The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on Console & PC and includes the changes listed here.

How do you keep a 2-0 lead?

KotiMursu
368 posts Sunday League Hero
edited January 2016
I've played 8 matches today.

In 7 of them, I've gone up two goals at some point. I've won 2, drawn 4 and lost 1. Why can't I keep a 2-0 lead at all? What's the matter? I don't change anything usually, in some of them I go defensive.

the 6 matches: domination until I score the magical second goal around 60-70 minutes. My opponent usually scores straight after (4-6 mins after) and score another one just before added time. HOW IS IT SO HARD TO KEEP A LEAD? Last match my opponent had no shots in the first half and 40% possession, I go 2-0 up at 68th, to concede in the 70th & 74th and a penalty in 86. Tips please.

Comments

• ryan217
    2902 posts Fans' Favourite
    The last few weeks, I've been wondering the same thing about real life football.
  • CraigFWba
    1707 posts Play-Off Hero
    When i get a 2-0 lead i usually switch to 4231 and play a lot more conservatively.
  • HekTic_JukeZ
    2349 posts Fans' Favourite
    Score more goals

Don't settle for 2-0
  • Yehudaargazi1
    669 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited January 2016
    Its all about your mental side...i geuss is weak..
    Me to..not 20 lead but always in the last mints i get callpsed
  • truegunn3r
    9523 posts Has That Special Something
    edited January 2016
    I have had that. It is not from you but actually your opponent changes his/her playstyle as desperation creeps in.

It is hard to know exactly what they do but all I can think of is they go a lot more offensive.

You need to change your style of play after scoring two goals and be abit more defensive but try to carry on dominating possession. I wouldn't recommend park the bus or ultra defence.
  • WFCBagnall
    73500 posts Moderator
    Score a third
  • heavymcd
    10068 posts Has That Special Something
    No shame in switching to 5atb and PTB to keep a two goal lead. Just gotta get good at keeping possession and moving on the ball out of your third to minimize the threat.
  • TKBC
    3035 posts National Call-Up
    KotiMursu wrote: »
    I've played 8 matches today.

In 7 of them, I've gone up two goals at some point. I've won 2, drawn 4 and lost 1. Why can't I keep a 2-0 lead at all? What's the matter? I don't change anything usually, in some of them I go defensive.

the 6 matches: domination until I score the magical second goal around 60-70 minutes. My opponent usually scores straight after (4-6 mins after) and score another one just before added time. HOW IS IT SO HARD TO KEEP A LEAD? Last match my opponent had no shots in the first half and 40% possession, I go 2-0 up at 68th, to concede in the 70th & 74th and a penalty in 86. Tips please.

I've noticed when scoring early your team ability gets diminished (or your oppo wakes up and takes the game more seriously!). EA also I think puts in artificial drama through these means - keeps the average gamer thinking they have a chance.

I've also noticed I have blown 2 goal leads lately only to win-draw the majority of them.

But the way to beat it is go defensive for a while, don't be afraid to simply keep possession, and slow the game down until mid second half. Typically something weird will happen and your oppo will score to "keep things interesting" but those tactics should work when up 2.
  • TKBC
    3035 posts National Call-Up
    Score more goals

Don't settle for 2-0

or this
  • PTY BroZz
    2662 posts Fans' Favourite
    Score more goals

Don't settle for 2-0

This.
  • rapleton
    1385 posts Play-Off Hero
    Get a player sent off
  • CFC-shazaam
    6327 posts Big Money Move
    Kill the game off Mourinho style. I usually sub on a extra CM to try and sure things up or just make the game a bore fest for the last 20
  • Milan14
    490 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Play possession and don't go constantly attacking, leaving yourself open for the counter attack.
  • Clancy
    7757 posts League Winner
    I disagree with many of the things said, I often lose the 2-0 lead and its because I switch off attacking and relax a bit but just end up inviting attacks. the best defense is keeping the ball in their half and trying to score more goals

stay attacking, stay sharp and dont settle until you're up by 4
  • Dan25
    466 posts Sunday League Hero
    Milan14 wrote: »
    Play possession and don't go constantly attacking, leaving yourself open for the counter attack.

This.

At 2-0 you're in no rush to score again, just keep passing simple, don't try the through balls that will get intercepted.

Eventually your opponent will probably go high pressure and ultra attacking and that's when the spaces will open up and you can put the game to bed.

Easier said than done though!
  • Mr Cow
    4163 posts National Call-Up
    the best way I find to keep a lead is don't concede any goals
  • Remzy69
    2102 posts Fans' Favourite
    Most people put on High pressure and go ultra attacking when they are behind. Some people already do it when they concede 1 goal. It's hard to play against that, but I strongly advise you to keep possession at all times and make sure you won't get countered too hard. I always switch my fullbacks from always overlap to stay back when this happens.
  • EveryDImDrinkingWine
    965 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Keep possession, just play back if you need to. You space wisely with long passes, and make your way up towards goal via wing-backs. You should actually find more space than you did before you went 1-0 up, just be clinical.
  • PTY BroZz
    2662 posts Fans' Favourite
    Mr Cow wrote: »
    the best way I find to keep a lead is don't concede any goals

Genius
  • Bob_Dylan
    19409 posts World Class
    Score more goals

Don't settle for 2-0

• Putix
    151 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Go defensive, counter attack and try to score a 3rd without over commiting
  • JeremiahIV
    241 posts Sunday League Hero
    Park the bus and set your tactic to counter-attack. Also if you reach halftime or have the time to pause the game, move the positions of all your players except one striker into your own half.
  • BenzP7
    8294 posts League Winner
    Score more goals

Don't settle for 2-0

• JonRambo
    1103 posts Professional
    I try and hold the ball more, pass it around my back line more to waste time.
  • ukler8
    4749 posts National Call-Up
    rapleton wrote: »
    Get a player sent off

This.
  • naz_sohan
    390 posts Sunday League Hero
    Putix wrote: »
    Go defensive, counter attack and try to score a 3rd without over commiting

This
  • Auslo17
    1341 posts Professional
    Keep playing the same exact way.
  • Yehudaargazi1
    669 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Look if you cahnge to defence and not match all the other thing its not good
    Your opp going to get more poss and he had more chance to kick your ****
    If you just put another guy atb and change custactic to poss your team shulde be ok
  • NittyRM3
    2083 posts Fans' Favourite
    I thinks it's in your head.Happens to me too sometimes.A 2-0 lead gives one a false sense of security,thereby reducing their effort
  • Liam9lfc
    8538 posts League Winner
    Apply the old football cliche "its still 0-0"

Easier said than done I know but when you go 2-0 up its easy to lose control of a game if you let complacency kick in. The opposing player will most likely play with a nothing to lose mentality aswell so they could become more dangerous as a result.

Just stick to what was giving you success and don't lose your concentration. The way I see it is players play better when losing than when drawing/winning to keep my head in it