Chow's Guide To Possession Football

Comments

• Chow
    2525 posts Fans' Favourite
    Great guide mate. I can see you have Dost in one of you sample teams even though you said you could not make him work. Any chance that you will make a list of players that you have tried that have been really great for you and the possession playstyle? :smile:
    @Steffenmpedersen Ahhh, see I didn't have success with the first IF Dost. In the sample team however, I used SIF Dost, who played much better for me. He still lacked in the passing department, but his finishing was unreal...I remember the first night I tried SIF Dost, the first 9 shots I took with him all went in.

To find examples of players I recommend for each position, look under 'Playing Possession With Success', and then '① Players:'...under the description for each position, I list off players for that position that I've had success with, as well as chemistry styles you could try. If you still want more examples of players for specific positions, then let me know.

Glad you enjoyed the guide. :)
  • SaifR
    12842 posts Has That Special Something
    Ball playing CB in Boateng, great passing from all 5 midfielders, and the striker has 88 passing. Should be perfect ;)

9086b75309ac028257e407522566ca8e.png
  • Chow
    edited May 2015
    SaifR wrote: »
    Ball playing CB in Boateng, great passing from all 5 midfielders, and the striker has 88 passing. Should be perfect ;)

9086b75309ac028257e407522566ca8e.png
    @SaifR To be honest mate, when you have Ronaldo up top, you can play any style, you probably don't even have to concentrate, and you will have success because he's a 'get out of jail free' card. Never had anywhere near enough coins to grab his NIF, so I'm slightly jealous.

Anyways, yeah the team looks very well balanced...ball winner in Matic alongside arguably the best box to box man in the game, Modric. Two wingers that can cut in and shoot/pass, Isco Disco...yeah I like that team. Honestly the only change I'd make is Azpili over Luis, purely because I prefer defensive fullbacks, and Azpili's the best at that.

Hope it plays well for you. Let me know how Matic is, I've got a team ready for him but I'm waiting for his TOTS price to fall...can't afford to splash 500k+ on him.
  • SaifR
    Cheers Chow. I can afford the team right now, but I'm waiting to see if EA drop prices before I splash the coins. Looking forward to trying Ronaldo, he's the one player I've not used in UT this year. He looks incredible though, truly the complete forward.

And yeah I am considering Azpilicueta, although I like my full-backs to push forward and be adventurous. Marcelo & Dani Alves are my favourite full-backs. I'm not the biggest Filipe Luis fan though. He's the one player I'm not keen on in the whole team.
  • Chow
    Cheers Chow. I can afford the team right now, but I'm waiting to see if EA drop prices before I splash the coins. Looking forward to trying Ronaldo, he's the one player I've not used in UT this year. He looks incredible though, truly the complete forward.

And yeah I am considering Azpilicueta, although I like my full-backs to push forward and be adventurous. Marcelo & Dani Alves are my favourite full-backs. I'm not the biggest Filipe Luis fan though. He's the one player I'm not keen on in the whole team.
    @SaifR Well...remember when I said I was waiting for Matic's price to drop? Pulled him in the new online cup reward pack lol. Forgot to take a screenshot of the pack, but here he is at the back of my club, untradeable of course. Still in shock:

SEQyxqw.png

• SaifR
    Chow wrote: »

@SaifR Well...remember when I said I was waiting for Matic's price to drop? Pulled him in the new online cup reward pack lol. Forgot to take a screenshot of the pack, but here he is at the back of my club, untradeable of course. Still in shock:

SEQyxqw.png

Wow! That's great man! Let me know how he is please!
  • ForzaJuveee
    328 posts Sunday League Hero
    http://www.futhead.com/15/squads/32645134/

How would you change this team? Great guide btw! :)
  • Chow

@ForzaJuveee Thank you. :)

I love the 4-1-4-1 formation, and to be honest, your team looks very well balanced as it is. I'd potentially switch Mandzukic for Benzema, or even Suarez if you have the coins, since both of them are better passers, and it's important that your striker is a competent passer so they can help link up the play.

Other than that, the most recent IF Rakitic that came out this week is a good bet at CM for either Modric or Iniesta tbh. But like I said, it's well constructed as it is.
  • ForzaJuveee
    328 posts Sunday League Hero

I love the 4-1-4-1 formation, and to be honest, your team looks very well balanced as it is. I'd potentially switch Mandzukic for Benzema, or even Suarez if you have the coins, since both of them are better passers, and it's important that your striker is a competent passer so they can help link up the play.

