Comments

• Argie8
    6255 posts Big Money Move
    Pietu wrote: »
    wth22 wrote: »
    Werner would be a 7-8 year signing, Thiago 2-3 years at best though

2-3 at best? Players don’t suddenly lose all of their abilities when they turn 30, this isn't Fifa. I'm thinking more like 4 years personally
    He's 29, 2-3 at a top level. Some players do lose all their ability at 30. Alexis for instance.

I don't expect Thiago (or anyone , ever) to that have that kind of decline but I wouldn't expect him to have more than 2 or 3 years at a top level.

Same kind of signing people would be giving someone like Jose stick for.

But he wouldn’t be expensive, reportedly about 35 mil. That's a good deal for him and would be an upgrade for our midfield.

yeah its a good deal. Still puzzling how we can back out from Werner due to financial restrictions though when it was a better deal long term
  • wth22
    11437 posts Has That Special Something

2-3 at best? Players don’t suddenly lose all of their abilities when they turn 30, this isn't Fifa. I'm thinking more like 4 years personally
    He's 29, 2-3 at a top level. Some players do lose all their ability at 30. Alexis for instance.

I don't expect Thiago (or anyone , ever) to that have that kind of decline but I wouldn't expect him to have more than 2 or 3 years at a top level.

But he wouldn’t be expensive, reportedly about 35 mil. That's a good deal for him and would be an upgrade for our midfield.

Not a bad deal for sure, but if I were you I'd have taken Werner for 50 than Thiago for 35.
  • Pietu
    6898 posts Big Money Move

Not a bad deal for sure, but if I were you I'd have taken Werner for 50 than Thiago for 35.

Ideally both :lol: just happy if we get one big name in tbf :)
  • LFC Simon 98
    19920 posts Club Captain
    There’s obviously some reason that us normal people don’t understand. Seems to be questions raised quite often with our transfers under Klopp but the vast majority work well.

Wages and play time were probably big factors.
  • LFC Simon 98
    19920 posts Club Captain
    edited July 4
    G000ner wrote: »
    Doesn't make sense at all why you backed out of Werner. Nor does it make sense that you're running low on funds considering you spent nothing last summer and your revenue is huge. Thiago would be a great signing though, would do wonders to your midfield

That not really the full story. And if you look at how transfers in football work you completely understand it. For example, we are still paying large sums each year for VVD, Alisson, Fabinho and Keita. As in football usually it works as (for example) VVD was a £75mil signing on a 5 year deal but that actually is then done as £15mil over 5 years. Add in all our 30-40mil players like Ox and you realise we’re still paying out over £50mil a year on transfers.

Then spending £90mil in facilities. And once you bring in wages and bonuses we really aren’t that profitable. Obviously loads of other things that we make revenue from and it’s going up each year but not as considerably as everyone thinks
  • Wyojasond
    14391 posts Has That Special Something
    I’m not a fan of the deal to be honest. It does seem like a bit of a moneyball move though by FSG so hopefully it pans out.
  • Argie8
    6255 posts Big Money Move
    G000ner wrote: »
    Doesn't make sense at all why you backed out of Werner. Nor does it make sense that you're running low on funds considering you spent nothing last summer and your revenue is huge. Thiago would be a great signing though, would do wonders to your midfield

That not really the full story. And if you look at how transfers in football work you completely understand it. For example, we are still paying large sums each year for VVD, Alisson, Fabinho and Keita. As in football usually it works as (for example) VVD was a £75mil signing on a 5 year deal but that actually is then done as £15mil over 5 years. Add in all our 30-40mil players like Ox and you realise we’re still paying out over £50mil a year on transfers.

Then spending £90mil in facilities. And once you bring in wages and bonuses we really aren’t that profitable. Obviously loads of other things that we make revenue from and it’s going up each year but not as considerably as everyone thinks

i understand your point about outgoings on players and how they are paid but this is the norm in football for all football clubs and their deals, like yes, we're spending around 50 mil a year on previous transfers but we're also getting sale revenue each year from clubs for outgoings. And if we did buy Werner for around 45mil that would have been paid in installments like every other deal, so around 9mil a year. The fact is that we won't have made a major signing for 2 summers in a row despite huge levels of success. Our net spend under Klopp is very low so it can't be a case of us being too poor to buy players. There has to be more to it that we're not being told
  • El_Nino
    5711 posts Big Money Move
    Baffling move to add another 28+ YO to your squad after turning down Werner, he’s a good player and will improve you, definitely a good move for right now, but you seem to have a limited budget, and I really don’t think this is the right way to spend it if your thinking long term/big picture.

