Chow's Guide To Possession Football

Comments

• Smoothino
    1334 posts Professional
    Chow wrote: »
    @l OwNz l

Following up yesterday's reply, I bought the team: :)

fFBSzO9.png

How does it play?
  • Chow
    2525 posts Fans' Favourite
    @Smoothino

Played 5 games to far, won all 5, scored something like 16 and conceded 2, but the 'goals scored' was inflated by one of the games where I won 9-1.

Honestly, it probably isn't the best team I've used this year, that would be the last team I made (the one that was supposed to be my 'final' team), or possibly the BPL team I had a few months ago. However, it is very solid defensively, which is a surprise given that it's a relatively slow backline.

The stand out players are TOTS Bradley and SIF Teixeira...Bradley is the perfect ball winner (has a similar style to Matic) whilst Teixeira is a great complement since he's better on the ball (reminds me of Modric). The fact that I've only conceded 2 goals is as much down to these two as it is the defence.

Giovinco makes things happen, can't finish mind (although I'd imagine his TOTS is much better in that department). Firmino is solid, as is Balotelli (always one of the first strikers I pick up each year). As much as I'd love to, I can't exactly recommend TOTS Kaka for his price, in fact I only picked him up for nostalgia purposes. Scored a couple of lovely finesses from outside the box with him but other than that he hasn't really done much.

TOTS Tierney is one of those full backs that you'll enjoy if you like using tall defensive players...SIF Srna on the other hand is much more well rounded - his excellent passing and crossing makes him viable going forward, and he has the defensive stats to hold his own at the back. TOTS Terry's lack of pace does show occasionally but his positioning more than makes up for that, and alongside Cahill they've impressed me.

Overall, a fun yet solid team that can definitely compete, though it's no super team.
  • Smoothino
    1334 posts Professional
    Nice ive gone back to the false 9 possesion tactic

Neymar suarez (pedro subbed on)
    Iniesta busquets modric
    Marcelo luiz silva Carvajal
    Sirigu
  • l OwNz l
    478 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Nice looking squad @Chow ! I mainly use 4231(2) and 433(5) how do you cope with width in the 4231? I tend to get clogged with that formation. Any tips?
  • Chow
    @";"l OwNz l"

Over the year, I mostly used the 4-2-3-1 (1) over the 4-2-3-1 (2) just because the interchanging of the 3 CAM's seemed to give me more options in attack...compared to the LM/RM in the 4-2-3-1 (2) who tended to stay a bit too wide for my liking. However over TOTS I used LM/RM formations a bit more with success.

That said, I don't tend to find the 3 CAM's get clogged in the 4-2-3-1 (1), and I still find it suits my style the best with my current team. Have you tried using the 'free roam' player instruction on all 3 CAM's. For me, and others, I know this makes a big difference to their movement. I also have my wide CAM's set to 'get back on defence' and my CCAM on 'stay forward whilst attacking', but that's personal preference.

Definitely check out Liam9lfc's 4-2-3-1 Formation Guide ft. Sokker14 by @Liam9lfc and @Sokker14 (if you haven't done so already) for in depth analysis/tactics on the formation.
  • l OwNz l
    @chow thanks for the reply mate! Will have a look at the formation and give it a go again!
  • Smoothino
    1334 posts Professional
    Chow would this work

Balotelli
    Sif coutinho if lallana firmino (lfc version)
    Tots henderson gerrard
  • Smoothino
    1334 posts Professional
    edited August 2015
    This is my main team. Love 4141 atm

Balotelli
    Hazard oscar cesc willian
    Matic
    Luis sakho cahill walker

Was thinking nani at rm then cedric and use hererra instead of cesc and use rvp at striker
  • Chow
    @Smoothino

The Liverpool 6 looks good, though if it wasn't Gerrard, I might be inclined to put a proper ball winner in there, someone like Lucas. That said, Gerrard offers set pieces and another goal scoring option from midfield, so it's all about preference. You'll really enjoy using IF Lallana, his 5* WF gives him a different dimension.