Other than that, the most recent IF Rakitic that came out this week is a good bet at CM for either Modric or Iniesta tbh. But like I said, it's well constructed as it is.

Will change Benzema to the squad but I dont have money for any other changes :/
  • Chow

Will change Benzema to the squad but I dont have money for any other changes :/
    @ForzaJuveee Ahh ok, well best of luck with Benzema, I'm sure he'll play well for you!

• Dohva56
    250 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited May 2015
    Hello, i just read your guide and i find it really interesting, thank you very much for writing it, i'll try to practice to possession style :smile:
    I'd like to know your tought about these two teams for this play style :
    its my actual team:
    http://www.futhead.com/15/squads/33008581/
    And here is one im planning to do :
    http://www.futhead.com/15/squads/33068797/
    Wich one do you think would be better with possession play style?
    Ps: i dont know how to screen the squads from futhead :/
    Post edited by Dohva56 on
  • Chow
    @Dohva56 Hey man, I'm actually heading off for an earlier night as I have an exam tomorrow morning. Will reply to your comment properly tomorrow after my exam, but yeah, just wanted to let you know that I'm not ignoring you. :)
  • Steffenmpedersen
    153 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    @Steffenmpedersen Ahhh, see I didn't have success with the first IF Dost. In the sample team however, I used SIF Dost, who played much better for me. He still lacked in the passing department, but his finishing was unreal...I remember the first night I tried SIF Dost, the first 9 shots I took with him all went in.

To find examples of players I recommend for each position, look under 'Playing Possession With Success', and then '① Players:'...under the description for each position, I list off players for that position that I've had success with, as well as chemistry styles you could try. If you still want more examples of players for specific positions, then let me know.

Glad you enjoyed the guide. :)

Ahh cool thanks. I Loved SIF Dost when i played him in a slow buildup 4231(2) - his finishing is insane indeed. im considering giving SIF Dzeko a go as target man in a possession team.

Cool to know that you have tried the players you have mentioned :) under "①", thought it was just examples.

Thanks again. :smiley:
  • Dohva56
    edited May 2015
    @Dohva56 Hey man, I'm actually heading off for an earlier night as I have an exam tomorrow morning. Will reply to your comment properly tomorrow after my exam, but yeah, just wanted to let you know that I'm not ignoring you. :)
    No probleme, take your time, i'd like to know if its okay to play a 4231 while having 2 winger at CAM ( so they 'll have only 4 CHEM)?
  • Chow
    Ok @Dohva56 finally managed to find some time to reply to you properly, apologies for the delay.

Firstly, thank you for your kind words, glad you enjoyed the guide. In terms of the teams you linked, I honestly think both will work. Now I'm biased in that 4-2-3-1 (1) is my favourite formation in the game, however your 'False 9' team could certainly fit into a possession style of play just fine. Look at it this way, both teams have good passers in midfield, both teams have a ball winner, and both teams have a guy up top who can finish, pass, hold it up themselves or run in behind. In summary, they're both well balanced.

The only change I'd potentially make is replacing Evra with IF Lichsteiner, or even NIF Lichsteiner (on lower chemistry). But other than that, I like the look of both teams, though I'd pick the 4-2-3-1 team based on my preference for that formation. Try both, see what you feel most comfortable with can go from there. At the end of the day, the best team is the one that works well for YOU.

With regards to your question about playing wingers at CAM on 4 chem, I've actually had success with it when I have tried it. I used TIF Silva at RAM for over 150 games and he still played really well there. Another option is to build the team in a 4-2-3-1 (2) formation so all your players get full chemistry, and then once you get into a game, go into the team management and switch back to the 4-2-3-1 (1) in game, set instructions to your liking, etc. In fact, that's what I do with a lot of my teams since I too enjoy using wingers in a more central role.

