Guide to the False 9 formation: 4-3-3 (5) - by Carswell and Xciljw

13456719
xciljw
4971 posts Big Money Move
edited May 2016
2nup02b.png

Welcome to this FIFA 16 guide, written by @Carswell and @Xciljw, on the 4-3-3 (5) formation, the only formation in the game that does not utilize a striker. Therefore it will be often referred to as the false 9 formation.


Table of Contents
I. Introduction
II. Formation Summary
III. Strengths & Weaknesses
IV. Defending
V. Attacking
VI. Custom Tactics
VII. Instructions
VIII. Positions
IX. Hybrid
X. Teams
XI. Gameplay
XII. About me
XIII. Feedback


Chapter I: Introduction
XCILJW

Through the first months of FIFA 16 people have been asking me during random discussions, through PM and through Xbox Live messages if I was planning on writing another guide to the 4-3-3 (5) formation as I did last year. Pre patch I have been letting people down by telling them that the formation did not function anymore as I was used to play it last year. I did not believe I was the right person to do so.

After the latest patch the game completely changed for me. The formations I used to play, which were 4-3-2-1 and 4-1-2-1-2 (2), were not doing the job for me and I started telling myself the game became quite similar to FIFA 15. Not realizing it at that point, I got my bright moment later: I had to play as I did in FIFA 15. And that is how I got to use the false 9 formation again after the patch. It feels great to be back with it and offer you another year of enjoying the false 9 hopefully!

Note: I am not saying the game is exactly the same as FIFA 15. Compared with pre patch it is more like FIFA 15.
.
CARSWELL

I was already in the process of writing a 4-3-3(5) guide when Xciljw PM’d me about the idea of us coordinating our efforts into one single guide. In FIFA 15 I used the False 9 almost exclusively, and even faced Xciljw in consecutive finals of the first two seasons of the FIFA Forum Intercontinental League (False 9 vs. False 9), but I had some trouble with it early on this year. After starting with the 4-3-3 (5) I went from division 10 to 1 winning all the titles. Division 1 started giving me some headaches and I was having trouble on offense. I switched to 4-3-2-1, 4-1-2-1-2 (2), 4-3-1-2 and 4-3-3 (2) and had small periods of success with all of them. In the end I decided to go back to the False 9. It feels just as good as it always has now. I believe it is a combination of the patch making wingers more effective and the fact that I have improved since the beginning of FIFA 16. At the time of writing this I’ve won three division 1 titles in my last four seasons, and am on track to win my fourth in the last five. Xciljw wrote a large part of this guide, so all that was left for me to do is to add in my opinions and differences in some areas. Some info is added in, and some is specified where my opinion is something different than his. We hope this guide can help a lot of you guys out who have questions or issues on how to use it.
.


Chapter II: Formation Summary

In this chapter we will provide a short summary of the formation.

The 4-3-3 (5) formation is a unique formation on the game. It is the only formation that is not making use of a striker but a centre forward instead. The formation uses four defenders obviously, with the CDM providing extra defensive cover. With the centre forward joining midfield it can become very similar to 4-1-2-1-2 (2). The only difference is that this formation is a little more offensive oriented and provides more width in your attack.

The formation is probably one of the more balanced formations on the game. As earlier mentioned there is extra cover provided by the CDM, it is small in midfield which is good for quick combinations and width in the attack, so you can utilise wingers as well. The formation will not fit anyone as it can be hard playing without striker. You must be able to pass effectively and dribble well to counter the high pressure you will face in the higher divisons, but as stated, the midfield setup and wingers will make it much easier to find the open man.

2rrq682.png
The 4-3-3 (5) formation as it is in FIFA 16



Chapter III: Strengths & Weaknesses

In this chapter we will discuss the strengths and weaknesses of the false 9 formation.

STRENGTHS
+ Extra Defensive Cover: The road to great performances always required having a solid defence first. Therefore, it is very important to have some extra defensive cover which help you keeping that clean sheet. The Central Defensive Midfielder is doing this job by sitting just in front of defence, even though he may be tempted to rush forward sometimes. This also keeps the formation balanced.
+ Quick Passing In Midfield: The midfield is quite narrow. This is very helpful to do some quick passing in midfield and still being able to stay on the ball. The narrowness should allow you to play a decent possession game. The quick passing in midfield even gets easier when the centre forward falls back and you will be in midfield with four players, which means every player has three passing possibilities.
+ Width In Attack: Another strength is the width of the attack in the formation. Especially after the patch I noticed that I couldn’t handle a narrow attack together with a narrow midfield. I found myself getting on the ball with my strikers on the wing instead of in the centre of the pitch. So instead of going from centre of the pitch to the wing, this formation is very helpful to dive into the space behind the false 9. This means the run you make starts at the wing and ends in the centre of the pitch, which makes you way harder to defend and more of a trait, because you are facing the goal. Besides, structural width in attack means it is easier to stay on the ball, because there is more space available all over the pitch.

