Comments

• gustav_96_
    354 posts Sunday League Hero
    Maybe i passed too much, but it worked :smile:

• Chow
    2525 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited April 2015
    @chow what team you rocking right now
    @Bigmanawesomeness Korea team for the Community Cup, but this is my main team (haven't used it for a week or so now):

246b7d03be16ba421febfc50c8b84c89.png

c57115f996eca522a9ff8d37b03a05de.png

Also the Ligue 1 team that got me back into Division One for the first time on this account a couple of weeks ago:

4db2837aa2d9f54f900d216313107e8d.png

• Chow
    edited April 2015
    Nice, thanks for sharing :)

I always try to play this style but find the online gameplay cancels it out
    @Garycelta923 It takes practice but I can assure you that you can play possession football and consistently win online.
    Great guide! Will try it tommorow, I average around 45% possession, can't go worse :smiley:
    @Orange Prince Thank you, best of luck, we can all improve our game in different ways.
    Amazing read, Which 4231 do you use the one with the RM / LM or CAM's?
    @Batman_Llanber Danke, I prefer the 4-2-3-1 (1) with 3 CAM's as I feel the attacking 3 link up better than with wide men (who often get isolated I find).
  • Bigmanawesomeness
    539 posts Sunday League Hero
    Thanks chow might try out those teams they look pretty nice and what chem is David silva on
  • Chow
    edited April 2015
    Thanks chow might try out those teams they look pretty nice and what chem is David silva on
    @Bigmanawesomeness 4 chem, he's so agile and his stats are so good that I don't feel a difference. Tried Milner on 4 chem once at CDM though, don't do that.
  • Bigmanawesomeness
    Chow wrote: »
    @Bigmanawesomeness 4 chem, he's so agile and his stats are so good that I don't feel a difference. Tried Milner on 4 chem once at CDM though, don't do that.

Lol why Milner at cdm
  • Bigmanawesomeness
    Also do you use any custom tactics
  • Chow

Lol why Milner at cdm
    @Bigmanawesomeness What kind of question is that, he's a god mate. ;) Milner always comes on for Silva after about an hour if I'm in the lead, gives me the energy in the midfield that you need to see the game out. Club legend for me.
    Also do you use any custom tactics
    Nah, just the possession one that EA provides. Check out the 4-2-3-1 (by Sokker and Liam) guide I linked in the sources section of this guide, as they provide suitable custom tactics in that post.
  • tomgreat1990
    995 posts Professional
    Very useful guide. Feels more rewarding playing possession football! Hope more people give it a try!
  • Chow
    Very useful guide. Feels more rewarding playing possession football! Hope more people give it a try!
    @tomgreat1990 Thanks a lot! Absolutely agree that it feels rewarding, and of course, was hoping this guide would give people the confidence to try playing possession football.
    gustav_96_ wrote: »
    Great guide! Just tried it for 2 games and ended up with a 4 - 1 goalscorer and an average possession of 81%!
    Will definitely try it again
    @gustav_96_ 81% seems a little excessive, but at least you still scored 4 heh. In 4 years of UT I think I may have had 80% possession once...maybe never lol. Keep going. :)
  • Azablucky
    4105 posts National Call-Up
    Do you use custom tactics for possession play?
  • WaCoug615
    9651 posts League Winner
    Really, really great work man! I'm breaking my reading up into 2-3 sessions and loving what I've seen so far. Kudos!
  • Chow
    Azablucky wrote: »
    @Azablucky Nope, just the possession tactic that EA provides.
    WaCoug615 wrote: »
    Really, really great work man! I'm breaking my reading up into 2-3 sessions and loving what I've seen so far. Kudos!
    @WaCoug615 Thanks man, glad to see you're enjoying the guide so far. :)
  • Axman UTD
    1360 posts Professional
    Great guide!
  • BangBruvsGaming
    455 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited April 2015
    Bam. Finally read through it, but will have to give it another go when I'm on the PS4 and building a squad with some of these players. Howeverrrrrr, we did beat you the other day so is it necessary ;)? (teasing..chow has beat us every time but this once, so I need to rub it in a little bit).
  • Chow
    edited April 2015
    Axman UTD wrote: »
    Great guide!
    @Axman UTD Thank you! :)
    Bam. Finally read through it, but will have to give it another go when I'm on the PS4 and building a squad with some of these players. Howeverrrrrr, we did beat you the other day so is it necessary ;)? (teasing..chow has beat us every time but this once, so I need to rub it in a little bit).
    @BangBruvsGaming While the best team won on Saturday, that was quite possibly the least I've enjoyed a FIFA match this year lol (hence the rage quit). Laggy game in general (nothing we can do about that), vs Ronaldo, double the high press and through ball spam, it nearly made me throw up over this guide. ;) So definitely try to work on your passing game lol.

