Chow's Guide To Possession Football

Comments

• gresh1978
    2535 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited June 2015
    @Chow read through your guide and really liked it. I like to play a possession style of Game but think I could do a lot better. Here's my teams I use.8EXLlN7.jpghX1g9NP.jpg

I opted for this formation to try and bring a bit of enjoyment back to the game. Been enjoying it mostly, but think it could offer more. What do you think would be the best player instructions to get the optimum out of this formation?
  • Chow
    2525 posts Fans' Favourite
    @gresh1978

Apologies for taking so long to get back to you. Glad to see you're trying the 3-4-2-1! Personally, I think your player choices look good, especially at RM/LM since you've gone for players who track back either due to work rates, or are naturally full/wing backs. In terms of instructions, this is how I normally set up:

GK/CB: Leave on default ("Stay back while attacking").
    RM/LM: "Come back on defence", "Stay wide", "Get in behind".
    CM (Defensive): "Stay back while attacking", "Stay on edge of box for crosses".
    CM (Neutral/Attacking): "Balanced", " "Stay on edge of box for crosses.", "Free roam".
    RF/LF: "Stay central", "Cut passing lanes" or "Press backline" based on preference.
    STR: "Stay central", "Cut passing lanes or "Press backline" based on preference.

The key is for your RM/LM to provide the width whilst still leaving yourself 3 vs (for the majority of the time) 2 CB's in the middle. That way, an opposition full back will usually have to play more narrow to contend with your three central attackers, leaving space on the flank they play on for your LM/RM. Hope this helps.
  • Smoothino
    1334 posts Professional
    Chow can you recommend a cheap 4335 side? Been dominating with possession and using slow passes.
  • Smoothino
    1334 posts Professional
    The term cheap...100k roughly thanks
  • Chow
    @Smoothino Which console are you on?
  • Smoothino
    1334 posts Professional
    Chow wrote: »
    @Smoothino Which console are you on?

Xbox 1 mate. Curious to see your squad if you are still using the false 9?
  • murderMAX
    154 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    just tap the pass button, every little kid can play barca with assisted controls. play with manuals and it actually requires skill. with manuals you can play much more creative possession style football. dont even see whats the point of making this tutorial if its not meant for playing with manual controls.
  • Bidwell
    8359 posts League Winner
    murderMAX wrote: »
    just tap the pass button, every little kid can play barca with assisted controls. play with manuals and it actually requires skill. with manuals you can play much more creative possession style football. dont even see whats the point of making this tutorial if its not meant for playing with manual controls.

RT, Chow is a fraud

Would love to see him use real manuals like a real man. Maybe in a 451.
  • Bidwell
    8359 posts League Winner
    I actually heard chow has a robot to press the buttons for him, he wants that much assistance.
  • Chow
    @Bidwell @murderMAX Coming soon to a St. James' Park near you:

V3nS01B.png
  • Bidwell
    8359 posts League Winner
    @Bidwell @murderMAX Coming soon to a St. James' Park near you:

V3nS01B.png

leaking my ideas. shocking.
  • Chow
    @Smoothino

Not using the 4-3-3 (5) currently but this was the team I was using for the past couple of weeks:

O3I93tw.png

This is my current team:

kAXSxIf.png

Will come up with a 100k False 9 team inabit.
  • Smoothino
    1334 posts Professional
    edited July 2015
    @Smoothino

Not using the 4-3-3 (5) currently but this was the team I was using for the past couple of weeks:

O3I93tw.png

This is my current team:

kAXSxIf.png

Will come up with a 100k False 9 team inabit.

Thanks bro. Have you ever had any success with vela at rw? Seems to go missing for me...was thinking this

Pedro messi (dependent on price) vela
    rakitic busq xavi
    alba godin miranda alves

Or maybe alba luiz silva alves
  • Chow
    edited July 2015
    @Smoothino

This may be slightly over budget but you could just replace TOTS Gabbiadini and/or Florenzi for other Serie A players and still get full chem for those positions:

9Qdwb3t.png

The idea behind this squad is that TOTS Soriano has the perfect stats for a False 9, it's just a shame he plays in an off league.

As for Vela, I've not used him this year so I can't comment on him. However, while Robben is obviously better stats wise (thus making a comparison isn't necessarily relevant), I've certainly had success with him as a "left footed, pacey winger who cuts inside very effectively".

As for the rest of the team, it looks good. TOTY Luiz is the best CB I've faced on this game, and thus I usually go with his NIF when I get the chance.
  • Vidic987
    12 posts Ball Boy
    edited July 2015
    i don't know if you like to pretend or not, but the type of players are useless, you can literally use casillas in midfield and find success with him as opposed to xabi alonso or parejo, and if you cant play possession already, you ought to not play this game

and you are wrong, 343 is the best formation for this playstyle if you approach the game in a strictly offensive fashion as it creates the most penetrations
  • Smoothino
    1334 posts Professional
    @Smoothino

This may be slightly over budget but you could just replace TOTS Gabbiadini and/or Florenzi for other Serie A players and still get full chem for those positions:

9Qdwb3t.png

The idea behind this squad is that TOTS Soriano has the perfect stats for a False 9, it's just a shame he plays in an off league.