WEAKNESSES
- Lack Of A Real Striker: The false 9 formation lacks a real striker and therefore might be hard for some to adjust to. If you are willing to use the formation you need patience to adapt to it and get to know how to use the centre forward. It is not necessarily a bad thing, but can be a bad thing if you don’t know how to use this player.
- Midfielders Rush Forward: Another weakness in the formation is that the midfielders might rush forward. This is not a weakness that only is a weakness for this formation, but it is a weakness for any formation on FIFA. It is not bad to have one or two midfielders join the attack, but when all three decide to rush forward it leaves you vulnerable for counters. Instructions can help this issue but only to a limited extent. Because of this, you must learn to pay attention when attempting 1-2 passes, because you don’t want to send your CDM on a run for instance so his passes should NEVER be using the LB button.


Chapter IV: Defending

This chapter will be used to describe and explain our way of defending in 4-3-3 (5) and we will try to give you some tips or advice for defending with this formation. I am more than 100% aware that people have different ways or different styles of defending and therefore I am not going into it too deep, as it requires a lot of time to adapt a new style of defending after years of having another defending style. I have divided this into three stages, which differ in the opponent having the ball in defense, midfield or attack.

FIRST STAGE: USE YOUR ATTACK TO PRESSURE THE OPPONENT
In the first stage we assume that your opponent's defense is on the ball. What you need to do is track back your attackers, to make it hard for your opponent to get the ball into midfield, because you will make it crowded there. Make sure your opponent needs to pass to an option on the wing, because from that position they can’t harm you as much as from the centre of the pitch. Once you managed to track back your attackers and make spaces in midfield small, you start pressing with your centre forward, forcing your opponent to make the move. The reason to press with your centre forward, assuming one of the centre backs are on the ball, is that your will press in the centre of the pitch. This will automatically forece your opponent to the wing. If you did well and your opponent goes for a quick pass, you have a decent chance to intercept it with your midfielders or your wingers. Using second man press effectively while manually controlling your CF can increase the possiblity of winning the ball high up the pitch, but should be used sparingly. The possibility is always there that your opponent manages to get through your first bit of pressure. If that is the case, defending will get into the second stage.

SECOND STAGE: TRACK BACK YOUR MIDFIELDERS AND/OR ATTACKERS
In the second stage we assume your opponent's midfield is on the ball. So this means you pressed the opponent's defense with your attack and he managed to still get a ball to a player you can't push off the ball. This is the moment you need to realize to stop pressing and start tracking back your midfielders to provide extra cover. The more players you have at the back, the less space there is for your opponent to play decent football and create chances. You need to wait until you see the possibility with one of your midfielders to press and at the same time cover the player you were marking with this player. You will either win the ball, your opponent does a quick pass to a player that is getting marked, which means you will intercept it, or your opponent keeps running with the same player, getting into a position he can not score from. Note that nine out of ten opponents tend to get to the centre of the pitch, so in case they are on the right or left side of the pitch and you pressure them with the centre central midfielder, make sure to cover the pass in the middle.

THIRD STAGE: SIT AND WAIT
In the third stage we assume that your opponent's attack is on the ball and facing your defense, without the midfield being around to provide some extra cover. So let's say that your opponent is rushing towards your defense. When you are outside the box and you notice it will be hard to stop it, because the guy is zigzagging or skilling the entire team, just go for the slide tackle. With this slide tackle you should not aim for the ball, but you should time your tackle so your tackle will be just in front of the player and he walks into your tackle. When this happens you avoid missing him and conceding a free kick. When he gets inside the box, make sure not to try to push him off the ball and avoid all slide tackles, even though the latest patch affected penalties on a positive note for the defender. Just stay between the ball and the goal and try to cover in a way that you force your opponent to go to the outside, which is a less promising position to shoot from. When they get into this position they are forced to either run into your player, who will touch the ball first and therefore it won't be a pen, or they will cross it and your defender will be able to block it. Let them make the move, sit back and wait.

29uylu9.png
Thiago Motta (PSG) trying to get Alexandre Lacazette (Lyon) off the ball with a sliding tackle



Chapter V: Attacking

In this chapter we will discuss how to use the formation in order to create the chances you need to score and win a game.

DISTRIBUTING WITH THE GOALKEEPER
The build-up of a decent attack starts at the back and therefore I will first be covering how to distribute the ball with the goalkeeper. In case of a goal kick the formation does allow you to kick the ball to your attackers or midfielders, as they will be all over the pitch and have some space to control the ball. The options to this are either the left/right winger, depending on the side which you are on when taking the goal kick, and the centre forward if he has some height. Usually I ask my players to come short and pass the ball to the left or right back, depending on the side the goal kick is taken from. When this option is unavailable due to your opponent pressuring this player, do not try to be creative by passing to one of your centre backs, as every mistake with your pass or in ball control can result in conceding a goal. Often times the opponent will be running his forward around one of your CB’s, at which time a driven pass to your CDM (or CM if your CDM is covered) can be work, but because it is somewhat cheeky it is also risky. That being said, I almost never give it away off of goal kicks using this method. At the point when all of the options in your half are covered, you should look for the player up front which has most space available and just hope this player controls the ball before your opponent gets close. Key is not to take risk while distributing the ball with your goalkeeper. You can better lose the ball up the pitch then at your defence.

