Chow's Guide To Possession Football

Comments

• Chow wrote: »
    @jonnyeustace95

They both look like very well balanced teams...if I were to make any changes, I'd probably switch Reus out for a taller man up top in the Bundesliga team, someone like Lewandowski, or even SIF Dost - this will give you a different option if you need to go more direct.

This is a personal thing, but I don't like Alba IRL, so I'd probably replace him with Coentrao (who I think is one of the best defensive fullbacks in the game), or even someone like SIF Tremoulinas.

I was thinking about trying some target men out. Who would you say are the best target men that are good enough technically? regardless of budget and league.

I haven't used Coentrao but I set my fullbacks to always overlap and prefer attacking fullbacks or all rounders. I think he might be better defensively but could limit me going forward.
  • Smoothino
    1334 posts Professional
    Chow, can you recommend a spanish possession orientated team 4231 1 thats not too expensive? Most emphasis being on the cams??
  • Dohva56
    250 posts Sunday League Hero
    @Chow So, i've been using this formation & playstyle for 3 weeks, sometime i feel like i've got better and sometimes i feel like i'm worse xD, there is some games where i dont even get to the 3rd half, even when the opponent isnt forcing possession sometimes i just cant pass his defense and i dont get that many chances, also i noticed that whenever one of my friends try using this formation he cant do anything with it and says it's really bad, so maybe this formation & playstyle is "harder" to use than other ones?
    The best match i've pulled out was just insane especially the first half, i had 97% pass accuracy 5 goals, 15 shots ( started trying some longshots after getting the 5 goals xD) so i've seen from that game how much effective this playstyle is if used correctly. But im sure it require a lot of focus to be able to play like that... The second half tought i played really bad , scored 2 and conceded 1 et my pass accuracy dropped to 70%, i lost my focus on the game and i feel its pretty bad, its hard to stay Focused while playing a lot of matches per day.
    I'd like to know your tought about this, can you maintain the same level of playing if you do a lot of matches the same day?
  • Cyklon
    2721 posts Fans' Favourite
    Great guide mate, thanks for the time you put in to that, helped me loads :smile: )

Sold up all my toty and IF's at the right time and finally got a full legend squad now prices have plummeted, packed Brehme, Kluviert and Baresi as well this year so pleased for a change !

Would this midfield work ok ?

Laudrup is nailed on for me as he's amazing at creating, Vieria as CDM works well in that role in my hybrid but not sure about Effenberg at rcm ?
    My other options would be Roy Keane now he's dropped in price, Mattheus (if I sold Baresi), Rui Costa at RCM ?
    Any thoughts ? (Can't afford Ruud !)

Swapped out Desailly for Blanc now and will probably be selling Baresi to buy another midfielder I think, depending what you think would be the best fit for the RCM

I've heard great things about Mattheus, but his price would use up all my coins (and Baresi!)
    Same workrates as Schweinsteiner so may be the best for the Box to Box role ?
    fLe5LTE.png
  • Smoothino
    1334 posts Professional
    Chow, can you recommend a spanish possession orientated team 4231 1 thats not too expensive? Most emphasis being on the cams??
  • Smoothino
    1334 posts Professional
    Edit, keeping possession isnt a problem its creating chances
  • Chow
    2525 posts Fans' Favourite
    Apologies to @Smoothino, @jonnyeustace95, @Dohva56 and @Cyklon, I'll get back to all of you tomorrow, been enjoying a couple of days off since my exams have finished.
  • Cyklon
    2721 posts Fans' Favourite
    Chow wrote: »
    Apologies to @Smoothino, @jonnyeustace95, @Dohva56 and @Cyklon, I'll get back to all of you tomorrow, been enjoying a couple of days off since my exams have finished.

No worries mate, hope all went well with exams
  • Smoothino
    1334 posts Professional
    No worries Chow, built this played one game and loved it...thoughts?

Hero castro
    86 isco sif cazorla 89 silva
    fabregas matic
  • Chow
    edited June 2015
    @jonnyeustace95

For me, the best target men have probably been SIF Dzeko, IF Giroud, and SIF Dost. Dost isn't a good passer, so I'd probably ignore him and go with the other two, who are also more mobile, and arguably, better in the air (due to Dost's low jumping). I've heard good things about Ibra, TOTS Costa and TOTS Meier though, so if you wanted to splash the cash, you could try those three.

@Smoothino

How about something like this?

