Tottenham Hotspur Football Club

Comments

• Pietu
    6573 posts Big Money Move
    edited June 24
    Pietu wrote: »
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    Stlducks wrote: »
    I know it is seen as "boring tactics" but I am actually pretty happy with the style Tottenham has been playing. I do not see it as a negative to play on the counter like others have been making it. The counter-attack looked pretty good against United and looked really good against West Ham with Lo Celso in the middle instead of Lamela.

Spurs defense has been awful this year so leaving more players back to defend makes sense. With Lucas, Bergwjin, Dele, Lo Celso, Son, and Kane the counter-attack talent is there.

No idea why the media and other fans are making it out like Jose is scared of playing attacking football when the point of the game is to win. It doesn't matter how pretty it is.

It's been a few months. Wait till you've been bored to tears for years. It gets annoying;

Exactly. Winning isn't the most important thing, I would rather watch a quality attacking team that doesn't win every week than a boring, park the bus team that dominates. I'm a football fan first and foremost, I watch football because I like it and I would rather my team play entertaining attacking football than defensive football, it's boring.

It's your opinion, but I can't agree with it. What's the point in playing great football if you have nothing to show for it?

Say what you want about Jose, but he's achieved far more than Poch.

Because football is so much more than winning, there's a reason it's called the beautiful game and playing boring, defensive football isn't beautiful. I personally enjoy much more watching beautiful football and not winning than wanting to crawl my eyes out but winning. I'm a fan of the game first and foremost and that's why I can appreciate even United if they play beautiful football, I'm not big on the toxicity and pure hate towards opponents.
  • Stlducks
    1955 posts Play-Off Hero
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    I know it is seen as "boring tactics" but I am actually pretty happy with the style Tottenham has been playing. I do not see it as a negative to play on the counter like others have been making it. The counter-attack looked pretty good against United and looked really good against West Ham with Lo Celso in the middle instead of Lamela.

Spurs defense has been awful this year so leaving more players back to defend makes sense. With Lucas, Bergwjin, Dele, Lo Celso, Son, and Kane the counter-attack talent is there.

No idea why the media and other fans are making it out like Jose is scared of playing attacking football when the point of the game is to win. It doesn't matter how pretty it is.

It's been a few months. Wait till you've been bored to tears for years. It gets annoying;

I actually really enjoy counter attacking football. As long as Spurs keep creating chances, I can't see this style getting boring to me. Obviously, if results are bad then I will want a change but I grew tired of Poch's high pressure style because half the league sat back and Tottenham couldn't break them down.

I enjoy watching teams go on a fast break with long passes and one on one chances. One of the most exciting parts of the game to me.
  • El_Nino
    5342 posts Big Money Move
    The thing with Jose is when he gets his teams set up right there fantastic to watch. Chelsea/Madrid/Inter were all amazing teams to watch, and far more entertaining to me than any Pep side for example.
  • Stlducks
    1955 posts Play-Off Hero
    If Son approves, I approve. Sounds like a Spurs move, unknown and most likely cheap because of off the field issues.
  • Stlducks
    1955 posts Play-Off Hero
    Tottenham have already made an offer for Southampton midfielder Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg. According to journalist Duncan Castles, Spurs have already lodged a bid for the midfielder.

"They [Southampton], I'm told, have three offers so far for the player, none of them are satisfactory, one extremely low at a financial level, and they have an offer of cash plus players in exchange, which I understand has come from Tottenham Hotspur," he told The Transfer Window Podcast.

Not sure who Tottenham would offer in return? Maybe Kyle Walker-Peters who is currently on loan at Southampton plus cash?

• Stlducks
    1955 posts Play-Off Hero
    Really need to start making better passes around the box. Midfield passing has been great on the break but then we give it away near the box when we have numbers.
  • Stlducks
    1955 posts Play-Off Hero
    Snarky Jose has appeared at Tottenham, the "nice guy Jose" act seems to have stopped finally. Hopefully, he can now start coaching as he used to when being a winner manager.

https://www.fotmob.com/embed/news/6636091-jose-mourinho-bites-back-at-arsenal-over-sheffield-united-jibe-01echbtv24hr

"If they were top of the league or fighting for top four and in a really good moment, they wouldn’t enjoy the problems of others," Mourinho said (via the Daily Mail).