Hope I've answered your queries sufficiently. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. :)

• Maher
    183 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Great guide man.
    How is TIF silva in cam position he doesn't get full chemistry.
    Plus I planning to buy TOTS matic alongside yaya I know they great defensively but do you recommend one of the cdm is HM workrate or MH and MM is fine.
    Thanks mate.
  • Dohva56
    edited June 2015
    Thanks for your answer, so i tryed using my actual team (the 4-3-3(5)) on a 4231 and i really love the 4231 i had neymar with 4 chem as CAM & Bale 3 chem as ST but i felt they was doing better than in the 4-3-3(5) probably because of the position, i still have some probs tought in the build up of my attacks there is sometime when i just cant find an oppening and i lose the ball, defensively having 2 CDM is really good and it helped me a lot to defend
    Also, i dont have a good Pass completition % it goes from 60 to 70% (sometime 80+ if my opponent dont press that much), sometime even after a successfull passe i loose the ball as soon as i control it, i tryied to play the advanced passing skill games but it didnt really help
    what can i do to improve my passing?
    Post edited by Dohva56 on
  • Hello Mr. Chow

When you are faced with the following two scenarios what do you do?

1) An opponent who is high pressuring the **** out of you, and is really good at it too. (change formation? bring on subs? etc.)

2) You have just taken a 1 goal lead with 20 minutes to go, what do you do? (go defensive? change formation? bring on subs? etc.)

I am asking because I was in a gold cup final with a 4-1-2-1-2 and my opponent used a 4-3-3 (4) and he completely dominated the game, I couldn't get out of my own half with all his high pressure. And I am also not too sure what I should do when I take a slender lead late in a game when I use 4-1-4-1.

Any feedback is appreciated
    Thanks
  • Chow
    @Maher @Dohva56 @BluFF_1234 My final exam is tomorrow morning at 9.30am, but I'll be able to get back to all of you properly when that is over!
  • SaifR
    Who would be your ideal 3 lone CDMs in a 4-3-3 (5) Chow?
  • Chow
    Maher wrote: »
    Great guide man.
    How is TIF silva in cam position he doesn't get full chemistry.
    Plus I planning to buy TOTS matic alongside yaya I know they great defensively but do you recommend one of the cdm is HM workrate or MH and MM is fine.
    Thanks mate.
    @Maher Honestly, his stats are so good that you won't feel the chemistry difference with a player like him. Still felt super agile, one of the best dribblers I've used this year, and he can definitely pass/finish with the best.

In terms of a CDM alongside Matic, I'd say you can afford to have any of those three work rates (H/M, M/H or M/M) alongside him, since Matic will be the one that sits back. H/M will offer you more going forward, maybe even someone who will make late runs into the box and pop up with a few goals - if you like the extra option from deep, this is the way to go. If you prefer a more natural 'deep' playmaker, or even another ball winner for extra defensive coverage, go M/M or M/H. That said, player stats are more important than work rates, so if you want someone in particular to fill that CDM spot, but they don't have the 'ideal' work rates, use them regardless.
  • Chow
    Dohva56 wrote: »
    Thanks for your answer, so i tryed using my actual team (the 4-3-3(5)) on a 4231 and i really love the 4231 i had neymar with 4 chem as CAM & Bale 3 chem as ST but i felt they was doing better than in the 4-3-3(5) probably because of the position, i still have some probs tought in the build up of my attacks there is sometime when i just cant find an oppening and i lose the ball, defensively having 2 CDM is really good and it helped me a lot to defend
    Also, i dont have a good Pass completition % it goes from 60 to 70% (sometime 80+ if my opponent dont press that much), sometime even after a successfull passe i loose the ball as soon as i control it, i tryied to play the advanced passing skill games but it didnt really help
    what can i do to improve my passing?
    @Dohva56 Honestly, the way to improve your passing is practice, practice, practice in proper online matches, or even against World Class/Legendary AI. Get into the habit of thinking 2/3 passes ahead - at times you will want to play slowly and be patient, but there are also times where you will have to produce a one touch passing sequence to create a chance. You will learn when to pick up the pace, and when to slow down with experience in playing the game. I'd love to give you a better answer, but that's the single most effective way to improving your passing.
  • Chow
    BluFF_1234 wrote: »
    Hello Mr. Chow

When you are faced with the following two scenarios what do you do?

1) An opponent who is high pressuring the **** out of you, and is really good at it too. (change formation? bring on subs? etc.)

2) You have just taken a 1 goal lead with 20 minutes to go, what do you do? (go defensive? change formation? bring on subs? etc.)

