Chow's Guide To Possession Football

Comments

• Chow
    2525 posts Fans' Favourite
    BackDaddy wrote: »
    Thanks mate, ended up giving it a go for a game or 2 but found it too narrow and wasn't able to create space like I could with false 9, may consider 3421 but I've used 352 and find lm and rm wasted there, plus harder to include the players I want

Thanks again
    @BackDaddy I set instructions for the RM/LM to "Stay Wide"...let the front 3 do the work in central areas, and if your RM/LM hug the touchline, they will find space in behind the defence. They are also there to cover the wider areas back on defence, which is why I chose the Serie A, since they have access to players that can go both ways like Lichsteiner and MOTM Lulic. Obviously they won't get as many touches as other players on the pitch, but they do get involved nonetheless. That's been my experience anyway.

Then again formation is all preference, so use what you feel comfortable with. :)
  • Chow what would you say is the best 433 variation using the EA possesion tactic? Would it work with the 433 (4) in your opinion??
  • Chow
    edited April 2015
    Chow what would you say is the best 433 variation using the EA possesion tactic? Would it work with the 433 (4) in your opinion??
    @Sir Linvoy of Frattonshire I like to use a different formation for each squad I have, so currently I have a 4-3-3 (2) Bundesliga side, and a 4-3-3 (5) Primeira Liga side. I'd honestly recommend those two variations of the 4-3-3 over the others, since each provides a lone 'pivot' CDM, thus in my opinion provide the most balance.

Then again, it's all preference, I'd switch it up in game and see what works for you.
  • Chow wrote: »
    Chow what would you say is the best 433 variation using the EA possesion tactic? Would it work with the 433 (4) in your opinion??
    @Sir Linvoy of Frattonshire I like to use a different formation for each squad I have, so currently I have a 4-3-3 (2) Bundesliga side, and a 4-3-3 (5) Primeira Liga side. I'd honestly recommend those two variations of the 4-3-3 over the others, since each provides a lone 'pivot' CDM, thus in my opinion provide the most balance.

Then again, it's all preference, I'd switch it up in game and see what works for you.

I can not for the life of me get False 9 to work...tried so many times and i really struggle with it. Starting to run out of ideas.

• Chow
    Chow wrote: »

I can not for the life of me get False 9 to work...tried so many times and i really struggle with it. Starting to run out of ideas.
    @Sir Linvoy of Frattonshire If it doesn't work for you, don't fret. Don't try to force something when there are plenty of other formations available! :D

Personally, I know I struggle with narrow formations like the 4-3-2-1, and 4-3-1-2, so I avoid using them.
  • Dunk
    2012 posts Fans' Favourite
    Fantastic read, great stuff and a class input!!

It's a part of FIFA I've never been comfortable with at all. I've always had this direct fast tempo'd approach (Not with pacey players necessarily ) but it's the way a lot of people play to be honest. I'm interested to try out possession in 4-3-1-2, It's the best formation I've used for keeping the ball and completing passes. (I'll post my nexus just to prove my possession woes :D )

664f058ce3ad0799e58126e6afa5ae9e.png

I see 46% Possession and I cringe, like at most half times when the stats appear I know I've had 50+% :lol:

Do you think it can work in 4-3-1-2, let alone any formation? I'm not too keen on 4-2-3-1 this FIFA it feels very open and with the high pressure and spaced out players it's harder to break down. so for a wingerless formation I think i'd be using 4-3-1-2. Maybe a team like this?

3e435277f0eb4676d7f8ae7f7d7e6347.png

Either way it's going to be difficult for me to adjust but that ugly stat on my nexus/futscope needs changing haha
  • javierignacio23
    29 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Videos ?? :(
  • Dunk
    0cf9b38bf781c557316dd1e9312a3336.png

First game with 4-3-1-2 taking a more passing patient approach :D
  • xciljw
    5017 posts Big Money Move
    Dunk wrote: »
    0cf9b38bf781c557316dd1e9312a3336.png

First game with 4-3-1-2 taking a more passing patient approach :D

Looks really decent. With some more practice you will make it till 65% and 90%. The formation suits the style of playing with all players having multiple passing options. :)
  • Chow
    edited April 2015
    Fantastic read, great stuff and a class input!!

