OT - The Comic Book Shop: ENDGAME

Comments

• CeeQue
    10809 posts Has That Special Something
    Argie8 wrote: »
    Shshj wrote: »
    I feel so happy and warm about Marvel. Mad what a couple really good films can do to you.

I really wasn't a fan of the MCU back in phase one, didn't even rate Avengers that much. Reckon if I had a rewatch I'd appreciate them all much more now though

Everyone has their favourites but I think the MCU has really kicked into gear in Phase 3 when it comes to general quality. Some of the older films are still brilliant, it just feels as though they've finally cracked the formula.

I had Age of Ultron on in the background last night and while it's still a decent movie, it can't hold a candle to any of the more recent films. That's taking nothing away from Phase 1 or 2 though, the fact we've had 22 films and only a couple of them have been complete duds is amazing.

For me, age of Ultron typified how I felt on the marvel films. It was fine but really just another jokey marvel team up movie. I felt very disillusioned with superhero films back then. But since then I think near enough every marvel film has offered something new and unique, whilst being good to excellent. I'm really overjoyed with the direction the MCU has gone and I think the box office takings will ensure they continue to be brave and take risks :)

For every good one there's a meh one. Ant-man/ Capn Marvel were both meh. Plus after Spider-man there won't be another Marvel movie till next year.
  • Shshj
    3999 posts National Call-Up
    I'm ok with them taking a year off, they've released Captain Marvel, Endgame and Far From Home in a short space of time so holding the next film back makes sense with the start of the next phase.

I only hope that they kick off with new characters rather than diving straight into a sequel with a hero we know - maybe the Inhumans?

Feige said they'll be announcing the plans for Phase 4 shortly after Far From Home, so not too long to wait.
  • Apollo
    14298 posts Has That Special Something
    edited May 2
    What do you think of the potential Namor easter eggs in Endgame and going back as far as Iron Man 2? Being perfectly honest I hadn't heard of him until I read some articles about him after seeing Endgame, and it seems plausible to me that they might be laying the foundations for him to be the villain in Black Panther 2 and for them to introduce Atlantis too?

Those references in the films are too random to not mean something.
  • Argie8
    5739 posts Big Money Move
    CeeQue wrote: »
    I feel so happy and warm about Marvel. Mad what a couple really good films can do to you.

I really wasn't a fan of the MCU back in phase one, didn't even rate Avengers that much. Reckon if I had a rewatch I'd appreciate them all much more now though

Everyone has their favourites but I think the MCU has really kicked into gear in Phase 3 when it comes to general quality. Some of the older films are still brilliant, it just feels as though they've finally cracked the formula.

I had Age of Ultron on in the background last night and while it's still a decent movie, it can't hold a candle to any of the more recent films. That's taking nothing away from Phase 1 or 2 though, the fact we've had 22 films and only a couple of them have been complete duds is amazing.

For me, age of Ultron typified how I felt on the marvel films. It was fine but really just another jokey marvel team up movie. I felt very disillusioned with superhero films back then. But since then I think near enough every marvel film has offered something new and unique, whilst being good to excellent. I'm really overjoyed with the direction the MCU has gone and I think the box office takings will ensure they continue to be brave and take risks :)

For every good one there's a meh one. Ant-man/ Capn Marvel were both meh. Plus after Spider-man there won't be another Marvel movie till next year.

I thought they were both solid but nothing special

Hyped for fantastic four and X-Men under the MCU
  • Choepiechakie
    31429 posts National Team Captain
    Agreed Age of Ultron felt a bit like lets see how many superheroes we can fit in one movie
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    31693 posts National Team Captain
    I actually enjoyed Age of Ultron personally. As well as Antman.

Captain Marvel was probably the weakest of the MCU films for me
  • Shshj
    Dark World is the only one I hate, you genuinely couldn't pay me to sit through that again.

Captain Marvel falls under the meh category with Hulk, Thor and Iron Man 2.

The rest of them range from good to outstanding.
  • Apollo
    edited May 2
    After this latest episode of the Flash (UK Schedule), I've finally had enough of Iris, going to stop watching the show now. Will just stick to Arrow and Supergirl now. I used to like Iris, but the writers have made her character insufferable
    What she said to Barry about not caring that Nora's working with the guy who killed his mother is the latest in a long line of ridiculous directions the writers have taken her character
  • hoban95
    48577 posts FIFA Cover Star
    I'm really behind on Arrow but i haven't bothered to watch Flash in some time which is a real shame. I felt like they got away from the character. Why does he need to have a bloody team of people around him?

As for the meh films in Marvel. For me those would be -

Iron Man 3
    Thor Dark World
    I guess Hulk because i've never bothered to watch it because of the recast.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    hoban95 wrote: »
    I'm really behind on Arrow but i haven't bothered to watch Flash in some time which is a real shame. I felt like they got away from the character. Why does he need to have a bloody team of people around him?

As for the meh films in Marvel. For me those would be -

Iron Man 3
    Thor Dark World
    I guess Hulk because i've never bothered to watch it because of the recast.

Yeah mine would probably be Iron man 3, Dark World, Hulk, And Captain Marvel.

