Liverpool Football Club

Comments

• El_Nino
    6402 posts Big Money Move
    Thiago and White would be good business if it’s all you can afford, White I wouldn’t be suprised to see establish himself as better than Gomez/Matip petty quickly, while Thiago is world class, and most importantly for you offers a slightly new dynamic.

Honestly I don’t think that’s enough to keep you ahead of City(if they spend what’s expected) but it’s certainly good business for basically no net spend.
  • Pietu
    7245 posts Big Money Move
    El_Nino wrote: »
    Thiago and White would be good business if it’s all you can afford, White I wouldn’t be suprised to see establish himself as better than Gomez/Matip petty quickly, while Thiago is world class, and most importantly for you offers a slightly new dynamic.

Honestly I don’t think that’s enough to keep you ahead of City(if they spend what’s expected) but it’s certainly good business for basically no net spend.

Hold up. People are talking about White like he is some sort of a monster. He hasn‘t even played in the Prem, yeah I get he is a good young player but I can't be the only one who thinks he is a bit overhyped. He hasn‘t even played in the Prem yet, for all we know, he might just be another overhyped Englishman, if he wasn't English, I don’t think he would get this much hype. Gomez is an England international, one of the best CB's in the league, White has plenty to go to be better than him.
  • El_Nino
    6402 posts Big Money Move
    Pietu wrote: »

Hold up. People are talking about White like he is some sort of a monster. He hasn‘t even played in the Prem, yeah I get he is a good young player but I can't be the only one who thinks he is a bit overhyped. He hasn‘t even played in the Prem yet, for all we know, he might just be another overhyped Englishman, if he wasn't English, I don’t think he would get this much hype. Gomez is an England international, one of the best CB's in the league, White has plenty to go to be better than him.

It’s ironic your saying White is overhyped due to being English while rating Gomez as one of the best in the league. I’ve watched a lot of Leeds this year, White looks like a fantastic talent, yes he’s unproven as he’s only played in the Championship, but I’d be surprised if he doesn’t have a very bright future.

I personally think Gomez is overrated, he has pace and is in a fantastic defence, you see him play more than me, so I respect your opinion, but he’s never looked better than average to me, personally don’t see him ever being a big player for a top club.

I’d you asked me who I’d sooner have at Chelsea, it’d be White.
  • Pietu
    7245 posts Big Money Move
    edited August 4

It’s ironic your saying White is overhyped due to being English while rating Gomez as one of the best in the league. I’ve watched a lot of Leeds this year, White looks like a fantastic talent, yes he’s unproven as he’s only played in the Championship, but I’d be surprised if he doesn’t have a very bright future.

I personally think Gomez is overrated, he has pace and is in a fantastic defence, you see him play more than me, so I respect your opinion, but he’s never looked better than average to me, personally don’t see him ever being a big player for a top club.

He probably has a bright future, I don’t doubt that but that's all he is right now while Gomez and Matip on the other hand have proven their quality. I might be overhyping Gomez but not by much, there's a reason why we have better stats with Gomez next to VVD than any other defender and he actually looked as good if not better than VVD at one point (not saying he is better than VVD because he isn't). For me he is England's best CB.

Don't know how these stats look now but goes to show how important he actually is.
  • Pxul_
    9703 posts League Winner
    Personally I’d prefer Kabak over White but that’s just me🤷‍♂️
  • LFC Simon 98
    20006 posts Club Captain
    Also much prefer the idea of Kabak to White
  • Wyojasond
    14888 posts Has That Special Something
    I’ve seen a fair amount of White and think he’s an amazing talent. Kabak seems to be rated even higher with most people I talk to so I certainly wouldn’t balk at that either 😂

There is a third option as well as Aissa Mandi from Real Betis has been linked a lot recently and would be about half the price of the other two 💁‍♂️
  • Snugglebites
    1910 posts Play-Off Hero
    I would prefer Kabak. Great defensively and can also play some nice football. Even has a nice long pass which Klopp will love. Hopefully, Wagner could get a reduced price for us. :)
  • Kellnerr
    3819 posts National Call-Up
    I would prefer Kabak. Great defensively and can also play some nice football. Even has a nice long pass which Klopp will love. Hopefully, Wagner could get a reduced price for us. :)

The fact that Schalke couldn't even get Schwolow for 8M shows that they desperately need the money. Make it happen!
  • Cyodine
    2708 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited August 4
    Bob_Dylan wrote: »
    The disrespect Gomez is getting time after time round these parts is ridiculous.

He's ridiculously good and getting better. Easily one of the most athletic CBs in the league. He's the perfect partner for VVD and when they play together, they simply bully attackers.