It's a part of FIFA I've never been comfortable with at all. I've always had this direct fast tempo'd approach (Not with pacey players necessarily ) but it's the way a lot of people play to be honest. I'm interested to try out possession in 4-3-1-2, It's the best formation I've used for keeping the ball and completing passes. (I'll post my nexus just to prove my possession woes :D )

664f058ce3ad0799e58126e6afa5ae9e.png

I see 46% Possession and I cringe, like at most half times when the stats appear I know I've had 50+% :lol:

Do you think it can work in 4-3-1-2, let alone any formation? I'm not too keen on 4-2-3-1 this FIFA it feels very open and with the high pressure and spaced out players it's harder to break down. so for a wingerless formation I think i'd be using 4-3-1-2. Maybe a team like this?

3e435277f0eb4676d7f8ae7f7d7e6347.png

Either way it's going to be difficult for me to adjust but that ugly stat on my nexus/futscope needs changing haha.
    Thank you for the kind words @Dunk! :D

Personally, I don't get on with the 4-3-1-2 because width is a key component in keeping possession (imo), since it always gives you an outlet ball to the wing, whether it be a switch of play, or down the line from your full back. However, I know other forumers who do play possession football, and have success using the 4-3-1-2, so it can be done.

As you've said, a lot of people don't really play possession football, more 'fast passing football'. Having the right mindset is the first step towards 'converting', for lack of a better word.

In terms of your team, it looks good, though I'd probably replace Matuidi or Pogba with TOTS Gonalons when he comes out, since a proper ball winner would improve the balance of that midfield imo.

Whatever happens, keep the faith, I know you can switch your style, up those FUTScope/Nexus stats and still be successful! :yum:

Edit: Just saw your update post with the match stats. Looks great! Remember, in terms of actually winning, you shouldn't aim to hit a certain stat each game - obviously I like to hit 60% possession/80% pass accuracy each game, but play what's in front of you. Sometimes, your opponent will be very good at pressing high, making it difficult for you to maintain those sort of stats. Keep going!
  • Dunk
    edited April 2015
    @Chow Played 3 or 4 since that game and probably averaging 55-60 % poss and 70-85% passing.

It is a mindset thing, Like i'm just telling myself to not go forward with every pass and just pass for passings sake :D

also, nexus rating went to 86 already haha!
  • WaCoug615
    9651 posts League Winner
    It is a mindset thing, Like i'm just telling myself to not go forward with every pass and just pass for passings sake :D

This is it, right here. Boiled down perfectly. So many people online ping wild always-forward passes around and sweat their way to enough tackles/steals to win the possession battle and say "I play possession football" but it's really easy to tell who does and who doesn't because few really live by this thought you posted above IMO ;)
  • Chow
    WaCoug615 wrote: »

This is it, right here. Boiled down perfectly. So many people online ping wild always-forward passes around and sweat their way to enough tackles/steals to win the possession battle and say "I play possession football" but it's really easy to tell who does and who doesn't because few really live by this thought you posted above IMO ;)
    @WaCoug615 @Dunk Absolutely, there's a big difference between quick passing football, and possession football. I'd say the majority of players online play 'quick passing football', in that as soon as they win the ball, they look to pass forward. Obviously, better passers/players will usually have more possession, but that doesn't necessarily equate to playing 'possession' football...'possession' football is much slower, it's more methodical, you have to be willing to go backwards/sideways to recycle possession.
  • BluFF_1234
    6 posts Ball Boy
    @Chow

Hey

I had two questions, I play a 4231 (3 CAM) formation and was wondering what should I be looking for in my wide CAMs (premier league), it wasn't really talked about in the guide.

And what are your thoughts on the two CDM spots, Is it good to have a holder (Matic) and a deep-lying playmaker (Arteta)? Or even a holder (McCarthy) +box-to-box midfielder (Ramsey)

Any feedback is greatly appreciated, cheers for the guide

Have a good day.
  • JNO
    19 posts Ball Boy
    This and the 4231 thread have brought back my enjoyment of FUT this past week. Got four teams and they've all performed. And I've tried some players in positions I think you should consider for the guide.

IF Alaba at cdm is just phenomenal!! Seriously try it.

IF Herrera as a box to box cdm has been amazing. Smooth on the ball and can pick out the passes.

Also I think you already mentioned him but Modric as one of the cdms in 4231 is a revelation. Hope he gets a tots!
  • BackDaddy
    3268 posts National Call-Up
    Hey chow, have u ever used any 5atb formations? I've refused to for obvious reasons but while fiddling around making squads I saw 5221 which looks basically like 3421 but with wing backs instead of lm rm... With the right wing backs overlapping do u think this would be a good possession formation or do u think the gaps and only 2 in the middle will prevent the ability to switch play and create space without relying on counters etc?
  • Chow
    Apologies for taking a while to get back to everyone, been pretty busy as of late with exams just around the corner, and coursework deadlines to meet!