Iron Man 3...Just can’t get overall the **** with the whole Mandarin situation. Still really annoys me that they went about it the way they did. Should have done more/better with it imo.

Dark World, basically same as everyone else.

Hulk, I think it was great up until Abomination is first seen and I felt he looked ridiculous and it kind of ruined the film for me. But yeah overall the recast kind of made the film a waste to the MCU franchise, but I’m a big Edward Norton fan. Overall felt the film was much better than Bana’s Hulk.

Captain Marvel. Honestly thought it was one of the weakest films. The Skrulls were the best part of the film. Brie Larsen just isn’t a very good actress imo, really put me off the whole film. Felt like they could have done better with the casting.
  • Argie8
    I'm a big fan of Iron Man 3. Not bothered about the Mandarin twist tbh. It's a great Shane black comedy action film that just so happens to have iron Man in it

Would like to have seen another Mandarin film though
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    I'm a big fan of Iron Man 3. Not bothered about the Mandarin twist tbh. It's a great Shane black comedy action film that just so happens to have iron Man in it

I just hate that Mandarin is one of Iron Mans biggest enemies, and they made him out to be a fake.

OR per the All Hail the King short...implies that there is a real Mandarin out there...but to this day they’ve not gone back to address it.
  • Argie8

I just hate that Mandarin is one of Iron Mans biggest enemies, and they made him out to be a fake.

OR per the All Hail the King short...implies that there is a real Mandarin out there...but to this day they’ve not gone back to address it.

Yeah I'm surprised Shane black was allowed to do it. Was always gonna **** off comic book fans. I liked it myself though as someone who didn't even like iron Man at that time
  • Shshj
    I've seen people drawing comparisons between the Infinity Saga (mainly IW & Endgame) and the original Star Wars trilogy a few times now, it's bold but is definitely fair in my opinion.

Star Wars may have been more revolutionary but these films feel like so much more than just movies, I hope future generations look back on them in the same way as we look back on A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.
  • Shshj
    @Apollo I've just come across this on Amazon, considering each 4K DVD costs about £15 I guess we'll be looking at anything between £200-300 if they ever release all 22 films in a collection :s

There's this too, apparently it was supposed to be released this year but it's been delayed, maybe they'll release the DVDs with it instead. it looks absolutely awesome but £100 for books even such as these seems very steep :joy:
  • Apollo
    edited May 3
    @Apollo I've just come across this on Amazon, considering each 4K DVD costs about £15 I guess we'll be looking at anything between £200-300 if they ever release all 22 films in a collection :s

There's this too, apparently it was supposed to be released this year but it's been delayed, maybe they'll release the DVDs with it instead. it looks absolutely awesome but £100 for books even such as these seems very steep :joy:

Yeah I would definitely have to wait until it went on sale, that is too much money :D I do think that because they've named the 22 films they'll want to release it as a full box set, it just makes too much sense not to from their point of view imo
  • hoban95
    I've seen people drawing comparisons between the Infinity Saga (mainly IW & Endgame) and the original Star Wars trilogy a few times now, it's bold but is definitely fair in my opinion.

Star Wars may have been more revolutionary but these films feel like so much more than just movies, I hope future generations look back on them in the same way as we look back on A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.

I used the Star Wars comparison last week. Marvel have created a saga of movies unlike no other in the modern era.
  • Argie8
    MCU >>> Star wars
  • hoban95
    I won’t say which is better. Love the originally trilogy.

Just shows how special this saga is by Marvel that the best comparison is Star Wars.
  • xHerdie
    4000 posts National Call-Up
    Just finished seeing it for the second time now. Still gave me chills during certain scenes!
  • P
    7507 posts League Winner
    I loved end game but it's not comparible to star wars for me. Star wars changed a genre forever. By far my favourite cinema experience seeing the original 3 in the cinema.

The nolanverse would be a better comparison and even then I think its still not as good. TDK is arguably the best film ever made though.
  • Argie8
    P wrote: »
    I loved end game but it's not comparible to star wars for me. Star wars changed a genre forever. By far my favourite cinema experience seeing the original 3 in the cinema.

The nolanverse would be a better comparison and even then I think its still not as good. TDK is arguably the best film ever made though.

I didn't know you were so damn old
  • hoban95

You know :joy:
  • P
    7507 posts League Winner
    edited May 4

It was when they remastered them. Not quite that old. Still old tho. It must of been over 20 years ago.
  • hoban95

It was when they remastered them. Not quite that old. Still old tho. It must of been over 20 years ago.

That makes far more sense. I intially read that as you going to see them in the cinema in the 70s and 80s :joy:
  • Low Ki
    11744 posts Has That Special Something

I hate Avatar so much. Please do it.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    Low Ki wrote: »

I hate Avatar so much. Please do it.

Lol. I enjoyed Avatar
  • Argie8
    Avatar is good. I think people would rate it a lot more if it made 300k at the box office
  • Low Ki
    11744 posts Has That Special Something
    It's awful. Outside of 3D it is no better looking than an average video game cutscene. And the story was generically lazy.

I reckon if it wasn't the first big 3D movie it would be nowhere near that total gross.