• Dropkiik Murphy
    1086 posts Professional
    Great guide and will certainly take some pointers from here.
    I like to play the possession game and i will always look to make the pass back etc if i need to.
    What i need to learn is not making those suicide passes (what i call them) from say my wing back to my cb or cb to cb where they may be spaced apart and my opponent intercepts it.

Also aside from this where i like to play possession, i am very impatient and i tend to rush matters if i say get to the 60th min and nothing much has happened in terms of chances or if im a goal or so down and then im chasing a game, i then find myself over committing and making silly mistakes.
  • Jaymizzo
    2383 posts Fans' Favourite
    Very beautiful and extensive guide - Haven't read everything yet but the information I have so far is invaluable (took a breather at Patience).
  • Chow
    Great guide and will certainly take some pointers from here.
    I like to play the possession game and i will always look to make the pass back etc if i need to.
    What i need to learn is not making those suicide passes (what i call them) from say my wing back to my cb or cb to cb where they may be spaced apart and my opponent intercepts it.

Also aside from this where i like to play possession, i am very impatient and i tend to rush matters if i say get to the 60th min and nothing much has happened in terms of chances or if im a goal or so down and then im chasing a game, i then find myself over committing and making silly mistakes.
    @Dropkiik Murphy Yeah you always have to be careful when recycling possession through the back four...opponents who are good at pressing will often anticipate those balls. Also, "becoming impatient" when you're not scoring/go a goal down is one of the biggest things that holds people back from becoming a consistently successful possession player. You just have to believe that you will create and score a chance. Glad you enjoyed the guide. :)
    Jaymizzo wrote: »
    Very beautiful and extensive guide - Haven't read everything yet but the information I have so far is invaluable (took a breather at Patience).
    @Jaymizzo Danke. :)
  • keema-v
    2201 posts Fans' Favourite
    Finally got around to reading the guide as it was a bit of a nightmare to find in a separate section :)
  • Chow
    keema-v wrote: »
    Finally got around to reading the guide as it was a bit of a nightmare to find in a separate section :)
    Imagine spending a couple of months writing up the guide, delaying it for nearly a month whilst waiting for the new forums, and then getting shafted because people can't find the guide when they 'do guides dirty' and separate them into a section outside of GD (where most people reside).

:(
  • Excellent guide! Thank you for the hard work you undoubtedly put into this Chow!
  • Chow
    MrPolo wrote: »
    Excellent guide! Thank you for the hard work you undoubtedly put into this Chow!
    @MrPolo Glad you enjoyed it. :)
  • WaCoug615
    9651 posts League Winner

Enjoyed it thoroughly, finishing it up tonight when I hit a slow patch at work, and I have to say again, great job man! Having professed to live and die by this style for the last year or so, I have to say that while there wasn't a lot new for me (though there was some, for sure), the brilliance of the guide IMO is that you pretty concisely encapsulated the keys and you boiled it down in a way that it's a great refresher/re-inforcer for more experienced players but also is a great start-from-scratch resource for green players as well.

Highly recommend for anyone looking to improve the flaws in their game and looking to get more of the ball and more time on it as well. Can never have too much!

Kudos Chow!
  • Xeque
    589 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Brilliant read @Chow will try and add a few things to my game, especially the chance creation part.
  • bergundytomato
    505 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Excellent guide (took a chunk out of my lunch hour though =p)

Very comprehensive and well explained. As a predominantly possession based player, I will just reiterate one point: patience. I have been guilty of not being patient (especially if I lose an EA sponsored goal in Doumbia circumstances) and it definitely effects your game. I would also highly recommend the 4-1-4-1 because it actually forces you to be passing-oriented (otherwise, your striker gets very isolated).