I am asking because I was in a gold cup final with a 4-1-2-1-2 and my opponent used a 4-3-3 (4) and he completely dominated the game, I couldn't get out of my own half with all his high pressure. And I am also not too sure what I should do when I take a slender lead late in a game when I use 4-1-4-1.

Any feedback is appreciated
    Thanks
    @BluFF_1234

1) Please refer to the 'HIGH PRESSURE' part of my guide within the 'DEALING WITH VARIOUS TACTICS' section. If you have read this already and still aren't satisfied, let me know. Honestly, making subs/changing formation changes from game to game depending on what you're faced with...there is no set rule for all matches against 'high pressure'.

2) Personally, I would never go 'Ultra Defensive' or 'Park The Bus', since sitting deep will just invite pressure from your opponent. The one thing I like to do when I take the lead, is control the tempo of the match, and by that, I mean slow it down. Take control. Keep the ball for long spells - and by this I don't mean waste time by passing it around your back four...but try to build pressure by limiting your opponent's time on the ball. That said, I do like to bring on more defensive minded players at around the 60/70 minute mark...In Form James Milner almost always comes on for me as a wide midfielder to provide defensive support out wide, and someone like In Form Fellaini is a nice option for CDM since the extra height can be useful when dealing with set pieces. It's important to sub out players with low stamina (Xabi Alonso, to give you an example), otherwise they'll be completely ineffective come the last 10 minutes of the game.

In terms of formation changes...use whatever you're comfortable with. The only time I change formation is if I'm struggling against a 3atb or 5atb team - ie. if a 3atb team is pinning me in my own half due to the sheer numbers they have in attack, I'll switch to 3-4-2-1 to try and counter act this by regaining control of the midfield.

Hope this helps.
  • Chow
    Who would be your ideal 3 lone CDMs in a 4-3-3 (5) Chow?
    @SaifR

Expensive option: TOTS Nemanja Matić
    Budget option: Valon Behrami
    Something different: In Form Sergio Busquets

In lone CDM formations, I always go for players that are capable of sitting in front and protecting the defence. The three I've listed, particularly Matić and Busquets, are all excellent passers, giving you the option to use them as a pivot in your attacks. Oh, and all are over 6'0'' in height.
  • SaifR
    Because I'm always trying to play a possession game, my CDMs rarely have to sit in front of my defence, they're always frantically chasing back on counter attacks. Do you not feel slower CDMs can hinder you?
  • Dohva56
    @Chow Thank you very much dude, i feel that i improved a lot since i started reading your guide, that would be good if sometime you stream some games so we can se better how you get yourself off certain situations tought :smiley:
  • @Chow How do these look?

b68psm.png

34ryqld.png
  • Chow
    Because I'm always trying to play a possession game, my CDMs rarely have to sit in front of my defence, they're always frantically chasing back on counter attacks. Do you not feel slower CDMs can hinder you?
    @SaifR Not at all, in fact I believe that pace isn't a 'necessity' in your CDMs at all. Their role is to break up attacks, thus positional awareness and defensive capabilities, as well as short passing to distribute it to better ball players are all far more important than pace. It goes without saying, especially for slower DM's, that you should be hitting L1 to sent them on a run forward at all, since as you said, you will need them to remain in position to stop counter attacks. Sometimes you will get caught out high up the pitch, and that's why I also like to set both my fullbacks to Stay Back While Attacking.
  • Chow
    Dohva56 wrote: »
    @Chow Thank you very much dude, i feel that i improved a lot since i started reading your guide, that would be good if sometime you stream some games so we can se better how you get yourself off certain situations tought :smiley:
    I'm planning on uploading a full gameplay of a match I had in the Community League last week where I put in one of the best performances I've had all year. In it, it shows just how effective possession football can be, not only in controlling the tempo of the match, but also in mitigating your opponent's playstyle.

Glad you enjoyed the guide nonetheless!
  • Chow
    @jonnyeustace95

They both look like very well balanced teams...if I were to make any changes, I'd probably switch Reus out for a taller man up top in the Bundesliga team, someone like Lewandowski, or even SIF Dost - this will give you a different option if you need to go more direct.

This is a personal thing, but I don't like Alba IRL, so I'd probably replace him with Coentrao (who I think is one of the best defensive fullbacks in the game), or even someone like SIF Tremoulinas.
This discussion has been closed.