"You only enjoy the problems of others when you are also in trouble. So I think in the end it’s a little more about that. They don’t have much to celebrate, so they have to take any opportunity to do it. They are in a very similar situation to us in the table.

"I don’t like to connect the club with such posts or tweets because probably the person who did it did it by himself. I don’t believe it was (Mikel) Arteta who posted it — probably it was some guy who has been working from home for three months. No problem, at home we will be waiting for them!"

Mourinho was then asked whether finishing below Arsenal in the table would bother him, but the boss insisted that while Arsenal dream of dominating north London, he dreams of dominating England.

"To be honest, to be the champions of north London means nothing to me," said Mourinho. "You must be bigger than that and have more ambition than that."

• Ashy
    10789 posts Has That Special Something
    I do agree with him tbf

I think you will win today and not lose the NLD
  • El_Nino
    It is a weird jab from the Arsenal social media guy/team, I get its ‘banter’ and part of the times we live in, but it’s just seems so stupid when Arsenal are no better off than spurs in the big picture, debatably worse.
  • TakeItSlow
    9059 posts League Winner
    El_Nino wrote: »
    It is a weird jab from the Arsenal social media guy/team, I get its ‘banter’ and part of the times we live in, but it’s just seems so stupid when Arsenal are no better off than spurs in the big picture, debatably worse.

I mean Spurs are in a hell of a worse situation than us. Hardly and decent youngsters coming through, absolutely no money, a poor manager to take a team forward on huge money.

The list goes on.
  • Stlducks
    1955 posts Play-Off Hero
    Ashy wrote: »
    I do agree with him tbf

I do not see us winning today with how Everton have been playing. The NLD is always unpredictable but I am guessing a draw. I can see Arsenal finishing above Spurs in the table but neither side have anything to brag about this season.
    TakeItSlow wrote: »

I mean Spurs are in a hell of a worse situation than us. Hardly and decent youngsters coming through, absolutely no money, a poor manager to take a team forward on huge money.

The list goes on.

Arsenal are in good form right now so fans have high spirits. But just a few weeks ago Arsenal fans were moaning about being a mid-table team for the next few years. Anything can change in this league within a month. I can easily see Spurs turning things around just as easily as I can see them continuing to struggle.

No money? This is Tottenham. When have we ever had money? I agree about Jose not being the guy but he's not a poor manager by any means.

I have always felt that Arsenal fans care way more about finishing about Tottenham than Tottenham fans do.
  • TakeItSlow
    9059 posts League Winner
    I do agree with him tbf

I do not see us winning today with how Everton have been playing. The NLD is always unpredictable but I am guessing a draw. I can see Arsenal finishing above Spurs in the table but neither side have anything to brag about this season.

The list goes on.

Arsenal are in good form right now so fans have high spirits. But just a few weeks ago Arsenal fans were moaning about being a mid-table team for the next few years. Anything can change in this league within a month. I can easily see Spurs turning things around just as easily as I can see them continuing to struggle.

No money? This is Tottenham. When have we ever had money? I agree about Jose not being the guy but he's not a poor manager by any means.

I have always felt that Arsenal fans care way more about finishing about Tottenham than Tottenham fans do.

Couldn't care less about where Spurs are atm I'm focussing on trying to slide into 5th.

No sane Arsenal fans are moaning about that btw. We are 3rd in the league from when Arteta came in, things are on the up. Not having anyone compare Arsenal's current situation to Spurs.
  • El_Nino

The list goes on.

The poor manager comment is laughable no matter how far you think Mourinho has fallen, I’d take him over Arteta ever day of the week.

No they don’t have as much potential in youth, but there starting XI still looks stronger than Arsenals imo. And you say they have no money, but I’ve seen zero evidence of you being any better off in that regard.

I’d preference Spurs situation to yours if I’m honest.
  • TakeItSlow
    9059 posts League Winner

The list goes on.

The poor manager comment is laughable no matter how far you think Mourinho has fallen, I’d take him over Arteta ever day of the week.

No they don’t have as much potential in youth, but there starting XI still looks stronger than Arsenals imo. And you say they have no money, but I’ve seen zero evidence of you being any better off in that regard.

@El_Nino you would prefer Mourinho over Arteta to take a team forward. I mean even now Arteta is ahead of Mourinho in the league.

All Mourinho has is a legacy, he isn't a good manager for the modern era. It would be like me saying I'd rather Wenger over Arteta. If you gave nearly every Arsenal fan on the planet the choice they'd have Arteta over Mourinho and rightly so. Mourinho needs like 200m to do anything at all these days. He isn't a great manager mate.