As for the 4141 team, I actually think your current setup is more effective from a numerical stand point. Here's an example of what you'd be giving up by replacing Cesc with Herrera:

k4eRiF7.png

Oscar isn't a bad passer, but really he's more of a #10, someone who'll be supporting the striker by making runs in and around the box. Fabregas, or Herrera, are more box to box/deeper CM's, and in that role, there's only one winner.
  • Smoothino
    1334 posts Professional
    edited August 2015
    @Smoothino

The Liverpool 6 looks good, though if it wasn't Gerrard, I might be inclined to put a proper ball winner in there, someone like Lucas. That said, Gerrard offers set pieces and another goal scoring option from midfield, so it's all about preference. You'll really enjoy using IF Lallana, his 5* WF gives him a different dimension.

As for the 4141 team, I actually think your current setup is more effective from a numerical stand point. Here's an example of what you'd be giving up by replacing Cesc with Herrera:

k4eRiF7.png

Oscar isn't a bad passer, but really he's more of a #10, someone who'll be supporting the striker by making runs in and around the box. Fabregas, or Herrera, are more box to box/deeper CM's, and in that role, there's only one winner.

Thanks bro ive gone for this, thoughts?

Palacio
    Reus guarin hernanes nani
    Vidal
    Durm chiellini miranda cedric

I was going to go back to 4231

But i love how 4141 is and i find it more attacking
  • Chow
    @Smoothino

I had a spell around February/March where I exclusively used 4-1-4-1, and at one point I'd have put it as my go-to formation alongside the 4-2-3-1 (1). Used it with a lot of success in 14 too. And as you've pointed out, I also found the 4-1-4-1 more attacking...and that's probably why I switched back to the 4-2-3-1, because by April I was playing in more Community Cups, better players, and thus needed a more defensive formation. The team looks good, though you'll have to see how Vidal plays as the lone CDM, and Hernanes/Guarin are fairly similar players (not that that's always a bad thing).

Palacio was incredible for a non rare when 15 first came out.
  • Smoothino
    1334 posts Professional
    @Smoothino

I had a spell around February/March where I exclusively used 4-1-4-1, and at one point I'd have put it as my go-to formation alongside the 4-2-3-1 (1). Used it with a lot of success in 14 too. And as you've pointed out, I also found the 4-1-4-1 more attacking...and that's probably why I switched back to the 4-2-3-1, because by April I was playing in more Community Cups, better players, and thus needed a more defensive formation. The team looks good, though you'll have to see how Vidal plays as the lone CDM, and Hernanes/Guarin are fairly similar players (not that that's always a bad thing).

Palacio was incredible for a non rare when 15 first came out.

Yeah i agree. I settled on 4141 with

Suarez
    Pedro iniesta thiago robben
    Alonso
    Alba benatia boateng dortmund rb

Had a brief spell with 4231 serie a today

Cant settle on RAM

I was using

Palacio
    Mertens hernanes x
    Ddr vidal
    Criscito Chiellini barzagli de sciglio

Who would you play at ram? Insigne was good but i hate 3 star skills
  • Chow
    @Smoothino

Honestly, I've only used one Serie A team throughout all of FUT 15, and it was in the 3-4-2-1 formation (you can view this team in the OP under 'Chow's Sample Teams'). However, having asking around, the consensus seems to be that Cerci would be a good fit for you at RAM.
  • Smoothino
    1334 posts Professional
    @Smoothino

Honestly, I've only used one Serie A team throughout all of FUT 15, and it was in the 3-4-2-1 formation (you can view this team in the OP under 'Chow's Sample Teams'). However, having asking around, the consensus seems to be that Cerci would be a good fit for you at RAM.

Thanks for getting back gonna settle on this for final and grind it out if it doesnt succeed at first.

Any improvements

Strurridge
    Sif coutinho if lallana firmino
    Lucas tots henderson
    Moreno sakho skirtle clyne

Im a lfc supporter btw
  • Chow
    @Smoothino

I've actually had success using Lovren this year, however both times that was alongside Sergio Ramos, not Martin Skrtel. Other than that, looks good, though my personal preference of striker would definitely be Balo/Teke over Sturridge (I haven't used Sturridge this year, but I know he's pretty good).
  • nordicvictory123
    878 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited August 2015
    Balance should be added as key stat for CB and fullbacks.