D8cUYgM.png

Obviously you can replace any of the 'special' cards with their NIF variants, or go for other cheaper options. For example, Isco is a great budget player at RAM or LAM...Xavi and Borja Valero could also fill in for Parejo since both fit the 'deep lying playmaker' bill, as well as give you a set piece option. There's plenty of options, so pick your poison. :)

If you're looking for more team ideas, feel free to check this place out: Liam's Squad Building Thread

@Dohva56

Glad to see you're still trying! I have a rule that if I lose twice in a row, I will stop playing that session and come back later. I also limit myself to 5 games a day. In all honesty, I don't think you can maintain the same level of concentration and thus you can't be as effective whilst playing possession football, over a long period of time. I have to be in the right mindset (calm) to play that sort of football, because you have to be disciplined (as you will have found out).

Don't be afraid to try different formations. The 4-2-3-1 itself is relatively defensive...so yes, against good defenders, it can be tough to carve out good chances. I know @Liam9lfc (writer of the 4-2-3-1 guide ft. @Sokker14) has also recently moved away from the 4-2-3-1 to the False 9 and 4-3-1-2, in order to try and create more chances. Both of them (especially Liam), play possession oriented football, though probably at a faster pace than myself, so feel free to ask them questions with regards to formation. At the end of the day, the best formation for you is the one you're most comfortable with, regardless of playstyle.

Keep the faith and I know you'll find more success!

@Cyklon

Can't say I've used any legends since I'm on PS4, but I will get back to you on that one once I've had a look at their stats.

Edit: I've had a look at Effenberg's stats, and on paper, he looks like a great fit at that RCM role. You already have your advanced playmaker in Laudrup, and Viera is a fantastic ball winner (again, on paper), so Effenberg fills the gap nicely as someone who can offer a threat going forward, as well as fill in when you don't have possession. Wish I could give you more in depth thoughts, but as I'm on PlayStation, legends are unavailable for me. :(
  • Chow
    @Smoothino

Sorry about the delay mate, finally got round to it, you actually posted your latest comment as I was making a team for you haha. That midfield 5 looks fantastic, I'm sure it'll play well. Matic is my favourite CDM this year by a country mile!
  • Smoothino
    1334 posts Professional
    Thanks for getting back man, would villa work as a wide cam?
  • Chow
    Smoothino wrote: »
    Thanks for getting back man, would villa work as a wide cam?
    @Smoothino

I chose him more for nostalgic purposes, but I think he could do a job as a wide or central CAM...play as a second striker of sorts due to his higher finishing. I mean he has 77 short passing which is just about good enough for a deeper role. Honestly, Isco is probably a more reliable option out wide though.
  • BlitzersNL
    24355 posts Club Captain
    Sweet guide
  • Busterlin
    354 posts Sunday League Hero
    Nice guide mate.
  • Ribasx
    174 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I play with this team
    4-1-2-1-2(2)
    Benzema-Torres---
    James.R

Iniesta-Modric

Khedira
    ---Alba-varane-Miranda-Alves

I have only 30K.What's your suggestion to me about players and instructions?
  • Chow
    @BlitzersNL @Busterlin

Thank you for the kind words.

@Ribasx

The team looks well balanced, though through personal preference, I'd probably replace Alba with Coentrao or SIF Tremoulinas...I don't like Alba IRL (he's a little rat). Also, your two CB's are very similar in that they are both quick, but lack strength. I'd switch out Miranda for someone like IF Mathieu, potentially even SIF Otamendi. Other than that, the players look good.

As for instructions, I haven't used the 4-1-2-1-2 (2) this year, but I'd definitely set the CDM to 'Cut Passing Lanes' and 'Stay Back While Attacking'. Since your full backs will be the ones providing the width, setting them to 'Always Overlap' may not be a bad idea, though leaving them on default is also viable. Certainly, I'd set the CAM/CM's to 'Free Roam' if you can...and potentially have Benzema as the 'Target Man', with Torres as the guy on shoulder of the last defender using the 'Get In Behind' instruction. I wouldn't advise having both on 'Get In Behind' as I feel 2 striker formations rely on at least one of the forwards to drop deeper and link up the play.

Hope this helps.
  • Ribasx
    @Chow thank you very much mate.I will try all of them
  • SaifR
    12842 posts Has That Special Something
    What are your thoughts on the 3-4-2-1 formation, @Chow?
  • PS-4-ADC
    835 posts Semi-Pro
    What is the best 2 striker formation for possession?
  • Chow
    SaifR wrote: »
    What are your thoughts on the 3-4-2-1 formation, @Chow?
    @SaifR

3-4-2-1 is my favourite 3 at the back formation this year. You can see my example Serie A team (in the OP) utilises the formation, mostly because Serie A wide men tend to be good two way players (Lulic, Asamoah, Lichsteiner, etc.)...