Why would you prefer Spurs situation over ours? The lack of money? Or the manager who can't deal with having a lack of money and usually ruins a squad with his attitude...
  • Stlducks
    1955 posts Play-Off Hero

The list goes on.

@El_Nino you would prefer Mourinho over Arteta to take a team forward. I mean even now Arteta is ahead of Mourinho in the league.

All Mourinho has is a legacy, he isn't a good manager for the modern era. It would be like me saying I'd rather Wenger over Arteta. If you gave nearly every Arsenal fan on the planet the choice they'd have Arteta over Mourinho and rightly so. Mourinho needs like 200m to do anything at all these days. He isn't a great manager mate.

Why would you prefer Spurs situation over ours? The lack of money? Or the manager who can't deal with having a lack of money and usually ruins a squad with his attitude...

lol come on, seriously? Arsenal literally just went past Spurs this week and you're saying that makes Arteta a better manager? Give it time to see how things plan out. I remember how well Arsenal was under Emery at first going 13 unbeaten or something like that and Arsenal fans were saying he is better than Poch already.

Give each manager time to settle their team and then we can see how good Arteta is.
  • TakeItSlow
    9059 posts League Winner

The list goes on.

lol come on, seriously? Arsenal literally just went past Spurs this week and you're saying that makes Arteta a better manager? Give it time to see how things plan out. I remember how well Arsenal was under Emery at first going 13 unbeaten or something like that and Arsenal fans were saying he is better than Poch already.

Give each manager time to settle their team and then we can see how good Arteta is.

Nope, Mourinho is absolutely done out here.
  • Ashy
    Mourinho has lost it just like Wenger did unfortunately. Mourinho 3 year cycle is instant impact upon arrival, 2nd season challenge for title or be there abouts, 3rd season crumble and get sacked. I don't really see an instant impact from Mou. He won't get the backing to buy the players he wants and will end up falling out with Levy just like at United.

Ole with hardly any experience has built something decent at United were Mourinho couldn't push on from that 2nd place finish. Mourinho is a disaster waiting to happen and he's losing his intergroty as each season passes. For me he's not been good since his second season at Chelsea which was like 2015
  • El_Nino
    edited July 6
    Mourinho needing Money is a myth, he’s done it all without money.
    Is he past his best? Most likely, although he hasn’t done anything wrong at Spurs, he’s improved them since taking over from Poch, and spurs good form was stopped by a few bad injuries.

Without a doubt Mourinho is still a better manager than Ole, Arteta, and to show no bias; Lampard too.

All are far too new to be compared to Mourinho, who may well prove to be past it and unable to adapt, but that remains to be seen, he wasn’t backed properly at United, it’s well documented he wasn’t given the signings he wanted, and still gave them there best post Fergie season.

He wouldn’t go to spurs expecting money, he’d be well aware it’ll be a shoe string budget, Spurs wasn’t an easy job to take, he’s taken it to prove he can still do it, and I think he will.

And @TakeItSlow id prefer spurs because they have a better manager and a better squad, no they don’t have a lot of money, but again, there’s no evidence that your any better off in that regard. I’d also say Spurs have more in player value than Arsenal, when it comes to selling, to be able to re-invest.
  • Kellnerr
    3548 posts National Call-Up
    I feel like Spurs have become completely underrated just because they are having a bad season. They arguably had the 3rd best squad at the start of the season.
    And to say Mourinho is finished is absolutely not fair. I hate the guy but he came in mid-season, it's just too difficult to implement your tactics mid-season. He'll have plenty of time this summer considering they are out of the UCL - a problem that other top6 teams will have to cope with and I really think this should not be neglected.
  • arsenalap
    8075 posts League Winner
    Spurs have a stadium to pay off. They'll be in the same spending position we were 10 years ago, but in a worse economy now.

They have an aging defence who all need replacing completely.

Kane is getting more injury prone. They have average midfielders bar Lo Celso. Ndombele looks like he is gone.

I really don't know how you can say youd rather be in Spurs position than ours. They have a good attack, but that is literally it. The rest need a complete rebuild, and it sounds like they'll struggle financially with no NFL income or fan income also.

