The Ligue 1 POTM SBC has temporarily taken down & will return at a later time, updates to follow today PST on this FIFA Direct twitter thread. Forum thread discussing the issue is here.

Liverpool Football Club

Comments

• Pugzilla
    17007 posts World Class
    Apollo wrote: »
    As fans, what's your view on your chances now? Are you allowing yourselves to think that it's all but done now that City have fallen away or are you trying to play it down in case of something going wrong? :sweat_smile:

I’m playing it down until Hendo has the trophy over his head. I support teams here in Minnesota that are known for monumental failures so I take nothing for granted. In my life I’ve seen so many amazing teams win nothing.

• Kellnerr
    3006 posts National Call-Up
    As fans, what's your view on your chances now? Are you allowing yourselves to think that it's all but done now that City have fallen away or are you trying to play it down in case of something going wrong? :sweat_smile:

I still see City as our biggest rival this season. I mean they just showed last year that they can go on a huge win streak and we will definitely drop a couple of points, not going to end 37-1-0 that should be clear.
  • SDoofus
    6430 posts Big Money Move
    Pugzilla wrote: »
    Looking across Europe for the CL knockouts, assuming we handle our business, who do you want to avoid?

For some reason I want to avoid PSG. I’d be ok facing Bayern or Barca, along with any Italian team.

Speaking of Europe, just a quick reminder to people that we play at 5:55pm tomorrow, not the usual 8pm. I didn't realise until a friend told me a few minutes ago, so I defo could have been caught out if I wasn't prepared.

After witnessing 2013/14, 2007/08 and 2018/19, I refuse to accept it's over until it is over.

This is by far the most comfortable one, but you just never know.
  • Kellnerr
    I'm so annoyed that I didn't get any tickets for tomorrow's game. Thought we would have been comfortably in first place and already qualified for the next round by that time and lining up a B team :sweat_smile:
    Would have been just like 2 hours to Salzburg :(
  • LFC Simon 98
    18696 posts World Class

I will now accept we are in a very strong position. But nothing is settled obviously. After Boxing Day it could be a monstrous gap. And then I would be saying if we don’t win the league I’d be shocked. Still too much to play for yet
  • Pxul_
    8660 posts League Winner
    I think the best thing for us to win the league is to be knocked out of the CL. However, I personally think we can win them both.
  • SDoofus
    Pxul_ wrote: »
    I think the best thing for us to win the league is to be knocked out of the CL. However, I personally think we can win them both.

Going into the EL would hurt us more than staying in the CL, imo.
  • Pxul_
    8660 posts League Winner
    Oh we’re gonna top our group I meant later on in the tournament.
  • Wyojasond
    12711 posts Has That Special Something

Still way way to early to say it’s over for me. If we’re this far ahead with say 8-10 games then maybe I start feeling a bit better, but still so many games to be played. January has notoriously been our drop off month so I’ll wait for that 😂
  • Snugglebites
    1392 posts Professional
    Won't be surprised if Napoli loses to Genk tomorrow. They're in a mess right now and don't even look bothered about any game. Check out their "counter-attack" from this weekend.

• Littleland95
    17270 posts Moderator

Leicester are very close and a long way to go. Hopeful for top 5 at least.
  • Kellnerr
    Won't be surprised if Napoli loses to Genk tomorrow. They're in a mess right now and don't even look bothered about any game. Check out their "counter-attack" from this weekend.

The same was said about the game between us and them.
  • Wyojasond
    For what it’s worth, looks like Duncan has mainly stayed in the U-19 team at Fiorentina as well. Not seeing any main team stats 💁‍♂️

• LFC Simon 98
    18696 posts World Class
    His agent may have ruined his career unfortunately
  • Flapjack
    7044 posts Big Money Move
    edited December 2019

Well, as a Liverpool fan, you know to never unclench till its all over.

The feeling I have right now is that of when you are in a final and your team goes 3-0 up at half time.

You feel like its a matter of minutes before the trophys in the bag but give away an early pen second half and you start looking at your watch nervously. However, slot in a 4th early second half and you can start popping the champagne.

