A Song of Ice and Fire

Stannis Baratheon
1417 posts Professional
ITT we discuss the series of fantasy novels by George Raymond Richard Martin as well as any other works of literature that are set within the same universe. Discussion of adaptations is not permitted, unless it is done for the sake of comparison or speculation regarding the books. Spoilers are permitted, if you have not read all five books then you are not advised to enter this thread. Spoilers regarding events that have taken place in the Home Box Office adaptation Game of Thrones but are as of yet unconfirmed in the series of novels are strictly forbidden and you will be reported if you discuss them within this thread.

A new chapter from The Winds of Winter was published today. The chapter is narrated from the point of view of Alayne Stone.
http://www.georgerrmartin.com/excerpt-from-the-winds-of-winter/

Comments

• dannyboy
    13020 posts Has That Special Something
    Do you like Alayne's arc? It might be my least favorite so far. That excerpt was decent, though.
  • Daniel
    1755 posts Play-Off Hero
    I'm really not sure whether or not to read the pre-released chapters. I want it all to be absolutely new when the book is finally released, but knowing new stuff is out there that I haven't read yet is really annoying.
  • Stannis Baratheon
    1417 posts Professional
    Daniel wrote: »
    I'm really not sure whether or not to read the pre-released chapters. I want it all to be absolutely new when the book is finally released, but knowing new stuff is out there that I haven't read yet is really annoying.

None of the chapters reveal anything substantial. They just give you a taste of what's to come. And considering they'll end up comprising 20 pages or so out of 1000, it doesn't really feel like I'm exhausting the content of the book. You should at least read the Theon chapter, it's brilliant.
    dannyboy wrote: »
    Do you like Alayne's arc? It might be my least favorite so far. That excerpt was decent, though.

I don't mind it, I've always been indifferent to Sansa. I'm glad the arc is gradual, though. That chapter shows her coming to terms with her sexuality, yet it's clear that she still has a degree of childlike innocence. It's kind of cool that she's finally becoming a player yet she's still relying on her feminine qualities.
  • shamheff1989
    2438 posts Fans' Favourite
    Daniel wrote: »

I'm like you - I've stayed away from preview chapters completely! Thinking about re-reading the whole thing again while waiting for The Winds of Winter. Would imagine I've plenty of time anyway, the way things are looking currently! :D
  • Floody
    458 posts Sunday League Hero
    I am not reading preview chapters either but am getting increasingly tempted to

Anyone have the 'World of Ice And Fire' book that came out before christmas? I am thinking about getting it and am unsure if its worth it
  • dannyboy
    I've only read Alayne's but I'm going to read Theon's now. I don't think the previews spoil anything important.

By the way, would you guys recommend reading the novellas?
  • Stannis Baratheon
    1417 posts Professional
    Floody wrote: »

Anyone have the 'World of Ice And Fire' book that came out before christmas? I am thinking about getting it and am unsure if its worth it

If you're interested in the universe then you'll enjoy it.
    I've only read Alayne's but I'm going to read Theon's now. I don't think the previews spoil anything important.

I've read The Hedge Knight and it was great. Much lighter tone than the main series but still very enjoyable. I plan to read the others in the near future.
  • Baelexis
    1765 posts Play-Off Hero
    Daenrys Taegarean, 'mother of dragons' 'breaker if chains'

All I have to say tbh ;)
  • Floody wrote: »

I got it for christmas, it's really good if you're interested in the back ground and other stuff. Glad I got it

• HolgerBadstuber
    5212 posts Big Money Move
    It's better than the Khaleesi's
  • HolgerBadstuber
    5212 posts Big Money Move
    Floody wrote: »

I have it, it's really interesting, especially all the detail about old Targaryen kings.
  • dannyboy
    I'll read The Hedge Knight then.
    It's better than the Khaleesi's

I wasn't a big fan of her chapters either, but her last chapter in A Dance with Dragons was pretty good.
  • Evra
    2236 posts Fans' Favourite
    Yes. They deal very much in the traditions and spirited aspects of Westeros. It obviously lacks the nuanced twists the novels provide but it compensates in some fantastic characters and character development. I much prefer the novellas to at least one of the novels.
  • Daniel
    1755 posts Play-Off Hero
    @Evra Did you read them online? I don't want to buy the graphic novels.
  • dannyboy
    Evra wrote: »
    Yes. They deal very much in the traditions and spirited aspects of Westeros. It obviously lacks the nuanced twists the novels provide but it compensates in some fantastic characters and character development. I much prefer the novellas to at least one of the novels.
    Nice. I'll probably start reading them soon.

I liked Theon's preview chapter, his arc is going to be good.
  • Daniel
    1755 posts Play-Off Hero

He's already sent me them, thanks though. Gonna start them after I finish To Kill A Mockingbird, which should coincide with the TV series.
  • Robert
    21723 posts Club Captain
    Jon is definitely Azor Ahai reborn.
  • Cleveland
    2641 posts Fans' Favourite
    Robert wrote: »
    Baenerys tbh

• Ash
    21413 posts Club Captain
    *Shudders*
  • Robert
    21723 posts Club Captain
    Cleveland wrote: »
    Baenerys tbh
    Nah, would be too obvious.
  • Cleveland
    Baenerys tbh

She's at least one of TPTWP/AA. The whole salt and smoke stuff is so obvious. The magic of the dragons etc. Bae is destined for greatness :)
  • Robert
    21723 posts Club Captain
    Baenerys tbh

She's at least one of TPTWP/AA. The whole salt and smoke stuff is so obvious. The magic of the dragons etc. Bae is destined for greatness :)
    Jon's gonna wake an ice dragon.
  • dannyboy
    I think it's going to be Aegon.

• Cleveland
    I think it's going to be Aegon.
    (f)aegon lol

GRRM had the ending of the series planned with the characters from the first book (I think I remember reading that somewhere lol) so Aegon can't be that big of a player in the end game.
  • Robert
    21723 posts Club Captain
    faegon is going to be BTFO'd when he starts a Blackfyre rebellion.
  • Stannis Baratheon
    1417 posts Professional
    It's Davos. Reborn in salt and smoke after the Battle of the Blackwater (salt of the sea, smoke of the wildfire). Melisandre's not wrong in thinking that AA reborn is on Dragonstone, she just doesn't realize that it's Davos and not Stannis.
  • Baelexis
    1765 posts Play-Off Hero
    can't wait till #GOT starts <3
  • dannyboy
    That's the first time I've heard of the Davos theory, pretty interesting.

Still think Aegon is the prince that was promised. Doubt GRRM would've added him and Jon Connington to the story if they weren't going to be important.
  • Daniel
    1755 posts Play-Off Hero
    If I go a month without reading up on all the different theories I completely forget what all of this stuff even means.