I would much rather Arteta over Mourinho for a rebuild job like Arsenal or Spurs. I hated being linked to Mourinho. But I understand Mourinho is a better current managed than Arteta. Doesnt mean he is the best fit for a club though.
  • Ahmer50x
    22911 posts Club Captain
    I'd rather be Arsenal than Spurs.

Similar finances but better youth coming through and more promise in the manager for the future IMO
  • Stlducks
    1955 posts Play-Off Hero
    Kellnerr wrote: »
    I feel like Spurs have become completely underrated just because they are having a bad season. They arguably had the 3rd best squad at the start of the season.
    And to say Mourinho is finished is absolutely not fair. I hate the guy but he came in mid-season, it's just too difficult to implement your tactics mid-season. He'll have plenty of time this summer considering they are out of the UCL - a problem that other top6 teams will have to cope with and I really think this should not be neglected.

On top of only being here 6 months, there is the pandemic and all of the injuries to top players Jose walked into. That is why I am saying wait until he has some time to settle with the squad. Right now he is focusing on removing players with bad attitudes or lack of desire (Ndombele).
    arsenalap wrote: »
    Spurs have a stadium to pay off. They'll be in the same spending position we were 10 years ago, but in a worse economy now.

Kane is getting more injury prone. They have average midfielders bar Lo Celso. Ndombele looks like he is gone.

I really don't know how you can say youd rather be in Spurs position than ours. They have a good attack, but that is literally it. The rest need a complete rebuild, and it sounds like they'll struggle financially with no NFL income or fan income also.

I would much rather Arteta over Mourinho for a rebuild job like Arsenal or Spurs. I hated being linked to Mourinho. But I understand Mourinho is a better current managed than Arteta. Doesnt mean he is the best fit for a club though.

Can't the exact same be said about Arsenal? The defense is not great for Arsenal, the midfielders are average and the strikers are by far the best parts of the team. Either way, you look at it, Arsenal and Spurs are pretty much in the same boat. Neither one is competing for trophies in the next few years. Both clubs will be in the third group of the league IMO for at least the next 2 years.

Group 1 - City/Liverpool
    Group 2 - United, Chelsea,
    Group 3 - Arsenal, Spurs, Everton, Wolves, Leicester
  • G000ner
    4787 posts National Call-Up
    Jose Mourinho is literally rattled by a post on twitter though. If that doesn't prove he's finished, I don't know what does. I'd happily take the ❤️❤️❤️❤️ out of Spurs regardless of our league position, just as I'm happy to take the ❤️❤️❤️❤️ out of us. It's not like any Arsenal fan are saying we're great is it.

Saying that, I think we're in a better position than Spurs, mostly because I have much more faith in Arteta to take us forward than I would Mourinho. I can't see Spurs ever competing with the top teams under Mourinho.
  • arsenalap
    8075 posts League Winner
    Kellnerr wrote: »

On top of only being here 6 months, there is the pandemic and all of the injuries to top players Jose walked into. That is why I am saying wait until he has some time to settle with the squad. Right now he is focusing on removing players with bad attitudes or lack of desire (Ndombele).
    arsenalap wrote: »

Can't the exact same be said about Arsenal? The defense is not great for Arsenal, the midfielders are average and the strikers are by far the best parts of the team. Either way, you look at it, Arsenal and Spurs are pretty much in the same boat. Neither one is competing for trophies in the next few years. Both clubs will be in the third group of the league IMO for at least the next 2 years.

Group 1 - City/Liverpool
    Group 2 - United, Chelsea,
    Group 3 - Arsenal, Spurs, Everton, Wolves, Leicester

I think the difference is our youth coming through is better. And, we have a much better set of full back and GK options than you imo.
  • TakeItSlow
    9059 posts League Winner
    If we are looking at the facts as to who's in the best position now and for the future...

Best youth - Arsenal, by a country mile.

Manager with the best future and longevity - Arteta

Best Sellable assets - Arsenal. We can sell players like Guendouzi and laca and not be left short. Spurs can't sell Son in fact they can't sell any of their attackers for a good fee without leaving a gaping hole.

Best goalkeepers - Arsenal
    Best full backs - Arsenal
    Best centre backs - currently spurs but they're in a hideous situation with their CB's. We of course won the race for saliba as well.
    Best midfielders - overall Arsenal.
    Best attackers - Arsenal.

Money in the bank and financial firepower - Arsenal. Spurs have just built a enormous new stadium. Its silly to think they have anything to spend. Arsenal can spend as we have very good cash reserves. We already have a deal in place for Partey which will be upwards of £45M.

