A.S. Roma

Comments

• roma
    87 posts Park Captain
    11204971_903344863059662_7359290407677662219_n.jpg?oh=77a7162185517c4f3968900e09c198ea&oe=564F2894
    08/12/2015

AS Roma are delighted to confirm the signing of Bosnian international Edin Džeko from Manchester City. The 29-year-old striker put pen to paper on a contract with the Giallorossi today after successfully completing his medical in Italy.

Džeko has been one of the most sought after forwards in Europe this summer after he made it clear he was ready for a new challenge after a four-year stay in the English Premier League.

The Bosnian was Manchester City’s top scorer with 15 goals during the 2012-13 season and enjoyed an even better return the following year as his 26 goals in all competitions helped propel his side to a first league title in almost half a century.

In total, Džeko scored 50 Premier League goals in 130 league appearances for Manchester City and leaves England with two league titles, an FA Cup, a League Cup and a Community Shield.

The Sarajevo-born striker actually began his career as a midfielder at Bosnian side FK Zeljeznicar before moving to FK Teplice in the Czech Republic. It wasn’t long before his goals attracted the attention of Wolfsburg, where he proved an instant hit. His 26 goals in 32 league games during the 2008-09 campaign helped crown his club Bundesliga champions for the first time in their history.

After completing his move to Roma, Džeko told Roma TV: “I came here to win titles with Roma. Hopefully we will win many, many trophies but first we have to work hard on the pitch and at the end, hopefully we will get where we want to be. I can only promise one thing and that is that I will give my best for this club in every game.”

26a764d02ccaf0da931cf3a544830e9e.png

08/12/2015

Less than 24 hours after Edin Džeko arrived in Rome to find 5,000 fans waiting to greet him at the airport, the club’s new No.9 took time out to reflect on the reception he received and deliver a promise to supporters…

Can you describe how it feels to finally be a Roma player?
    “It took a little bit longer than expected but now I’m here and I’m very, very happy to be here.”

There were huge crowds waiting for you at the airport. How did that make you feel?
    “I expected some people but not so many. I have to say I was amazed by how many there were to greet me and I just want to say thank you to all the fans who came to the airport and also when I had my medical. Also, thank you to all the fans on Twitter and Instagram who welcomed me to Rome.”

Can you explain why Roma was the only club you wanted to join this summer?
    “I’ve been talking to Miralem Pjanic over the last few months and we always talked about Roma. He told me all the good things about Rome; first of all how big of a club it is with the amazing fans, which I saw when I arrived. It is one of the most beautiful cities in the world and it is a pleasure to be here. I am very happy and can’t wait to get started.”

Miralem Pjanic seems to have been a good influence!
    “I’ve been following Roma since Miralem joined the club obviously, because he is Bosnian and we are good friends. Last year we played against Roma as well so I know how big the club is. I did everything in my power to come here and I also have to say that Mr Walter Sabatini played a big part as well.”

When you played against Roma in the Champions League last season, did the team impress you?
    “I think especially in the first match – in Manchester – they played a very good game and then in the second game as well, I think they were the better team but we were luckier with City to go through.”

Francesco Totti scored against Manchester City at the Etihad Stadium. Are you excited to team up with him?
    “Of course I am! I think he is one of the biggest legends in football and I am honoured now to have the chance to play with such a player.”

The Roma fans are known for their incredible passion. Are you looking forward to playing for them?
    “I’m looking forward to it, yes. I can just promise that I will give my best in every game to try to have a lot of success with this team.”

Have you spoken with Rudi Garcia about what he expects from you this season?
    “I saw him just a few minutes after I arrived. We didn't talk too much but we will in the future definitely.”

What do you think you can add to the Giallorossi attack?
    “Goals. I think that's what every team needs and that's what I do the best. I will try to do my job in the future here and hopefully score a lot of goals for AS Roma.”

Have you set yourself any personal goal-scoring targets?
    “No, I never talk about that. I think the first thing and the most important thing is that AS Roma have a lot of success and win each game. If I score the goals it’s better for me but first of all, it's about the team.”

Mohamed Salah joined Roma on Thursday. Is he a player who excites you?
    “I know him, even from Basel, and I remember when he played against the English team and scored a few goals. I think his last year at Fiorentina was a great season for him and I think Roma can be happy to have a player like him here. Hopefully he can bring some more quality to this team.”

You won league titles with your last two clubs. Is the goal at Roma to lift the Scudetto?
    “Of course we want to win all titles; I came here to win titles with Roma. Hopefully we will win many, many trophies but first we have to work hard on the pitch and at the end, hopefully we will get where we want to be.”

At Manchester City you scored 5 goals against your rival Manchester United, can you do the same against Lazio?
    “I hope I can! I’ll do my best to do so.”

Do you have a message for Roma fans?
    “Like I said before, thank you again for the very warm welcome. I can only promise one thing and that is that I will give my best for this club in every game.”
  • Kyle1996
    2046 posts Fans' Favourite
    How will the team line up, I imagine Dzeko and Salah will be starters with Totti.
  • roma
    87 posts Park Captain
    Kyle1996 wrote: »
    How will the team line up, I imagine Dzeko and Salah will be starters with Totti.

It's hard to say. If Rudi sticks to the 433 as stubbornly as he always has then there's a chance it'll likely be Gervinho and Salah flanking the central forward and Totti will share that position with Dzeko the way he did with Destro & Doumbia in the past. Two season ago we had some of our best attacks under Rudi with both Totti & Destro playing but since then he's opted to have as much pace on the pitch as possible.
  • Welbeck
    5188 posts Big Money Move
    Is Szczesny likely to be the first choice?
  • roma
    87 posts Park Captain
    Welbeck wrote: »
    Is Szczesny likely to be the first choice?

Very likely. It's his job to lose. De Sanctis is being phased out.
  • Some of the questions in the Dzeko interview are so bland.

Mostly excited for Strootman's return, hope he is able to knock his way back into the starting line-up. Still back for October?
  • roma
    87 posts Park Captain
    Snake wrote: »
    Some of the questions in the Dzeko interview are so bland.

Mostly excited for Strootman's return, hope he is able to knock his way back into the starting line-up. Still back for October?
    Hopefully. I'm not sure on an exact timeline.
  • roma
    87 posts Park Captain
    2015 Open Day has concluded.

Friendly vs Sevilla about to start.
    Szczesny;
    Maicon, Castan, Manolas, Torosidis;
    Nainggolan, Keita, Pjanic;
    Salah, Dzeko, Falque.

A disp.: 26 De Sanctis, 1 Lobont, 59 Pop, 51 Anocic, 16 De Rossi, 32 Paredes, 48 Uçan, 57 Machin, 7 Iturbe, 9 Ibarbo, 10 Totti, 8 Ljajic, 24 Florenzi
  • roma
    87 posts Park Captain
    Great first goal for Dzeko :o
  • Elmaggico
    143 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Special first goal from Dzeko, toro with the second
  • Elmaggico
    Crazy game, Dzeko then Radja :p
  • roma
    87 posts Park Captain
    5-0 Salah.
  • Elmaggico
    Grande Totti :)
  • roma
    87 posts Park Captain
    6-0 to 6-4.
  • RazeReQ17
    58 posts Park Captain
    Sabatini please take notes and buy at least 2 new defenders
  • Elmaggico
    Definitely need two Cb's ASAP, Romagnoli and Yanga sold in a week.
  • Edoardo
    2014 posts Fans' Favourite
    Yes it's trash. I thought they were getting Rudiger ?
  • Elmaggico
    :p
    d8f931dc718a7d37623df426901db454.png
  • Elmaggico
    Snake wrote: »

not sure what to say anymore, all we can do is just pray for the guy.

• Elmaggico
    edited August 2015
  • roma
    87 posts Park Captain

Departures:
    • Adem Ljajic is gone. (Inter, 1.75m loan + 11m option) :|
    • Victor Ibarbo is gone. (Watford, 2m loan) :smiley:
    • Seydou Doumbia is gone. (CSKA Moskva, 1.5m loan + 14.4m option) :smiley:
    • Junior Tallo is gone. (Lille, 1m) :)
    • Mattia Destro is gone. (Bologna, 6.5m + 5m bonus) :/
    • Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa is gone. (Lyon, 8m + 2m bonus) :|
    • Jose Holebas is gone. (Watford, 2.5m + 0.5m bonus) :smiley:
    • Marquinho is gone. (Udinese, 0.5m) :smiley:
    • Federico Viviani is gone. (Verona, 4m) :neutral:
    • Lorenzo Pellegrini is gone. (Sassuolo, 1.5m) :neutral:
    • Andrea Bertolacci is gone. (Milan, 20m) :smile:
    • Alessio Romagnoli is gone. (Milan, 25m +5m bonus) :smile:

Arrivals:
    • Lucas Digne is here. (PSG, 2.5m loan + 15.5m option) :smiley:
    • Edin Džeko is here. (Manchester City, 4m loan + 11m option) :smiley:
    • Antonio Rüdiger is here. (Stuttgart, 4m + 9m option) :sweat_smile:
    • Mohamed Salah is here. (Chelsea, 5m loan +15m option) :sweat_smile:
    • Iago Falqué is here. (Genoa, 1m loan + 7m option [activated] +1m bonus) :smiley:
    • William Vainqueur is here. (Dinamo Moskva, 3m) :smile:
    • Emerson is here. (Santos, loan + 2m option) :smirk:
    • Wojciech Szczęsny is here. (Arsenal, loan) :)
  • roma
    87 posts Park Captain
    9dedf90533c97b544e80aee2dcbe8c37.png
    08/19/2015

Welcome to the club. How does it to feel to have joined Roma?
    "It's a great pleasure to be here and I'm delighted to wear the Roma colors."

There were a number of clubs interested in you. What made you choose Roma?
    "First of all, I have to say a big thank you to the coach and Mr Sabatini. They made this move a reality. I chose Rome because it's a great city with a lot of culture and I want to be a part of this great team."