In case your goalkeeper has the ball in his hands, use your radar to look for the possibilities to get the ball to. I prefer throwing the ball, using a goalkeeper with the Long Thrower trait. Just take your time to look for options, walk around in the box, see where your opponent is running to. Your opponent will often try to cover the throw you are going to make and therefore they give you the possibility to throw the ball to another player. Most of the time you will end up giving the ball to one of your full backs or one of your centre backs, but there is a decent chance that there will be some space for your wingers to receive the ball from a throw. In case you really do not see a possibility to distribute the ball to an unmarked player in your team, which has never happened to me, try to kick the ball to the tallest player on your team. Avoid all risky situations which can make you lose the ball close to your goal.

GOING FORWARD FROM DEFENSE
We will now assume two situations which can occur after distributing the ball with your goalkeeper. You managed to throw or pass it to one of your full backs and the other situation we assume is that you managed to throw the ball to one of your centre backs. For both situations is described how to move forward from here.

The first assumption we do is that you managed to get the ball to your full back. In case you managed to do this after calling your players to come short with a goal kick, it means that your full back is far back. Therefore you can control the ball and start moving forward from here. Often the attacker starts pressing you, so you need to make a decision quickly. Do I have the space to cut back and pass the ball to the centre back, or is he covering this possibility and giving you more space to move forward? When you manage to cut back and pass the ball to the closest centre back your full back will get back in his position and you can continue playing the ball to the other centre back. In case you decided to make use of the space and dribble forward with your full back, keep looking for the midfielder that you can give the ball to or the possibility of still cutting back in a later occasion, which guarantees possession of the ball and gives you the time to consider your options in midfield or a pass back. You can also consider giving a ball to the feet of the left or right winger. This is almost always effective but make sure you check your radar just before the pass to see if the winger is open, and if he is, ALWAYS use the driven pass so that the opponent’s outside back doesn’t have time to intercept. I would avoid situations in which you push up forward too far with your full back. Every step you go forward gets you one step further out of position, making the distance to cover, in case you lose the ball, bigger.

The other assumption we did is having the ball with one of the centre backs. After controlling the ball with one of your centre backs, start looking at the movement in midfield, look at the space your full backs might get to overlap and if there is no option, get the ball to the other centre back. If there is no option available, not even the other centre back, start dribbling a little wider and you should be able to find the space in midfield at that point or it will make it easier to reach your full back. I never needed to pass the ball back to the goalkeeper to keep possession, so you should be fine. If your full back had space earlier but the distance to cover was too big, use the driven pass to cover this distance. How to use the driven pass is explained later in this chapter. Most important is to keep it simple with your centre backs, because they normally are not the best passing and dribbling players.

LINKING UP MIDFIELD AND ATTACK
Once you found the space to get the ball to one of your midfielders the fun begins. At this point you will start quick passing, so having only one or two touches with most players. Make sure you are facing the players you want to pass to, otherwise this will not work. Definitely do not force quick passing either. Control the ball if it hard to pass immediately and in case there is no option available for quick passing.

Often you will find your midfielders in a triangle or square, considering the centre forward as midfielder in this stage as well. Your midfielders will be swapping positions quite often. Because they are playing in this shape, you should always be able to find the easy option to pass the ball to another of your midfielders. When you have some space in midfield you can always pass to the centre forward and immediately pass it to another midfielder before the defenders rush out. In this situation you will often find your midfielder making the run into the box and getting into a scoring opportunity.

Besides quick passing, you can also look to give a through ball with a midfielder to one of your wingers. It is just a case of recognizing situations in which players usually make runs and waiting for the right moment to give the through ball. Consider the pace of your attacker before giving the pass. It would be unfortunate if you recognize the situation, give a great ball and your player will not be able to get to it because he is too slow.

In midfield you can also keep your eye on the space on the wings, especially the space besides the left and right central midfielder. This is the space the full back can use to overlap to get your opponent's players out of the crowded centre of the pitch. Once again, I would like to remind you that I would not go forward too far with your full back, especially now you are using wingers. Still the full back can be great to move forward in this formation.

CONVERT POSSESSION FOR ATTACKERS INTO SCORING OPPORTUNITIES
I will now go through some ways to convert possession for one of the attackers into a great scoring opportunity. There are a few: 1-2s between the centre forward and one of the wingers, watching the runs into the box from midfielders, passing your way into the box and skilling your way through.

