17220 posts World Class
    ViVaWhom wrote: »
    Adrian made one mistake, it hasnt been a huge difference

He can’t kick the ball. Makes a massive difference
  • SDoofus
    5045 posts Big Money Move
    ViVaWhom wrote: »
    Adrian made one mistake, it hasnt been a huge difference

Imo, Alisson stops Norwich's goal, as Adrian stepped way too far to the left and left the right side of the goal open. He also stops Arsenal's goal, imo. I am not sure if he stops Newcastle's one.

It's not just that though. Alisson has such a commanding presence and is extremely vocal with his defenders, which helps massively.
  • Kellnerr
    2571 posts Fans' Favourite
    Ings and Aubameyang are already 2 mistakes, plus he let in a couple of saveable shots tbh.
  • ChrisLFC
    7091 posts Big Money Move
    TakeItSlow wrote: »
    So IF we win tomorrow we go level with City, are we in the title race?

• SDoofus
    edited September 15
    Anyone else not expecting a great result at Napoli? Just seems like an awful place to go. We were so bad there last season.

Thankfully we should be through to the knock out stages by the time we play them again, at Anfield.
  • Wyojasond
    11551 posts Has That Special Something
    SDoofus wrote: »
    Anyone else not expecting a great result at Napoli? Just seems like an awful place to go. We were so bad there last season.

Thankfully we should be through to the group stages by the time we play them again, at Anfield.

Would be great to kick our road demons from last year 😂 I’m expecting a pretty boring 1-0 game to be honest. Could go either way.
  • Argie8
    5816 posts Big Money Move

Thankfully we should be through to the knock out stages by the time we play them again, at Anfield.

depends on what midfield we play imo

cant be going brexit midfield again

• Wyojasond
    11551 posts Has That Special Something
    edited September 15
    That link @Tornado31619 posted in the United thread about the old general discussion had some interesting reading when you went back a few pages (ignoring all the worthless posts of course)

Saw quite a few posts about how disappointed people were with the Salah and Robertson signings 😂😂 Oh how the times have changed
  • LFC Simon 98
    17220 posts World Class
    Go back 2 months and you’ll see people complaining all about our window and saying we’ve no chance of challenging City tbf
  • Flapjack
    6948 posts Big Money Move
    Howdy felllas! Great to be back!

Some start to the season!

- Front 3 still doing front 3 things.
    - Defence maybe not as good but still the least goals conceded in the league so not too bad either.
    - 5 clear of City after 5 games. A surprise to be sure but a welcome one. Pep calling himself Fraudiola on twitter is just the icing on the cake.
    - Next 2 games - Napoli and Chelsea away - will definitely be hoping for better results than last season. Napoli especially. That was probably the worst we played all of last season. They've already been involved in 2 4-3 games this season so there should be goals for sure.
    - Naby and Alisson expected to return to first team training by the end of the week apparently. Great news.
  • SDoofus
    Flapjack wrote: »

- Defence maybe not as good but still the least goals conceded in the league so not too bad either.
    - 5 clear of City after 5 games. A surprise to be sure but a welcome one. Pep calling himself Fraudiola on twitter is just the icing on the cake.
    - Next 2 games - Napoli and Chelsea away - will definitely be hoping for better results than last season. Napoli especially. That was probably the worst we played all of last season. They've already been involved in 2 4-3 games this season so there should be goals for sure.
    - Naby and Alisson expected to return to first team training by the end of the week apparently. Great news.

Welcome back.

I think this (bolded) has been overstated a little bit amongst fans. According to a like for like fixture comparison, our defence has remained exactly the same so far this season, but our attack has been slightly worse.

2mrvvsdj4sm31.png

We've conceded the same amount of goals (4) as in the corresponding fixtures last season.
  • Kellnerr
    2571 posts Fans' Favourite
    Welcome back :)
  • Flapjack
    Go back 2 months and you’ll see people complaining all about our window and saying we’ve no chance of challenging City tbf

I think the main issue is, and the fear still remains, that we have our worst spells every January/February under Klopp and this is always a direct result of fixture congestion and injuries. This year we'll have even more games with the Club World Cup.
    We've been lucky with injuries (relatively speaking) but the drop in quality from our first 11 (front 3 in particular) is so bad compared to City's.
  • SDoofus
    edited September 16

I think the main issue is, and the fear still remains, that we have our worst spells every January/February under Klopp and this is always a direct result of fixture congestion and injuries. This year we'll have even more games with the Club World Cup.
    We've been lucky with injuries (relatively speaking) but the drop in quality from our first 11 (front 3 in particular) is so bad compared to City's.

Looks like that's being countered this season, by their abysmal defence.

What were they thinking, letting Kompany go without bringing in a replacement? Otamendi is awful and Stones is above average at best, whilst being injury prone. It's going to get very interesting. I've noticed City don't react well to losses or conceding goals. Pep having a meltdown, calling himself Fraudiola was hilarious and makes him seem demented. I feel like he's starting to turn very bitter. And that kind of comment reminds me of how he was in 16/17, i.e. that happy new year line, etc.
  • Flapjack

Welcome back.

I think this (bolded) has been overstated a little bit amongst fans. According to a like for like fixture comparison, our defence has remained exactly the same so far this season, but our attack has been slightly worse.

2mrvvsdj4sm31.png

We've conceded the same amount of goals (4) as in the corresponding fixtures last season.

Fair enough.

I think a more relevant statistic to look at would be the amount of chances given away and the quality of those chances. So like xGA and shots faced - that kinda stuff.

Cos last season we barely gave opponents a sniff at goal, especially early on. In fact we conceded 2 in our first 5 and one of them was the Alisson mistake vs Leicester.

