How do I pressure my opponents?

gxcpl
140 posts Has Potential To Be Special
Hey, guys.

Lately, I've been struggling a lot to press my online opponents when they're winning and start to hold the ball and keep the game at a slow pace. It's really frustrating, 'cause sometimes they're clearly spending the clock's time and I can't stop it. I select "Team Pressing" and "All Out On Atack", but nothing happens. My players just stay there, clueless of what's happening, watching their players passing the ball. I can only control 1 player, so it's useless when I try to press manually.
Is there something I'm missing out??

Comments

• RadioShaq
    16182 posts Moderator
    You can also go 100 pressure and 100 aggression with 1 width. You also need to teammate contain while tracking the other side of the field so they have to go forward or you take the ball.
  • gxcpl
    I just tried your suggestion... Nothing happened!
    The lack of a "urgency feeling" in this game annoys me a LOT!
    The players are so unaware of what's happening in the game and seem to always be distracted...
  • roovzy
    802 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Unfortunately, it isn't solvable.

Best answer is to get better at not conceding first and being more clinical in front of goal so it doesn't matter when you come up against them because you're too good.
  • RadioShaq
    16182 posts Moderator
    Well they have nerfed high pressure and people over exaggerate how it works. You still have to pressure the opponent the cpu won't do everything.
  • gxcpl
    Yeah... It's really frustrating when you're 1 goal behind, there's still 10' on the clock, but you have to witness your opponent passing the ball on defense to spend it, while your team just watch them doing so...

But I agree some people over-exaggerate on high pressure. Actually, most people play this game with the sprint trigger full pressed during the 90'.
  • gxcpl
    The long cut-scenes annoys me a lot when I'm losing, too... Haha
    And that phuqin delayed offsides! Once or twice, ok. But that long delay to call EVERY offside?! Why??
  • SuPeRz
    885 posts Semi-Pro
    Try high pressure custom tactic and team pressing. Maybe throw in all out attack. Tell us if it works, never tried it but surely that should get some kinda movement.
  • gxcpl
    edited April 2016
    Just tried it... Didn't change so much... The marking line is a bit up. But still really easy to keep passing.
  • gxcpl
    Sometimes I play some opponents and they have a really aggressive pressure from the 1', my team can't control any single pass properly. I'd like to know how they do it...
  • roovzy
    gxcpl wrote: »
    Sometimes I play some opponents and they have a really aggressive pressure from the 1', my team can't control any single pass properly. I'd like to know how they do it...
    It is important to recognise that they play perfectly at their skill level. That is how they do it.

Don't question the lack of ability in controlling a pass. This has nothing to do with your opponent unless you think it, so don't think it. It's the game and you want to master the game even when there is a lack of control. Trying regardless of the outcome leads to winning whereas thinking the worst leads to losing.

Opponents who can pressure well understand the channels you and your AI players are autopilot attempting to exploit and are able to use the right stick to almost immediately switch to the correct player and sprint towards the ball carrier with that player and make almost perfect defending decisions every time like when to slide tackle, contain, barge into you, abort and U turn etc.

FIFA has an extremely complex skill ladder and each step is unknown until you are ready and willing to learn it otherwise it's impossible to know without someone who knows and understands it well enough to explain it to you.

If you want to make it difficult for them to defend against you, you must instinctively know the positioning of your players versus the positioning of their players, and you need to quickly assess the tendancies of your opponent so you can instinctively react, and you want to be able to comfortably pass or hold up/protect the ball at a skill level above the opponent's defending skill level.

If you want to be one of the best at this game you need to think how do I do x,y,z better and especially never stall your progress by questioning the opponent's seemingly super human abilities. Don't give a flying ❤️❤️❤️❤️ about your opponent besides how you can do better to exploit his weaknesses and minimize his strengths.

Also I've seen dpad cheat modes initiated before kick off, not sure if that is really a thing though. :)
  • SuPeRz
    885 posts Semi-Pro
    roovzy wrote: »

Opponents who can pressure well understand the channels you and your AI players are autopilot attempting to exploit and are able to use the right stick to almost immediately switch to the correct player and sprint towards the ball carrier with that player and make almost perfect defending decisions every time like when to slide tackle, contain, barge into you, abort and U turn etc.

Do you do this and if so, do you hold X (contain) to perform the sprint towards the player or do you use R2(sprint) and manually direct with the left stick?
    FIFA has an extremely complex skill ladder and each step is unknown until you are ready and willing to learn it otherwise it's impossible to know without someone who knows and understands it well enough to explain it to you.