@BluFF_1234 Personally in the wide CAM spots, I like to go with players who you think will utilise having more space, the best. For instance, someone like David Silva - he's a great passer, and while he's almost an amazing dribbler, sometimes the middle of the pitch is too crowded, and you won't be able to use these skills to their fullest, before getting pushed off the ball.

Moreover, I tend to put someone like Eriksen in the middle, since he has decent shooting and a high weak foot, thus can go either way in central areas, which is a great tool to have.

In term of a dual CDM combo, I like to have one ball winner/holder (like Matic), and then any other type of CDM, whether it be box-to-box, or a deep lying playmaker, alongside them. It all depends on the rest of your team really, sometimes you a team could do with an extra man forward, thus a box-to-box player is more appropriate. But in general, the "ball winner" is the most important component.

@JNO Glad you're enjoying playing possession football. Unfortunately I'm saving for TOTS, so I'll have to pass on IF Alaba, but I've heard good things about him at CDM. I do love IF Herrera and Modric though.

@BackDaddy I tried 5-2-1-2 once this year, to try and replicate the Van Gaal philosophy. I'll try to find the image of it now...

Welp, can't find it, but I made it when IF Young's LWB card came out. Paired him alongside Carrick (on 6 chem) in a hybrid, and it actually worked pretty well. The key to making the 5atb work is setting both your wings backs to "always overlap" via the instructions - they are key to providing width for your team, which in turn will allow you to keep the ball for longer spells. Without that width, holding the ball with an inferior number of midfilders in the middle of the pitch can be a struggle.

The reason I like the 3-4-2-1 is because you can generate a lot of pressure by pinning your opponent back in their half. Having not only 4 midfielders, but also 2 forwards that chase back makes it difficult for your opponent to play their way out of defence, forcing them to often go long/down the wings.

Hope this helps, if anyone has anymore questions, feel free to ask! :)
  • BackDaddy
    3268 posts National Call-Up
    @BackDaddy I tried 5-2-1-2 once this year, to try and replicate the Van Gaal philosophy. I'll try to find the image of it now...

Welp, can't find it, but I made it when IF Young's LWB card came out. Paired him alongside Carrick (on 6 chem) in a hybrid, and it actually worked pretty well. The key to making the 5atb work is setting both your wings backs to "always overlap" via the instructions - they are key to providing width for your team, which in turn will allow you to keep the ball for longer spells. Without that width, holding the ball with an inferior number of midfilders in the middle of the pitch can be a struggle.

The reason I like the 3-4-2-1 is because you can generate a lot of pressure by pinning your opponent back in their half. Having not only 4 midfielders, but also 2 forwards that chase back makes it difficult for your opponent to play their way out of defence, forcing them to often go long/down the wings.

Hope this helps, if anyone has anymore questions, feel free to ask! :)

Cheers for the feedback, I tried it and had the wing backs overlapping, the formation worked well I had around 60 possession and I won 3 out of 3 games but in the end I just didn't like the big gap in the middle for the 2 cm's to work in. It's good for creating space but I prefer shorter passing so I went back to a 433.

I understand what you are saying about 3421 and I struggle every time I play against it but to use the players I want chemistry wise it doesn't work for me
  • JNO
    19 posts Ball Boy
    Yeah, alaba is risky. I don't think he'll get a tots card though so I went for it. Got MOTM toure for the same reason..
  • zizu10
    3 posts
    edited May 2015
    Whats the different between high pressure and team pressing
    Post edited by zizu10 on
  • Trikky
    87 posts Park Captain
    Is there any chance that you are giving me the instructions for the 433 (2) system?
  • Chow
    edited May 2015
    Trikky wrote: »
    Is there any chance that you are giving me the instructions for the 433 (2) system?
    @Trikky I like to set the CDM to 'Stay Back While Attacking' and 'Cut Off Passing Lanes' - imo, it's imperative to the balance of the formation that your CDM sits back. Other than this, I'd say it's all preference...I like my CM's and CAM's to be on 'Free Roam' for any formation, to allow them to interchange. Finally, I like the striker to 'Stay Central', especially they're a target man, but again, it's all preference. Hope this helps!
  • Chow
    zizu10 wrote: »
    Whats the different between high pressure and team pressing?
    @zizu10 If you're referring to the tactics that you can use via the D-Pad in game, I can explain:

The 'high pressure' tactic is basically a custom tactic that EA have already provided for you, like a template. It sets your team's custom tactics figures to the preset for 'high pressure' - in the case of high pressure, these figures are:

BUILD UP PLAY
    Speed: 50
    Passing: 50
    Positioning: Organised
    CHANCE CREATION
    Passing: 75
    Crossing: 50
    Shooting: 75
    Positioning: Organised
    DEFENCE
    Pressure: 85
    Aggression: 75
    Team Width: 25
    Defender Line: Offside Trap

You can adjust these to your liking in the team management screen via 'custom tactics', before you enter a game. What I like to do is to challenge the TOTW, and edit the tactics in that menu (I don't actually play the TOTW challenge), cause then you don't have a time limit. These tactics stay for that session of Ultimate Team, but if you leave Ultimate Team/re-enter, you'll have to re-do these tactics. Or, you can just use the presets provided by EA, such as 'high pressure'.

