Attack of the Mutton! - A Manager Story

IAmLikingFlame
3875 posts National Call-Up
You all have probably seen my Burton Albion story by now. I will also be doing this one, which is less about the results and more about developing the plot and story. I will try to make this last as long as possible, so I'll be doing this on FM15, so as to not have a 15 season limit.

Comments

• IAmLikingFlame
    edited April 2015
    k6575085.jpg

"It was always gonna happen."

"Are you saying that your interview made it so that -"

"No, I'm saying that I was always going to get the job."

Confident, almost arrogant words I know, but it's true. The other candidates included Bundesliga failures, assistant managers, and lads who were sacked for non-footballing reasons. It was a given.

10 years ago, I was a footballer, playing for Leeds on loan from Wolfsburg., 24 years old, with 5 caps for Scotland and the brightest of futures. I had just come off of a season-long loan to Zenit, where I scored twice in the Champions League.

9 years ago, I was history. A preseason friendly agaist PSG, my first match for the Wolfsburg first team (though not official) had been the end of me. I don't like to go into the details, but, just so you can get the jist, I'll tell you the outcome. Torn ACL, torn MCL, torn LCL, torn PCL, torn meniscus, torn patellar tendon, broken kneecap, the list goes on and on.

8, 7, and 6 years ago, I was back in Scotland, coaching the same youth team I had been a part of not 10 years before. Going from a rising star at Wolfsburg to a youth team coach at Motherwell is a graceless process at best, I can tell you.

5 years ago, Motherwell changed my role. Neil McAllister, one of their scouts, was shot while scouting in Colombia. They chose to make me his replacement. I spent a couple years living in Tucson when I was young, so I already had some connections in the States and Mexico, and it wasn't too hard making some down in South America either, so they just had me as a direct replacement for him, scouting the Americas.

4 years ago, I was fired. Apparently, people don't like it when you sleep with your Chief Executive's wife.

Since then, I've been gambling. The funny thing is, the better I got, the more of my bets they took. It's like they thought it was all luck.

It's not luck. You just have to have a method. My method was (0.91863*y)^(717b) -1.43g^(d-of) /b(x+ay)^(g1-g2). Don't say I didn't do anything for you; I just gave you the formula of how to predict the future.

Reinhard Rauball wanted that formula. He wants 1. FC Köln back competing within the Bundesliga and what better way than through a manager that knows exactly how each decision he makes will pan out.

It was easy to predict that the next manager of the club would be me, Graf. Josh Graf.

Now I predict that we'll be in Europe at the end of the season. In fact not just in Europe, but champions.
    Post edited by IAmLikingFlame on
  • I like the writing style in the first update, very interesting character.

Best of luck. B)
  • IAmLikingFlame
    CrossyZ94 wrote: »
    I like the writing style in the first update, very interesting character.

Best of luck. B)
    Thanks mate B)
  • LaMertesackerRun
    6214 posts Big Money Move
    Great opening update, is intriguing :)

Gl.
  • Ahmer50x
    25834 posts Player of the Year
    This guy makes Mourinho look like a shrinking violet :lol:
  • IAmLikingFlame
    edited April 2015
    Great opening update, is intriguing :)

Gl.

Thanks mate.
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    This guy makes Mourinho look like a shrinking violet :lol:

FSfvSrD.png

Shrinking Violet. Yep that's exactly Jose.
  • Ahmer50x
    Did you not get what I meant? Your guy's so arrogant that Jose looks like a shy guy.
  • Alastair
    10246 posts Moderator
    Good luck with this, you person sounds like a great character, if this continues to be so amusing then it should be good. :)
    Torn ACL, torn MCL, torn LCL, torn PCL, torn meniscus, torn patellar tendon, broken kneecap, the list goes on and on.

