Alastair wrote: »
    RK94 wrote: »
    RK94 wrote: »
    Karlos wrote: »
    Imagine caring about Eurovision.
    73d829df405dda8b7ffde083e76f0750.png

Sorry, I'm with @Karlos on this one pal.

x7ga094.png

If a mod can't even embed an image correctly then they should probably be demodded. I'll be raising this issue with Andy first thing on Monday morning. :)

You edited my post imo, looks fine to me :innocent:

The edit log suggests different. ;)

Looking at another users edit log is forbidden. Check rule #334.
  • Low Ki
    11024 posts Has That Special Something
    edited May 2018
    It wasn't about diversity, that could be argued about a lot of the contestants. Foureira is an ethnic Albanian who was raised in Greece, Cesar Sampson doesn't portray diversity?

I can keep going, but what carried her was piggybacking off #MeToo. Calling her win a win for diversity is a massive load and an insult to discrimination.
  • Alastair
    9297 posts Moderator
    @chokosc I'm going to bring politics into it briefly for one very quick moment. What is the situation with yourselves and Iran at the moment? I heard a brief news report yesterday but is this something of nothing or do you think it could escalate into something which could threaten Israel hosting it next year?

The other question is do you think it'll be Tel Aviv or Jerusalem?
  • Razer94
    1549 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited May 2018
    it's not political :joy:

Austria and Sweden top 2 in jury voting -- and bottom 10 in televoting :joy:
  • Handy Andy
    5532 posts Big Money Move
    if it was political it would have hurt Israel if anything.
  • chokosc
    2794 posts Fans' Favourite
    @chokosc I'm going to bring politics into it briefly for one very quick moment. What is the situation with yourselves and Iran at the moment? I heard a brief news report yesterday but is this something of nothing or do you think it could escalate into something which could threaten Israel hosting it next year?

It doesn't look like it will escalate to something that would prevent us from hosting. There has always been tension but it really is safe here.

I can't see it being in Tel Aviv really. That would be a shame. I don't know if you guys realised but we were the only country that wasn't greeted with "Good evening *insert capital*" because of political reasons.
  • chokosc
    Razer94 wrote: »
    it's not political :joy:

Austria and Sweden top 2 in jury voting -- and bottom 10 in televoting :joy:

I think most were surprised by the jury voting really
  • Santiago
    21486 posts Club Captain
    Low Ki wrote: »
    It wasn't about diversity, that could be argued about a lot of the contestants. Foureira is an ethnic Albanian who was raised in Greece, Cesar Sampson doesn't portray diversity?

I can keep going, but what carried her was piggybacking off #MeToo. Calling her win a win for diversity is a massive load and an insult to discrimination.

That is what I meant.
  • chokosc
    Handy Andy wrote: »

I'm saying some of the hate towards the song is. Voters obviously liked the song
  • Alastair
    9297 posts Moderator
    chokosc wrote: »

It doesn't look like it will escalate to something that would prevent us from hosting. There has always been tension but it really is safe here.

I can't see it being in Tel Aviv really. That would be a shame. I don't know if you guys realised but we were the only country that wasn't greeted with "Good evening *insert capital*" because of political reasons.

Ah that's good to hear. :)

I didn't spot that. I don't know too much about Israel, is the political debate over Jerusalem/Tel Aviv being the capital and one potentially being in Palestine not Israel?
  • Alastair
    9297 posts Moderator
    edited May 2018
    The semi-final results are out.
    First Semi-Final
    1. Israel (283 points)
    2. Cyprus (262 points)
    3. Czech Republic (232 points)
    4. Austria (231 points)
    5. Estonia (201 points)
    6. Ireland (179 points)
    7. Bulgaria (177 points)
    8. Albania (162 points)
    9. Lithuania (119 points)
    10. Finland (108 points)
    11. Azerbaijan (94 points)
    12. Belgium (91 points)
    13. Switzerland (86 points)
    14. Greece (81 points)
    15. Armenia (79 points)
    16. Belarus (65 points)
    17. Croatia (63 points)
    18. F.Y.R. Macedonia (24 points)
    19. Iceland (15 points)

Second Semi-Final
    1. Norway (266 points)
    2. Sweden (254 points)
    3. Moldova (235 points)
    4. Australia (212 points)
    5. Denmark (204 points)
    6. Ukraine (179 points)
    7. The Netherlands (174 points)
    8. Slovenia (132 points)
    9. Serbia (117 points)
    10. Hungary (111 points)
    11. Romania (107 points)
    12. Latvia (106 points)
    13. Malta (101 points)
    14. Poland (81 points)
    15. Russia (65 points)
    16. Montenegro (40 points)
    17. San Marino (28 points)
    18. Georgia (24 points)

Amazed to see Iceland came last in the whole contest.
  • Santiago
    21486 posts Club Captain

I'm saying some of the hate towards the song is. Voters obviously liked the song

That is because it is 2018 and people are following the #MeToo etc...

And that is what I (and a lot of other people) hate about this. I am sick of people playing the victims all the time.