The first one I would like to discuss is using 1-2s between the wingers and striker. Because your wingers are not playing the same line as your centre forward the opponent often leaves gaps in his defense because he wants to pressure you while you are on the ball with wingers or false 9. What you should do is a 1-2 pass to your centre forward, which makes the winger run through the defense. All you need to do with your centre forward now is to give a through ball. In case there is no space to give the through ball, turn the other way and find your other winger or go for a shot if there is space and you are in a decent position to shoot.

As described earlier your box-to-box midfielders and in a very few occassions even the more defensive midfielder will make runs into the box. When having the ball with one of your attackers pay attention to their runs as they can provide you either space for a dribble or they can be ignored by the defence and therefore have the space to receive the ball and have shot on goal.

A third way to find your way into the box, going in for shot, is by passing your way into it. So once you notice that you managed to force your opponent back into his own box, his defenders will often give your players the space (even in the box) to receive the ball. Find your left or right winger who cut inside in this case and finesse the ball into the back corner if there is space to. You can also pass the ball into the feet of your centre forward, try a fake shot to turn around shoot on goal. In case the opponent decides to run into you, he might foul you and cause a penalty this way. You won’t get the penalties as easy as pre patch though!

The last way I will discuss to get into scoring opportunities is using skill moves. I know that not everyone can do them but I recommend anyone to learn them. Two or three years back I was unable to do a single skill move and all my skill moves were based on luck. Now I know what I am doing it is much easier to get past players and to create chances. For those that would like to know which skill moves could be effective: Ball Roll, Roulette, Step Overs, Berba Spin, (Reverse) Elastico.

HELPFUL SKILLS AND TRICKS TO ATTACK
Face-up Dribble (83c94ad65ce48fe8610df578cff55e7e.png L2+R2 | xbox.png LT+RT)
The face-up dribble makes you unpredictable. When you are dribbling with a player and you notice a defender is going to perform a slide tackle for instance, the face-up dribble is a fast way to control the ball and change direction in your dribble. It might need some practice to recognize the right situations to use it, but when you know how to use it, it is very effective.

1-2s (83c94ad65ce48fe8610df578cff55e7e.pngL1+X | xbox.png LB+A)
The first occasion to use it is when I am on the ball with one of my full backs and I notice the attacker hunting me is catching up with me and there is a lot of space in front of me. Then I would use this pass to the closest midfielder, so my full back dives into space and all the midfielder needs to do is reach my full back with a through ball. The attacker hunting the full back has stopped running and therefore the full back has a lot of space on the wing.

The second situation to use this is with one of your forwards and striker to exploit the gaps in the defense that got there because your opponent wants to press your forward. This makes the forward dive into the gap immediately. If the striker manages to reach the forward you can go for the shot. This forward can either be your left/right winger or your centre forward.

Driven Pass (83c94ad65ce48fe8610df578cff55e7e.png R1+X | xbox.png RB+A)
XCILJW

I barely use the driven pass, but it can be very helpful if there is a big distance to cover between your centre back and your full back. Using this type of pass speeds up your play and makes it hard for the opponent to intercept the pass, though it has some distance.

You can also use it to reach your false 9 or winger into his feet when there is some space to pass him the ball, but it is too crowded to cover the distance with a normal pass. This type of pass allows you to still reach the striker. By using quick passing you can continue your attack.
.
CARSWELL

I, on the other hand, almost abuse the driven pass. As Xciljw stated, the driven pass to a winger or CF from your defense can work wonders, and is how alot of my attacks start (I switch it up often from going with a slow buildup to a quick one with the use of one single driven pass). Just make sure to hold LT when receiving the ball. It seems to make a great difference for me. One other hint that works very well against high pressure opponents (nearly everyone in D1) is to use the driven pass to the winger from your wingback, control the ball with your winger and keep your back to the opponent’s outside defender. At this point he will be right ON your winger’s back, now is the time to hold LB and press a simple A pass BACK to your outside back. Your winger will now make an awesome run that your opponent very well may not be manually tracking. You can now hit a lobbed through ball or ground through ball (make sure to add enough power) from your outside back to your sprinting winger and have a nice bit of space.
.

Off-The-Ball Dribbling
This is key in many attacks for me. Let off of the sprint button, then LB for a split second. Let off of LB and hold sprint in the desired direction and your player will have a great burst of acceleration. With the right timing it is very easy to catch an opponent’s defender off guard and give you alot of space. I use it with my wingers mostly to cut in. It can completely take the opponent’s outside back out of the game momentarily and allow you to perform a 1-2 with your winger to your CF. Your winger can now be in on goal.

1112vjo.png
Sergio Aguero (Man City) face to face with Thibaut Courtois (Chelsea)



Chapter VI: Custom Tactics

In this chapter we will discuss the custom tactics we use for this formation.

