Liverpool Football Club

Comments

• Wyojasond
    14153 posts Has That Special Something
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    Just to be clear, I wanted to see where he stood in the pantheon of captains. That's why I asked about how historic he was as a leader.

I know Gerrard was levels better as a player, hence why I mentioned it myself.

His presence is obviously huge. You look at this Liverpool team and you could give the captains band to sooooo many players. The fact he carries it I think speaks volumes. Let’s not forget the one game he missed this year is also the only league loss we have 💁‍♂️

To fully answer your question.....for me he’s a better captain. Not by much though.
  • Bob_Dylan
    20695 posts Club Captain
    As much as I love Henderson Gerrard was levels above him not only as a player but also as a captain. Silly discussion really.
  • ViVaWhom
    8736 posts League Winner
    Just to be clear, I wanted to see where he stood in the pantheon of captains. That's why I asked about how historic he was as a leader.

His presence is obviously huge. You look at this Liverpool team and you could give the captains band to sooooo many players. The fact he carries it I think speaks volumes. Let’s not forget the one game he missed this year is also the only league loss we have 💁‍♂️

To fully answer your question.....for me he’s a better captain. Not by much though.

is that the only game he missed? or are you trying to read into a coincidence too much
  • LFC Simon 98
    19683 posts World Class
    Apollo wrote: »
    Henderson will be remembered for what he is. A decent player in a great team.

Or we can do what United fans do with Scholes and wait till he retires and then pretend he was world class his whole career

Wow :D

Was expecting much more bites. Disappointed
  • LFC Simon 98
    19683 posts World Class
    ViVaWhom wrote: »

is that the only game he missed? or are you trying to read into a coincidence too much

He missed both Atletico games, Watford and then Bournemouth and West Ham where we struggled greatly.
  • ViVaWhom
    8736 posts League Winner
    edited June 27

He missed both Atletico games, Watford and then Bournemouth and West Ham where we struggled greatly.

you struggled in alot of games tbh
  • Pietu
    6575 posts Big Money Move
    Apollo wrote: »

Or we can do what United fans do with Scholes and wait till he retires and then pretend he was world class his whole career

Wow :D

Was expecting much more bites. Disappointed

No one bit because everyone knows it's true :trollface:
  • BrentfordFC
    13414 posts Has That Special Something

:joy:

@Keano :trollface:
  • Pxul_
    9366 posts League Winner

• LFC Simon 98
    19683 posts World Class
    edited June 27

Name them. Cause a lot I see people mention are games we completely dominated but didnt get the winner till late on. (Eg Leicester 17 shots to 2 but everyone says we got lucky with a pen) or spurs at Anfield which was 22 shots with 14 on target to 11 shots with 4 on target etc. The list goes on
  • Keano
    16410 posts World Class
    edited June 27

:joy:

@Keano :trollface:
    @BrentfordFC

giphy.gif

Simon logging into red cafe after City's loss when he should be celebrating a league title.

Edit - Congrats on the title, it was well deserved, hopefully the competition in City, Chelsea, United etc come back stronger next season.
  • Bob_Dylan
    20695 posts Club Captain

Name them. Cause a lot I see people mention are games we completely dominated but didnt get the winner till late on. (Eg Leicester 17 shots to 2 but everyone says we got lucky with a pen) or spurs at Anfield which was 22 shots with 14 on target to 11 shots with 4 on target etc. The list goes on

I got a feeling he meant those types of games
  • ViVaWhom
    8736 posts League Winner
    edited June 27

saints away
    wolves both times
    spurs away
    brighton
    palaca away
    sheff utd away
    chelsea away

and according to your criteria (based on shots) you dint struggle against west ham or bournemouth... so make your mind up
  • ViVaWhom
    8736 posts League Winner
    edited June 27
    These were the only results I can find where you can be said to be remotely "lucky" by xG:

Southampton 2.14 - 1.52 Liverpool
    Chelsea 1.23-1.03 Liverpool
    Liverpool 1.33-1.48 Man City
    Wolves 1.85-1.59 Liverpool

Shaves maybe 9 points off your lead but you'd still be runaway champions. The idea that Liverpool have struggled all season and gotten lucky is a joke.

thats not what the discussion is about at all... it was based on the impact Henderson has

