Penalty Kicks: stats (100 penalties)

Galaynn
375 posts Sunday League Hero
So through my FIFA years I have noted that most penalties are aimed at the left of the GK. In the middle of FUT 15 I started taking note of each penalty I conceded.

I reached 100 penalties conceded yesterday and thought it was worth sharing the result with you guys.

Important note: these are all in-game penalties, i.e. not penalty shootout (I thought penalties in a shootout are less relevant for a variety of reasons).

- to the right of the keeper: 28

- central: 19

- to the left of the keeper: 53

- scored: 54

- wide/hit the bar: 8

- blocked/deflected: 38

Note: I always dived on the left - well other than in those occasions where I tried and dive but the guy just stood there.

Comments

• Jastrmerel
    86 posts Park Captain
    Good info. Thanks for confirming that I am not crazy for faking right and diving left every time.
  • Torminator
    1403 posts Professional
    Against the AI always stand still. They always go through the middle when they dont shoot hard.
  • Lumitesi
    763 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I have this theory about how people take penalties.
    Usually the worst players (hp abusers, lobbed ball spammers) tend to shoot right (to the left of the keeper) to smash it in. Good players tend to shoot it left and try to hit the side net. Of course this is for right footed players, it's the other way around for lefties. And going down the middle has been pretty rare in this FUT. I follow these rules according to how good the guy seems to be and I can probably say I save around half the penalties I concede.
  • BlitzersNL
    25004 posts Player of the Year
    I always shoot left. That's what I do in reallife too and it has never failed me. In FIFA it's a bit more risky but I hesitating makes you miss much easier.
  • Galaynn
    Lumitesi wrote: »
    I have this theory about how people take penalties.
    Usually the worst players (hp abusers, lobbed ball spammers) tend to shoot right (to the left of the keeper) to smash it in. Good players tend to shoot it left and try to hit the side net. Of course this is for right footed players, it's the other way around for lefties. And going down the middle has been pretty rare in this FUT. I follow these rules according to how good the guy seems to be and I can probably say I save around half the penalties I concede.

yes I agree with both points

as to taking penalties, I always shoot in the middle (half to 2/3 power, just under the bar)
  • Carswell
    8405 posts League Winner
    Cool and helpful thread. Noticed people go left against me mostly.
  • Flatision
    428 posts Sunday League Hero
    I also noticed this that people tend to go left. For some reason it seems natural to go left first.
  • bigpokey24
    4865 posts Big Money Move
    well i have a sick penalty style , very difficult to save
  • Jastrmerel
    86 posts Park Captain
    I use Ibra or Rooney for PKs and tend to shoot 75% of them 3/4 power and straight ahead, but just under the bar. If is is saved, they usually will catch it. 25% of the time I go left for the netting.

I have thought about a strategy regarding in game penalties (wherein a rebound will likely be a goal anyway) of doing the max power/hold down technique which basically smashes the ball but you have no idea where it is going. It's always low and I doubt many keepers can hold onto the shot.

Any thoughts on this?
  • Cahir85
    2383 posts Fans' Favourite
    Went trough a phase where I missed 7 penalties in a row. Went left, right, down the middle you name it i did it. Back on track now but never feel confident. Missed one earlier today by going right.

All were saved btw, not wide.
  • Galaynn
    bigpokey24 wrote: »
    well i have a sick penalty style , very difficult to save

... mind sharing?
  • P
    7778 posts League Winner
    edited December 2015
    I save way more than I miss. It's honestly ridiculous. What I do is press all the a, x, y moves and non stop move left and right, then I either move to one side and hold up or get back to the middle and hold up.