XCILJW

BUILD UP PLAY
Speed, 70
Passing, 55
Positioning, Organised

CHANCE CREATION
Passing, 60
Crossing, 25
Shooting, 60
Positioning, Free Form

DEFENSE
Pressure, 47
Aggression, 55
Team Width, 54
Defender line, Cover
.
CARSWELL

BUILD UP PLAY
Speed, 70
Passing, 30
Positioning, Free Form

CHANCE CREATION
Passing, 60
Crossing, 20
Shooting, 70
Positioning, Free Form

DEFENSE
Pressure, 60
Aggression, 55
Team Width, 55
Defender Line, Cover
.

If you would like to know more about these values and how they influence the formation, make sure to check out the Custom Tactics Guide by @AznSW.


Chapter VII: Instructions

In this chapter we will be dealing with the instructions we use.

CENTRE BACKS, Stay Back
This is a very obvious instruction. The centre backs are there to defend and they should stay at the back all the time to provide a good defensive cover to stop the opponent's attacks.

FULL BACKS, Default
I instructed the full backs the default instructions. It is essential for this formation that the full backs make use of the space in front of them, being a good passing option for the centre backs and midfielders. However, you can't instruct them to always overlap, because it would make the defence more vulnerable and it would clash with the width on attack. The instruction Stay Back While Attacking is optional.

CENTRAL DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER, Stay Back While Attacking, Man Mark
The central defensive midfielder is supposed to stay back while attacking, being the more defensive minded midfielder that supports the defense and balances the midfield. Like in any other formation, this player still pushes up forward sometimes, regardless the instruction.

LEFT & RIGHT CENTRAL MIDFIELDER, Default
XCILJW
I prefer using my left and right central midfielder as box-to-box players and therefore they should cover big distances during the game. Therefore I instruct them the default instructions so they stay in position, are involved in attack but also fall back to defend.
.
CARSWELL

I prefer to use Free Roam on my midfielders. I have experimented both ways this year and I seem to find that they get open a bit easier. That being said, they may not be as reliable on defense as some may like.
.

LEFT & RIGHT WINGER, Cut Inside, Run Behind Lines
With the centre forward falling back into midfield it leaves a gap the wingers can get into by cutting inside. I decided to give them the instruction to run behind lines, because it will give you the possibility to have some depth in your play. It makes you unpredictable when you have the possibility to get your winger one-on-one with the goalie with a through pass and to pass the ball to their feet. You can use your radar to see what run your winger is making. The instruction Stay Forward is optional.

CENTRE FORWARD, Stay Central, Target Man
Having the centre forward stay central and play as a target man means that he will fall back into the midfield, which actually creates a diamond in the midfield. This means there will be triangles which you can use to have more than just one passing possibility. This makes it much easier to stay on the ball and play a good possession and passing game. By falling back into midfield it will open up space for the wingers to make use of.


Chapter VIII: Positions

In this chapter we will discuss all positions in the formation and mention what they should be able to do, what skills they require, what workrates are preferred and I will suggest some example players for every position.

GOALKEEPER
You can pick any goalkeeper you want, which will probably be the one that has the highest saving percentage for you. If possibly, pick one that has the Long Thrower trait.

Key Attributes: Reflexes, Diving, Positioning, Handling
Preferred Workrates: Not applicable
Best Players: Manuel Neuer, Thibaut Courtois, Petr Čech


FULL BACKS
The full backs need to be decent defenders in the first place, have the pace to keep up with their opponent on the wings, the dribbling to be a threat for the opponents once moving forward and have the passing to get the ball to a teammate. This position needs a very all-round player.

Key Attributes: Marking, Interceptions, Standing Tackle, Ball Control, Dribbling, Sprint Speed, Acceleration, Short Passing, Stamina
Preferred Workrates: High/Medium, High/High
Best RB Players: Stephan Lichtsteiner, Danilo, Nathaniel Clyne
Best LB Players: David Alaba, Jordi Alba, Marcelo


CENTRE BACKS
The centre backs need to be defensively solid, so they should be able to get the ball over the ground and in the air. Some pace could be useful but it is mainly the defensive and physical skills that the defender needs to keep the opponent from scoring. Usually I would prefer a left footed centre back as left centre back and a right footed player as right centre back, but I feel this FIFA the centre backs swap position quite often. Any ball control and short passing is not required, but can be very useful.

