Is Gareth Bale the most overpriced player of all time?

G000ner
4893 posts National Call-Up
edited November 2015
Was just thinking earlier about how much of a joke he's been, and to think that he is currently the most expensive transfer, and will be for the foreseeable future unless someone buys Neymar. He was never worth more than 40million and he's only depreciated in value after his horrific display at Real Madrid. Has there ever been a more overpriced transfer?

Comments

• Darlia
    3640 posts National Call-Up
    no, he's quality

king of wales
  • Ash
    21413 posts Club Captain
    Penaldo
  • Nem
    5964 posts Big Money Move
    edited November 2015
    It's a shame to see the way it is turning out for him over there but let's not forget he had a very good first year.

Obviously the injuries haven't helped, and then there's the case of everyone having to play second fiddle to CR.

Reckon he'll thrive once CR departs for PSG next summer.
  • PES
    5173 posts Big Money Move
    edited November 2015
    Mendieta was transferred from Valencia to Lazio in the early 2000's for about €50m and turned out to be a complete flop iirc. He was loaned out to several clubs starting only a season after the initial transfer. He was already in his late 20's, too. Surely he must be considered more overpriced, especially in the context of time.
  • Rumplefish
    18748 posts World Class
    Nem wrote: »
    It's a shame to see the way it is turning out for him over there but let's not forget he had a very good first year.

Obviously the injuries haven't helped, and then there's the case of everyone having to play second fiddle to CR.

This exactly. Lets not forget that he played his entire career at LB/LM or CF for the national team and now he's playing mostly RM
  • G000ner
    edited November 2015
    Rumplefish wrote: »
    Nem wrote: »

This exactly. Lets not forget that he played his entire career at LB/LM or CF for the national team and now he's playing mostly RM

He's been playing right wing for over 2 years now, he's had more than enough time to adapt to the opposite wing. And while I agree CR is detrimental to everyone at Real Madrid, other players have still performed better while he's there. I don't even think his first season was that good, he had a good first few months, but his second half of the season was ok at best and he was awful in the CL final.
  • G000ner
    PES wrote: »
    Mendieta was transferred from Valencia to Lazio in the early 2000's for about €50m and turned out to be a complete flop iirc. He was loaned out to several clubs starting only a season after the initial transfer. He was already in his late 20's, too. Surely he must be considered more overpriced, especially in the context of time.

Seems to be a very worthy contender.
  • Ash
    21413 posts Club Captain
    Kaka was a bigger flop anyway
  • Nah, not at all really. He's an 85 million pound player who has on average performed like a player who is worth half that. If we create a flop index that is determined by dividing actual price by performance price then he'd get a flop index of 2. Compare that to someone like Torres who cost 50 million pounds but at best performed like a 10 million pound player at Chelsea. That's a flop index of 5. I'd say there are many who are far worse in that respect.
  • RollsReus
    1465 posts Professional
    Ash wrote: »
    completely true.

At 26, he has plenty of time when C.Ronaldo moves on.
  • Andy
    7875 posts League Winner
    Ash wrote: »

He was a flop but not over priced. Bale is overpriced garbage at the moment. Kaka was a balon do r winner.
  • Ridikuluz
    7696 posts League Winner
    edited November 2015
    Bale is certainly not 'garbage'. He requires the platform and absolute discretion in positioning and style of play, but he isn't just some useless heap of mess that brings a side down completely. The parallel to Torres is certainly apt. You only have to have to see how Bale performs for Wales to see that he can actually be a very good player in a specific environment.
  • Wardhiigley
    1974 posts Play-Off Hero
    Nah, not at all really. He's an 85 million pound player who has on average performed like a player who is worth half that. If we create a flop index that is determined by dividing actual price by performance price then he'd get a flop index of 2. Compare that to someone like Torres who cost 50 million pounds but at best performed like a 10 million pound player at Chelsea. That's a flop index of 5. I'd say there are many who are far worse in that respect.

But let's say you sign a £5million player and he plays like a £1million player. He'd have a "flop index" of 5 but would you seriously say he's a bigger flop than Bale?
  • Jfo88
    22950 posts Club Captain
    Have you heard of Fernando Torres and Andy Carroll?
  • G000ner
    Jfo88 wrote: »
    Have you heard of Fernando Torres and Andy Carroll?

Andy Carroll is different though, literally everyone at the time thought it was a joke. He was hugely overpriced before he even put on a shirt. A lot of people believed Bale to be worth 85mil (or whatever it was), in the modern game.
  • Nah, not at all really. He's an 85 million pound player who has on average performed like a player who is worth half that. If we create a flop index that is determined by dividing actual price by performance price then he'd get a flop index of 2. Compare that to someone like Torres who cost 50 million pounds but at best performed like a 10 million pound player at Chelsea. That's a flop index of 5. I'd say there are many who are far worse in that respect.

But let's say you sign a £5million player and he plays like a £1million player. He'd have a "flop index" of 5 but would you seriously say he's a bigger flop than Bale?

I think the key thing is how large a portion of a team's budget that fee constitutes. So for example, someone like Andreas Cornelius who cost Cardiff 8 million pounds in 2013/14 and only managed 8 goalless performances is in my eyes a much bigger flop than Gareth Bale. However, if he was bought by Real Madrid for the same fee and performed in the same way then he wouldn't be considered as big as a flop. I'd say such an index (which I just made up in 30 seconds) is useful when comparing players in the same price bracket who play for clubs in the same bracket.
  • CowBRAH
    874 posts Semi-Pro
    Certainly not a flop by any means. Madrid could probably sell him and recoup around £60m+ from his transfer fee.

Joining Madrid was a mistake for him, if you're not a superstar like Ronaldo then you will be treated like a scrub. He needs to be given his chance upfront or wait for Ronaldo to leave and become the main forward.
  • ViVaWhom
    8973 posts League Winner
    he single handedly took wales to Euros
  • Andy
    7875 posts League Winner
    ViVaWhom wrote: »

Aaron Ramsey played a fairly large role in that
  • Jenko
    13845 posts Has That Special Something
    Andy wrote: »

Aaron Ramsey played a fairly large role in that

No he didn't lmfao
  • G000ner

It's Real Madrid that paid the money for him
  • Jfo88
    22950 posts Club Captain
    G000ner wrote: »

And he single handedly won them the copa
  • G000ner
    edited November 2015
    Jfo88 wrote: »
    G000ner wrote: »

And he single handedly won them the copa

He scored one goal in the 5 matches he played, the goal happened to be a very important one. But he didn't win it single-handedly by any means.
  • Wardhiigley
    1974 posts Play-Off Hero
    If you are just talking about price difference between how much they paid for him and how he's playing now then I'd agree. They paid £85 million for him and I'd say he's playing like a £30-40million player because that's what a goal or assist every 103 mins for a player like Bale should represent. I can't think of any player with that big a difference but that's probably because only 7 players have actually cost more than £50million.
  • Ravz9
    25767 posts Player of the Year
    he'll shine when ronaldo leaves which will probably be in the summer