The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on PC and includes the changes listed here.

Custom tactics needs to go

lordCriper
314 posts Sunday League Hero
At least for online game modes. The game simply can't handle it. I came back to Fifa for some matches on seasons over the past few days, and with a high pressure/aggression/fast buildup custom tactic I can turn almost every game in my favor. So I decided to do some testing.

This is how I've played the games:

- I start every match on default tactics and formation.
- I used different teams from game to game, from 3,5 stars to 5 star teams
- I try to play a passing game plan, trying to emulate the real thing

If my oponent is playing with default tactics as well, it's usually a fun and lag free game, with little to no weird moments.
And yes, you can tell if custom tactics are used. And here lies the problem, if one of us changes to a custom tactic, the other ones players becomes unresponsive as hell. To an extent, the default high pressure also gives this effect, though not as strong obviously.

So, Over the past few days, I've come up against a fair share of players who was in fact better than me and I went behind by one or two goals at half time.
I then switched to my custom "Rabbied gazelle Tactic" and as the 2nd half started I also activate Team Pressure.
Every time, my oponent went from very good to terrible, unable to string more than two passes together. My players became the the offsprings of The Incredible Hulk/The Flash (if that is possible) and 95% of the games I was trailing I managed to win or tie.

You can also counter an oponents custom crap by also switching to your custom, the game will be ridicoulus fast and weird, but at least it's even, right...

Try it out with a mate at home, offline too. You can see and feel the control of your players disappear as soon as your mate switches tacs.

In my opinin, until EA remakes Fifa from the ground up, disabling the custom tactics is the only thing that can make Fifa a decent game again.

Sorry for the long post, it did feel good to write off my frustrations. I've owned every Fifa there ever was, since Fifa 15 though, i've found it hard to motivate myself to play it.

Thanks for reading, and please feel free to give your input on this.

Comments

• eladlad
    549 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Agreed. It should be disabled along with the high pressure via quick tactics.
  • Deni323
    373 posts Sunday League Hero
    It would be a start, but the real solution would be to just fix stamina depletion...if someone plays with 90 aggression the whole game his players have to be at 10% stamina at around 70th minute...untill they do something like that this game is broken.

Last year it was pace, it is fixed now, I honestly thought they'd never fix that, but they did...now high pressure/stamina depletion PLEASE!

I want to play football not ping pong
  • lordCriper
    edited January 2016
    Deni323 wrote: »
    It would be a start, but the real solution would be to just fix stamina depletion...if someone plays with 90 aggression the whole game his players have to be at 10% stamina at around 70th minute...untill they do something like that this game is broken.

Last year it was pace, it is fixed now, I honestly thought they'd never fix that, but they did...now high pressure/stamina depletion PLEASE!

I want to play football not ping pong

I agree stamina should be revamped. But doing that does not solve the impact the custom tactics have on the oponent user.
    A tactic should not directly impact the behaviour of the oponent, but your players. Sure, as a result of your players change of behaviour, the oponent might also need to adjust of course, but that should be in the hands of the user, not the game interprating your input differently by adding input delay and what not...
  • EbenezerOfori
    46 posts Park Captain
    just take away the ability to turn the pressure and aggro up so high.. it is ridiculous ini div 1-2 and 3 on h2h
  • WeirdAdd
    42 posts Last Pick at the Park
    edited January 2016
    Actually if they fixed the PHYSICS of tackling, increases stamina effects and switched off Auto-tackle, then it would be fine.
    The problem is this tactic is helped by how automatic the AI will start tackling. If you tried this in PES, you see how hard it is to maintain, nearly impossible.
  • lordCriper
    WeirdAdd wrote: »
    Actually if they fixed the PHYSICS of tackling, increases stamina effects and switched off Auto-tackle, then it would be fine.
    The problem is this tactic is helped by how automatic the AI will start tackling. If you tried this in PES, you see how hard it is to maintain, nearly impossible.

I hear you mate. Unfortunately that would not change the fact the oponents players becoming sluggish and he/she loses a degree of movement control. As I said, create a high pressure/aggresion tactic and try it out offline with a friend, you'll notice it.
  • Khwalo
    155 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited January 2016
    I'm thankful that i never got used to them as they would spoil me and make me think that i am the best.
    im still new in FIFA right now playing in Div 2 seasons, came up against players with custom tactics and i can tell you those games were hell and horrible as i never got control over the match.
    i dont know why a person would feel proud after they beat you with custom tactics turned on.its some sort of a cheat why cant a person play a normal game?
    I'ts a total cheat and it should be disabled.
  • Rumplefish
    18748 posts World Class
    There's more to custom tactics than just high pressure and aggression...
  • lordCriper
    Rumplefish wrote: »

What do you mean, please elaborate.
  • I SiR MartY I
    5752 posts Big Money Move
    No
  • lordCriper
    No

No what?
  • Rumplefish
    18748 posts World Class
    lordCriper wrote: »
    Rumplefish wrote: »

What do you mean, please elaborate.
    Build up for example, setting you passes to 30 or something lower will make you players expect a short passing game and play closer to each other. A higher number will make them play further from each other expecting long balls
  • lordCriper
    @Rumplefish Yes of course, and if EA can just fix the issues that affects my players when you change your tactics, that would obviously be ideal. I doubt they can do that whough. And untill they can, disabling the custom ones would be best for the game as it is now. Wouldn't you agree...?
  • Rumplefish
    18748 posts World Class
    @Rumplefish Yes of course, and if EA can just fix the issues that affects my players when you change your tactics, that would obviously be ideal. I doubt they can do that whough. And untill they can, disabling the custom ones would be best for the game as it is now. Wouldn't you agree...?

No, because if changing my tactic would've made my opponent players sluggish I wouldn't have lost as much as I do. It doesn't affect your opposition.

Maybe what you're noticing when using high pressure is you opponent losing the ball more often, but that's because you're putting more pressure on him...

• lordCriper
    @Rumplefish Make a custom tactic and set pressing and aggression at 90+ and try it out with a mate offline. If one of you activate it, the other one will notice quite a big change.

I agree with you that if put under pressure, it should have an impact on passes and shots to a point. It should not however, have an impact on the running, turning and general movement of a player. Which is how it is now.

As I said in my first post, I play with the standard formations and tactics and with different teams. Due to 8/10 oponents online pressing like crazy, I decided to do some testing and discovered I can turn games around against more skilled oponents than myself with little effort just with the press of a button.
  • RadioShaq
    15607 posts Moderator
    Terrible idea.
  • lordCriper
    edited January 2016
    RadioShaq wrote: »
    Terrible idea.

Why then? It's broken...
  • footballfan
    67 posts Park Captain
    edited January 2016
    if it's true then the game is truly broke
  • SmallWonder2015
    30 posts Last Pick at the Park
    @Rumplefish Make a custom tactic and set pressing and aggression at 90+ and try it out with a mate offline. If one of you activate it, the other one will notice quite a big change.

I agree with you that if put under pressure, it should have an impact on passes and shots to a point. It should not however, have an impact on the running, turning and general movement of a player. Which is how it is now.

As I said in my first post, I play with the standard formations and tactics and with different teams. Due to 8/10 oponents online pressing like crazy, I decided to do some testing and discovered I can turn games around against more skilled oponents than myself with little effort just with the press of a button.

I think It's not really clear how much advantage you have with custum tactics, because you don't know the style of play of your opponent. You Mention the little effort with just the press of a button, but what about assisted passing. That is .exactly the same.. just press the button with little effort. If custom tactics would be a problem, then assisted settings also
  • I SiR MartY I
    5752 posts Big Money Move
    No

No what?

No to custom tactics being removed. Terrible idea.

Pressure, aggression and stamina need to be neurfed, not custom tactics removed.
  • EisenErmin
    8238 posts League Winner
    I would realy prefer the stamina to decrease way way more. Even a player like Naingollan should be almost dead after 60 minutes running and chasing around like crazy. Just because a player has speed it should not mean he can run at full speed the whole game.
    Custom tactics are fine and the only way to get a passing game going when playing ultra agressive/pressing players.
  • lordCriper
    No

No what?

No to custom tactics being removed. Terrible idea.

Pressure, aggression and stamina need to be neurfed, not custom tactics removed.

Yes, in a perfect world I'd agree with you. However, EA doesn't seem capable of achieving that, do they? The broken custom tactics is not new for Fifa 16. I'd rather they remove a broken feature for the sake of a better gaming experience than have them do nothing about it.
  • lordCriper

I think It's not really clear how much advantage you have with custum tactics, because you don't know the style of play of your opponent. You Mention the little effort with just the press of a button, but what about assisted passing. That is .exactly the same.. just press the button with little effort. If custom tactics would be a problem, then assisted settings also

Well, I don't see how pass assist have anything to do with the sliders that are custom tactics...? I'll ask you two questions: Why would you pressing impact my ability to run and turn as a football player? Does your actions decrease my agility and athleticism in any way?
  • ZebidyAndIrony
    1391 posts Professional
    ea need to get their programmers to realise that if you have high pressure the opponents players should only be affected by the players ability to close down.....not by making them sluggish.

if a gamer wants to rush in without reading the movement of the player he is closing down thats his tough luck.

a pressing game still needs players with good reading pressing ability.
    Not all players have this ability.....bit like not all players can cross well or shoot from distance well.
  • lordCriper
    ea need to get their programmers to realise that if you have high pressure the opponents players should only be affected by the players ability to close down.....not by making them sluggish.

if a gamer wants to rush in without reading the movement of the player he is closing down thats his tough luck.

a pressing game still needs players with good reading pressing ability.
    Not all players have this ability.....bit like not all players can cross well or shoot from distance well.

Exactly what I'm talking about man. Thank you!