This season, its been 12, 20 and 14 shots conceded to Norwich, Chelsea and Southampton - which is insane considering the average we let at goal at the start of last year was 7 after 5 games.

The ships been somewhat steadied ever since Arsenal (9), Burnley (7) and Newcastle (8) but when you look at the quality of chances given away (think the Pepe one vs Arsenal where he was pretty much through on goal, Krafth one vs Newcastle where had tons of space to shoot, Ings one where he was an inch away from equalising etc. The opponents have had better opportunities to score. They just haven't taken them.

All that said, I dont think we need all these numbers. When you watch the team you can see that theyve not been as solid. These numbers just back that up.
  • SDoofus
    edited September 16

Welcome back.

2mrvvsdj4sm31.png

Fair enough.

I think a more relevant statistic to look at would be the amount of chances given away and the quality of those chances. So like xGA and shots faced - that kinda stuff.

Cos last season we barely gave opponents a sniff at goal, especially early on. In fact we conceded 2 in our first 5 and one of them was the Alisson mistake vs Leicester.

This season, its been 12, 20 and 14 shots conceded to Norwich, Chelsea and Southampton - which is insane considering the average we let at goal at the start of last year was 7 after 5 games.

The ships been somewhat steadied ever since Arsenal (9), Burnley (7) and Newcastle (8) but when you look at the quality of chances given away (think the Pepe one vs Arsenal where he was pretty much through on goal, Krafth one vs Newcastle where had tons of space to shoot, Ings one where he was an inch away from equalising etc. The opponents have had better opportunities to score. They just haven't taken them.

All that said, I dont think we need all these numbers. When you watch the team you can see that theyve not been as solid. These numbers just back that up.

It's worth mentioning that we've been playing a higher line this season, which will probably have teething problems to begin with. Missing Alisson is probably a bigger factor than most people think, too, as he was effectively marshalling the defence the entire time, along with VVD. Adrian doesn't have the same presence.

Also the rate that we were conceding at the beginning of last season wasn't sustainable. As the season went on, we didn't remain as good defensively as we were those first few games.
  • Flapjack

Looks like that's being countered this season, by their abysmal defence.

What were they thinking, letting Kompany go without bringing in a replacement? Otamendi is awful and Stones is above average at best, whilst being injury prone. It's going to get very interesting. I've noticed City don't react well to losses or conceding goals. Pep having a meltdown, calling himself Fraudiola was hilarious and makes him seem demented. I feel like he's starting to turn very bitter. And that kind of comment reminds me of how he was in 16/17, i.e. that happy new year line, etc.

Didn't he say congrats to Liverpool on winning the league during his post match interview? I mean, how snide can you get lol.
    Do miss the days when managers had beef with each other though. Big Sam, Mourinho, Pulis, SAF, Rafa. Absolute shithouses at times.They're all too nice now.
  • ViVaWhom
    8106 posts League Winner
    Pep is an incredibly sour loser, just check his interviews in his first season at city, he was extremely bitter and sarcastic

maybe i didnt see the same clip, but he didnt call himself fraudiola... he said his players have helped him get rid of that criticism
  • ViVaWhom wrote: »
    Pep is an incredibly sour loser, just check his interviews in his first season at city, he was extremely bitter and sarcastic

maybe i didnt see the same clip, but he didnt call himself fraudiola... he said his players have helped him get rid of that criticism

Maybe this?

• Pxul_
    7900 posts League Winner
    Question: what is this trophy going to be valued at against other cups? FA cup? League Cup? Champions Shield? Super Cup? EL? or CL(Doubt)?
  • LFC Simon 98
    17220 posts World Class
    Pxul_ wrote: »
    Question: what is this trophy going to be valued at against other cups? FA cup? League Cup? Champions Shield? Super Cup? EL? or CL(Doubt)?

Meh. Irl mates really wanna win it just cause you get the badge. Personally would send the kids
  • Pxul_
    7900 posts League Winner

Meh. Irl mates really wanna win it just cause you get the badge. Personally would send the kids

So more towards the Champions Shield?
  • Ahmer50x
    18128 posts World Class

PL>CL>FA>EFL>Club World Cup>Super Cup>Community Shield

For all other clubs, I'd say CL>PL but...well, you know :tongue:

Europa League doesn't count as a trophy for a top club IMO Just a backdoor route into the UCL but other than that its a substandard competition.
  • LFC Simon 98
    17220 posts World Class
    Have to agree tbh.
  • LFC Simon 98
    17220 posts World Class
    At what point are we overrating him?

Never?

Agreed
  • SDoofus
    edited September 16

It would be lovely to win the European treble (CL, Super Cup and CWC). We've never done it before. For that reason, I want us to win it, plus we need to keep winning these finals/cups, regardless of how significant or insignificant they are, as it will breed the winning mentality even further within the Club.
  • SDoofus
    At what point are we overrating him?

Never?

Agreed

Firmino is world class, but something seems different this season. He's gone up a level. Such a wonderful sight, watching him play atm.
  • Pxul_
    7900 posts League Winner
    Firmino is also charged with multiple counts of abuse of a football, forcing it to do things felt to be wholly unnatural, and several counts of defying the laws of physics, including being in three places at once, and possessing the ability to see through brick walls.

Representatives for the Brazilian, asked if their client was guilty, said “Si señor”. Apparently the incidents in question were all caught on video, and as such, Firmino is believed to be “bang to rights”.

It is believed that the police forensics unit also want to check for hazardous material in Firmino’s teeth enamel, with the Brazilian suspected of concealing plutonium and uranium, and smuggling it across national borders.”

Crying😂😂😂