Liverpool Football Club

Comments

• Pietu
    7196 posts Big Money Move
    SDoofus wrote: »
    Mane is more replaceable, imo.

An elite left footed RW is rarer, and harder to replace.

I see Mane as someone who is more likely to leave, for some reason, not that I think it's very likely for either of them to leave any time soon, due to our status in the game currently, and the fact they're both on very long contracts and likely to cost just under £200m each.

Slightly off topic, but does anyone else have this stupid optimism that we've been playing the long game with Mbappe? No expenditure on signings this summer just gone and signing with Nike, etc. I can honestly see Liverpool being a place he would like to give a go, especially if we do really well again this year.

If that were to happen, then I can see Mane going.

#Mbappe2020
  • SDoofus
    6430 posts Big Money Move
    edited October 2019
    Imagine he came in and we didn't even sell Mane/Salah.

Mbappe
    Mane - Firmino - Salah
    Fabinho - Keita/Wijnaldum
    Robertson - VVD - Matip - TAA
    Alisson

:D
  • Apollo
    20414 posts Club Captain

Mbappe
    Mane - Firmino - Salah
    Alisson

I know you said imagine but you may be getting a tad carried away there ;)
  • SDoofus
    In other news, it's Klopp's 4th anniversary today.
  • SDoofus
    Apollo wrote: »

Mbappe
    Mane - Firmino - Salah
    Alisson

I know you said imagine but you may be getting a tad carried away there ;)

Just got this nagging feeling that we are gonna do a madness.
  • Pugzilla
    17329 posts World Class
    Viva La Mbappe
  • ChrisLFC
    7343 posts League Winner
    edited October 2019
    Top 5 Mane goals for me:

4-3 against City where he smashes it top corner form the edge of the box.
    Chip vs Bayern
    Arsenal goal where he cuts in from the left and curls it far post
    Backheel vs Watford
    CL final equaliser
  • Argie8
    6295 posts Big Money Move
    Klopp was willing to break our transfer record for mbappe, apparently.

Obviously it would be a dream signing
  • Wyojasond
    14786 posts Has That Special Something
    Honestly can’t see Mbappe going anywhere but Spain. FSG have been trying to lay the groundwork for a lot of other big things lately though so I don’t think it’s outside the realm of possibility.

Favorite Mane goal has to be the Bayern one. Just take the time to watch it a few times and it still amazes me how he brought that ball down, and then chipped Neuer 😎
  • Kellnerr
    3762 posts National Call-Up

Mbappe
    Mane - Firmino - Salah
    Alisson

And Son on the bench :sunglasses:
  • tilen11
    6162 posts Big Money Move
    edited October 2019
    ESPN:
    Alisson is working out individually with John Achterberg in Melwood in order to be prepared for United. He trained already with the first team but is also doing extra sessions alone. Players not with their international teams have a "week off".
    Lallana and Oxlade-Chamberlain volunteered for training sessions during the international break since they want to be fully prepared. Klopp won't start with Alisson if he is not at 100%.
  • Pxul_
    9626 posts League Winner
    What are people’s opinion in TAA being moved in to central midfield?

Seen a few articles mentioning it, just the fact that we have no cover at rb (Hoever is too young, Gomez is a CB and Clyne is injured). If Milner would be used to move him there I think I’d die😂 (no exaggeration)
  • SDoofus
    Pxul_ wrote: »
    What are people’s opinion in TAA being moved in to central midfield?

Seen a few articles mentioning it, just the fact that we have no cover at rb (Hoever is too young, Gomez is a CB and Clyne is injured). If Milner would be used to move him there I think I’d die😂 (no exaggeration)

Don’t think it’ll happen any time soon, tbh. And tbf, in Klopp’s system, TAA gets forward just as much, if not more than he would do in CM anyway. I do wonder how he feels about it personally, and whether he would prefer having less of a defensive responsibility.
  • arsenalap
    8401 posts League Winner
    I read the articles, was more or a long term plan it sounded like maybe than short term?
  • Pxul_
    9626 posts League Winner
    It was described a long term plan that could be implemented anytime. If we had another prospect like TAA coming through the ranks at full back it could be useful for their development.
  • Flapjack
    7060 posts Big Money Move
    edited October 2019
    From the beginning of last season, to right now:

Mane:
    Goals: 34 (including the 2 from Super Cup win)
    Assists: 3

Salah:
    Goals: 33
    Assists: 13

I do wonder if Mane genuinely lacks creativity, or whether this is by tactical design, as his assist numbers are shocking for his position.

I think he just happens to be the guy on the end of most moves which is due to his movement off the ball. It’s incredible how many headed goals a guy of his stature gets.
    That said I think Salah and Firmino have a better eye for a pass. You look at his assist to Mane vs Bayern or the one vs Cardiff and that’s something you’d expect from a player like De Bruyne.
    tilen11 wrote: »
    ESPN:
    Alisson is working out individually with John Achterberg in Melwood in order to be prepared for United. He trained already with the first team but is also doing extra sessions alone. Players not with their international teams have a "week off".
    Lallana and Oxlade-Chamberlain volunteered for training sessions during the international break since they want to be fully prepared. Klopp won't start with Alisson if he is not at 100%.