Key Attributes: Marking, Interceptions, Standing Tackle, Sliding Tackle, Aggression, Heading, Jumping, Strength, Ball Control, Short Passing
Preferred Workrates: Low/High, Medium/High, Medium/Medium
Best Players: Giogio Chiellini, Jérôme Boateng, Diego Godín, Mats Hummels, Vincent Kompany


CENTRAL DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER
XCILJW

The central defensive midfielder is the midfielder who can be considered as the midfielder sitting in front of the defence, providing some extra cover and besides making sure your team remains balanced. I prefer a pure central defensive midfielder in this position with decent passing and not a central midfielder who is very strong going forward and only decent defensively. It requires someone with some height and strength, so he can push opponents off the ball, besides his defensive qualities. The centre central midfielder may still go forward sometimes, so there is some need to be decent on the ball. This is also the player that links up defence and midfield. Therefore this position is key as well for making a hybrid.
.
CARSWELL

I have always preferred CDM’s who have passing and dribbling ability, so if you have a bit extra to fork out for this position, the likes of Busquets and Lahm are aboslutely amazing and give you that extra ability to keep and distribute the ball from this spot.
.

Key Attributes: Interceptions, Standing Tackle, Strength, Aggression, Stamina, Short Passing, Ball Control, Dribbling
Preferred Workrates: Medium/High, Low/High
Best Players according to Xciljw: Nemanja Matić, Luiz Gustavo, Sami Khedira
Best Players according to Carswell: Sergio Busquets, Phillip Lahm


LEFT & RIGHT CENTRAL MIDFIELDER
For this formation there are two types of midfielders: box-to-box midfielders and more offensive oriented midfielders. To keep the formation balanced I would include AT LEAST one box-to-box midfielder. The decision is yours to go with two box-to-box midfielders or a box-to-box midfielder paired with a more offensive oriented midfielder. These players should be able to be all over the pitch, contributing to attack and defence. Therefore we need all round players with lots of stamina if you want the player to keep going the entire 90 minutes. Pace makes it easier to cover distances quickly. The left and right central midfielder pop up in the box very often, so expect them to get into scoring possibilities.

Key Attributes: Ball Control, Short Passing, Long Passing, Interceptions, Standing Tackle, Dribbling, Sprint Speed, Acceleration, Shot Power
Preferred Workrates Box-To-Box Midfielder: High/High, Medium/Medium
Preferred Workrates Offensive Midfielder: High/Medium
Best Box-To-Box Players: Arturo Vidal, Radja Nainggolan, Claudio Marchisio, Koke
Best Offensive Players: Andres Iniesta, Luka Modric, Paul Pogba, Cesc Fabregas


LEFT & RIGHT WINGER
The left and right winger need to be players cutting in with their stronger foot, which means you use a left footed player as right forward and right footed player as left forward. They need to able to dribble smoothly, fire a decent shot and the more pace they have the better. They need to be able to create chances and prepare them for the rest of the team. Having the ability to finish themselves is important as well.

Key Attributes: Sprint Speed, Accelartion, Agility, Balance, Ball Control, Shot Power, Finishing, Short Passing, Dribbling, Long Shots, Positioning, Curve
Preferred Workrates: High/Medium, High/Low
Best RW Players: Lionel Messi, Arjen Robben, Gareth Bale
Best LW Players: Cristiano Ronaldo, Eden Hazard, Marco Reus


CENTRE FORWARD
The player used in this position needs to be a very complete, because he must be able to create chances for his team and finish them himself as well. He requires great dribbling, passing and shooting and besides that physical stats and pace are very nice to have on this player, even though they are no real requirement. Height can help this player being a trait through the air, but you will not be likely to cross anyway. It is good to have the option to do it. The player in this position can either be a converted striker or converted CAM.

Key Attributes: Finishing, Shot Power, Strength, Ball Control, Dribbling, Positioning, Volleys, Short Passing, Curve, Agility
Preferred Workrates: Medium/Medium, High/High, High/Medium
Best Converted Strikers: Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Thomas Muller, Robert Lewandowski, Luis Suarez, Antoine Griezmann
Best Converted CAMs: Kevin de Bruyne, Santi Cazorla, James Rodriguez


16lmj5y.png
You need to make sure to pick the right players to get the most out of the formation



Chapter IX: Hybrid

In this chapter we will be showing you a couple of examples how you can use this formation to make a hybrid.

So first I will discuss what a hybrid is. Probably most of you already know, but for those that don't, a hybrid is a team consisting out of players from at least three different leagues and three different nations.

In the following pictures all green links represent a strong link. So that could be players from the same club or players from the same country that play in the same league. Please bare in mind that these are not all options and that all options can also be used with vertical symmetry.

2agrgk6.png2we01ti.png294tklx.png

If you are not sure whether the team you have in mind gets full chemistry, feel free to ask me or use the Futhead or Futwiz to see if your players are on full chemistry.


Chapter X: Teams

In this chapter you will find the teams we used and the creative teams posted by the community, which fit the formation as described in this guide.

OUR TEAMS

XCILJW
312tngi.png

CARSWELL
23kt2ec.png2z3v3px.png

COMMUNITY TEAMS
Will be added once people start posting their teams.



Chapter XI: Gameplay

In this chapter we will include gameplay I have recorded over time for you to see how I use this formation. Obviously every game played contains mistakes and therefore my play in these gameplay videos won't be without errors. The good thing is you can learn from the mistakes we make.