I almost wonder if your aim is to get as much from Thai ‘golden generation’ as possible, and just accept the decline in 3 or so years time.
  • LFC Simon 98
    19920 posts Club Captain
    Like I said I’m sure there is some reason

Rhian Brewster might be apart of it. Scored again for Swansea today. 8 in 12 starts now I think
  • Wyojasond
    Like I said I’m sure there is some reason

Rhian Brewster might be apart of it. Scored again for Swansea today. 8 in 12 starts now I think

^^^This. Klopp has always been high on Brewster and now he’s starting to show what he can do. I really hope the kid gets a chance next season.
  • Wyojasond
    I read a really good article the other day about players we were so close to signing but then at the last second decided against it. Texiera and Fekir, were a couple that I could remember.

Again the Werner deal sucks, and I hate that he’s going to Chelsea but until FSG start bombing there recruitment and moves I have no reason to doubt them. Even if I don’t exactly agree with this move 😂
  • Pietu
    edited July 5
  • Wyojasond
    Keita, ox and Origi 😯

Kind of like the setup actually.
  • Cyodine
    2425 posts Fans' Favourite
    Keita, ox and Origi 😯

Kind of like the setup actually.

Yeah! Hopefully we can put up some good numbers. I'm thinking 5-0.
  • Snugglebites
    1725 posts Play-Off Hero
    I think these last few weeks will be Keita's last chance.
  • Pietu
    REINA PLAYS!!!
  • Bob_Dylan
    20872 posts Club Captain
    That’s a pen...
  • Pietu
    Bob_Dylan wrote: »
    That’s a pen...

Yep, but LiVaRpOoL. Refs never give Salah anything
  • ViVaWhom
    8953 posts League Winner
    was never a pen, threw himself to the ground as always
  • Snugglebites
    1725 posts Play-Off Hero
    Bob_Dylan wrote: »
    That’s a pen...

Never.
  • Pietu
    ViVaWhom wrote: »
    was never a pen, threw himself to the ground as always

You know why he sometimes throws himself to the ground? Because he has to, otherwise the refs don’t give anything so he throws himself to the ground to get the right call and that's because the refs are bad. If he wouldn’t do anything, he wouldn’t get anything so he sometimes has to exaggerate the contact to get the call even though he shouldn't have to do that to get the call. Salah gets fouled often but the refs let the play continue, that's not Salah being a diver, that's refs being bad and ignoring the obvious fouls.
  • Wyojasond
    Our passing has been ❤️❤️❤️❤️ poor again today. Was hoping we’d see us attack the middle a bit more with Keita and Ox but just nothing there. Credit to Villa though too. They have setup very well defensively so far.
  • LFC Simon 98
    19920 posts Club Captain
    Keita always gets me so hyped and then games like today happen and he may aswell not be on the pitch
  • Littleland95
    17744 posts Moderator
    Zero shots for Liverpool in half an hour against the worst defence in the Premier League.

They need to wake up. The party is over.
  • Pietu
    Seems like Douglas Luiz has watched United and tried to replicate their dives
  • Snugglebites
    1725 posts Play-Off Hero
    This is why we need Thiago.
  • Stlducks
    2224 posts Fans' Favourite

You just walked the league in a style not seen in a very long time. Liverpool does not need Thiago to win the league, they just need to refocus after their party. It has to be hard trying to focus with the goal already completed.
  • Ahmer50x
    23658 posts Club Captain
    Stlducks wrote: »

You just walked the league in a style not seen in a very long time. Liverpool does not need Thiago to win the league, they just need to refocus after their party. It has to be hard trying to focus with the goal already completed.

“Style not seen in a long time”

City 17-18 was very similar mate.
  • Wyojasond
    Ahmer50x wrote: »

To be fair there was no team in the league coming close to that City team that year. Don’t think it can be discounted being this far ahead of that same City team 💁‍♂️
  • Stlducks
    2224 posts Fans' Favourite
    Ahmer50x wrote: »

I meant with how easy it was, not by the way Liverpool play. The league was wrapped up earlier this year than in a very long time. Isn't this also the earliest a team has won the title?