How Are We Supposed to Judge..

Orikoru
10712 posts Has That Special Something
edited May 2016
How are we supposed to judge whether a team is good or not when matchmaking is so poor? I recently got relegated from division 1 to division 4 in four seasons, so I made a new team. Since then I've gone 16 matches unbeaten, just won division 3 last night. I was thinking 'this team is amazing!' as I've never had an unbeaten record like this with a team before, but then I went on My Activity and checked some of my opponents.

When I'd already gone 13 matches unbeaten, I got matched with a guy who has an awful record of 465-200-580 - I beat him 4-0. Why am I getting matched with a player like that still? In division 3 after 13 matches without defeat? The toughest opponent I had was 57-12-39, which isn't really that much better than my modest record of 118-62-102. But after that, my last game was against a 243-125-268, so another relatively poor player.

The biggest problem is now - I just know this is going to switch on its head overnight at some point. Suddenly I'll be getting opponents with 75% win ratios and getting my arse handed to me, and there will be no middle ground or gradual change at all. So I'll get battered a few times, and suddenly I'll hate my team that served me so well before. Matchmaking should adjust a little bit every season I think, but it doesn't feel like it does. It feels like you get about three seasons of the same level of opponents, and either smash them all or get smashed by them all, and then suddenly a drastic change to the opposite level of opponents.

(in case anyone was curious, the team I'm using is this http://www.futhead.com/16/squads/12172909/ )

CLICK HERE FOR 5th MAY UPDATE
Post edited by Orikoru on

Comments

• Yehudaargazi1
    669 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Nice view bro..but mybe its time for you to step up and win thos 75% players...mybe its not so bad matchmaking system...when you say you cant handle good players they give you avr players...when you beat them for while game try to upgrade your level...
  • Orikoru
    Nice view bro..but mybe its time for you to step up and win thos 75% players...mybe its not so bad matchmaking system...when you say you cant handle good players they give you avr players...when you beat them for while game try to upgrade your level...

I'm saying the change needs to be more gradual. One minute you'll be playing guys with 40% win rate and winning most of them. This might last three seasons, and then suddenly you'll be playing 70% win rate guys for three season. Why not 50% and 60% in between? This is what it feels like anyway. Explains how when I got to division 1, on a great run of form - I suddenly got three relegations in four seasons - and then after that I go unbeaten for 16 games. The fluctuation is too wild.
  • Dado BL
    1260 posts Professional
    UT is game mode full of glitches. Caters to the 12 to 18 year old crowds
  • Knienjo
    206 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    @Orikoru are you using any player instructions?
  • Orikoru
    Knienjo wrote: »
    @Orikoru are you using any player instructions?

Front three all get in behind, and press backline. Middle CM (Vidal) and full backs stay back when attacking.
  • stevvix
    8968 posts League Winner
    Although I've had my fair share of slumps this year I find matchmaking is terrible in general. Last night I played someone much better than me. He was 3-0 up after 15 mins and 5-0 up after 80 mins at which point I went for a wee. The next match I won easily 4-1 without really trying. This seems to happen to me all the time and I'd rather have opposition with less variation in skill.
  • Tekkerz
    3345 posts National Call-Up
    Have u tried Boateng Alaba gustavo.
  • Orikoru
    stevvix wrote: »
    Although I've had my fair share of slumps this year I find matchmaking is terrible in general. Last night I played someone much better than me. He was 3-0 up after 15 mins and 5-0 up after 80 mins at which point I went for a wee. The next match I won easily 4-1 without really trying. This seems to happen to me all the time and I'd rather have opposition with less variation in skill.

Yeah exactly. I consider myself average, and I seem to get matched with all rubbish opponents, or all really good opponents, with very few actually on my level.

Tekkerz wrote: »
    Eh?? What does that have to do with anything?
  • Waskuf09
    46 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Orikoru wrote: »

:D :D :D
  • nextqprmanager
    3322 posts National Call-Up
    Orikoru, just a thought - what times of day / day of week were you playing? or all the same time?
    yeh opponents vary - I spose EA dont want you to have to wait an hour, so it is closest match within a min or 2 !
  • Tekkerz

Yeah exactly. I consider myself average, and I seem to get matched with all rubbish opponents, or all really good opponents, with very few actually on my level.

It might give u s better chance to win against better opponents.
  • Orikoru
    Orikoru, just a thought - what times of day / day of week were you playing? or all the same time?
    yeh opponents vary - I spose EA dont want you to have to wait an hour, so it is closest match within a min or 2 !

Basically always between 8pm and midnight, UK time (week days).

• Orikoru

I think you've missed the point of the topic to be honest buddy.
  • stevvix
    8968 posts League Winner

Basically always between 8pm and midnight, UK time (week days).