81 % is good, but not extremely good. 75 should be minimum.
  • Chow
    @nordicvictory123

The guide was written up a few months ago based on my personal experience. However, I'm intrigued to hear why you think 'balance' is a key stat for CB's and fullbacks?
  • Smoothino
    1334 posts Professional
    @Smoothino

I've actually had success using Lovren this year, however both times that was alongside Sergio Ramos, not Martin Skrtel. Other than that, looks good, though my personal preference of striker would definitely be Balo/Teke over Sturridge (I haven't used Sturridge this year, but I know he's pretty good).

Ive gone with if toure and if skirtle

How would you arrange the 3 cams in each position?
  • Chow
    @Smoothino

I'd say they're fine as they are (Coutinho on the left, Lallana in the middle, Firmino on the right). I always like to have the 5* WF CAM in the middle since he can go both ways.
  • nordicvictory123
    878 posts An Exciting Prospect
    @nordicvictory123

The guide was written up a few months ago based on my personal experience. However, I'm intrigued to hear why you think 'balance' is a key stat for CB's and fullbacks?

With good balance it's easier to follow your opponent when he's dribbling. Should be 50+.

Sokratis has really good balance and is one of the best NIF CBs in the game. Better than a player like Kompany.
  • Smoothino
    1334 posts Professional
    Best cams in your opinion? Lallana feels like a drunk in the middle
  • Chow
    @Smoothino

How many games have you tried IF Lallana for? Bare in mind I like to give players at least 10 games before I decide to get rid of them.
  • Chow
    @nordicvictory123

That's a fair point. Of the CB's I recommended in the guide, only four didn't have at least 50 balance - Kompany and Vertonghen (both of which I'd argue excel in other areas, such as acceleration which allow them to cover their balance weakness)...the other two being Garay and Luisao, two CB's that I'd always recommend pairing with a more agile (or higher balance, in your case) CB due to their reliance on strength, height and positioning, rather than keeping up with attackers in a foot race.
  • Smoothino
    1334 posts Professional
    edited August 2015
    @Smoothino

How many games have you tried IF Lallana for? Bare in mind I like to give players at least 10 games before I decide to get rid of them.

@Chow
    Not many mate it just didnt feel right

Got this which feels better and is more possesion based and tiki taka

Sif raffael
    Tots teixera hernanes douglas costa
    Melo fernandinho
    Marcelo luiz silva danilo
    Post edited by Smoothino on
  • BluFF_1234
    6 posts Ball Boy
    edited August 2015
    Hello Mr. Chow, my question is very simple

If you had to make 2 bpl teams and had 40k to spend on each, what would your team look like?

1) in a 4231 (3 CAM version)
    2) in a 4141

Just curious, also, could you tell me how you would set your player instructions as?

Thanks
  • CFC-shazaam
    6327 posts Big Money Move
    I play 4-3-1-2 with this team

http://www.futhead.com/15/squads/38724301/

I dominate possession and create a lot of choices whilst restricting my opponent. 3 man midfield are very powerful the fifa because it allows you to control the battle of the midfield and bring an element of control.

Also just by simply passing between the midfield allows you to probe and create countless openings
  • Smoothino
    1334 posts Professional
    BluFF_1234 wrote: »
    Hello Mr. Chow, my question is very simple

If you had to make 2 bpl teams and had 40k to spend on each, what would your team look like?

1) in a 4231 (3 CAM version)
    2) in a 4141

Just curious, also, could you tell me how you would set your player instructions as?

Thanks

This also for me
  • Smoothino
    1334 posts Professional
    Iniesta and thiago are probably my 2 favourite middle cams in a 4231 1. Running this atm

Benzema
    Isco iniesta james
    Perez modric

Love playing tiki taka
  • Chow
    Apologies to those who I haven't gotten back to, currently in Malaysia and I'm about to set off on a 7 hour travel (it's 5.30am), so I've been busy packing, etc. Not sure if the wifi will be any good where I'm going, but I'll reply when I can.
  • l OwNz l
    @Chow not a bad place to be :) good luck with the long trip!
This discussion has been closed.