Liverpool Football Club

Comments

• Cyodine
    1317 posts Professional
    ChrisLFC wrote: »
    Sanchez 55 mil. :D

Yeah... his worth is confusing. Every now and then he seems brilliant but not enough to make this list imo. Should be Matip instead.
  • Sellish
    9039 posts League Winner
    How do you think Matip would do as a leading CB?
    Next to players like Gomez, Smalling, Rudiger & Mustafi?

Personally I think every CB looks class next to VVD.
  • Wyojasond
    11306 posts Has That Special Something
    Sellish wrote: »

He needs a partner with a bit of pace and that will sit back as he likes to wander. Matip is very underrated but I think people have really seen how good he can be the last 6-9 months. Him and Gomez could walk into most teams backlines fairly easy I think.
  • Sellish
    9039 posts League Winner

He needs a partner with a bit of pace and that will sit back as he likes to wander. Matip is very underrated but I think people have really seen how good he can be the last 6-9 months. Him and Gomez could walk into most teams backlines fairly easy I think.

You say this but also they only play with VVD. Would like to see them play with eachother instead.
  • Kellnerr
    2517 posts Fans' Favourite
    Matip has always been really good tbh (not world class though). It was difficult to play well in a defence with Moreno, Lovren at times and with Mignolet behind oneself, aswell as Can who can't defend in front of you.
  • Cyodine
    1317 posts Professional

Matip has enough experience to do well as a leading CB. He may not be as composed as VVD but he's done well enough to cement his place in the XI. Next to players like Mustafi or Smalling...? Even VVD could not make them look good. Gomez and Rudiger I could see him being a good partner to them.
  • Wyojasond

You say this but also they only play with VVD. Would like to see them play with eachother instead.

To be fair Gomez has been getting lauded as a future world class CB by England coaches even before Klopp started playing him there. I remember awhile back Southgate made some comments that Klopp was being daft for not playing him at CB more.

I get what your saying that anyone can look good next to VVD but if you take the time to watch them, both have some real class to there game. Matip solid on the ball and can make some killer passes and runs at the defense. Gomez is scary fast. Has been noted many times he’s much faster than Mane and Salah. I think his height is his biggest weakness (well that and his injury record 😂)
  • Cyodine
    1317 posts Professional
    If VVD was injured, I'd be okay with Gomez and Matip duo.
  • Sellish
    9039 posts League Winner
    Cyodine wrote: »

Will never wish for someone to get injured but that would be really interesting to see.
  • Cyodine
    1317 posts Professional
    Cyodine wrote: »

Will never wish for someone to get injured but that would be really interesting to see.

I think it would work as long as its Gomez who sits back. He has the pace to cover up any mistakes.
  • LFC Simon 98
    16699 posts World Class

Lovren definitely is an exception to that rule
  • LFC Simon 98
    16699 posts World Class
    Actually think Matip and Rudiger would be a damn solid partnership
  • Pxul_
    7768 posts League Winner
    Actually think Matip and Rudiger would be a damn solid partnership

I agree actually
  • Argie8
    5754 posts Big Money Move
    yeah matip was good before VVD joined. His first season next to Lovren he was really good. had a little bit of a rough patch but was always our best CB until VVD joined imo
  • ChrisLFC
    7041 posts Big Money Move

I don't think any of our CBs have looked bad next to VVD. Would be interesting to see what happens if he was ever injured and we saw a Matip-Gomez partnership for an extended period of time.
  • Wyojasond
    Y’all best not be sending some bad mojo out with all this talk of wanting to see Matip and Gomez together....😂🤬
  • Cyodine
    1317 posts Professional
    Y’all best not be sending some bad mojo out with all this talk of wanting to see Matip and Gomez together....😂🤬

The only pair up I want to see is Mustafi and Luiz.
  • SDoofus
    4783 posts National Call-Up

I hope it pans out, I'd love us to wear Nike kits.
  • Wyojasond
    SDoofus wrote: »

I hope it pans out, I'd love us to wear Nike kits.

Yeah I hope we make the switch too, but I’ll give NB some credit, there kits the last few years have been much better. I’ve heard they are still doing there best to stay in the discussion too.
  • Pxul_
    7768 posts League Winner
    Keita is closer than Ali to be fit to start
  • Pxul_
    7768 posts League Winner
    I’m creased, I’m watching the live stream of the press conference and the chat was going up the side and jurgen answered a question in German and someone in the chat goes “he speaks German?!?”

Some people live under a rock
  • SDoofus
    Hard to feel positive about Keita returning, as you just can't help but expect him to last a couple of weeks before he's out with yet another lengthy injury.
  • Argie8
    Hard to feel positive about Keita returning, as you just can't help but expect him to last a couple of weeks before he's out with yet another lengthy injury.

how many injuries has he had since being at liverpool??
  • SDoofus
    Argie8 wrote: »

how many injuries has he had since being at liverpool??

sk92Qcv.jpg

That doesn't include how he struggles to break back into the midfield after returning from injury.
  • ViVaWhom
    7958 posts League Winner
    i get its annoying that he gets injured but as you say he doesnt necessarily play when he is fit... he is not that important of a player
  • SDoofus
    ViVaWhom wrote: »
    i get its annoying that he gets injured but as you say he doesnt necessarily play when he is fit... he is not that important of a player

He started 5 of our first 8 PL games last season, before getting his first injury, which caused him to miss out on the following 3 games entirely, and then start from the bench for the next two, whilst he builds his fitness back up. After those 2 games on the bench following his injury, he went on to start the next 5 in a row. So this is 18 games into the PL season, and so far, it's clear that he's supposed to be a starter, with only injuries and a small amount of early rotation causing him to miss out on game time.

Then he was seemingly dropped over the busy Xmas period for games 18, 19, 20 and 21, sat on the bench.

Then he came back in and started another 4 games in a row, before being benched again for 4 games in a row.

Then he got his second injury, which led to missing 1 game and only getting a place on the bench for the next game, against Spurs (you're not gonna bring him straight back in, in a big game like that).

After that, he started another 4 games in a row, before yet again, getting injured and missing the rest of the season.

So all in all, I think it's pretty clear that he's supposed to be a starter for us, with the occasional rest/rotation.
  • Wyojasond

I think most of us (and Klopp has said this recently too) fully expect him to be a solid starting XI player if he can kick these issues. He had a great run before the injury against Barca.

Like Doofus said though, he’ll probably get 5 games in and be hurt again 😢
  • Argie8

He started 5 of our first 8 PL games last season, before getting his first injury, which caused him to miss out on the following 3 games entirely, and then start from the bench for the next two, whilst he builds his fitness back up. After those 2 games on the bench following his injury, he went on to start the next 5 in a row. So this is 18 games into the PL season, and so far, it's clear that he's supposed to be a starter, with only injuries and a small amount of early rotation causing him to miss out on game time.

Then he was seemingly dropped over the busy Xmas period for games 18, 19, 20 and 21, sat on the bench.

Then he came back in and started another 4 games in a row, before being benched again for 4 games in a row.

Then he got his second injury, which led to missing 1 game and only getting a place on the bench for the next game, against Spurs (you're not gonna bring him straight back in, in a big game like that).

After that, he started another 4 games in a row, before yet again, getting injured and missing the rest of the season.

So all in all, I think it's pretty clear that he's supposed to be a starter for us, with the occasional rest/rotation.

I still have faith he can come good. He could potentially be one of the best midfielders in the league if he’s able to get a good run in the team