Now onto transfers!

I'm not sure we need to spend a lot of money on a CB that will be behind Matip in the pecking order. Matip has had some amazing seasons with us and has dominated, even keeping Gomez from starting at times. It wouldn't be fair to kick Matip to the bottom.

Lovren wasn't even that bad, he just didnt play much. There were times when he defended like a beast but he was prone to being rusty from lack of time and simply putting in questionable tackles. We should get a cheap older CB and let Sepp develop to replace Matip or rival Gomez or even partner him depending on how many years VVD might have left.

We've also had Fabinho and Hendo cover as CB and played that position very well.
  • Wyojasond
    I don’t think anyone in here is trying to knock Joe. We’ve all seen how good he can be. His issue will always be staying healthy.

Nothing wrong with wanting to bring in a couple of highly touted kids that can help push him and be heirs to VVD down the road (hopefully WAYYYYYY down the road 😂)
  • Argie8
    6309 posts Big Money Move
    Gomez went off the boil post-lockdown, but i have no doubt that he will be one of the best (if not the best) CBs in the league at his peak. He has absolutely everything you want in a CB. He's had 2 6 month periods where has been excellent. He just needs to keep fit and work on his concentration and he'll be world class imo
  • ChrisLFC
    7343 posts League Winner

I agree that Gomez is a bit overrated. He's still young and can improve but he's had some shocking performances since the restart. You could honestly make a case that Matip is our second best CB. If he was all that we wouldn't be looking at White/Kabak

Don't know how these stats look now but goes to show how important he actually is.

I think that is distorted by Gomez returning to the starting XI around the time Alisson returned in place of Adrian who is a far worse shot stopper than Ali.
  • Apollo
    20508 posts Club Captain
    If you haven't watched Ben White play, you can't really say whether he's overrated or not. The bloke is class, and whether he signs for you, stays at Brighton or goes somewhere else, will be absolutely fine in the PL. He's only going to get better.
  • Cyodine
    Argie8 wrote: »
    Gomez went off the boil post-lockdown, but i have no doubt that he will be one of the best (if not the best) CBs in the league at his peak. He has absolutely everything you want in a CB. He's had 2 6 month periods where has been excellent. He just needs to keep fit and work on his concentration and he'll be world class imo

It's crazy how good he is! I just love watching him chase down players with ease when he needs to. He'll be an absolute monster when he reaches his peak, I'd say easily VVD level because he has VVD to learn from. Like you said, if he stays fit and works on his concentration he'll be world class.
  • tilen11
    6190 posts Big Money Move
    Jurgen Klopp believes Jamal Lewis has great room for development. The player would relish contesting the role with Robertson. #lfc [@MelissaReddy_]
  • Ahmer50x
    24983 posts Player of the Year

Bizarre to say he's a Lovren replacement. :joy:

Reddy's story makes more sense but nonetheless point is the same
  • tilen11
    Im pretty sure that now after both Bascombe and Reddy comfirmed our interest, its just a matter of time.
  • tilen11

Well so far they've spent around 70m and bought Ferran Torres and Nathan Ake. With those 2, in all honesty they havent strenghten that much. We will see what else they buy but so far its nothing major.
  • Wyojasond
    Apparently Norwich are interested in Larouci so could help seal the deal as well.
  • Handy Andy
    6006 posts Big Money Move

Christ
  • tilen11
    Lampard said that further spending will have to be financed by selling the players. Saw their list of players they are prepared to offload.

Emerson, Kepa, Christensen, Zouma, Rudiger, Batshuayi, Willian, Barkley, Jorginho, Bakayoko, Alonso, Kante (for the right price).

Jesus.
  • Ahmer50x
    24983 posts Player of the Year
    tilen11 wrote: »
    Im pretty sure that now after both Bascombe and Reddy comfirmed our interest, its just a matter of time.

• Bob_Dylan
    21308 posts Club Captain
    I’m hyped.
  • tilen11
    Norwich want Larouci. It was reported earlier that a cash plus player deal might happen here.
  • Cyodine

He's cheap and replaces Lovren. He's also young and can develop with our team, He'll be perfect for what we need him for!
  • Bob_Dylan
    21308 posts Club Captain
    He doesn't replace Lovren though.
  • LFC Simon 98
    20006 posts Club Captain

Be willing to bet he’s a better CB than Lovren
  • Cyodine

I probably should've used a better word but he simply just fills the spot Lovren left. As far as if he starts or simply sits on the bench every match, I don't know. If he's competition for Gomez, then hopefully we'll two awesome partners for VVD.