Chow's Guide To Possession Football

Comments

• Chow
    2525 posts Fans' Favourite
    BackDaddy wrote: »
    Hey Chow, cheers for the guide, been trying to play possession this year and it was handy to get a few pointers..

This is my team I bought yesterday as I'm over waiting haha.

http://i.imgur.com/HzVzXHG.jpg

I'm guessing the pic won't work first go cause I don't know how to upload photos but I'll try and work it out haha.

It's a heap of fun, my other side has Messi but this one has an awesome balance and everyone takes turns scoring haha.

Cheers
    Image works fine! Looks really good, wish I had the coins to try a TOTY. :neutral:

Glad you enjoyed the guide! @BackDaddy
  • BackDaddy
    3268 posts National Call-Up
    Chow wrote: »
    Image works fine! Looks really good, wish I had the coins to try a TOTY. :neutral:

Glad you enjoyed the guide! @BackDaddy

Haha image worked on 3rd or 4th attempt.

Yeah Kroos is pretty awesome, maybe not the best toty but suits my play style plus I'm a Germany fan.. Looking forward to seeing if there's anything good to make come tots
  • Rob
    1215 posts EA Staff (retired)
    Have updated your thread with a more reliable image host, nice work though :)
  • jokeaway
    191 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    wow, this guide is excellent!
  • @Chow would any of these two teams play good possession football? I personally like the one with the 3 CAMs.http://imgur.com/a/0Qdoq
  • javierignacio23
    29 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Thanks for the tutorial :)
    Do you have any video full match from you playing possesion style??
  • Chow
    Rob wrote: »
    @Rob Thank you for plugging the thread on twitter! Rip SpeedCap URLs. :(
    jokeaway wrote: »
    @jokeaway Danke. :)
    MrganLAWD wrote: »
    @Chow would any of these two teams play good possession football? I personally like the one with the 3 CAMs.http://imgur.com/a/0Qdoq
    @MrganLAWD In my opinion, the 4-2-3-1 (1) suits possession football slightly better as the 3 CAM's interchange with eachother in fluid fashion, creating plenty of triangles to maintain possession higher up the pitch. The 4-2-3-1 (2) plays a little too wide for my taste (this could just be a placebo effect), and often I found the wingers got isolated.
    @javierignacio23 I am likely going to stream a bit tomorrow morning, and will record 1 or 2 Division 1 games. :)
  • javierignacio23
    Rob wrote: »
    @Rob Thank you for plugging the thread on twitter! Rip SpeedCap URLs. :(
    jokeaway wrote: »
    @jokeaway Danke. :)
    MrganLAWD wrote: »
    @Chow would any of these two teams play good possession football? I personally like the one with the 3 CAMs.http://imgur.com/a/0Qdoq
    @MrganLAWD In my opinion, the 4-2-3-1 (1) suits possession football slightly better as the 3 CAM's interchange with eachother in fluid fashion, creating plenty of triangles to maintain possession higher up the pitch. The 4-2-3-1 (2) plays a little too wide for my taste (this could just be a placebo effect), and often I found the wingers got isolated.
    @javierignacio23 I am likely going to stream a bit tomorrow morning, and will record 1 or 2 Division 1 games. :)

Ok thanks :)
    I would like to see some videos because the english isnt my native language and it difficults a bit the reading of the guide
  • BangBruvsGaming
    455 posts Sunday League Hero
    CHOW YOU'RE FAMOUS! <3
  • WaCoug615
    9651 posts League Winner
    CHOW YOU'RE FAMOUS! <3

• Smoothino
    1334 posts Professional
    Chow, what do you think about 433 flat for possession?
  • Great guide read it all, thanks for all the tips and i have been using possession style football on Fifa for some time and i find it really pleasing to win that way
  • Chow
    WaCoug615 wrote: »
    CHOW YOU'RE FAMOUS! <3
    @BangBruvsGaming @WaCoug615 This is how it begins! #RoadToCeleb
  • Smoothino
    1334 posts Professional
    Normally a 4231 1 user but sometimes it feels stale unless i use the tactics that sokko and liam set
  • Chow
    edited April 2015
    Smoothino wrote: »
    It is one of the few formations I haven't tried this year, purely because I think the 4-3-3 (2) with a CDM is more balanced. As discussed in the guide, I believe that the CDM is the most important position on the pitch - it gives you that security you need in front of your back four to break up any attacks, as well as gives you a pivot as you move up the pitch. That said, I still think you can use the 4-3-3 with a possession style and be effective...the 4-3-3 will always offer lots of triangles/passing lanes that allow you to maintain possession.
    Normally a 4231 1 user but sometimes it feels stale unless i use the tactics that sokko and liam set
    The 4-2-3-1 (1) has always been my go-to formation, since having 2 CDMs makes it much easier to keep clean sheets. However, you're right in that sometimes, against better defenders, it can feel "stale" or just not offer enough going forward. In those situations, I like to switch to a 4-1-4-1, which provides a similar (but slightly more attacking) shape.
  • Smoothino
    1334 posts Professional
    It is one of the few formations I haven't tried this year, purely because I think the 4-3-3 (2) with a CDM is more balanced. As discussed in the guide, I believe that the CDM is the most important position on the pitch - it gives you that security you need in front of your back four to break up any attacks, as well as gives you a pivot as you move up the pitch. That said, I still think you can use the 4-3-3 with a possession style and be effective...the 4-3-3 will always offer lots of triangles/passing lanes that allow you to maintain possession.
    The 4-2-3-1 (1) has always been my go-to formation, since having 2 CDMs makes it much easier to keep clean sheets. However, you're right in that sometimes, against better defenders, it can feel "stale" or just not offer enough going forward. In those situations, I like to switch to a 4-1-4-1, which provides a similar (but slightly more attacking) shape.