Even wages Arsenal can offer more, any player who has to decide between the two clubs, like saliba, chooses Arsenal.

Think that's fairly comprehensive.
  • Ashy
    I agree with those 3 groups this season and there is potential Arsenal could join group 2 at the end of next season, maybe even Spurs if Mourinho does his usual 2nd season wonder but I've seen no signs of that being a possibility, (current play, potential investment/player growth).

Season after next I can see United and Chelsea challenging if the recruitment is right and the managers are more established or replaced with better managers. Arsenal look to be 1 or 2 years behind this path and Mourinho's 3rd season well you know what happens there. Its all opinion and predictions though we will see.
  • Stlducks
    1955 posts Play-Off Hero
    G000ner wrote: »
    Jose Mourinho is literally rattled by a post on twitter though. If that doesn't prove he's finished, I don't know what does. I'd happily take the ❤️❤️❤️❤️ out of Spurs regardless of our league position, just as I'm happy to take the ❤️❤️❤️❤️ out of us. It's not like any Arsenal fan are saying we're great is it.

Saying that, I think we're in a better position than Spurs, mostly because I have much more faith in Arteta to take us forward than I would Mourinho. I can't see Spurs ever competing with the top teams under Mourinho.

He answered a question from a reporter about it. I highly doubt he was "rattled"
  • Stlducks
    1955 posts Play-Off Hero
    If we are looking at the facts as to who's in the best position now and for the future...

Best youth - Arsenal, by a country mile.

Manager with the best future and longevity - Arteta

Best Sellable assets - Arsenal. We can sell players like Guendouzi and laca and not be left short. Spurs can't sell Son in fact they can't sell any of their attackers for a good fee without leaving a gaping hole.

Best goalkeepers - Arsenal
    Best full backs - Arsenal
    Best centre backs - currently spurs but they're in a hideous situation with their CB's. We of course won the race for saliba as well.
    Best midfielders - overall Arsenal.
    Best attackers - Arsenal.

Money in the bank and financial firepower - Arsenal. Spurs have just built a enormous new stadium. Its silly to think they have anything to spend. Arsenal can spend as we have very good cash reserves. We already have a deal in place for Partey which will be upwards of £45M.

Even wages Arsenal can offer more, any player who has to decide between the two clubs, like saliba, chooses Arsenal.

Think that's fairly comprehensive.

Think that's fairly bias you mean. The only non-debatable positions would be a fullback and even there, Arsenal is not great. Better than Spurs but nowhere near great. Every other category is a toss up depending on which teams show up since both clubs are very inconsistent.

The rest of your comment is all opinion. You have no idea how Arteta will turn out so you don't know if he is better long-term. You also have no clue about the finances for either club. If Spurs were to sell players, they would make more than if Arsenal were to sell if either club wanted to go that route to invest in new players.

You are also putting way too much stock in money. I mentioned it to you multiple times, Spurs never spend money. Not spending as much as Arsenal is nothing new and in my mind, doesn't matter one bit. Spurs have some very talented youth players but they have not been playing as much as Arsenal youth because Spurs have had a very solid first team until this season. Arsenal were forced to play their youth players just like when Poch first arrived Spurs were forced to play theirs.
  • Stlducks
    1955 posts Play-Off Hero
    I agree with those 3 groups this season and there is potential Arsenal could join group 2 at the end of next season, maybe even Spurs if Mourinho does his usual 2nd season wonder but I've seen no signs of that being a possibility, (current play, potential investment/player growth).

Season after next I can see United and Chelsea challenging if the recruitment is right and the managers are more established or replaced with better managers. Arsenal look to be 1 or 2 years behind this path and Mourinho's 3rd season well you know what happens there. Its all opinion and predictions though we will see.

That is all I have been saying. Give each manager time and we will see. People act like Jose was a failure at United even though he won them trophies. All I want is a trophy for Spurs, I don't care which one. Him winning any trophy would completely change the club and get the "monkey off their backs"

Watching all his interviews since arriving at Spurs, he is completely different than he was at United in his attitude. His haters will easily write him off or say "Jose is at his old tricks" without looking into the story more but I'm cautiously optimistic he can improve the team in the short term.

Going 2 windows without a transfer is what is hurting Spurs most right now but nobody knows how the future will play out.