Fifa 16 OVR ratings by position. NOT THE SAME AS PREVIOUS YEARS.

bpb84
11 posts Ball Boy
edited November 2016
Below is a list of the attributes that formulate a player’s OVR on Fifa 16. Sorry it’s a bit late in the year but I only got the game a few weeks ago. I usually find out what they are because of simple curiosity regarding how it works – but despite this I don’t subscribe to the notion that the OVR is the be all and end all stat.
This is done on the PS4 but they should also be the same on other consoles, especially current gen (maybe all generations). I’ve noticed that there’s a couple of stats calculators online (which I think are fantastic), but the OVR by position segment can become obsolete each year (except for people still playing a previous year’s version where the formulas were correct at the time) because EA tweak their formula (almost) every year.
Not all attributes (always less than half, in fact) have an effect on the OVR rating, and some have a greater influence than others. I like to consider those attributes with no influence on the OVR as “backup” attributes and not “dead” attributes. They won’t increase your OVR but can significantly make your player better during gameplay. Some people have asked why some players with a lower OVR are a “beast” for them when compared with a higher OVR player, I think this may be due to them likely having better backup stats, so though their positional strengths are a little less impressive, they more than make up for it because they have far fewer overall weaknesses and/or they have additional strengths. When buying a player in Manager Mode you could consider looking for players with a lot of attributes that are green or high up in the yellow range, if he’s got this (but not necessarily the best OVR) he’ll most likely be a “beast” and may not be quite as expensive. You can always train him further if you choose. Also consider checking his Skill Moves, Weak Foot Accuracy, Height, Weight, Work Rates and positive Traits for any extra edge you can find. (Specialities will come when and if they reach certain thresholds).
The attributes for each position are sorted in order of influence, then order of appearance in edit mode (where I tested). Also, Tactical Awareness and Interceptions are the same attribute (it’s only called Interceptions in Be A Pro mode).
I’ll give an example during GK on how to work out their OVR, but only for the GK. Use the same method for the other positions.

GK

GK Diving (*0.21) per attribute in this category.
GK Handling (*0.21)
GK Positioning (*0.21)
GK Reflex (*0.21)
Reactions (*0.11)
GK Kicking (*0.05)

Example: Say your GK has 83 Diving, 78 Handling, 92 Positioning, 73 Reflex, 97 Reactions and 89 Kicking. What you do here is multiply the amount he has in (each of) the relevant attributes, by its influence;
Diving 83 * 0.21 = 17.43
Handling 78 * 0.21 = 16.38
Positioning 92 * 0.21 = 19.32
Reflex 73 * 0.21 = 15.33
Reactions 97 * 0.11 = 10.67
Kicking 89 * 0.05 = 4.45
Then you add up the totals; 17.43 + 16.38 + 19.32 + 15.33 + 10.67 + 4.45 = 83.58. Finally, you ROUND your total UP OR DOWN to the nearest whole number. This GK is an 84 as he falls within the 83.50 and 84.49 range - barely. In the case of this GK you’d need to increase a handful of stats to grow him to 85 but if he lost just 2 Kicking or 1 of any other of the above attributes, he’d have lost enough to drop into the 83 range.

LCB/CB/RCB

Standing Tackle (*0.17)
Marking (*0.14)
Tactical Awareness (*0.13)
Heading (*0.10)
Sliding Tackle (*0.10)
Strength (*0.10)
Aggression (*0.07)
Short Passing (*0.05)
Reactions (*0.05)
Ball Control (*0.04)
Jumping (*0.03)
Sprint Speed (*0.02)

LB/RB

Sliding Tackle (*0.14)
Tactical Awareness (*0.12)
Standing Tackle (*0.11)
Crossing (*0.09)
Marking (*0.08)
Stamina (*0.08)
Reactions (*0.08)
Short Passing (*0.07)
Ball Control (*0.07)
Sprint Speed (*0.07)
Acceleration (*0.05)
Heading (*0.04)