I agree, when i use the tactic the guys set in the 4231 guide the cams seem more active and making runs. In general when i play against it i instantly want to build a team, but i feel more attacking with a 433. My ccm is always a converted cdm.
  • Smoothino
    1334 posts Professional

Got this team in 4231 thoughts?

Higuain
    mertens mata di maria
    dembele carrick
    evra kompany kos walker
  • Chow
    edited April 2015

Higuain
    Mertens Mata Di Maria
    Dembele Carrick
    Evra Kompany Kos Walker
    @Smoothino Front 4 look pretty good, I also like the choice of Carrick at CDM since he's both a good passer and can do a job defending in front of your back four. Personally I don't use "common pool" players like Kosc and Walker, but the defence is all personal preference so I won't fault you on that, I'd just go for someone a bit more unique like IF Janmaat at RB, or maybe IF Skrtel at CB. IF Fellaini is another options at CDM alongside Carrick, but they probably perform very similar roles as box to box midfielders.

Honestly, wouldn't change much for tactical reasons, I'd only change players based on who I like IRL, and add a few IF's because I like using more uncommon cards.
  • @Chow thanks for replying, I will use the 4-2-3-1 with the 3 CAMs
  • Smoothino
    1334 posts Professional

Higuain
    Mertens Mata Di Maria
    Dembele Carrick
    Evra Kompany Kos Walker
    @Smoothino Front 4 look pretty good, I also like the choice of Carrick at CDM since he's both a good passer and can do a job defending in front of your back four. Personally I don't use "common pool" players like Kosc and Walker, but the defence is all personal preference so I won't fault you on that, I'd just go for someone a bit more unique like IF Janmaat at RB, or maybe IF Skrtel at CB. IF Fellaini is another options at CDM alongside Carrick, but they probably perform very similar roles as box to box midfielders.

Honestly, wouldn't change much for tactical reasons, I'd only change players based on who I like IRL, and add a few IF's because I like using more uncommon cards.

Yeah i use the back four as walker is untradable but might kit out with lfc players as thats my team. I was going to use fellaini, but dembele is incredible as a deep cdm. The front four are great. If you were making a 2nd team who would you pick in the bbva? Cant afford messi who i can imagine would be unreal as a ram
  • Bigmanawesomeness
    539 posts Sunday League Hero
    I've reverted away from this playstyle after i tried it for a little. I'm gonna go back to it. It's just I get really frustrated when i'm getting smothered, but i just need to stop taking it so seriously and calm down.
  • afrank86
    1 posts
    edited April 2015
    @Chow, any chance you could throw together a Serie A and/or a Liga BBVA squad with the 4231(1) formation? I have a team made up of both leagues (plus T. Silva and IF Aurier) so I'm looking to try out this formation for a while with minimal additional investment.

Or perhaps tell me what you would change in these squads?

Serie A http://www.futhead.com/15/squads/29956670/

BBVA http://www.futhead.com/15/squads/29969717/
  • Chow
    edited April 2015
    afrank86 wrote: »
    @Chow, any chance you could throw together a Serie A and/or a Liga BBVA squad with the 4231(1) formation? I have a team made up of both leagues (plus T. Silva and IF Aurier) so I'm looking to try out this formation for a while with minimal additional investment.

Or perhaps tell me what you would change in these squads?

Serie A http://www.futhead.com/15/squads/29956670/

BBVA http://www.futhead.com/15/squads/29969717/
    @afrank86 Neither Doumbia or dos Santos would be my choice of STR...would probably go with Higuain for the Serie A side you linked, and Torres for the La Liga side (since you're on a budget)...if you can afford an IF Griezmann card, I'd grab that - short passing is an important stat for your strikers, if you intend on playing the possession game. I'd also probably have James down the middle, since he is the only one that can consistently finish out of the 3 CAM's you currently have.

Not going to fault you for it, it's just an observation, but it doesn't seem like you like your pace...remember you don't need pace to keep the ball, and having lots of it only makes it more likely that you will revert away from a possession style.
    Post edited by Chow on
  • Chow
    I've reverted away from this playstyle after i tried it for a little. I'm gonna go back to it. It's just I get really frustrated when i'm getting smothered, but i just need to stop taking it so seriously and calm down.
    @Bigmanawesomeness It takes time and patience mate. Keep the faith. :)
  • javierignacio23
    Im waiting your videos :(
  • Chow
    edited April 2015
    Im waiting your videos :(
    @javierignacio23 I promise they are coming soon, busy gearing up for exams again as I'm heading back to university on Sunday. :|
  • Bigmanawesomeness
    539 posts Sunday League Hero
    @Bigmanawesomeness It takes time and patience mate. Keep the faith. :)
    will do bro
  • BackDaddy
    Anyone tried possession play with 4321? I can build some attractive squads but I'm assuming there will be too big a gap between cm and lf rf
  • Chow
    edited April 2015
    BackDaddy wrote: »
    Anyone tried possession play with 4321? I can build some attractive squads but I'm assuming there will be too big a gap between cm and lf rf
    @BackDaddy Personally I don't like the 4-3-2-1 formation...too narrow. However, I have a couple of friends who play possession football using that formation, so it is possible. If you want the LF/RF combo, I'd actually recommend the 3-4-2-1. Started using it yesterday with a Serie A team and breezed through a gold cup within an hour - having the extra attacking threat made it easier to keep possession in my opponent's half...just be aware you will be a bit more open down the wings on the defensive side.
  • BackDaddy
    Thanks mate, ended up giving it a go for a game or 2 but found it too narrow and wasn't able to create space like I could with false 9, may consider 3421 but I've used 352 and find lm and rm wasted there, plus harder to include the players I want

Thanks again
This discussion has been closed.