As for 'team pressing', I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's a temporary tactic that works in the same way as the 'offside trap' (the temporary tactic in game via the d-pad, not the one listed above next to 'defender line')...ie. it causes the whole team to push up the pitch temporarily.

Personally, I like to use the 'possession' tactic preset provided by EA. Hope this helps!
  • Smoothino
    1334 posts Professional
    Chow, thoughts on this midfield and attack in the 4231 1

Ageuro
    sif coutinho rooney if silva
    fernandinho toure
    ??
  • Chow
    Smoothino wrote: »

Aguero
    SIF Coutinho Rooney IF Silva
    Fernandinho Toure
    ??
    @Smoothino Personally I don't feel like you have an out and out ball winner at CDM in Fernandinho or Yaya...both are more box to box. That said, if you like to play more attacking football, then that pairing can work...it's just preference. If it was me, I'd replace Fernandinho with a Schneiderlin or a Matic (NIF or TOTS for either would work. As for your 3 CAM's, I've tried all of them and had success with all of them. Aguero is a match winner, so there's nothing that needs changing their either.

Honestly, the only other thing I'd change would be to move SIF Coutinho to the right, Aguero out on the left, put IF Silva in the middle and then Rooney up top. I actually think Aguero is more effective out at wide attacking mid where there's more space for him to run into, rather than up front where he'll be man marked by CB's and CDM's. Rooney is stronger and more well rounded, plus will drop back to help link up the play when he's up there on his own. IF Silva is so good on the ball that he's probably more effective in the middle pulling the strings. Again, it's all preference, so try different combinations and see what works for you.

Hope this helps!
  • Smoothino
    1334 posts Professional

Aguero
    Fernandinho Toure
    ??
    @Smoothino Personally I don't feel like you have an out and out ball winner at CDM in Fernandinho or Yaya...both are more box to box. That said, if you like to play more attacking football, then that pairing can work...it's just preference. If it was me, I'd replace Fernandinho with a Schneiderlin or a Matic (NIF or TOTS for either would work. As for your 3 CAM's, I've tried all of them and had success with all of them. Aguero is a match winner, so there's nothing that needs changing their either.

Honestly, the only other thing I'd change would be to move SIF Coutinho to the right, Aguero out on the left, put IF Silva in the middle and then Rooney up top. I actually think Aguero is more effective out at wide attacking mid where there's more space for him to run into, rather than up front where he'll be man marked by CB's and CDM's. Rooney is stronger and more well rounded, plus will drop back to help link up the play when he's up there on his own. IF Silva is so good on the ball that he's probably more effective in the middle pulling the strings. Again, it's all preference, so try different combinations and see what works for you.

Hope this helps!

I will try aguero at cam always thought he would be better as a lone striker but will move around the team, i put silva at ram as you had him there
  • Chow

Aguero
    Fernandinho Toure
    ??

Hope this helps!

I will try aguero at cam always thought he would be better as a lone striker but will move around the team, i put silva at ram as you had him there
    @Smoothino TIF Silva was forced wide for me purely because UP Eriksen is my favourite CCAM...that 5* weak foot in the middle of the pitch makes all the difference. But yeah, switch things around and see what works.
  • Steffenmpedersen
    153 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Looks like a great guide. I am looking forward to read it :)
  • Smoothino
    1334 posts Professional

Aguero
    Fernandinho Toure
    ??

Hope this helps!

@Smoothino TIF Silva was forced wide for me purely because UP Eriksen is my favourite CCAM...that 5* weak foot in the middle of the pitch makes all the difference. But yeah, switch things around and see what works.

Will do, i did like eriksen when i had him, sif coutinho is just awesome though. You think eriksen is better than silva?
  • Steffenmpedersen
    153 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Great guide mate. I can see you have Dost in one of you sample teams even though you said you could not make him work. Any chance that you will make a list of players that you have tried that have been really great for you and the possession playstyle? :smile:
This discussion has been closed.