Chelsea Football Club

Comments

• Ashy
    18139 posts World Class
    Incoming depth comments...
  • High420
    1681 posts Play-Off Hero
    Yea no complaints from me lol, count your blessings and lucky to get anything after that performance imo.

Midfield looks completely lost without one of Kovacic/Kante/Jorgi in there, which is understandable but I really hoped Ruben would be able to nail a squad place down at least.

One bad game from him though and has looked good otherwise-

Azpi starting to look a little short in games at RWB, would like to see him moved back to rcb if he's gonna stay long term (hope he does).
  • El_Nino
    8987 posts League Winner
    Azpi RWB isn't the worst if there is pace on the other side, but he's obviously a big downgrade on Reece.

Misplay from Tuchel IMO not starting CHO over Alonso.
  • Shshj
    10274 posts Has That Special Something
    Ashy wrote: »

Kante, Kovacic, Chalobah, Chilwell all injured.

Jorginho, Werner and Reece all carrying knocks.

Lukaku, Mount and Havertz only just returning on Sunday/tonight.

We’re really feeling it in midfield at the moment. Desperately need one of the main three back.
  • Stlducks
    8047 posts League Winner

I don’t want to jinx it but…I think those comments are done now.
  • Stlducks
    8047 posts League Winner
    edited December 2021
    This is how a good team looks playing bad against bad teams. Ugly game but still pull it out.

That’s the biggest difference between Chelsea right now and United/Spurs/Arsenal. When the other three play bad, it’s a draw at best right now.
  • Ibte10
    2574 posts Fans' Favourite
    WryLucky wrote: »

Feel bad for him but he is completely out of his depth. It has been a poor deal so far, hasn't looked good once. At least it is just a loan I guess. Need Kante, Kovacic and Jorginho back. We look awful without at least 1 of them playing.
  • Cyodine
    4467 posts National Call-Up

To think people were calling him the best Spanish midfielder in the PL.
  • Stlducks
    8047 posts League Winner
    Cyodine wrote: »

Who said that??
  • Cyodine

Chelsea were lucky that Sarr is currently injured.
  • Shshj

Chelsea were lucky that Sarr is currently injured.

Watford were lucky that James, Chilwell, Kante, Kovacic and Jorginho are all currently injured.
  • El_Nino
    8987 posts League Winner
    Stlducks wrote: »

Who said that??

He's just biting at old troll comments at this point, poor fella is getting lonely.
  • arsenalap
    11768 posts Has That Special Something
    This is how a good team looks playing bad against bad teams. Ugly game but still pull it out.

That’s the biggest difference between Chelsea right now and United/Spurs/Arsenal. When the other three play bad, it’s a draw at best right now.

That's literally the opposite of what we've done recently. Brighton and Palace yes, but you can't win them all. We've dug out some results despite playing quite poorly.

Biggest issue is us against big sides atm.
  • Shshj
    edited December 2021
    A lot of pretty interesting quotes from Lampard on The Overlap podcast today.

On getting the job
    “I sat there in the interview knowing that Derby managers don’t get this job. It normally goes to a successful manager in Europe. They had a transfer ban, Marina said to me ‘we understand if we don’t end up where we normally end up, we don’t want to be relegated’. I remember those words.”

On Eden Hazard
    “I played with him, he’s a magnificent player, one of the best. When I joined as manager we could sense an over-dependance on him, it was an odd feeling. The players really missed him initially when he left.”

On Roman & Marina
    “I would have conversations with Marina, regularly enough. It could be messages, she’s quite withdrawn but I wanted to have a good relationship. Roman’s different, nobody has a direct line to him except for Marina. But that’s okay, he’s made some great decisions down the years, he’s the reason I am where I am.”

On signings
    “There were no such thing as club signings. We always sat down the coaches, the scouting team, the stats guys and the directors before pursuing a player. The club backed me well, I was a fan of every player we signed, but Ben Chilwell was the big one I wanted. I wanted a left-back of his qualities.

Werner was another big one. We knew Liverpool and United really wanted him. We had a conversation and he decided he wanted to join us.