Basically its still way too early to start celebrating. If Leicester beat us at their ground, we might start checking the watch but we beat them and I personally think it would be the least clenched I would ever be in my time as a Liverpool fan.
  • Snugglebites
    1392 posts Professional
    Kellnerr wrote: »

The same was said about the game between us and them.

They were terrible at Anfield but so were we.
  • tilen11
    5695 posts Big Money Move

Far from over. Ive never been so excited but its still a long way to go BUT I believe we should be able to finally take the title. We had +7 on New Year' day last season. This year it could be even more points clear from the 2nd place.

However City can turn things around, they proved so last year but Id say chances are small considering their defensive problems are massive. Laporte is out till March and all other defenders are in terrible form. Ill say the same for Leicester as I did for Chelsea. They will have a though period at some point.

I only see 2 ways in which we dont get the title. Either we suffer numerous massive injuries (Van Dijk, Mane/Salah, Fabinho combined) meaning we dont have that many suitable replacements OR we totally fall apart, like Arsenal for example. Injuries are ofc a possibility but cant see us falling apart.
  • Wyojasond
    Here’s a question for everyone.......

Say we do crash out of the CL tomorrow (I’m a little nervous, wont lie) but we end up running away with the league, maybe even win another trophy to go with it. Still a massively successful season for you, or is it a bit of a letdown?

I know so many of us want the league, but crashing out of the CL in the group stage would be devastating to me. No matter what else happens this year 🤷‍♂️
  • Pietu
    4712 posts National Call-Up

Say we do crash out of the CL tomorrow (I’m a little nervous, wont lie) but we end up running away with the league, maybe even win another trophy to go with it. Still a massively successful season for you, or is it a bit of a letdown?

I know so many of us want the league, but crashing out of the CL in the group stage would be devastating to me. No matter what else happens this year 🤷‍♂️

That would never be a let down to me unless I'm a City fan
  • SDoofus
    edited December 2019

Winning our first PL title could never be a let down. We could crash out of CL, crash out of EL after that, crash out of the FA Cup and EFL Cup, fail to win the CWC and I would still be over the moon.

Edit: to put it into perspective, when was the last time a team won a PL and a CL within 2 seasons?
  • LFC Simon 98
    18696 posts World Class

We could lose every game 6-0 in every competition except the league and I wouldn’t care one bit if it gave us a league title.

I would rather forfeit every other cup to ensure a league. After we get 1 we can start thinking about doing doubles and trebles but until then I don’t care one bit.
  • Argie8
    6087 posts Big Money Move
    yeah literally nothing else matters if we win the league imo
  • Tornado31619
    18990 posts World Class
    Honest question, are you worried about Leicester? I’d obviously like Leicester to beat you, but I reckon you’ll get a point.
  • Kellnerr
    Honest question, are you worried about Leicester? I’d obviously like Leicester to beat you, but I reckon you’ll get a point.

no
  • Wyojasond

I have a feeling they’ll actually get us honestly. All the travel will catch up with us I think.

That being said, I still think they’ll find a 3-5 game stretch where they drop a lot of points so it is what is 🤷‍♂️
  • LFC Simon 98
    18696 posts World Class

Not at the minute. Say our ‘wheels fall off’ and we draw 1 and lose 2. Over this period. They will then be level with us (provided they win all their games, which i don’t see happening). So I personally am not worried yet as I don’t think even if they get back to a level playing field they won’t have the ability to grind out wins as well as we can.
  • SDoofus
    Can you imagine how good we could have been if Keita and Ox didn't get their injuries?

Mane - Firmino - Salah
    Keita - AOC
    Fabinho
    Robertson - VVD - Matip - TAA
    Alisson

The potential of that team is unreal.

We already know how good that front 3 and the back 5 are, but a midfield consisting of:

Fabinho: destroyer, as well as a deep lying playmaker
    Keita: Silky creative player who can also tackle and intercept impressively
    AOC: Direct, rapid cannonball into the heart of the opposition.
  • Pxul_
    8660 posts League Winner
    Throw Gomez in there aswell
  • Pietu
    4712 posts National Call-Up
    Pxul_ wrote: »
    Throw Gomez in there aswell

This. VVD Gomez defense last season was better than VVD Matip but Matip is also good.