I really want to know what sort of injury damages all of them. I am struggling to think of what impact to the knee could affect it that badly. 97ada74b88049a6d50a6ed40898a03d7.gif
  • IAmLikingFlame
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    Did you not get what I meant? Your guy's so arrogant that Jose looks like a shy guy.
    Yeah, I know what you meant. It just still seems a little far fetched. It'd take a lot to make Jose look shy.
    Alastair wrote: »
    Good luck with this, you person sounds like a great character, if this continues to be so amusing then it should be good. :)
    Torn ACL, torn MCL, torn LCL, torn PCL, torn meniscus, torn patellar tendon, broken kneecap, the list goes on and on.

I really want to know what sort of injury damages all of them. I am struggling to think of what impact to the knee could affect it that badly. 97ada74b88049a6d50a6ed40898a03d7.gif

I'm not sure either to be honest.97ada74b88049a6d50a6ed40898a03d7.gif

I guess it would probably be something like when Liam Mackay ended that one guy's career in Dream Team and almost got banned from the sport.
  • Ahmer50x
    Stampy G strikes again?
  • IAmLikingFlame
    edited April 2015
    k6575085.jpg

It's a bit disenchanting, to be honest.

I thought it would more daunting; after all, it is my first time as manager and this is a professional club. But it's really not all that daunting for someone who played for a club like Wolfsburg.

When I drove up to the stadium and got out of a Porsche, I could feel the stares of those doing double-takes when I stepped out of the car. That car is Bundesliga money, not crip use-to-play-on-loan-from-a-Bundesliga-club-ten-years-ago money.

I had barely gotten out of the car when someone I assumed was the secretary started dragging me toward the back doors.

"You're late," she snapped at me.

"I realise that," I responded coolly. "I'm used to Motherwell traffic, not Cologne traffic." I paused for a moment, then continued. "And, unless I'm badly mistaken, I'm your boss, not the other way around. Now, get your grubby hands off me, woman!"

It was at that moment that Timo Horn and Kevin Vogt turned the corner.
    Kevin_Vogt_Overview_Profile.pngTimo_Horn_Overview_Profile.png

Timo, to my bewilderment, started screaming at me.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?! You haven't even been introduced as manager and you've already shown to us that you're a sexist! You don't speak like that to anyone, least of all to Merle!"

"Oh, so she has a name. Hmm, interesting," I remarked, dripping with sarcasm.

He takes a lunge toward me. "I don't care who you are. You don't say that about my fiancée. Say that one more time, you're a dead man."

"Okay," I responded. "That's fair. But I'm your manager. The way I see it, you have two options. Shut up, leave, and let me do my job, or stay here, keep insulting me, and your dropped, fined two weeks' wages, sacked as vice captain, and... your" I pause and clear my throat for effect, "missus, will, let's just say, be out of a job."

Horn had, in his eyes, the fiery rage of a thousand dragons, but, held back by his captain, kept silent and started to back away.

"Thank you, Kevin," I remarked as he guided Timo away.

"No problem, Gaffer."

Man, am I glad he got that little ❤️❤️❤️❤️ out of my space. The boy could be real trouble.
    Post edited by IAmLikingFlame on
  • Ahmer50x
    That was proper vindictive there :lol:
  • IAmLikingFlame
    It was, wasn't it >:)
  • LaMertesackerRun
    Another good read. Seems like Horn will be troublesome for the manager.
  • IAmLikingFlame
    Thanks. And the manager will also be troublesome for Horn.
  • Jonathan
    30 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Good luck :)
  • another good read B)
  • IAmLikingFlame
    Thanks lads :)
  • CARSTER
    300 posts Sunday League Hero
    Good luck. Great updates so far. Hopefully you'll be able to get Timo Horn back onside as he'll be a key player for you.
  • IAmLikingFlame
    edited April 2015
    k6575085.jpg

I was finally there. I wanted to make a good impression and arriving late on my first day wouldn’t have made me favoured by the players. The facilities were much smaller than I expected them to be, and I must have driven past the RheinEnergieStadion five times on my way there without noticing. That is how unimpressive the club was for a Bundesliga club. I started to wonder what I had signed myself up for.

When I walked into the locker room, all but one of the coaches were already there, waiting for the meeting to start.

“Where’s Herbert?” I prompted.

My only response was shrugs.

I decided that I should start whether he was there or not. I’d deal with him later.