EDIT: and henderson played in all those games i believe, so thx for proving my point @Ahmer50x
  • Keano
    16410 posts World Class
    These were the only results I can find where you can be said to be remotely "lucky" by xG:

Southampton 2.14 - 1.52 Liverpool
    Chelsea 1.23-1.03 Liverpool
    Liverpool 1.33-1.48 Man City
    Wolves 1.85-1.59 Liverpool

Shaves maybe 9 points off your lead but you'd still be runaway champions. The idea that Liverpool have struggled all season and gotten lucky is a joke.

xG is a good stat for the general most part, I do believe they struggled/had problems in mor games than just those honestly, as much as xG is helpful, sometimes using your eyes & judging the game by how that goes can be more useful, they deserved the title, i don;t think anyone can begrudge that, butthere isn't just four games that they were matched in the season imo... cba actually finding them though.
  • Tornado31619
    21124 posts Club Captain
    They struggled against us. Sure, our goal shouldn’t have stood, but we had a quite a few shots IIRC.
  • LFC Simon 98
    19683 posts World Class
    I think what most people miss is yes you may find 8-10 games we struggled in. But we still won 5-7 of those games.

90% of other seasons where the league winners struggle in 8-10 games they’ll win 2-3 of them and drop points in the rest.

It’s just City and ourselves have set ridiculous standards past couple years and people forget just how good these teams are right now.
  • Argie8
    6237 posts Big Money Move
    We weren't great in a lot of games this season but we got the results and won the league. Who cares if we were absolutely amazing and the best team ever? Couldnt care less personally
  • Argie8
    Also, I asked this question a year ago and I'll ask it again. Who in our current squad has reached legend status at the club??

I'd say:
    Alisson
    Robertson
    VVD
    Trent
    Hendo
    Mane
    Bobby
    Salah

I'd be interested to see if Fabinho is there for people yet. I'd probably have him at the Liverpool hero status with Gini, Matip, Gomez, Milner, and Origi
  • Snugglebites
    1626 posts Play-Off Hero
    Right now, VVD and Salah. I don't think Henderson should be there but he probably is for the fact he's been here since the start of all this. The rest will be there easily if things carry on for a few more years.
  • El_Nino
    5346 posts Big Money Move
    As an outsiders opinion; I’d probably say VVD/Salah, next closest being Mane/Bobby, TAA/Robertson/Allison need to do more imo to be considered legends(they probably will)

Henderson is a Micheal Carrick/Darren Fletcher esque player, good player in a great team, he will be remembered fondly im sure; but shouldn’t be anywhere near legend status imo, just because his ability isn’t there.
  • Argie8
    edited June 28
    i think winning the champions league, going a year without losing in the league (whilst being the best team in the world) and then winning our first premier league title cements legend status for a lot of them tbh. Our club hasnt seen this level of success in over 30 years. I'd also consider Torres, Suarez, Alonso, and Reina legends for reference
  • Pxul_
    9366 posts League Winner
    Guys, you’re clearly forgetting a legend at the club...

Corner taken quickly...
  • Cyodine
    2360 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited June 28
    Hendo isn't better than Gerrard in terms of quality, none of our midfield is. Gerrard would walk into our midfield in his prime. Hendo is a legend for leading us to a CL final, a CL trophy, and now the league. He is a legend in his own way and that's what makes him great.
    Post edited by Cyodine on
  • tilen11
    5925 posts Big Money Move
    Judging by the amount of new posts I have, someone made Viva nervous. Just a guess
  • LFC Simon 98
    19683 posts World Class
    If the criteria for becoming a legend is overtaking Gerrard then we not gonna have any for a long time
  • Tornado31619
    21124 posts Club Captain
    Pxul_ wrote: »
    Guys, you’re clearly forgetting a legend at the club...

Corner taken quickly...

Agreed, I guess he’s kind of your Ole now
  • Kellnerr
    3548 posts National Call-Up
    The ideal solution would be Lovren + cash for White. Never going to happen though, because Lovren thinks he's too good for Brighton and will want to play at a better club. That's only possible abroad I'd say and I can't see us getting more than 15M euros for him in that case. Leaves us with quite much left to pay for White, but I still hope we are going for him.