Aston Villa F.C.

Comments

• Farlz
    8267 posts League Winner
    We've scored some lovely goals this pre season, regardless of the opposition being a lower level it's very enjoyable to see.

Fantastic goal today from McGinn though, however we do this season I have no doubts that McGinn himself will be excellent yet again.
  • maTTeOs_mAZzA
    3252 posts National Call-Up
    I can't believe we signed him for a fee in the region of 3 mil. Hes quite possibly our biggest bargain buy of all time.
  • Pxul_
    7454 posts League Winner
    Think he’ll be a marvellous signing....

I’ll see myself out
  • maTTeOs_mAZzA
    Another big signing through the door. This is so great.

I only wish for one more after this. It would be amazing if we brought in another striker, Maupay or Sturridge please.
  • Ahmer50x
    16199 posts World Class
    You’re now actually starting to approach Fulham territory

Stop signing players
  • Farlz
    8267 posts League Winner
    edited July 29
    We still need a keeper and another striker. Welcome 2 more signings.
  • Farlz
    8267 posts League Winner
  • El_Nino
    2266 posts Fans' Favourite
    Farlz wrote: »

Thats and absolutely fantastic signing, good price too.
  • maTTeOs_mAZzA
    I was hoping Jed was going to get a crack. So much for that.

Our track record of signing decent keepers of late has been shocking, I hope this isn't another mistake. Heaton has Prem experience so I guess thats a positive. Personally would have preferred Butland though.
  • Tornado31619
    15713 posts World Class
    Heaton >>> Butland. We’re talking about one of the PL’s top ten keepers.
  • El_Nino
    Heaton >>> Butland. We’re talking about one of the PL’s top ten keepers.

Completely agree. One of the best keepers in the league outside of the top 6 teams.
  • Farlz
    8267 posts League Winner
    Nakamba and Heaton confirmed what a lovely day
  • ViVaWhom
    7587 posts League Winner
    do you guy knows who is gonna play in your defense for sure?
  • Farlz
    8267 posts League Winner
    I'm almost certain it will be:

Guilbert - Engels - Mings - Targett
  • maTTeOs_mAZzA
    With Nakamba's arrival it will be interesting to see what Dean does with the midfield.

I'm thinking Douglas Luiz with Nakamba and Grealish in more advanced roles, McGinn has got some competition now. As much as I'd like to see him start against Tottenham I don't think he will.
  • Farlz
    8267 posts League Winner
    Not a chance Nakamba is taking McGinn's starting place, McGinn starts 100% of the time. I expect it'll be Douglas and Nakamba battling for the DM spot.
  • maTTeOs_mAZzA
    Hope you're right @Farlz, I just don't see it now that we're in the Prem.

I don't think we would spend over 10 mil on a player and sit him on the bench.
  • Farlz
    8267 posts League Winner
    McGinn is only just behind Grealish as our best player.

Nakamba has come in as squad depth and add competition imo, he’ll still get plenty of game time I’m sure
  • Farlz
    8267 posts League Winner
    edited August 3

What a win to end pre season. Much bigger test against Leipzig today but we more than held our own against them. Engels, Mings and Heaton especially looked great.

Can't get too ahead of myself as after all it was just a pre season game but extremely positive signs from us for this upcoming season. Bring on Spurs next week.
  • Tornado31619
    15713 posts World Class
    Heaton’s going to be amazing for you.
  • Farlz
    8267 posts League Winner
    Heaton’s going to be amazing for you.
    Absolutely, some brilliant stops today

• maTTeOs_mAZzA
    Fully expected to get beat against quality German opposition. Its a nice surprise to see us win.

That caps off a perfect pre season, I don't think we've ever come into a new season without a draw or loss. Drawing nothing but positives right now.

Can't wait for the Prem. Spurs are going to be tough but the three games after that are much kinder. I'm predicting a decent opening month for us.

• El_Nino
    Can see you guys going straight into mid table this year, 15th or better I recon.
  • Apollo
    13028 posts Has That Special Something
    edited August 4
    El_Nino wrote: »
    Can see you guys going straight into mid table this year, 15th or better I recon.

Yeah I think they'll stay up as well, they've done some really smart business and I think Smith is a very good manager.
  • El_Nino
    Apollo wrote: »
    El_Nino wrote: »

Yeah I think they'll stay up as well, they've done some really smart business and I think Smith is a very good manager.

Ditto on both thoughts, great business from Villa tbf, some real class signings, and a really good mix of experience and promising
    Gambles.
  • Farlz
    8267 posts League Winner
    The crazy summer all done then. To say I'm excited would be an understatement.

Could've possibly done with another striker today because it does kind of all fall on Wesley and then if he get's injured we drop to Kodjia or Davis, however I won't be complaining. I was expecting a fair few signings considering how many we released but nothing like we have. Smith has been backed and we've turned a fairly old squad into one full of energy and desire to do well and improve. No loans either which is nice.

I can't wait. Hopefully it's a good season.
  • maTTeOs_mAZzA
    edited August 8
    I too hope its a good season and I share the same concern about our striker situation. I really think we needed an extra one to cover for Wesley, I honestly expected Maupay to come in at some point to end Smith's raid on players he managed at Brentford.

All I really want from this season is to just survive. Anything else we gain will be a bonus. I sense a good start but after August it could get ugly when we start facing more top sides. Probably the most important thing though is that I believe in the set of players we have unlike many other squads we've had in the past. My good feelings outweigh the bad ones so I think we'll be ok.

I'm not going to lie I'm still slightly nervous but the excitement is killing me. Just can't wait for it to start!
  • maTTeOs_mAZzA
    Hourihane starting. Taylor preferred over Targett. Bit concerned. :worried: