Here is a guide for the minimum requirements for specialities within Fifa 16. I first did a guide back in 2011. There were a couple of errors that the people on the Fifa forums were able to help me resolve (which showed me that elements other than attributes affected some Specialities). I originally did this for curiosity’s sake and my own personal use, but others were curious about Specialities so I decided to post it. I'm happy for everybody to use the information in this guide any way they see fit, a mention if you’ve used any of my work is enough for me. I may even modify it myself if it’s still not clear enough. I just want an accurate guide out on the web.
For this guide I am going to assume that you’re checking a player to see if he should have a Speciality or to see what he needs to improve in order to attain one, meaning;
Which attributes to assign to a player you have created or are editing in Create Player.
Which attributes to concentrate on for a player through gameplay and training in Career Mode.
Which attributes to gain by unlocking accomplishments for your Virtual Pro. (Also remember that depending on the Position, Role and Physical makeup of your VP, he may not be able to get certain Specialities even with all relevant Accomplishments unlocked).
I am not going to do a specific guide for VPs, however if I don’t mention the specific types of player (Real Life, Created or VP) assume that the criteria will work for all of them.
On we go.
SPECIALITIES OR TRAITS?
Specialities are not to be confused with Traits. They are separate and distinct from one another.
Traits have a noticeable effect on the player’s style of play, e.g Fancy Flicks, Power Header, etc… - some players in the game have them, and you can unlock them (only for your VP) through passing some of the available Accomplishments in Career Mode (or online). This is a Specialties guide, Traits are outside the scope of this guide.
Specialities are like “badges of honour” because you (mostly) meet the criteria through high attributes. Any type of player that meets the criteria will get them in their Player Bio. They don’t actually make your player better, or even different. If you attain one, it merely means that your player has high ratings in the attributes relevant for the Speciality by that point.
Neither Traits nor Specialities affect the player’s OVR ratings.
ABOUT THE MAIN GUIDE
This will be a reference list of Speciality Requirements criteria for each Speciality. The Specialities will be listed in the order they would appear in your player’s Bio if they have them. Just look at the numbered criteria if that’s all you need, they represent the ‘bare bones’ of the information necessary. They are numbered in order of things to check, some also are lettered as well if I’ve needed to split them up into types. The NOTE sections are only for additional detail, feel free to skip them if you don’t want/need to get bogged down in too much information. Also, when I state that the attributes should be (x) or higher, assume (x) meets the criteria and 'or higher' exceeds it.
1) A player’s Attacking Work Rate (IN THEIR BIO) MUST be either Low or Medium. (High makes them ineligible even if Finishing and Heading requirements are met. Defensive Work Rates have no effect.)
2) They also need their Finishing attribute to be 85 or higher.
3) They also need their Heading attribute to be 75 or higher.
Note: Poacher OR Clinical Finisher is required for Complete Forward. If the player has ONE of them they’ll need 2 other relevant Specialities, BOTH of them and they’ll need 1 other relevant Speciality, however, if they have NEITHER it makes the player ineligible for Complete Forward.
1) The player’s Acceleration + Speed attributes combined must come to 180 or higher.
a1) Players of 6'1 or lower require their Heading attribute to be 90 or higher.
a2) They also need EITHER their Jumping OR Strength attributes to reach at least 85 or higher. Both are not vital, just one of them will do.
b) Players in the range of 6'2, 6’3 and 6'4 require their Heading attribute to be 90 or higher.
c) Players of 6'5 and above require their Heading attribute to be 75 or higher.
Personal Note: This speciality caused me headaches when I was doing a guide on Fifas 11,12 and 13, as at that time some (but not all) 6’2 players would have the same requirements as the 6’1 and under players. Thankfully, this is not an issue for Fifa 16, they all check out on the above criteria. My best guess at the time was that it had to do with imperial/metric measurement issues. The speciality was easier to explain (without issues) by using cm. 187cm or less, 188-194 cm and 195cm or more seemed to be the relevant ranges. I found this out using the Creation Centre of the time. Maybe the Speciality was programmed in Metric? The games have usually displayed player heights in feet and inches though?
a) Players with 5* Skill Moves merely require their Dribbling attribute to be 86 or higher.
b1) Players with between 1* and 4* Skill Moves also require their Dribbling attribute to be 86 or higher, but they also need:
b2) Their Balance attribute to be 75 or higher.
Detailed Notes: For players created from scratch in Edit Mode there are 2 ways to get Dribbler. 86 Dribbling and 75 Balance will get your player 4* Skill Moves and the Dribbler Speciality, while 86 Dribbling and 76 Agility will get 5* Skill Moves and the Dribbler Speciality.
In relation to the DRIBBLER Speciality, the Agility stat is only necessary for Created Players. It’s just (along with the Dribbling attribute) a mechanism in Edit Mode to enable you to create a 5* player, SO REGARDING REAL LIFE PLAYERS AND VIRTUAL PROS IT HAS NO EFFECT ON THEM GETTING DRIBBLER OR NOT.