You're a center-back but you've often played at right back. Can you tell us a little more about your playing style?
    "I play center-back and I can also play right-back but I prefer to operate in the middle. As for my style of play, I play hard, I love to tackle and I'm quick too but there's a lot of things I have to improve in my game."

Do you know much about your new team-mates, including your future center-back partners Manolas and Castan?
    "I know Manolas because I played against him during my time at Stuttgart. We played a friendly against Olympiakos. I don't know that much about Castan but there are a lot of great players here like Totti, Edin Dzeko, Pjanic, Maicon and Gervinho. I think we have a very good team."

What aspect of your game do you think you can still improve?
    "I can score more goals from corners. I think that's one of the things I have to work on. I still have to improve on every aspect of my game because I am a young player. I can learn a lot in football, particularly from great players like De Rossi and from my team-mates at the back, Manolas and Castan."

Germany head coach Joachim Low has compared you to Jerome Boateng. Is he a player you look up to?
    "Jerome Boateng is a player I look up to because we are the same height, have the same skin color and we are from the same city. And Jerome is one of the best center-backs in the world."

You've only played in the Bundesliga so far. What do you know about Serie A and Italian football?
    "I've heard a lot about Italian football because I played with guys like Kuzmanovic, Molinaro and Lukas Podolski. They told me Serie A would be a good move for me."

You could make your Champions League debut with Roma. Is it a competition that excites you?
    "The Champions League is one of the reasons why I came here and I'd love to make my debut in the competition."

What are your individual goals for this season?
    "I want to be 100% fit to help the team and I came here to win trophies, the Scudetto. And for me personally, I want to develop further as a player and human being."

Finally, do you have a message for the Roma fans?
    "'Grazie' to all the Roma fans and I will do my best whenever I wear the Roma jersey. Forza Roma!"

09/03/2015
    Antonio Rüdiger was unveiled to the media today and spoke of his delight at joining a big club in a tough league like Serie A. The German defender revealed he is ready to give his all to get into the side and also praised coach Rudi Garcia for his tactical approach and use of high pressing.

Why Antonio, what are you expectations for this season?
    "Hi everyone, I'm Antonio Rüdiger. My aim at Roma is to achieve success and perform as best I can."

Do you prefer to play as a left or right center back?
    "I'm a center back but I've also played right full-back. I'll play in defense for Roma. I like Garcia's tactical approach and use of high pressing. I really did my homework on Roma before coming here."

We've heard you're a very talented defender but you still have to improve technically. Would you agree with that assessment?
    "I'm 22 and you always need to keep working to improve, that's only natural."

How do you see your move here in terms of the upcoming European championships?
    "The transfer has been very positive from a personal perspective. I'm pleased to be at a big club."

Do you think you'll be fit to face Frosinone? Are you ready to be compared to Benatia, a defender who moved to the Bundesliga after an excellent season at Roma?
    "I started training yesterday. I don't feel any pain at the moment, it's all looking good. The coach will ultimately pick the team. I'll do everything I can to play but in the end it's down to the coach. Benatia definitely played very well for Roma but I'm Antonio Rüdiger, I'm my own man and I have my own strengths."

What sort of test will Bayer Leverkusen pose in the Champions League?
    "Leverkusen are a very good side. They play like we do, with a high press, but we're no worse than they are. We have ability and everything it takes to get a result."

What have you made of Roma's performances in their first two matches? What do you think you can bring to the backline based on how Garcia sets up?
    "I watched the last two games of course. The first few matches of the season are the hardest because you're still looking for full fitness. Juventus are a powerful side. I hope to play my part as soon as possible."

In your homeland you're known as a bit of a tough guy. Do you think you still need to work on the mental side?
    "I don't know what you've read or heard about me but I'm a relaxed guy. I was sent off a few times when I was 19, sure, but over time you grow up and improve."

What can Serie A offer you compared to the Bundesliga?
    "Italy is renowned for great defending, so I can learn even more in such a tough league. I'm happy to be here."

Are you ready to start for Roma?
    "I feel ready but ultimately the coach will pick the team."
  • Elmaggico
    edited September 2015
    Updated, Forza Roma :p
    2015-2016 Kits

389ec6d460f7a4aed54a2187c3bf83e6.pngf9a342e8807815ed207cec4269edd202.png

Players

f9360fd6d2fc38faf1d9aac8964a17aa.png
    08211f85a0334374db66273dd7ea2b2c.png
    932f77a8335274d6519e098a73688cd4.png
    2202d90e62bf3f7735fa9591fa508c43.png
  • roma
    87 posts Park Captain
    Away shirt is very nice. Home is blah.
  • Welbeck
    5188 posts Big Money Move
    how has Szczesny been? @roma
  • Elmaggico
    roma wrote: »
    Away shirt is very nice. Home is blah.

Yea, I like the print of the aerial view of Rome on the front of the jersey, will be buying it soon :) .