Xciljw vs Carswell in the FFIL Final
Sorry about the lag first game, second is much better to watch!

See the following chapter to get notified when I have new gameplay available for you.


Chapter XII: About Us
XCILJW

Besides my work on the forums as Community Writer to contribute to the FIFA community, I am also streaming on Twitch to contribute to the community and give you guys the opportunity to enjoy my games as well. So if you want you can also follow me on Twitch and Twitter and possibly sub on YouTube to know what I am up to and see some more gameplay.

twitchtv.png XcilPersion

favicon.ico @ XcilPersion

youtube-32.png XcilPersion
.
CARSWELL

I don’t have a Twitch channel or Twitter or YouTube (for now at least) but I would consider myself an above average player (not to sound cocky) who wants to help players learn the benefits of this great formation. It was awesome to team up with Xciljw (who did SO much of the work on this awesome guide) to show some different sides of how this formation can be used. I plan on making my own thread where I will post gameplay clips from seasons (ALL games not just ones where I play well) and analyze them to see what I did wrong and what I did right to hopefully help others out so that they don’t perform the same mistakes I did.
.


Chapter XIII: Feedback

Last but not least, please feel free to give feedback to this guide. Tell us about your view on this formation and let us know if there are parts you don't agree on, so we can discuss this and find out in what ways the formation can be used. For questions, please ask them in the comments below and we will get back to you as soon as possible!

Post edited by xciljw on

Comments

  • Shearer09NUFC1
    1203 posts Professional
    Great guide, really helpful.
    What legend for less than 400k would you play at cf?
  • What are the differences between the 2 custom tactics in terms of both your styles?
  • Shane
    23803 posts Club Captain
    amazing guide! One of my favourite formations this year
  • Carswell
    8190 posts League Winner
    Great guide, really helpful.
    What legend for less than 400k would you play at cf?

    Litmanen, Deco, Michael Laudrup would all be good shouts.
  • Carswell
    8190 posts League Winner
    What are the differences between the 2 custom tactics in terms of both your styles?

    His buildup is a bit quicker with slightly riskier passing. He also has organized buildup so as he wins the ball and starts attacks, his players will stick to their positions. I prefer shorter safer passing with free roam from the get-go. Not sure how much difference it makes but it seems to work for me.
  • Raistlin
    1405 posts Professional
    Great job guys

  • Carswell
    8190 posts League Winner
    Raistlin wrote: »
    Great job guys

    Thanks babe

  • Tommytom1992
    43 posts Park Captain
    Thoughts on using Messi at CF? Or is he better suited to the RW?
  • xciljw
    4971 posts Big Money Move
    Shane wrote: »
    amazing guide! One of my favourite formations this year

    @Shane Thanks a lot mate! Appreciate your comment.
  • Carswell
    8190 posts League Winner
    xciljw wrote: »
    Shane wrote: »
    amazing guide! One of my favourite formations this year

    @Shane Thanks a lot mate! Appreciate your comment.

  • xciljw
    4971 posts Big Money Move
    edited January 2016
    Thoughts on using Messi at CF? Or is he better suited to the RW?

    @Tommytom1992 Whatever you like. Messi is a top class player and can play anywhere. Has the ability to do everything he needs to be able to do to be a successful centre forward (except for some physical stats, but you don't necessarily need those). Not sure if he is better suited as RW as I have not used him there. @Carswell uses/used him as RW, not sure if he tried him as CF well. Planning on possibly doing a Road to Glory with Ronaldo and Messi myself if I can afford the two of them later this week with TOTY. So if I manage to get both of them I will be able to try him on both positions and tell you about it.
  • Tommytom1992
    43 posts Park Captain
    xciljw wrote: »
    Thoughts on using Messi at CF? Or is he better suited to the RW?

    @Tommytom1992 Whatever you like. Messi is a top class player and can play anywhere. Has the ability to do everything he needs to be able to do to be a successful centre forward (except for some physical stats, but you don't necessarily need those). Not sure if he is better suited as RW as I have not used him there. @Carswell uses/used him as RW, not sure if he tried him as CF well. Planning on possibly doing a Road to Glory with Ronaldo and Messi myself if I can afford the two of them later this week with TOTY. So if I manage to get both of them I will be able to try him on both positions and tell you about it.

    Alright thank you, will try him at both and see where he shines!
  • xciljw
    4971 posts Big Money Move
    xciljw wrote: »
    Thoughts on using Messi at CF? Or is he better suited to the RW?

    @Tommytom1992 Whatever you like. Messi is a top class player and can play anywhere. Has the ability to do everything he needs to be able to do to be a successful centre forward (except for some physical stats, but you don't necessarily need those). Not sure if he is better suited as RW as I have not used him there. @Carswell uses/used him as RW, not sure if he tried him as CF well. Planning on possibly doing a Road to Glory with Ronaldo and Messi myself if I can afford the two of them later this week with TOTY. So if I manage to get both of them I will be able to try him on both positions and tell you about it.