As much I’d love Becker back in goal, Adrian has been superb so I really hope he’s not rushed back.
  • Flapjack
    Pxul_ wrote: »
    It was described a long term plan that could be implemented anytime. If we had another prospect like TAA coming through the ranks at full back it could be useful for their development.

I’m sure the manager will know best but I personally don’t see the logic of bringing Trent into this midfield. With the way we play, it’s the full backs who join the front 3 in attack which is why if you look at our goals and assists, Robbo and Trent got like double the assists our midfielders got.
    Also, I think it would be a lot easier to upgrade on Hendo, Gini and Milner in midfield than it would Trent at RB. Can’t really knock them cos we’re winning so clearly something is working but someone posted Gini and Hendos xGs aNd xAs this season and they are absolutely shocking. Keep hoping we get some creative
    mids but if it ain’t broke don’t fix it I guess.
  • Snugglebites
    1879 posts Play-Off Hero
    TAA going to midfield means one thing. Kimmich added to the 2020 list.

Mbappe, Havertz & Kimmich.
  • Argie8
    6295 posts Big Money Move
    TAA could be an elite RB. Don't see the point in moving to CM where he would probably be just another decent CM
  • ChrisLFC
    7343 posts League Winner
    Where has all the move Trent to midfield talk came from? Has Klopp discussed it at some point?
  • ViVaWhom
    9235 posts League Winner
    Argie8 wrote: »
    TAA could be an elite RB. Don't see the point in moving to CM where he would probably be just another decent CM

i think its more because he is a terrible defender than him offering more in CM
  • Wyojasond
    14786 posts Has That Special Something
    He’s originally a midfielder I believe. Last year I was all for it as I thought he was too lacking defensively.

The more I watch him and the way he has grown lately I can’t see him in midfield anymore personally. He is only 21 so plenty of time to decide.

Gomez to RB with him staying back more with Matip and VVD, allowing Robertson and TAA to play more as true wingbacks? 🤔
  • Sercs
    19191 posts World Class
    He’s originally a midfielder I believe. Last year I was all for it as I thought he was too lacking defensively.

The more I watch him and the way he has grown lately I can’t see him in midfield anymore personally. He is only 21 so plenty of time to decide.

Gomez to RB with him staying back more with Matip and VVD, allowing Robertson and TAA to play more as true wingbacks? 🤔

Yeah he was a CM by trade, moved to RB by Klopp.

Loads of players move down the pitch simply because they're better there than their favourite position. Carragher, Neville heck most RB/LBs usually are converted wingers.

AWB was a winger up until Hodgeson saw how good he was at tackling last pre season.. then promoted and suddenly hes at United.

He may not be as good playing centrally given the amount of room and time he has for delivery and passing from the RB area.

Equally I dont really see any RB in the world giving the same kind of returns Trent did last year and going forward.
  • Tornado31619
    22246 posts Club Captain
    ChrisLFC wrote: »
    Where has all the move Trent to midfield talk came from? Has Klopp discussed it at some point?

England fans have.
  • El_Nino
    6335 posts Big Money Move
    TAA in midfield makes sense to cover his defensive issues, but equally even with his defensive issues he’s still a very good RB and has so so much time to improve defensively. I wouldn’t want him moved if I were a Liverpool fan tbh.
  • tilen11
    6162 posts Big Money Move
    He isnt that bad at defending. Last season I do agree he wasnt the greatest but far from bad. Moving him wouldnt be a wise decision.
    How our 2 fullbacks play is essential for our attack and whenever Gomez plays there is not the same and is clearly visible. It wouldnt be easy to replace TAA at RB so imo he must stay there.
  • Flapjack
    edited October 2019
    The Trent being defensively weak line seems like a lazy one people just like to bring up because they remember that one time he got done by Rashford, not because they actually watch him defend. That was 2 years ago, about 3 games?into his start at RB with the senior team. Since then he’s improved massively defensively. Even in that same season he kept Sane quiet in both CL ties and has since dealt with the likes of Neymar, Ribery and Ronaldo in the CL just fine.
    He’s the weakest defensively of the back 4 so he gets targeted but I’d really like to be pointed to a game where he’s been done/ struggled to cope with his man cos I struggle to think of any tbh.
  • arsenalap
    8401 posts League Winner
    Flapjack wrote: »
    The Trent being defensively weak line seems like a lazy one people just like to bring up because they remember that one time he got done by Rashford, not because they actually watch him defend. That was 2 years ago, about 3 games?into his start at RB with the senior team. Since then he’s improved massively defensively. Even in that same season he kept Sane quiet in both CL ties and has since dealt with the likes of Neymar, Ribery and Ronaldo in the CL just fine.
    He’s the weakest defensively of the back 4 so he gets targeted but I’d really like to be pointed to a game where he’s been done/ struggled to cope with his man cos I struggle to think of any tbh.

I cant tell you which one it was this season because I cant remember, but there was one where he was getting targeted big time and looked dodgy.
  • Tornado31619
    22246 posts Club Captain
    Didn’t he struggle against Mendez-Laing?