I do a lot of experimenting trying to get better at the game but think I need someone to help explain as you said because there are nuances and secret button presses for defending/tackling that aren't documented. Care to help?
    Also I've seen dpad cheat modes initiated before kick off, not sure if that is really a thing though. :)

There are cheat codes in FIFA?
  • High pressure secrect, right analog switch....that's it. Just put one of your players near from the next pass of your opponent, all is about read the game plan fo your opponent.
  • roovzy
    SuPeRz wrote: »

Do you do this and if so, do you hold X (contain) to perform the sprint towards the player or do you use R2(sprint) and manually direct with the left stick?

I do a lot of experimenting trying to get better at the game but think I need someone to help explain as you said because there are nuances and secret button presses for defending/tackling that aren't documented. Care to help?

The cheat codes was a bad joke.

I mostly sprint, jockey or walk back/stand still. I use contain and teammate contain sparingly. It's better to maintain the teams shape and exploit opponents attacking mistakes using the right stick.

For example switch back to a CB and sprint forward with him while opponent is still high enough up the pitch.

I'm not much of a helper. I might write a book for FIFA 17 or 18 although I still have a lot to learn. :)
  • SuPeRz
    885 posts Semi-Pro
    SuPeRz wrote: »

The cheat codes was a bad joke.

I mostly sprint, jockey or walk back/stand still. I use contain and teammate contain sparingly. It's better to maintain the teams shape and exploit opponents attacking mistakes using the right stick.

For example switch back to a CB and sprint forward with him while opponent is still high enough up the pitch.

I'm not much of a helper. I might write a book for FIFA 17 or 18 although I still have a lot to learn. :)

I'll try your CB suggestion and see how it goes. Thanks.
  • gxcpl
    High pressure secrect, right analog switch....that's it. Just put one of your players near from the next pass of your opponent, all is about read the game plan fo your opponent.

I've been trying that, but my defender on the opponent player carrying the ball stay too loose, and they can easily dribble them... I can't make L1 work properly...
  • ZebidyAndIrony
    1391 posts Professional
    superz should be able to explain this.

isnt there a variable loss on packets via udp?

well i know there is...its thought its between 1-5%.
    so say someone is having 1% loss and the other is having 5% loss 4 % difefrence will add up over the course of the game.

from sprint instructions to turning.

also im pretty sure your team mates are related to this loss as their movement seems to be at the same level of slower sprinting turning passing etc.

doesnt help when the game is run on the console and not a dedicated server.

if its run ona proper server the speed of your players would be determined by them or could be if ea wanted it to be.cutting out their issues.

if yu had issues still with non p2p packets at least it would only be the player you controlled (may still have a problem with squick executed commands like offside or an instruction to make a player run.

most isps can prioritise normal gamign traffic.

not sure they can when a p2p connection runs to random ip addresses.

if they do it by packet type that adds an overhead because the packet would need to be inspected....and that usually means your packets going out...to dtermine what type they are.

either way i think this game needs to move to dedicated servers..and you lot need to help make it happen.
  • TopCat
    720 posts Semi-Pro
    Manual pressure And second man press, if that's not working manual pressure second man press AND rush keeper. It's amazing how excited people get when they see your keeper bearing down on their centre backs.

They either can't handle the extra pressure and misplace the pass or they desperately try to get to your half to score.
  • TopCat
    720 posts Semi-Pro
    Forgot to mention centre back join attack gets an extra body up there as well.
  • gxcpl
    I think it could be a good feature for Fifa 17... Something that allows you to properly press your opponent when you're losing and the game is almost over (maybe from 80', to avoid people using it all the time, like most would do...). I'd call it "All in". Or, maybe, "Run like helll, mudafuqaz!"
  • RadioShaq
    16182 posts Moderator
    The problem is people keep complaining and asking ea to nerf it. If they keep nerfing it next year people will just pass around the back all game.
  • ZebidyAndIrony
    1391 posts Professional
    cant press no matter what settings i change.

but one thing i dont get is why people constantly press all game v me knowing i will just pass it back top open up space and then pass around them.

they inevitably leave gaps in dangerous areas.

real pressing is time based.
    if you fail you back off.

pressing shouldnt be nerfed but if players use it all game their pressing players should be ^*^&^&* by half time.
  • gxcpl
    It would be a good thing to make more evident the tackling skill. It's easier to use fastest players to steal the ball back just because they're fast. Bale must be one of the better defenders cause he's really fast and his tackling attribute is around 66. It's quite easy to use him to mark even the most skilled dribblers.
    Attackers, usually, are bad at tackling and we can often see them commiting fouls, getting yellow cards when they attempt to tackle (especially at 1on1 situation).