Would like more content in the high-pressure section though because effective high pressure can be devastating against someone getting used to possession play. This is also segues into my question for you:

How do you keep defensive balance while keeping possession against high-pressure opponents? I ask this because given the abysmal positioning AI of players (sideways/diagonal positioning chiefly), one of the ways to beat the pressing is to 1-2 more than one would like with players we wouldnt want to be out of position (e.g. CDM).
  • Chow
    edited April 2015

Enjoyed it thoroughly, finishing it up tonight when I hit a slow patch at work, and I have to say again, great job man! Having professed to live and die by this style for the last year or so, I have to say that while there wasn't a lot new for me (though there was some, for sure), the brilliance of the guide IMO is that you pretty concisely encapsulated the keys and you boiled it down in a way that it's a great refresher/re-inforcer for more experienced players but also is a great start-from-scratch resource for green players as well.

Highly recommend for anyone looking to improve the flaws in their game and looking to get more of the ball and more time on it as well. Can never have too much!

Kudos Chow!
    @WaCoug615 While I did spend a lot of time trying to make it an interesting read, I didn't think people would find it interesting enough to be reading it during downtime at work, I'll take that as a compliment. :)

Thanks for all the kind words!
  • Chow
    edited April 2015
    Xeque wrote: »
    Brilliant read @Chow will try and add a few things to my game, especially the chance creation part.
    @Xeque Cheers mate, hope it goes well for you.
    Excellent guide (took a chunk out of my lunch hour though =p)

Very comprehensive and well explained. As a predominantly possession based player, I will just reiterate one point: patience. I have been guilty of not being patient (especially if I lose an EA sponsored goal in Doumbia circumstances) and it definitely effects your game. I would also highly recommend the 4-1-4-1 because it actually forces you to be passing-oriented (otherwise, your striker gets very isolated).

Would like more content in the high-pressure section though because effective high pressure can be devastating against someone getting used to possession play. This is also segues into my question for you:

How do you keep defensive balance while keeping possession against high-pressure opponents? I ask this because given the abysmal positioning AI of players (sideways/diagonal positioning chiefly), one of the ways to beat the pressing is to 1-2 more than one would like with players we wouldnt want to be out of position (e.g. CDM).
    @bergundytomato I apologise for er, taking up your lunch out lol.

Yes, patience is the key for sure! It's the biggest mental block that stops people being successful possession players imo. I am debating on making a separate thread with regards to dealing with high pressure as I know that section was a bit short. Thing is, even sometimes I don't know how to deal with it if the opponent is that good at pressing as a team - or in other words, when I lose because of high pressure, I usually just accept there wasn't much I could do, and that they were just better than me.

To answer your question: How do you keep defensive balance while keeping possession against high-pressure opponents?
    Don't overuse the L1 button to trigger runs from your players. If too many of your players run up the pitch, especially your CDM's/fullbacks, and then the high pressure causes you to play a poor pass, you will be left vulnerable to the counter. Yes, you will sometimes need tot trigger runs to generate a passing option, but only use it as and when you need to. Sometimes this will mean going backwards to allow your players to move and attack from a new angle (I know what you mean about the AI not moving into the space properly - that's when you recycle, don't force anything).

Also, make sure your passes are hit with power. I mentioned it in the guide, but it's much better to lose the ball because you over-hit the pass out of play, than it is to under-hit a pass and have it intercepted. Often when I spray the ball wide/diagonally, I will put full power on the ground pass.

Hope this helps. :)
  • Chow
    Updated 3rd post with some of my current possession teams, will keep updating that in the future. If you have 'possession style' teams that you would like to share, feel free and I'll create a 'community' section in the OP.
  • BackDaddy
    3259 posts National Call-Up
    edited April 2015
    Hey Chow, cheers for the guide, been trying to play possession this year and it was handy to get a few pointers..

This is my team I bought yesterday as I'm over waiting haha.

HzVzXHG.jpg

I'm guessing the pic won't work first go cause I don't know how to upload photos but I'll try and work it out haha.

It's a heap of fun, my other side has Messi but this one has an awesome balance and everyone takes turns scoring haha.

Cheers
This discussion has been closed.