in the game.
  • Rumplefish
    18748 posts World Class
    You get 24 players in a 100k, to make a profit you don't need Ronaldo or Messi, you just need that that the sum value of the 24 players will be above 100k, so even packing TOTS Buffarini along with 10 other players worth 60k together is enough. It's still not very likely and you still have to be lucky, but it's not as bad as you make it sound.

Anyway, packs are a gamble and a very bad one because you'll most likely lose coins, if anything now is a better a time to open packs that last week.
  • Kove
    4393 posts National Call-Up
    edited May 2016
    Would you rather buy 100k packs or play draft offline six and a half times?
  • Seandimes
    2987 posts National Call-Up
    Its just impossible to have everything the community wants combined - affordable good players, good cardweight but at the same time packs being worth their coins ... how is that supposed to work
  • Dutchcaliber
    2788 posts Fans' Favourite
    Seandimes wrote: »
    Its just impossible to have everything the community wants combined - affordable good players, good cardweight but at the same time packs being worth their coins ... how is that supposed to work

This is not true. They could make packs cheaper but they wont do that since nobody will buy packs with fifa points anymore.
  • RadioShaq
    15972 posts Moderator
    The only way would be limit the amount of packs everyone can buy per day. The problem is people just keep buying packs even when its not worth it. Although I do enjoy cheaper players than pack value.
  • Ravz9
    25767 posts Player of the Year

This is not true. They could make packs cheaper but they wont do that since nobody will buy packs with fifa points anymore.

Yes but that would cause players to decrease in value and so make the change pointless?
  • RWU
    2978 posts National Call-Up
    Kove wrote: »
    Would you rather buy 100k packs or play draft offline six and a half times?

Better value playing draft I suppose? although some may not be pure rare gold players pack ..
  • Dutchcaliber
    Ravz9 wrote: »

Yes but that would cause players to decrease in value and so make the change pointless?

Thats not always true. We dont know how many players open packs with fifa points and coins. We dont know the actual numbers in wich packs will increase in getting opened. Right now i think almost anyone who opens packs opens it with fifa points. Since its useless to open them with coins.

Alot of players that are opening packs with fifa poins will open packs with coins than. We dont know how much of an increase the opening of packs will be.

What we do know is that packs are not value for money. For a 100k you can get insane players but there is such a slim chance to even get a player who is worth 100k out of a 100k pack. So why buy the pack if you can just buy the player?
  • Ravz9
    If you lower the price of packs you do realise it means you allow more people to naturally have the chance to buy them? The reason fp are used are not only as you lose nothing but because they don't think it's worth the risk, If you lower prices theres less risk etc... And so more ate opened and more players flood the market, and you've got the same issue over again. It would have the same impact as lowering the enter price for a slot machine, people naturally like opening packs, and this allows them to open more, but mainly with coins.
  • Ravz9
    "why buy the pack if you can just buy the player?"

It's a gamble, that initially gets more worth taking if you lower packs and so more see opened.

Why are packs opened in general?
  • Dutchcaliber
    Ravz9 wrote: »
    If you lower the price of packs you do realise it means you allow more people to naturally have the chance to buy them? The reason fp are used are not only as you lose nothing but because they don't think it's worth the risk, If you lower prices theres less risk etc... And so more ate opened and more players flood the market, and you've got the same issue over again. It would have the same impact as lowering the enter price for a slot machine, people naturally like opening packs, and this allows them to open more, but mainly with coins.

Yes but you miss my point. The point is we dont know in what extent the market will be influenced and what not. The only thing we know is that packs are not worth a dime atm since to get a player worth above a 100k is such a slim chance.

You give an example of a slot machine wich is a strange comparission because a slot machine will always give the same amount of money. If the rewards from the slot machine get lower the entry fee naturally gets lower to so my point still stands.
  • RadioShaq
    15972 posts Moderator
    Its pretty obvious that making packs cheaper would only cause more packs to be opened causing players to be even cheaper. Its a great idea to ruin pack value and make players cheaper though.