Certainly it's great for keeping possession in the opposition half since you have so many passing options, and even when you lose the ball, it's pretty easy to pressure your opponent into giving it away again.

The main thing to watch out for is OTT diagonals into the space left by having no fullbacks, thus I'd recommend manually switch to your wide CB or winger in anticipation of this pass when defending.

Instructions also seem to help. I like to set both wise men to 'Come back on defence' and 'Stay wide'...the rest is mostly preference.

Hope this helps.
  • SaifR
    12842 posts Has That Special Something
    Cheers Chow, started using it again and it's been fantastic. Been easy to keep possession with, and scoring goals is easy too due to the fact you have so many players forward. Having 3 defenders back makes it easier to defend counters too.

I've been using it to try and imitate Barcelona's shape when they're in possession in the opponent's half. Busquets often drops between the CBs, and the two full-backs push very high and wide. The front three play quite centrally, but the two full-backs provide genuine width so you can really stretch the pitch.

The team I used was this:

RB Ronaldo
    Suárez - RB Messi
    TOTS Marcelo - TOTY Iniesta - MOTM Rakitić - TOTY Lahm
    Mascherano - TOTS Piqué - TOTS Boateng
    Bravo

RM/LM & RF/LF all on 7 chem.

Instructions:
    Ronaldo: Press Backline
    Suárez: Press Backline, Drift Wide, Get In Behind
    Messi: Press Backline, Drift Wide
    Marcelo: Come Back On Defence, Stay Wide
    Iniesta: Free Roam
    Rakitić: Stay On Edge Of Box
    Lahm: Come Back On Defence, Stay Wide
    Mascherano: Stay Back
    Piqué: Push Forward (behave as CDM)
    Boateng: Stay Back

Did a great job of replicating Barcelona imo.
  • Chow
    @SaifR

That looks great. I'm currently torn between selling everyone and buying Messi (for the first time in any UT)...
  • @Chow do it! If you haven't used Messi before then you are in for a treat. If you had Neymar, Suarez and Messi (RW version) which formation do you think you'd play them in? I'm thinking about 4231 (2) and switching in-game to 4231 with Suarez ST, Neymar LAM, Messi CAM/RAM. Would this be good or do you think a 433 variant or 4321 would be better?
  • Smoothino
    1334 posts Professional
    Chow my team now is something special

TIF griezmann
    SIF LACAZETTE TOTS PAYET TOTS FEKIR
    84 POGBA TOTS SCHNEIDERLIN
  • Chow
    @jonnyeustace95

I've decided to do it, selling everyone tonight. I was potentially thinking something like this (I'd switch to a different formation in game):

ejLyVEH.png

Not only would it be the first time I'd be using Messi in any UT, it'd also be the first time I'm using Lahm and Robben this year. Let's hope I have the coins.
  • Hello Mr. Chow

I apologize if this is a question that has been asked and/or answered. Can you give me your thoughts on the 4-1-4-1 formation and the following team?

ST: Giroud/Carrol (Sub Falcao)

LM: Jarvis/Eriksen Attacking CM: Cazorla/Cesc B2B CM: Henderson/Herrera RM: Navas/Valencia
    CDM: Fernandinho/Cambiasso (Sub Ramires)
    LB: Gibbs/Shaw CB: Cahill/Jones/Kaboul/Jagielka RB: Walker/Clyne
    GK: Hart

I like using width and crossing to Carrol and Giroud, both of whom are really good headers. Could you also expand on dealing with high pressure a bit more? Especially for this formation?

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks
  • Chow
    @BluFF_1234 I'll get back to you properly tomorrow...however it's nice to see you utilising lots of underused players, namely Cambiasso and Eriksen - I still maintain that Eriksen's CAM upgrade is the best CAM I've used this year.
  • jonnyeustace95
    86 posts
    edited June 2015
    @Chow Nice! Messi at false nine would be amazing. I'm guessing your using that for chemistry reasons though. Only thing I'd change is Lahm. He has been brilliant for me in a formation with two CDMs but i think Schweinsteiger has more to offer as a single CDM.
    Post edited by jonnyeustace95 on
  • Ribasx
    edited June 2015
    @Chow u are really good man:)
    Post edited by Ribasx on
This discussion has been closed.