'I am not your toy you stupid boy'. Like f right off with your feminist *.

Same with Conchita. Do you think he would have won if he was just dressed as a normal dude?

Exactly.

It's a song contest and not 'hey look at me and how special I am and if I win I feel accepted'

We all accept you. Stop forcing it.

/rant
  • chokosc

I didn't spot that. I don't know too much about Israel, is the political debate over Jerusalem/Tel Aviv being the capital and one potentially being in Palestine not Israel?

Our capital is Jerusalem. There should be no politcal debate about that since we should decide what our capital is
  • chokosc
    Santiago wrote: »

That is because it is 2018 and people are following the #MeToo etc...

And that is what I (and a lot of other people) hate about this. I am sick of people playing the victims all the time.

'I am not your toy you stupid boy'. Like f right off with your feminist *.

Same with Conchita. Do you think he would have won if he was just dressed as a normal dude?

Exactly.

It's a song contest and not 'hey look at me and how special I am and if I win I feel accepted'

We all accept you. Stop forcing it.

/rant

You don't see that I agree with tou though? I said her song wasn't my favourite, and I know that a good gimik will get you the win. It is a problem but it has been like that for years.

I do think that some of the metoo bs is the worst form of feminism.
  • Alastair
    9297 posts Moderator

Our capital is Jerusalem. There should be no politcal debate about that since we should decide what our capital is

Ah ok. That makes sense. I always thought it was Jerusalem but all the Israeli tourist adverts on TV mention Tel Aviv which confused me. Thanks for clearing that up. :)

Hopefully it is somewhere you can get to. :)
  • chokosc

Ah ok. That makes sense. I always thought it was Jerusalem but all the Israeli tourist adverts on TV mention Tel Aviv which confused me. Thanks for clearing that up. :)

Tel Aviv is just a big city with a beach and lots of night life so a lot of tourists love that place and that is one of the reasons it is put at the front a lot. Jerusalem is a beautiful place and everyone that will come to watch the Eurovision will enjoy 100% !

Hopefully I will manage to get tickets!
  • Santiago
    21486 posts Club Captain
    I am just salty rn
  • Low Ki
    11024 posts Has That Special Something
    Dude. Israel has been in Eurovision for ages, people accept your country there. And we understand why Israel is in UEFA and not a confederation of Arab countries. Nobody other than neo Nazi’s sees Israel in Eurovision as wrong or like another Australia.

It says a lot that all the praise for Toy talked about “female empowerment” and Mee Too rather than her talent.
  • Alastair
    9297 posts Moderator

Tel Aviv is just a big city with a beach and lots of night life so a lot of tourists love that place and that is one of the reasons it is put at the front a lot. Jerusalem is a beautiful place and everyone that will come to watch the Eurovision will enjoy 100% !

I suppose Jerusalem being Jerusalem means it doesn't really need advertising as well. :joy:

• chokosc
    Dude. Israel has been in Eurovision for ages, people accept your country there. And we understand why Israel is in UEFA and not a confederation of Arab countries. Nobody other than neo Nazi’s sees Israel in Eurovision as wrong or like another Australia.

It says a lot that all the praise for Toy talked about “female empowerment” and Mee Too rather than her talent.

Again, voting wise there is no doubt we won because of that. It was an alright song, probably not the best but pop music is all about popular trends and gimiks so this is no exception.
  • chokosc

I suppose Jerusalem being Jerusalem means it doesn't really need advertising as well. :joy:

Yup I guess yo are spot on with that one! :joy:
  • Mike
    9115 posts League Winner
    Rise Like a Phoenix was a fantasic song and deserved to win
  • Santiago
    21486 posts Club Captain

Again, voting wise there is no doubt we won because of that. It was an alright song, probably not the best but pop music is all about popular trends and gimiks so this is no exception.

That is not something we should be proud of or even accept though.
  • chokosc

That is not something we should be proud of or even accept though.

But there is nothing you can do about it. Would you be able to make the jury vote to the best song? Most people thought Cyprus were the best but the jury didn't rate them that high either.
  • Alastair
    9297 posts Moderator
    edited May 2018
    Just looked at the full results. Our televoting points came from Albania, Australia, Denmark, Germany, Ireland, Malta and San Marino.

The Irish televote had us 2nd.
  • Alastair
    9297 posts Moderator

It took me a little while to realise that wasn't Netta. :joy:
  • Ryan
    9473 posts League Winner
    Still absolutely furious that Lithuania did so poorly.
  • Alastair
    9297 posts Moderator
    Ryan wrote: »
    Still absolutely furious that Lithuania did so poorly.

It was number 1 in the UK televote. Shame all the other nations didn't agree. It was a great song.
  • Santiago
    21486 posts Club Captain
    Waylon doesn't mind going again. Hell yes
  • Alastair
    9297 posts Moderator
    Waylon doesn't mind going again. Hell yes

Send him with the other women from the Common Linnets again. Do a similar song and hopefully you'll win. :)