“Alright then, I guess I should start by introducing myself. I played in the Champions League and I plan to manage in the Champions League too, so I expect everyone in this organisation to give their all to this club. You slack, you’re gone.”

I had their attention now. Apparently they didn’t like the prospect of possibly being fired.

“Now, obviously, this club isn’t necessarily what anybody would consider good… or talented… or displaying potential. But we have a chance at making waves throughout our league. We don’t need too much help in the back. None of them are great, but they’ll do.”

Manfred Schmid finally spoke up.

“You’re right, none of them would really be able to much damage to succeed at the next level, but Wimmer, Vogt, and Pawel could all stop it from being knocked past the goalkeeper a few times this year.”

3972554_orig.png

Olkowski_zps490b6752.jpg

I responded after taking a second to think about that.

“I already know a bit about Wimmer. He played a couple times for Austria, and he held his own out there. He seems to go forward too much though, right?”

“We've started to work with him on that.”

“Great, because I'm going t need him to be a rock in the back for us. I've only heard Pawel's name though, never seen him play. What are your opinions on him?”

“9 caps for Poland. We just got him on a free from Zabrze. He's very athletic; he'll have no problem adapting to this level. He might need some work on his technical skills, though.”

“Alright, anything specific I should know about him?”

“As long as he’s fit enough to stay in the team, he’s fine.”

“Anyone else?”

"Well, there's our keeper, Timo Horn.”
    “Oh, yeah. I've already met him... Alright, thanks for your opinions. We should probably get down to training. It starts in a couple of minutes. Today I'll let them know the ground rules, but, starting tomorrow, if anyone, including the coaches, is even a second late for training, they'll be docked two weeks' wages.”

And, with that, I headed down to our incredibly mediocre training facilities, with my assistants all following me, and with no doubt who the boss was. Or what the boss was expecting.
  • I love this character
  • IAmLikingFlame
    Me too
  • LaMertesackerRun
    Seems like he's a good manager. :)
  • IAmLikingFlame
    Yes. Yes he is.
  • IAmLikingFlame
    k6575085.jpg

I don't like Cologne too much. It's a bit packed; much more so than Motherwell, even more than Wolfsburg. And the weather... let's just say it's rain more than half the time I've been here and it's 20°. This is in July; I can't even imagine what it will be like in December.

At least it's not freezing, like up in Saint Petersburg, but it's definitely not southern Scotland. Maybe I can go manage in Spain or Italy someday. I can put up with this though.

I won't be buying a place though. No thanks. I'm here for a year, two at the most. There's this nice place called der Gutshof near the club that I'll be staying at.

It's nice. I mean, it's not like I care or anything. I don't exactly measure the value of one's life based on their possessions. No, achievements are all that matter. And no one on Köln has any at this level.

As I walked into my room; it was had a great view considering the location -, I heard a voice. A familiar voice.

I looked back out of my room and there, right outside my room was my goalkeeper. Timo Horn.

"What are you doing here?" I demanded.

"I could ask the same of you."

"No, you couldn't. I'm the gaffer. No one questions the gaffer."

"Whatever."

I shook my head. "Whatever, sir. Not 'Whatever'"

"Whatever, sir, he repeated back lackadaisically.

"Answer my question."

"I won't be here forever. I'm sorry, but I can't work with you. We didn't exactly get off on the right foot."

Sir," I reasserted.

"You gave me two options last week," he continued. "I give you two options today." He handed me two envelopes marked 'To the chairman'.

As he walked away, I tar open the two envelopes simultaneously.

I pull out each letter just enough to read the firt line of each.

The first: 'I, Timo Horn, would like to submit a request for transfer.'

The second: 'I, Josh Graf, would like to announce my resignation as manager of FC Köln.'
  • IAmLikingFlame
    So, I'm going to leave the decision up to you, the readers. Should I lose my best player and only quality GK, almost guaranteeing a relegation fight, or should I quit after just a week at the club, and not even a single friendly. Comment your opinion and I'll go with the consensus.
  • Timo has to leave. No player is bigger than the club.