The mechanism for a created players’ Skill Moves works like this; 1-50 Dribbling gets 2* (no players get 1*), 51-70 Dribbling gets 3*, 71-80 Dribbling gets 4*. 81-99 Dribbling ON ITS OWN also gets 4*, 81+ Dribbling and 76+ Agility gets 5*.
You’d still need to advance Dribbling to 86 to get the Speciality this way, or if you didn’t utilise the Agility mechanism (they’d be 4*) you would need to get Dribbling to 86 and Balance to 75 to get the Dribbler Speciality the OTHER way. So you still effectively need to meet the same requirements as Real Life players or VPs, just in a much more convoluted manner.
1) If at least one out of the CDM, CM or CAM positions are listed as an available position IN THEIR BIO, the player is eligible. It doesn’t have to be their primary/regular position, just one of the positions listed. If none of these are in his bio, he is ineligible.
2) They also need their Short Passing attribute to be 86 or higher.
3) They also need their Vision attribute to be 86 or higher.
4) They also need their Long Passing attribute to be 73 or higher.
Note: Playmaker is a critical requirement for Complete Midfielder. Without it the player will be ineligible for Complete Midfielder.
1) The player needs to have BOTH High Attack and High Defence Work Rates IN THEIR BIO. They will be ineligible for Engine with any other Work Rates combination.
2) They also need their Stamina attribute to be 86 or higher.
1) The player’s Shot Power + Long Shots attributes combined must come to 174 or higher.
1) The player’s Crossing attribute needs to be 86 or higher.
2) They also need their Curve attribute to be 80 or higher.
FREE KICK SPECIALIST
1) The player needs their Free Kicks attribute to be 86 or higher.
2) They also need EITHER their Curve attribute to be 85 or higher OR for their Shot Power attribute to be 85 or higher. Both are not necessary, just one of them.
1) A player’s Standing Tackle attribute needs to be 86 or higher.
2) Their Sliding Tackle attribute also needs to be 85 or higher.
Note: Tackler is a critical component of Complete Defender, without it the player is ineligible for Complete Defender.
1) A player’s Tactical Awareness attribute needs to be 86 or higher.
2) They also need their Reactions to be 80 or higher.
Note: Tactician is a critical component of Complete Defender, without it the player is ineligible for Complete Defender.
Extra Note: Some VP Accomplishments state that - when passed - they will increase your Interception attribute. You’ll notice that there isn’t one. The increase is for your Tactical Awareness attribute. Previous Fifa games have called it one or the other in the past.
a) A player needs their Agility attribute to be 90 or more if their Reactions are 79 or less.
b) However, their Agility only needs to be 86 or more if their Reactions are 80 or above.
a) If a player weighs 181 lbs or less, their Strength attribute needs to be 90 or above.
b) However, if they weigh 183 lbs or more, they need their Strength attribute to be 86 or above.
1) A player needs their Finishing attribute to be 86 or more.
2) They also need their Long Shots attribute to be 80 or more.
Note: Clinical Finisher OR Poacher is required for Complete Forward. If the player has ONE of them they’ll need 2 other relevant Specialities, BOTH of them and they’ll need 1 other relevant Speciality, however, if they have NEITHER it makes the player ineligible for Complete Forward.
1) The player MUST have the TACKLER Speciality.
2) The player MUST have the TACTICIAN Speciality.
3) The player MUST have at least ONE of the following Specialities as well; Aerial Threat, Acrobat, Strength.
1) The player MUST have the PLAYMAKER Speciality.
2) The player must also have at least TWO of the following Specialities as well; Dribbler, Engine, Distance Shooter, Crossing, Free Kick Specialist, Tackler, Clinical Finisher.
COMPLETE FORWARD (Needs 3 Attacking Specialities)
1) The player MUST have at least ONE of these Specialities; Poacher, Clinical Finisher. If the player has NEITHER POACHER NOR CLINICAL FINISHER, they will be ineligible for Complete Forward.
2a) If the player has EITHER POACHER OR CLINICAL FINISHER, they will also need at least TWO of the following Specialities as well; Speedster, Aerial Threat, Dribbler, Strength.
2b) If the player has BOTH POACHER AND CLINICAL FINISHER, they will also need at least ONE of the following Specialities as well; Speedster, Aerial Threat, Dribbler, Strength.
WORK RATE POACHER/ENGINE ELIGIBILITY
You’ll notice that Work Rates affect the Poacher and Engine Specialities. Only 1 out of 9 combinations can get Engine only, but only 6 out of the remaining 8 can get Poacher only. That leaves 2. They, unfortunately, are ineligible for both. So, assuming Att/Def;
H/H can get Engine but not Poacher.
H/M or H/L can’t get either.
M/H, M/M, M/L, L/H, L/M and L/L can get Poacher but not Engine.
And it’s done! Apologies if the presentation isn’t great, it’s not my strongest suit. I may look to improve it in the future.
I am confident that these are accurate, but if you notice anything wrong – e.g a player has a Speciality earlier than this guide says they should, OR a player doesn’t have a Speciality the guide suggests they should have with their current attributes - feel free to let me know so I can do some testing on it. PM me, or better yet, just ask on the post. If anything is still hard to understand, I’ll try to help or the fellow forum users may even be able to clarify issues if I take too long to get back to this - bpb84.