    Alright thank you, will try him at both and see where he shines!

    Let me know what you think! :wink:
  • Getbanged_2015
    306 posts Sunday League Hero
    Guys thoughts on Sif Sterling and Sif bale?
  • WHU18
    2047 posts Fans' Favourite
    This is just what I was looking for. Nice one :)
    At cf would u have 90 ibra or 90 lew? Or another choice? 400k max
  • Sokker14
    4247 posts National Call-Up
    I'm yet to go through everything, but it looks good from what I've seen! Looks a bit like the 4-2-3-1 formation guide, but there's no shame in that :-p.

    4-3-3 (5) is and has always been my second favourite formation, so I'll possibly give it a read later this week.
  • 2 teams for 50k and 1 team for 100k please.
  • CaptainAfricaBl
    13 posts Ball Boy
    edited January 2016
    I'm struggling this year in fifa. Last year I would win div 1 with ease and this year I have been in div 2 and 3 any words of advice
  • KingLionel10
    15009 posts World Class
    Cracking stuff lads. Well done @xciljw & @Carswell :+1:

    Just about copying one of @Carswell's teams made me love this formation.
  • Khangaskhan17
    3855 posts National Call-Up
    Amazing guide. So well written. Learned a lot and am looking forward to trying the formation soon from both perspectives. Thanks guys! :)
  • COACH
    20494 posts Club Captain
    Great job guys!
  • Carswell
    8190 posts League Winner
    Guys thoughts on Sif Sterling and Sif bale?

    @Getbanged_2015 both look good to me especially Bale. SIFs often make a noticeable difference IMO.

    WHU18 wrote: »
    This is just what I was looking for. Nice one :)
    At cf would u have 90 ibra or 90 lew? Or another choice? 400k max

    @WHU18 Definitely Ibra!
    I'm struggling this year in fifa. Last year I would win div 1 with ease and this year I have been in div 2 and 3 any words of advice

    @CaptainAfricaBl Check out our gameplay when we post some soon. Be patient and forgot about winning and concentrate on playing well and the goals will come.


    Cracking stuff lads. Well done @xciljw & @Carswell :+1:

    Just about copying one of @Carswell's teams made me love this formation.

    @KingLionel10 Thanks boss glad to help. I am loving my teams now that I got Leo!

    Amazing guide. So well written. Learned a lot and am looking forward to trying the formation soon from both perspectives. Thanks guys! :)

    @Khangaskhan17 Thanks man!
    COACH wrote: »
    Great job guys!

    Thanks @COACH
  • Remzy69
    2102 posts Fans' Favourite
    Nice in depth guide, I think I'll do a mixture of your guide combined with @FCK_Benz 's guide. Best CF in your opinion guys?
  • Lynk
    31 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Messi or ibra motm as cf?
  • Remzy69
    2102 posts Fans' Favourite
    Lynk wrote: »
    Messi or ibra motm as cf?
    Both are awesome. But Messi is better imo.
  • rckstr
    5288 posts Big Money Move
    Very nice guide guys. Tempted to give this a go, not done so yet this year but the guide has persuaded me.

    Do your wingers get involved a lot in goal scoring chances?
  • xciljw
    4971 posts Big Money Move
    Guys thoughts on Sif Sterling and Sif bale?

    @Getbanged_2015 Great players. Lovely to have both on your team. Both have their cons obviously (physical aspect for Sterling and for Bale that he doesn't feel very fast or agile due to agility and balance). But I agree with Carswell that both look like very decent upgrades (even though SIF Bale is not here yet).
  • xciljw
    4971 posts Big Money Move
    WHU18 wrote: »
    This is just what I was looking for. Nice one :)
    At cf would u have 90 ibra or 90 lew? Or another choice? 400k max

    @WHU18 One of those will be great. I think I would go with Lewandowski to be honest, also because of the players around him. So I disagree with Carswell on this one. It is just a matter of what you prefer yourself and what you want to build around it. They are very similar but in this case I think I Lewan's dribbling is what me made choosing him over 90 Ibra (besides links).
  • xciljw
    4971 posts Big Money Move
    Sokker14 wrote: »
    I'm yet to go through everything, but it looks good from what I've seen! Looks a bit like the 4-2-3-1 formation guide, but there's no shame in that :-p.

    4-3-3 (5) is and has always been my second favourite formation, so I'll possibly give it a read later this week.

    @Sokker14 Thanks! No shame in that indeed, as the guide you and Liam have written deals with so many topics and looks great on the forums. So that means you have done a great job yourself. :

    I remember our talks about False 9 on FIFA 15. Once I am streaming again feel free to join in (I remember you asking me to stream my games in the Pro Cup with it). :wink:
Sign In or Register to comment.