Same here, weekends too. Matchmaking never took this long last season (posted about this before). EA have changed something and it isn't for the better.
  • Tekkerz

We can't control who we face but we can control what ammunition to use alaba boateng Gustavo in the middle will be a lot better than the 3 your using I agree matchmaking is not perfect just try to get better and learn from your losses.
  • Orikoru

We can't control who we face but we can control what ammunition to use alaba boateng Gustavo in the middle will be a lot better than the 3 your using I agree matchmaking is not perfect just try to get better and learn from your losses.

Yeah, no, I don't have coins for Alaba and Boateng. I'm saving to replace Costa with Robben at the moment. And I don't want to use Gustavo at CM. Matuidi has been excellent so far. And I have Koscielny as an untradeable. And I wouldn't be able to use Cech, and he's been great. Can't afford Neuer either obviously.
  • Tekkerz
    Oh I see I use Leno I like Vidal as lcm bacause he has such a great longshot. If u never used boateng trust me he is no1 nif cb just so hard to get past.
  • bucs0576
    2282 posts Fans' Favourite
    I think it depends on what the game affords you. Boateng is awesome until that stretch when every tackle goes straight back to an attacker. When it's like that it doesn't matter who you are using.
  • stevvix
    8968 posts League Winner
    bucs0576 wrote: »
    I think it depends on what the game affords you. Boateng is awesome until that stretch when every tackle goes straight back to an attacker. When it's like that it doesn't matter who you are using.

• Orikoru
    bucs0576 wrote: »

That is an excellent point. Sort of goes back to what I was saying - it's hard to judge the teams and players you're using when a lot of your form can be attributed to things like matchmaking, and lag, and 'those' games like you speak of there.
  • bucs0576
    2282 posts Fans' Favourite
    It could also be CT's. If you play like a crackhead (85-100 press) then players are always rushing forward for the rebounds.

I
  • Orikoru
    My unbeaten record with this team lasted 20 games before I eventually lost one. Some of last night's opponents had slightly better records than me, one guy I beat had a much better record too, so maybe matchmaking is improving? Either way, I won promotion back up to division 1, for only the second time. So my last eight seasons have gone like this, as far as I can recall:

D2 (promoted)
    D1 (relegated)
    D2 (hold)
    D2 (relegated)
    D3 (relegated)
    D4 (win title)
    D3 (win title)
    D2 (promoted)
    D1...

Seems mad that I wouldn't hold division more times than that.
  • Knienjo
    206 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    My last 8 seasons:

D2 hold
    D2 hold
    D2 hold
    Etc
    Etc

Can't get into D1. First half of the season I'm matched with relatively easier opponents than the second half of the season.
  • Orikoru
    Knienjo wrote: »
    My last 8 seasons:

D2 hold
    D2 hold
    D2 hold
    Etc
    Etc

Can't get into D1. First half of the season I'm matched with relatively easier opponents than the second half of the season.

Do you play a lot or infrequently? For example, is it likely that you'd complete a whole season in one sitting, or would it be like 3 games one day - 2 more games a few days later - etc.?
  • stevvix
    8968 posts League Winner
    I got relegated to Div 6. Last night I won the title and went straight back up to 5... seems kinda silly.
  • Orikoru
    I got relegated to Div 6. Last night I won the title and went straight back up to 5... seems kinda silly.

Yeah, surely the point of Elo matchmaking (if it is even that) is to find your level. You're not really finding a level if you're constantly getting promotions and relegations and yo-yoing around the divisions.
  • keilly
    423 posts Sunday League Hero
    Think your being a bit harsh on some of your opponents you said the following (my modest record of 118-62-102. But after that, my last game was against a 243-125-268, so another relatively poor player.) There is not a lot of difference between these your plus 16 and your opponent minus 23. You also have no idea how many of his losses where disconnects.So maybe the ELO takes all this into consideration.
  • Orikoru
    keilly wrote: »
    Think your being a bit harsh on some of your opponents you said the following (my modest record of 118-62-102. But after that, my last game was against a 243-125-268, so another relatively poor player.) There is not a lot of difference between these your plus 16 and your opponent minus 23. You also have no idea how many of his losses where disconnects.So maybe the ELO takes all this into consideration.

I didn't say there was loads of difference, just that mine was ordinary and his was relatively poor in that it was worse than mine. Having gone on an undefeated run, I was expecting to meet players with better records than mine. That's only beginning to happen now though after like three seasons of good performances. I doubt matchmaking considers disconnections either, I don't see how it would.
  • Jason1986
    6918 posts Big Money Move

Yeah, surely the point of Elo matchmaking (if it is even that) is to find your level. You're not really finding a level if you're constantly getting promotions and relegations and yo-yoing around the divisions.

Don't quite agree with that. The point of ELO is to match you against players of a similar ability, so everyone should be able to win Division 1, they'd just have to play better than their opponents. Or, more importantly for this game, be luckier than their opponent.