MLS 2017

DC_United123
773 posts Semi-Pro
edited March 2017
DC United fan here. Discuss MLS here. Still early but who's everybody's favorite to win the MLS Cup?
Post edited by stickey on

Comments

• CBrueggs15
    539 posts An Exciting Prospect
    This is great! Now we have an official lounger dedicated to MLS/USMNT discussion.
  • Ash
    21413 posts Club Captain
    CBrueggs15 wrote: »
    This is great! Now we have an official lounger dedicated to MLS/USMNT discussion.
    no
  • DC_United123
    773 posts Semi-Pro
    Ash wrote: »
    CBrueggs15 wrote: »
    no

oh but yes
  • Dan13
    4678 posts National Call-Up
    I'm a Whitecaps "fan." They're playing some pretty awful football right now from what I've seen
  • DC_United123
    773 posts Semi-Pro
    Dan13 wrote: »
    I'm a Whitecaps "fan." They're playing some pretty awful football right now from what I've seen

They were hot there for a while. Octavio Rivero was banging in goals for fun. I know we beat them a week or so ago. You guys got a good squad. Waston is establishing himself as one of the better CB's in the league. Ousted isn't a bad keeper. If Manneh and Rivero can click.
  • murphy
    945 posts An Exciting Prospect
    TFC >
    Oso >
  • Dan13 wrote: »
    Support Foothills!
  • stickey
    14698 posts Has That Special Something
    edited May 2015
    Big New York derby about to start. My songsheet is out, let's go.

Alan Kelly is the referee, he used to referee games here in Ireland. Nice to see him do well. Oh and the national anthem before the start of the game is quite awful, even if it happens across all of the big US sports.
  • stickey
    edited May 2015
    Franchise FC strikes first. Bradley Wright Phillips cleans up in the six yard box. 1-0 with four minutes gone.

Oh my, the pyro is out lads. This is magical.
  • stickey
    An equaliser for the Financial Group has been ruled out. Good call by the referee. Quite a good game this.
  • Sabo
    6818 posts Big Money Move
    edited May 2015
    I'm a big fan of what the Whitecaps have got going on bringing in so many South American talents. Good group of players there, Rivero has been a real force so far this season.
  • stickey
    Miazga with a second yellow card, Franchise FC down to ten. Under ten minutes left in the first half.
  • Mike
    10006 posts Has That Special Something
    NYC are just so, so bad. It's actually making me really annoyed watching them struggled to do 5 yard passes.
  • valdeOLENCOOL
    20013 posts Club Captain
    Waston is a really really good CB this year tbh, i would be dissapointed if he didnt get an MLS All Star
  • stickey
    Villa looks so annoyed to be playing with them. :D He tried to start a move in midfield but it broke down before he could ask for the ball back.

Mix is actually quite a tidy player, would do well in the Championship.
  • Mike
    stickey wrote: »
    Villa looks so annoyed to be playing with them. :D He tried to start a move in midfield but it broke down before he could ask for the ball back.

Mix is actually quite a tidy player, would do well in the Championship.
    He's alright, wouldn't say he would do well though, Grant Leadbitter would eat him for breakfast.

Villa just needs to retire, he doesn't deserve this.
  • Mike
    Awful, just awful.
  • stickey
    Disaster for the Financial Group as Bradley strikes again. Scenes.
  • stickey
    Comeback is on!
  • thedustman
    627 posts An Exciting Prospect
    For crew and country here. Columbus is playing great
  • Dan13
    stickey wrote: »
    Big New York derby about to start. My songsheet is out, let's go.

Alan Kelly is the referee, he used to referee games here in Ireland. Nice to see him do well. Oh and the national anthem before the start of the game is quite awful, even if it happens across all of the big US sports.

"New York derby"

The Red Bulls play in New Jersey
  • stickey
    ok, the New York Metropolitan Area derby then.
  • Wardhiigley
    1974 posts Play-Off Hero
    Mike wrote: »
    NYC are just so, so bad. It's actually making me really annoyed watching them struggled to do 5 yard passes.
    This is true for most MLS team. I'm genuinely curious what level the MLS would be here in the UK. I've watched League 2 games in the past and they weren't as bad.
  • murphy
    945 posts An Exciting Prospect
    It ranges from Championship to League 2 with the main problem in the MLS being depth. Once you start getting into squad players you are really lowering the level. Some players are easily Championship level though with some even lower PL level. Teams as a whole I'd say range from mid-Championship to mid-League One.
  • Dan13
    Mike wrote: »
    This is true for most MLS team. I'm genuinely curious what level the MLS would be here in the UK. I've watched League 2 games in the past and they weren't as bad.

Depends what teams you're looking at. I'd say the Sounders or Galaxy could be lower-mid table Championship teams. The Whitecaps and NYRB could mid table L1 teams while the now-dissolved Chivas USA would easily be L2 cannon fodder.

The major problem I have with the MLS (in terms of skill) is across the board, every team's defensive depth and quality is relatively similar. But there is such an emphasis put on attracting and developing forwards who are either famous names from overseas, Latin americans adept at dribbling, or one-dimensional donkeys who rely on their pace and coincedental "right-place, right-time" positioning. Everything else is an afterthought for many clubs which is why there is so much disparity in the league, even though the presence of a salary cap is meant to prevent this from happening.
  • stickey
    Cocis gives Chicago the lead. Good delivery by Wigan favourite Shaun Maloney. NYFC are awful.
  • Dan13
    edited May 2015
    Razvan Cocis? :lol:

I've completely forgot he existed. NYCFC should be so embarrassed
  • stickey
    edited May 2015
    NYFC have someone sent off as they give a penalty away. Wish City were as awful as this.

NYFC 0-2 Chicago after 26 minutes. NYFC down to ten. Shambles.
  • Sabo
    6818 posts Big Money Move
    edited May 2015
    Dan13 wrote: »
    Razvan Cocis? :lol:

I've completely forgot he existed. NYCFC should be so embarrassed
    Aye, I seem to remember he made a key contribution to FC Rostov's RPL survival in 2012. May well have been in their relegation playoff tie, can't remember for the life of me who it was against though.

My mistake, it was in the 2012/13 season and he scored 1 goal in Rostov's aggregate 3-0 win over SKA-Energiya, which saw them stay in the RPL. I'll endeavour not to make such daft mistakes again.
    Post edited by Sabo on
  • stickey
    NYFC get one back. Game on?