Chelsea Football Club

Comments

• Shshj
    5156 posts Big Money Move
    edited September 14
    Not the best performance but the 3 points are all that matters. We looked more comfortable in the second half.

I thought Werner did very well. Hs's absolutely electric and I'm excited to watch him this season.

Havertz was mediocre but showed small glimpses of talent. I don't think we'll see the best of him until our new attack is fully assembled and flowing properly.

Shoutouts also go to Zouma and particulary Christensen who had one of his best games in a Chelsea shirt. Loftus-Cheek was a huge disappointment, you can tell he's very low on confidence.
  • G000ner
    5123 posts Big Money Move
    FUT_Moe wrote: »
    lol Goal of the season ... so far :p

Impossible. Martin Keown already said we won't see a better goal all season than Auba's vs Fulham.
  • G000ner
    Werner will be very good when you have better players around him. Havertz was poor and it could be a struggle for him this season- season of adapting possibly. Saying that you were missing a lot of key players today. Kovacic probably your most important player because of how he controls the midfield and progresses the ball. Pulisic is your only good natural winger and I think Ziyech will make a big difference too.
  • G000ner
    Also Thiago Silva and Mendy huge improvements on who you had playing today
  • El_Nino
    6409 posts Big Money Move
    G000ner wrote: »

Chilwell will be a massive boost over Alonso too, I know some people doing Chilwell; but there’s no doubt he’s a massive upgrade on what we have.

Overall very happy to win 3-1 with a team that is really nothing close to full strength.
  • Ahmer50x
    25066 posts Player of the Year
    Ultimately, one of the keys to improving is winning even when you don't deserve it. Today, Chelsea did that.

If you're doing it every week, it can indicate unsustainable overperformance of underlying numbers but it's only GW1 so for now, we can spin it positively.
  • El_Nino
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    Ultimately, one of the keys to improving is winning even when you don't deserve it. Today, Chelsea did that.

If you're doing it every week, it can indicate unsustainable overperformance of underlying numbers but it's only GW1 so for now, we can spin it positively.

I know I sound like a broken record now; but it’s the team we had out(as well as GW1) that still makes this game a big positive to me, it’s maybe a little deceptive because we have some really good depth now, but if you took 6 players out of United/Arsenal even Liverpool’s starting XI, and played a main player out of position, I think most would consider a 3-1 win away at Brighton a really good result.
  • G000ner
    El_Nino wrote: »

Chilwell will be a massive boost over Alonso too, I know some people doing Chilwell; but there’s no doubt he’s a massive upgrade on what we have.

Overall very happy to win 3-1 with a team that is really nothing close to full strength.

He'll make a bigger difference once you get all your players back and once you face the top teams. In games like these I don't think you'd really notice a difference. Don't think he's as much of an upgrade as your other positions and don't think he's particularly good either, but he is better than Alonso.
  • G000ner

I know I sound like a broken record now; but it’s the team we had out(as well as GW1) that still makes this game a big positive to me, it’s maybe a little deceptive because we have some really good depth now, but if you took 6 players out of United/Arsenal even Liverpool’s starting XI, and played a main player out of position, I think most would consider a 3-1 win away at Brighton a really good result.

It is a really good result, but you definitely played like a team that were missing 6 players. Not sure it's healthy to rely on individual quality of your players even though you have a lot of it.
  • El_Nino

It is a really good result, but you definitely played like a team that were missing 6 players. Not sure it's healthy to rely on individual quality of your players even though you have a lot of it.

I agree we need more fluidity as a team, but that has to come over time, particularly in midfield and attack today when we only had 2 brand new signings, and 2 players who haven’t played a run of games in ages, so bound to struggle abit.

Think Chilwell is probably better than your giving him credit for, he looks decent, admittedly not world class by any means, but hoping he can continue to improve, anything is a massive step up from Alonso 😂
  • DaMMian
    1426 posts Professional
    Werner will be very good when you have better players around him. Havertz was poor and it could be a struggle for him this season- season of adapting possibly. Saying that you were missing a lot of key players today. Kovacic probably your most important player because of how he controls the midfield and progresses the ball. Pulisic is your only good natural winger and I think Ziyech will make a big difference too.

