Aston Villa F.C.

Comments

• Ahmer50x
    17389 posts World Class
    Mental that they've been able to more than double their investment on him given he did nothing in the Prem
  • Apollo
    14349 posts Has That Special Something
    Farlz wrote: »

Price may be dubious, but that's a quality signing for you given how good he was for you last season

The comments to that are fantastic :joy:

This one particularly tickled me :joy:

• Farlz
    8352 posts League Winner
    Prices in general are just crazy. I've given up these days being bothered about them, if we need to spend £20m on one of our most important players last season who performed incredible then so be it.

When players like Maguire and Longstaff are being valued at £90m and £50m respectively there's just no point even caring.

Very pleased, still a way to go before I'd be confident with our side but this was the big one we needed sorting.
  • Ahmer50x
    17389 posts World Class

20m rising to 26?

Mental. We signed Lindelof for not much more than that less than 2 years ago :lol:
  • Farlz
    8352 posts League Winner
    D-99XpQX4AEquiv.jpg:large

:love:
  • Farlz
    8352 posts League Winner
    Now we just need:

1x GK
    1x CB
    1x DM
    1x RW

Tryt and add some better squad players to that as well and we might be ok
  • Tornado31619
    16574 posts World Class
    Bruce being linked with the Toon :lol:
  • Farlz
    8352 posts League Winner
    Sounds like it could be Tom Heaton in next
  • Farlz
    8352 posts League Winner
    I like that. Not quite Tuanzebe but a young, talented English CB who can develop immensely is great.
  • Farlz
    8352 posts League Winner
    D_LyaGaXoAALFWp.jpg

Mings and Konsa elite ball playing defenders at the Villa
  • Farlz
    8352 posts League Winner
    Sounds like we're closing in on a deal for Egyptian winger Trezeguet as well. I was slightly concerned about a week ago that we were just getting nowhere in terms of deals but it's all rather picked up now.
  • Apollo
    Big fan of the business you've done so far. Getting in the players who were successful for you on loan last season has been a smart move, plus they don't need to get used to the club as they've already been there, and you seem to be building on that by actually identifying the areas where you're weaker (some other promoted teams have failed to do that in the past). Seems like Smith has a coherent plan of what he's trying to do and knows where he needs to strengthen
  • Farlz
    8352 posts League Winner
    Yeah there’s quite a clear plan with our targets. Young, comfortable on the ball and have plenty of room to develop more. I really like it personally it all fits in with Smiths style.

Obviously there’s easy comparisons to Fulham but I don’t think they’re alike at all. We released 8 players and 5 loanees went back (did resign 3 of them), we have to bring players in because our squad wasn’t ready at all. We’re also getting our deals done earlier, Fulham signed like 5 on deadline day didn’t they?

I like what I’m seeing atm, I’m not expecting anything crazy and just staying up is a very good job but it’s very refreshing to see the club have a set plan with targets.
  • Apollo
    edited July 12
    Farlz wrote: »
    Yeah there’s quite a clear plan with our targets. Young, comfortable on the ball and have plenty of room to develop more. I really like it personally it all fits in with Smiths style.

Obviously there’s easy comparisons to Fulham but I don’t think they’re alike at all. We released 8 players and 5 loanees went back (did resign 3 of them), we have to bring players in because our squad wasn’t ready at all. We’re also getting our deals done earlier, Fulham signed like 5 on deadline day didn’t they?

I like what I’m seeing atm, I’m not expecting anything crazy and just staying up is a very good job but it’s very refreshing to see the club have a set plan with targets.

Completely agree, its very different to how Fulham went about their business. Like I say, you've got your players in who have played under Smith last season on loan and were successful for you, so they know the club and how Smith wants them to play. That's just keeping your squad from last season together as much as you can and is just smart business.

And yeah, they signed a lot of players very late in the window. You guys have been smart here, getting the vast majority of your business done early and giving them as close to a full preseason to gel together as possible is massive. Plus it was clear as day that Fulham were still short in defence after their business and should have got a CB in. Like I said in my original post Smith seems to have identified all of the areas you needed to strengthen and the club are getting the deals in early.

The club are doing all of the right things to give you the best chance to be successful this season.
  • maTTeOs_mAZzA
    3256 posts National Call-Up
    What a few days it has been. Can't help but feel a bit of optimism. This is easily the best succession of business we've had since I can remember.

The deadwood is gone, our new additions are promising young players and we've got our key loan players back in permanently. I personally think 20 odd million for Mings isn't that bad, considering that Maguire is valued as being worth around 4x more (don't rate him much) and Mings has never had a bad game for us.

A new goalkeeper is not necessary I feel. Steer has been brilliant for us, hes improved out of sight. I think he has what it takes to handle the Prem on a consistent basis now. I just think we need a creative central box to box style midfielder. I'm not sure if Hourihane is good enough at the top level and McGinn doesn't have any experience. That's the most important position to fill right now imo.

With the side we've built so far I think mid table is a real possibility, although of course I'll be very happy if we survive our first season back.
  • maTTeOs_mAZzA
    Another centre back. Not really what we need right now but at least we're making sure we've got plenty of cover at the back.
  • Farlz
    8352 posts League Winner

372e905b2551be1b224837820b395dce.png
    24 - 22 - 24
    23 - 21 - 24
    23 - 26 - 24 - 23
    ?

I just am really excited, hopefully I'm still full of optimism in about 4 months time.
  • maTTeOs_mAZzA
    So refreshing to see a proper right back in a Villa line-up for once.

We have every right to be excited this time around. This feels like a completely new era.
  • Ahmer50x
    17389 posts World Class
    You guys deserve it! Hope you do well this year :)
  • maTTeOs_mAZzA
    We've got strike power all over the park now.

Just need to get Douglas Luiz in and I'll be confident we can stay in the Prem, and possibly exceed expectations.
  • Farlz
    8352 posts League Winner
    edited July 25
    I think I'm most excited about Douglas Luiz out of all our signings. Only downside if he does become an absolute superstar then City will just take him back.

---Douglas Luiz
    McGinn - Grealish

Really can't wait to see this midfield 3 though
  • maTTeOs_mAZzA
    How we're going about our business right now is absolutely insane, I've never seen anything like it before. Bringing in player after player and spending what seems like an infinite amount of money.

I have a feeling that Douglas Luiz will be a special player. He'll be an absolute boss in the middle.

I think we have what we need now to take on this fast approaching season back in the Prem. Look out any doubters out there, we just might surprise a few.
  • Apollo

Irrespective of the opposition, that's a nice goal that.

Saw a lot of your games last season because of Tuanzebe, McGinn was quality, looking forward to seeing how he does in the PL for you guys.