Liverpool Football Club

Comments

• TakeItSlow
    7334 posts Big Money Move
    Couchy wrote: »
    El_Nino wrote: »
    I think a lot of people don’t really understand what they’re saying when they say someone’s bottled it.

Bottling it is Man City loosing a final against West Ham. Bottling it is not narrowly missing out on La Liga/Prem tittles to the likes of Man City or Barcelona.

Except when you are 7 points clear and don’t win it.

That year Liverpool set a higher points tally than United have ever managed. Nothing but bad luck that they were up against that city team.

Yeah, and what did it get them? What a pointless statement.

If you look at his whole statement it makes sense, not just picking what you want out and calling it pointless.

How can you call a 97 point tally a bottle? :lol:
  • Couchy
    9505 posts League Winner
    TakeItSlow wrote: »
    I think a lot of people don’t really understand what they’re saying when they say someone’s bottled it.

Bottling it is Man City loosing a final against West Ham. Bottling it is not narrowly missing out on La Liga/Prem tittles to the likes of Man City or Barcelona.

That year Liverpool set a higher points tally than United have ever managed. Nothing but bad luck that they were up against that city team.

If you look at his whole statement it makes sense, not just picking what you want out and calling it pointless.

7. Points. Clear.

Been through all this at the time so not going to explain it all again.
  • Pietu
    2160 posts Fans' Favourite

7. Points. Clear.

Been through all this at the time so not going to explain it all again.

With the City game to play so 4 points clear, not bottling when considering how good both teams were for the rest of the season
  • LFC Simon 98
    17305 posts World Class

Even you have to admit what City managed to do was exceptional. The lost like 1 and won 19 in 2019 or something stupendous. If you lose to that is it bottling or is it being beaten by a better side?

Don’t get me wrong, with what City did it’s certainly at the lower end of the ‘bottling scale’

But if you want a better representation of it then it’s the game at Old Trafford. 3 first half injuries and a hobbling Rashford and Klopp didn’t go for it.

That’s where you bottled it.

Ahh yes. When Firmino also got injured early on. We were still top after that and had 10 games left iirc.

City still had to go to Old Trafford, the Bridge and home to Spurs after that.

Looked like a good point at the time.
  • LFC Simon 98
    17305 posts World Class
    I don’t know why we all still argue with him tbh. I still remember him calling VVD a flop after 4 games because we hadn’t kept a clean sheet. Says a lot
  • Kellnerr
    2581 posts Fans' Favourite
    Would have been different if we were 7 points clear in like April.

We're now 2 points clear, are we bottlers if we don't win the league? :joy:
  • TakeItSlow
    I don’t know why we all still argue with him tbh. I still remember him calling VVD a flop after 4 games because we hadn’t kept a clean sheet. Says a lot

He’s quite something. I mean he prays to Howson and thinks the bloke speaks gospel and he’s one of the most deluded united fans around. In fact Howson said the same thing about VVD.

It’s as if Uniteds fall from Grace has been so hard that their fans just need to take it out on everything and anyone, it’s sad to see.
  • LFC Simon 98
    17305 posts World Class

He’s quite something. I mean he prays to Howson and thinks the bloke speaks gospel and he’s one of the most deluded united fans around. In fact Howson said the same thing about VVD.

It’s as if Uniteds fall from Grace has been so hard that their fans just need to take it out on everything and anyone, it’s sad to see.

I actually like a lot of the United fans on here. They are pretty reasonable. And can admit we eclipse them.
  • Pietu

Never forget :lol:
    I had no worries about Jose, knew he wouldn't win the league
  • TakeItSlow
    Pietu wrote: »

Never forget :lol:
    I had no worries about Jose, knew he wouldn't win the league

He is literally @Couchy
  • Tornado31619
    17021 posts World Class
    Liverpool blowing a 7-point lead was poor on their part, yes, but with so much still to play for, I don’t suppose that you can really call it a “bottle job”. Had Liverpool’s draws been the result of them bottling 2-3 goal leads as they used to pre-VVD, then there’s an argument to be made.

In a league, there is so much to play for, which is why nobody can really “bottle” anything, unless City blew their massive lead the year they scored 100 points. I’d say that the term would be more appropriately used if we were discussing the CL. Barça, Ajax, PSG, etc. Maybe Real, to a degree (losing their lead in the matter that they did), and even Inter, seeing that a six-game group stage is short enough to consider them blowing their lead a “bottle job”.

When I called Atletico bottlers, I must have been thinking specifically of their 3-0 in Turin after being 2-0 ahead. But they generally crash out of the CL in spectacular style.

3-0 Juventus (3-2 AGG)
    2-1 Chelsea (in Madrid, which ultimately dumped them from the group)
    3-0 Real (5-1 AGG)

They scraped past Leicester for crying out loud. Unless they legitimately challenge Barça for LaLiga this season, my opinion stands.
  • Pietu
    Liverpool blowing a 7-point lead was poor on their part, yes, but with so much still to play for, I don’t suppose that you can really call it a “bottle job”. Had Liverpool’s draws been the result of them bottling 2-3 goal leads as they used to pre-VVD, then there’s an argument to be made.

In a league, there is so much to play for, which is why nobody can really “bottle” anything, unless City blew their massive lead the year they scored 100 points. I’d say that the term would be more appropriately used if we were discussing the CL. Barça, Ajax, PSG, etc. Maybe Real, to a degree (losing their lead in the matter that they did), and even Inter, seeing that a six-game group stage is short enough to consider them blowing their lead a “bottle job”.

When I called Atletico bottlers, I must have been thinking specifically of their 3-0 in Turin after being 2-0 ahead. But they generally crash out of the CL in spectacular style.

3-0 Juventus (3-2 AGG)
    3-0 Real (5-1 AGG)

They scraped past Leicester for crying out loud. Unless they legitimately challenge Barça for LaLiga this season, my opinion stands.

I think they not only will challenge Barca but will win it
  • Couchy
    9505 posts League Winner

Your so bitter you belong in a pint glass.

You realise they didn’t win the league right? What would I have to be bitter about? 😂

You are clearly getting me mixed up with someone else
  • SDoofus
    5079 posts Big Money Move

You realise they didn’t win the league right? What would I have to be bitter about? 😂

Our clubs' respective current situations.
  • Couchy
    9505 posts League Winner
    SDoofus wrote: »

And me saying you bottled it changes that!? Nothing to be bitter about at all until you actually win a premier league title.
  • LFC Simon 98
    17305 posts World Class

And me saying you bottled it changes that!? Nothing to be bitter about at all until you actually win a premier league title.

So Champo means nothing to you now because we won it lmao
  • SDoofus

:D
  • Couchy
    9505 posts League Winner

Keep up, Simon. You’ve not won the league in 29 years, we aren’t bothered about your 6th CL.
  • Argie8
    5827 posts Big Money Move
    Were we actually 7 points ahead though? I'm sure City had a game in hand. Not that it really matters as we won almost every game after. No bottle, just City are ridiculous
  • SDoofus

Keep up, Simon. You’ve not won the league in 29 years, we aren’t bothered about your 6th CL.

It's been like 3 or 4 months and you're still on the second out of seven stages of grief?
  • Couchy
    9505 posts League Winner

It's been like 3 or 4 months and you're still on the second out of seven stages of grief?

😴
  • ViVaWhom
    8127 posts League Winner
    edited August 27
    Argie8 wrote: »
    Were we actually 7 points ahead though? I'm sure City had a game in hand. Not that it really matters as we won almost every game after. No bottle, just City are ridiculous

you were 7 clear

you did bottle it, cause you were doing really well while chasing, then you were suddenly leading and crumbled, then when you were chasing again you did well... more pressure = worse results
  • Tornado31619
    17021 posts World Class
    Pietu wrote: »

3-0 Juventus (3-2 AGG)
    3-0 Real (5-1 AGG)

I think they not only will challenge Barca but will win it

Hopefully. But people say that Barça will win the CL every year, and look how that goes.

I’ll believe it when I see it.
  • ChrisLFC
    7095 posts Big Money Move
    Is it bad I was really hoping we’d get Remy

Wanted him too. :D His transfer was identical to Fekir's iirc
  • Argie8
    5827 posts Big Money Move
    edited August 27
    ViVaWhom wrote: »

you were 7 clear

you did bottle it, cause you were doing really well while chasing, then you were suddenly leading and crumbled, then when you were chasing again you did well... more pressure = worse results

Show me the table..

We lost one game all season lmao. 3rd highest in premier league history. There was no bottle. We dropped points, like practically every other team in EPL history

It's completely unrealistic to expect us to win every single game
  • ViVaWhom
    8127 posts League Winner
    ViVaWhom wrote: »

you were 7 clear

Show me the table..

We lost one game all season lmao. 3rd highest in premier league history. There was no bottle. We dropped points, like practically every other team in EPL history

It's completely unrealistic to expect us to win every single game

zdv9701.png
  • SDoofus
    At least United still tops that. In 2011/12, United were 8 points ahead with 6 games remaining :D