Werner was one of the best players on the pitch in this game though he didn't score a goal. He won a penalty kick, very fast and lively in the offensive. It is only a matter of time before Werner starts scoring serial goals for Chelsea.
    You can't blame KAi too much as he only joined the team a week ago and didn't have much time to train with the new team, he looked very heavy. Hopefully, it will look better and better with each match.
  • Shshj
    edited September 17
  • WryLucky
    3038 posts National Call-Up
    He's leaving, it's just when he's leaving.
  • WryLucky
    3038 posts National Call-Up
    I kind of forgot he was still here, now if someone can take Drinkwater off our hands...
  • Stlducks
    3238 posts National Call-Up
    WryLucky wrote: »
    He's leaving, it's just when he's leaving.

Hopefully in January when West Ham are relegated and have no choice but to sell for a tiny fee and they get no funds to reinvest.
  • Shshj
    Not sure what to make of this when every other journalist said it's done. Either way I hope we don't pay that amount, just go and get Onana.

• SimenHP
    2690 posts Fans' Favourite
    91d9e8d3a1ef88d4ffa078c2de580e98.png
  • BondJame5Collins
    2221 posts Fans' Favourite
    Declen Rice isn't what you need. You are desperately missing a Cesc Fabregas. Your team has no creativity. Hazard picked up the burden Cesc left, but Pulisic isn't that type of creative winger, he's more of a goalscorer. Havertz isn't a creator. Ziyech is but he's injured.
  • Shshj
    I couldn't disagree more. Havertz is capable of both scoring and creating goals. Pulisic is a direct winger but his pace and technical ability will lead to plenty of chances. Ziyech will undoubtedly be a starter once fit and Kovacic is one of the tidiest midfielders in the league.

We also have Mount and CHO off the bench who are both capable of creating chances.

Last season's issue was that we couldn't score the many chances we created. We were one of the most prolific teams in the league for chance creation and have added a number of world-class attackers since.
  • El_Nino
    edited September 19
    Yeah the creativity issue is one I disagree on massively too, Havertz/Pulisic/Ziyech/Kovacic have more than enough creativity, absolutely no need for anyone more creative.

And as said above the likes of Mount and CHO from the bench, more than enough in attack.

Rice isn’t going to be a starter he’s a back up for Kante/at CB
  • Stlducks
    3238 posts National Call-Up
    Based on metrics, Chelsea were 3rd or 4th best in the league at creating chances. Per fbref Chelsea were 2nd in key passes, 3rd in passes in the final 3rd, 3rd in passes in the penalty area, 4th in goal creating chances and 2nd in shot creating actions.

By all accounts, the offense is not an issue. The defense on the other hand...
  • Shshj
    I wish I felt more confident for today's game but our absences are overwhelming and it's hard to be excited when Kepa is still in goal.

Hopefully Frank puts Havertz in the central role with Mount and CHO on the wings. Liverpool haven't looked comfortable defensively for a while so can certainly get at them. We just have to pray our defence does the job at the other end.

I'd take a draw now to be honest.
  • Ashy
    12032 posts Has That Special Something
    The way that is done it looks like Havertz as a CF with Werner LW, Mount RW and a midfield 3. Or it's Mount behind both Havertz and Werner as a front 2 with no proper width
  • BondJame5Collins
    2221 posts Fans' Favourite
    Ashy wrote: »
    The way that is done it looks like Havertz as a CF with Werner LW, Mount RW and a midfield 3. Or it's Mount behind both Havertz and Werner as a front 2 with no proper width

Either way, the defence is a joke. Could be 3 or 4 with Frank telling Klopp to F*** off again.
  • Ibte10
    2050 posts Fans' Favourite
    Hopefully its not Havertz on the wing again. Surprised Alonso is starting again - thought Azpi would be in for sure. This could get bad for us.
  • Tornado31619
    22467 posts Club Captain
    Could be our third 4-3 of the season. Liverpool's defence played like they were still hungover last week, so I find it difficult to imagine Chelsea not getting at least a couple.
  • DaMMian
    1426 posts Professional
    I think Chelsea win 3-2 or will be a draw 2-2