Thiago Silva was a no brainer. You don’t pass up on opportunities like that in football, he’s been one of the best defenders in the world for a while now.

There were always going to be adaptation issues with Kai and Timo. We expected that. They were both shocked by the speed of training and the physical demands of our league. I’ve seen it happen as a player, to come to a new country and play for a big club under pressure, it’s a lot tougher than people expect.”

On the CL win
    “I got quite a few messages after, ‘that’s your team’. I’m like ‘no it’s not’. Fair play to Tuchel and the club for taking them that far. I will never take ownership of that.

Thiago Silva sent me a beautiful message after the game saying ‘thank you for bringing me to the club’.”

On being sacked
    “I could feel it, I knew it was coming. Chelsea rightfully have big expectations. It was after a win against Luton, the next day Bruce (Buck) asked me to postpone training that week and wanted to meet me.

It was all very cordial, they were kind but there’s no nice way to do it. Management is a harsh game, especially at the top clubs where, unless you’re winning titles back-to-back, you’ll go. You just have to accept that that’s that and move on.”
  • ViVaWho
    270 posts Sunday League Hero
    Shshj wrote: »
    A lot of pretty interesting quotes from Lampard on The Overlap podcast today.

On getting the job
    “I sat there in the interview knowing that Derby managers don’t get this job. It normally goes to a successful manager in Europe. They had a transfer ban, Marina said to me ‘we understand if we don’t end up where we normally end up, we don’t want to be relegated’. I remember those words.”
    relegated?! imagine saying that when you have a squad worth £400m+ and having signed kovacic and Pulisic 6months before the ban in anticipation of it
  • SimenHP
    4828 posts Big Money Move
    I really hope we buy a new LWB this January. Theo would be the dream, but can't see him being willing to be a substitute, but Grimaldo or Gaya or Tagliafico or Gunther would all be great players too.
  • Stlducks
    8047 posts League Winner
    Is his first comment making it out like he thought he was meeting expectations or an I reading that wrong? The rest of his comments are fair and not surprising.
  • El_Nino
    8987 posts League Winner
    Is his first comment making it out like he thought he was meeting expectations or an I reading that wrong? The rest of his comments are fair and not surprising.

Surely the first comment would only be in regards to the first season though, maybe hinting that he exceeded expectation in year 1, which he did tbf.
  • Stlducks
    8047 posts League Winner
    El_Nino wrote: »

Surely the first comment would only be in regards to the first season though, maybe hinting that he exceeded expectation in year 1, which he did tbf.

You’re right, that would make a lot more sense.
  • El_Nino
    8987 posts League Winner
    That's all really good news, James and Jorgi back will be great for the weekend, hopefully Werner and Lukaku get a start together.
  • Shshj
    Mendy
    Azpi - Christensen - Rudi
    James - Jorg - RLC - Alonso
    Mount - Lukaku - CHO

I’d really like to see that team. Only issue is for whoever plays LF in front of Alonso, they’re going to need to track back and help him.
  • El_Nino
    8987 posts League Winner
    Werner on for Alonso, then switch him and CHO around for me.

Given how little Alonso offers in defense I just don't see the benefit to having him playing over CHO/Pulisic in that role
  • SimenHP
    4828 posts Big Money Move
    I wonder if Sarr has tried to play LWB on training. He is fast, strong, left footed and isn't a bad dribbler. His problems could be his positioning and passing though.
  • Ashy
    18139 posts World Class
    It's going to happen next summer, surely

• Shshj
    Certainly seems like one of those moves that is just destined to happen, probably as our marquee signing. There’s not many other areas we could improve on.

Not sure where he’ll slot in with our other midfield options, he might even go into a CB role in our 3-4-3, who knows. I’d welcome him with open arms though.
  • Cyodine
    Shshj wrote: »
    Certainly seems like one of those moves that is just destined to happen, probably as our marquee signing. There’s not many other areas we could improve on.

Not sure where he’ll slot in with our other midfield options, he might even go into a CB role in our 3-4-3, who knows. I’d welcome him with open arms though.

Your striker position could be improved on.
  • WryLucky
    5479 posts Big Money Move
    It won't happen if they want over 70m.