As for Vela, I've not used him this year so I can't comment on him. However, while Robben is obviously better stats wise (thus making a comparison isn't necessarily relevant), I've certainly had success with him as a "left footed, pacey winger who cuts inside very effectively".

As for the rest of the team, it looks good. TOTY Luiz is the best CB I've faced on this game, and thus I usually go with his NIF when I get the chance.

Thanks mate. Yeah robben was class for me too.

Think im gonna go with

Pedro dos santos vela
    rakitic busq xavi
    alba luiz silva alves
    sirigu

I might spend the rest of my funds on messi at cf, but his price fluctuates, i have around 800k all together
  • gresh1978
    @gresh1978

Apologies for taking so long to get back to you. Glad to see you're trying the 3-4-2-1! Personally, I think your player choices look good, especially at RM/LM since you've gone for players who track back either due to work rates, or are naturally full/wing backs. In terms of instructions, this is how I normally set up:

GK/CB: Leave on default ("Stay back while attacking").
    RM/LM: "Come back on defence", "Stay wide", "Get in behind".
    CM (Defensive): "Stay back while attacking", "Stay on edge of box for crosses".
    CM (Neutral/Attacking): "Balanced", " "Stay on edge of box for crosses.", "Free roam".
    RF/LF: "Stay central", "Cut passing lanes" or "Press backline" based on preference.
    STR: "Stay central", "Cut passing lanes or "Press backline" based on preference.

The key is for your RM/LM to provide the width whilst still leaving yourself 3 vs (for the majority of the time) 2 CB's in the middle. That way, an opposition full back will usually have to play more narrow to contend with your three central attackers, leaving space on the flank they play on for your LM/RM. Hope this helps.
    For my two CMs in my two teams would you set toure as my defensive midfielder and Fabregas as my neutral/attack minded midfielder.
    For my second team it would be Lahm as my defensive answer Schweinsteiger as my neutral/attack minded midfielder.
  • Chow
    @gresh1978

It's tough, I think Yaya is more effective defensively but he's probably also more of a force going forward too. Fabregas is more of a deep lying playmaker when in a defensive role, rather than a ball winner, which Yaya could pull off. I'd experiment between the two to see which works better. :)
  • gresh1978
    @gresh1978

It's tough, I think Yaya is more effective defensively but he's probably also more of a force going forward too. Fabregas is more of a deep lying playmaker when in a defensive role, rather than a ball winner, which Yaya could pull off. I'd experiment between the two to see which works better. :)
    Would you replace Fabregas for someone else?
  • Chow
    @gresh1978

Not necessarily if you enjoy using Fabregas. If you wanted to go more defensive, you could replace him for UP Matic and use Yaya as your neutral/attacking CM...or you could go more attacking and use someone like UP Eriksen and use Yaya as your defensive CM.
  • gresh1978
    @Chow don't really like using Fabregas as he feels sluggish. Might try your Ericksen recommendation.
  • Chow
    @gresh1978 Don't suppose you have the coins for pink Eriksen? I've heard very good things about him.
  • RealBmo7
    498 posts Sunday League Hero
    OP 58% possession overall is mediocre, you must be doing something wrong mate, I mean good posession would be in the high 60s/70s% mark....

• gresh1978
    @Chow don't think I will mate. Anyway I haven't been on for a while. Gold membership ran out and got fed up with the same ####
  • Chow
    gresh1978 wrote: »
    @Chow don't think I will mate. Anyway I haven't been on for a while. Gold membership ran out and got fed up with the same ####
    @gresh1978 Ah that's a shame. I've been playing lots of NBA/Rocket League recently - it's not that I'm not enjoying FIFA, but Rocket League has been incredibly fun for a free game.
  • l OwNz l
    486 posts An Exciting Prospect
    After reading this earlier this year, i made a promising start in possession play. However as the months progressed i had a dip in performance, and resulted in bang the ball up the pitch quickly. The reason? My opponents where much better, i kept hanging at the 5th division, and was stuck.

After re-reading this and follow possesion above a quick move up the pitch religiously im in the form of my fifa life :smile: just promoted to div 3 :) thanks for this guide @Chow
  • Chow
    @l OwNz l

Glad it's helped! :)

I'm curious, what's your current team?
  • l OwNz l
    486 posts An Exciting Prospect
    @Chow i rotate between 2 squads.

my NIF team

pitch-2646187.jpg

used this bundes bbva hybrid but sold it now.
    pitch-2619245.jpg

the best i ever had :)

pitch-2629847.jpg
  • Chow
    @l OwNz l

That bottom team looks ridiculous. I was close to being able to afford Messi this year but alas, still yet to try Messi/Ronaldo in any FUT. :(

But it's fine, I shall be picking up TOTS Kaka tonight/tomorrow.
  • Chow
    @l OwNz l

Following up yesterday's reply, I bought the team: :)

fFBSzO9.png
This discussion has been closed.