LWB/RWB

Crossing (*0.12)
Tactical Awareness (*0.12)
Sliding Tackle (*0.11)
Short Passing (*0.10)
Stamina (*0.10)
Standing Tackle (*0.08)
Ball Control (*0.08)
Reactions (*0.08)
Marking (*0.07)
Sprint Speed (*0.06)
Dribbling (*0.04)
Acceleration (*0.04)

LDM/CDM/RDM

Short Passing (*0.14)
Tactical Awareness (*0.14)
Standing Tackle (*0.12)
Ball Control (*0.10)
Long Passing (*0.10)
Marking (*0.09)
Reactions (*0.07)
Stamina (*0.06)
Sliding Tackle (*0.05)
Aggression (*0.05)
Strength (*0.04)
Vision (*0.04)

LCM/CM/RCM

Short Passing (*0.17)
Ball Control (*0.14)
Long Passing (*0.13)
Vision (*0.13)
Reactions (*0.08)
Dribbling (*0.07)
Stamina (*0.06)
Attack Positioning (*0.06)
Standing Tackle (*0.05)
Tactical Awareness (*0.05)
Long Shots (*0.04)
Finishing (*0.02)

LM/RM

Dribbling (*0.15)
Ball Control (*0.13)
Short Passing (*0.11)
Crossing (*0.10)
Attack Positioning (*0.08)
Acceleration (*0.07)
Reactions (*0.07)
Vision (*0.07)
Finishing (*0.06)
Sprint Speed (*0.06)
Long Passing (*0.05)
Stamina (*0.05)

LAM/CAM/RAM

Short Passing (*0.16)
Ball Control (*0.15)
Vision (*0.14)
Dribbling (*0.13)
Attack Positioning (*0.09)
Finishing (*0.07)
Reactions (*0.07)
Long Shots (*0.05)
Long Passing (*0.04)
Acceleration (*0.04)
Sprint Speed (*0.03)
Agility (*0.03)

LW/RW

Dribbling (*0.16)
Ball Control (*0.14)
Finishing (*0.10)
Crossing (*0.09)
Short Passing (*0.09)
Attack Positioning (*0.09)
Acceleration (*0.07)
Reactions (*0.07)
Sprint Speed (*0.06)
Vision (*0.06)
Long Shots (*0.04)
Agility (*0.03)

LF/CF/RF

Ball Control (*0.15)
Dribbling (*0.14)
Attack Positioning (*0.13)
Finishing (*0.11)
Short Passing (*0.09)
Reactions (*0.09)
Vision (*0.08)
Shot Power (*0.05)
Acceleration (*0.05)
Sprint Speed (*0.05)
Long Shots (*0.04)
Heading (*0.02)

LS/ST/RS

Finishing (*0.18)
Attack Positioning (*0.13)
Heading (*0.10)
Ball Control (*0.10)
Shot Power (*0.10)
Reactions (*0.08)
Dribbling (*0.07)
Short Passing (*0.05)
Strength (*0.05)
Sprint Speed (*0.05)
Acceleration (*0.04)
Long Shots (*0.03)
Volley (*0.02)

That’s it. Most players will conform to these formulas for their position. However, if you check some of the highest rated real life players, their rating will be 1, 2 or 3 higher than these calculations would suggest. This is due to something called:

INTERNATIONAL RECOGNITION

I discovered this a few Fifas ago (2012) when I tried to replicate Messi in Edit Mode. My created Messi was 91 while the game’s default one was 94. I played around with the game’s default Messi’s stats, did lots of testing, and discovered that if you decreased his OVR by lowering stats, some OVR ratings were, for want of a better word, skipped over. These were 25, 51 and 77. At the time I had no explanation, there was nothing in the game’s own edit mode to help me find the cause.
Then I started playing around in the Creation Centre. At the time it was compatible with the current Fifa games. I discovered the International Recognition rating slider in there and did some testing with it. When set to 1 or 2 IR, the player’s OVR conformed perfectly to the OVR formula, when set to 3 IR, it did the same up to OVR 49. Then went straight to 51 and continued on. There was no 50! Eventually it got to 99 one OVR early, but didn’t go beyond 99.
I tried on 4 IR. Normal until 33, then skipped 34, straight to 35. Stayed one higher than it should have been until it hit 67, then skipped 68, straight to 69. Stayed two higher thereafter and eventually, it got to 99 two OVR early, but went no higher.
So I tried on 5 IR. Normal until 24, skipped 25, straight to 26. Stayed one higher than it should have been until it hit 50 then skipped 51, straight to 52. Stayed two higher than it should have been until it hit 76, then skipped 77, straight to 78. Stayed three higher thereafter, hit 99 three OVR early and again stopped increasing.
I compared notes and realised that this was what was happening to Messi in the game. I had an answer. He had level 5 International Recognition!
I tested other players, and realised some were exhibiting the effects of 3, 4 and 5 IR too.

You can test the IR out yourself in the Creation Centre if you wish. Just make sure that in General Info (check under all 3 tabs) you give the player a name, click on the green plus symbol to give him a position (otherwise the OVR stat won’t change on the Attributes page when you play around with them) and change the IR to the level you want to test. Then go to the Attributes tab and play around. Note that the OVR won’t reflect the change of IR until you change your first attribute.

My conclusion is that; for practical reasons, just assume that IR gives a bonus of 1, 2 or 3 because you’ll only encounter it with certain superstar players. I am pretty certain EA is NOT going to give a low ranked player high IR - for players in the game it’s exclusively for an elite group. If you use the Creation Centre for Fifa 15 on the old gen consoles YOU could create a terrible player with high IR, though. That’s the main reason why I’ve gone as in depth as this.

I hope this guide has been of help. I haven’t bothered with the presentation much, I wanted to get the info down. You’re free to use it as you wish, though if you use any of it I’d appreciate it if you’d credit me as the source.

bpb84
Post edited by bpb84 on

Comments

• TuftyCandy
    18 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Would this apply to pro clubs ?
  • TuftyCandy
    18 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Beast of a thread btw
  • bpb84
    11 posts Ball Boy
    TuftyCandy wrote: »
    Would this apply to pro clubs ?

I don't play online but I'm certain that the OVR rating will be consistent with the calculations.

As for the International Recognition "bonuses", from what I can see, that mainly applies to real life players in the game e.g Messi, Ronaldo et al. I did Manager mode in past Fifas and I remember that VPs, players created in Edit mode, and actual players with 2 or less IR never got it, and those with 3-5 IR maintained only what they had at the start of my Manager career, even if I won absolutely everything (including the International tournaments (I tended to make my teams full of young English players, and also managed England) for several seasons, and also got my team rating really high, all my players' OVR remained whatever that Fifa's stats coefficient would suggest - you would expect that would make them 'well-known enough' for 5 IR throughout my squad! (but alas no). I would assume this is the case for Pro Clubs, unless EA have made it a special case? Either way, I made sure I had fun first, and didn't check my results until several seasons in.

Just make sure to have fun yourself. Even if you can feasibly get your VP to 90 with 'optimal' (for highest OVR purposes) Height/Weight stats, if you made him more consistent with e.g 88 OVR, plus being the right height/weight for your style of play, he'd probably be more of a 'beast' player for you. Examples: A Target Man will have great Heading stats, but what if you've made him too small to beat the defender in the air and so light he's easily bullied off the ball? It's a case of a massive weakness that also nullifies his greatest potential advantage. Or, a lumbering CB Stopper who is great at the physical side of things but if he makes a mistake and has to attempt to chase down a quick striker, he's toast.
  • bpb84
    11 posts Ball Boy
    edited November 2016
    Edited LS/ST/RS coefficients. I had posted in a rush and they were off by a little:

Changed Short Passing from 0.06 to 0.05 and added Long Shots at 0.03. How the hell I missed this.....
    Post edited by bpb84 on