Chelsea Football Club

Comments

• El_Nino
    5718 posts Big Money Move
    I don’t worry about spurs that much tbh so I’d personally happily let Zouma go for that. I don’t see Tarwoski being much more than that, so go get him.
  • El_Nino
    Shshj wrote: »

No doubt this has been an issue for years, I’ve said it before that it’s clearly an issue outside of the manager.

But Lampard is in an excellent position to correct this, players should have instant respect for him, a lot of young hungry kids coming through alongside new signings.

I’m hopeful Lampard will break this pattern.
  • WryLucky
    2751 posts Fans' Favourite
    We have a lot of dead wood to clear, not going to judge Lampard too much until next season
  • Ahmer50x
    23664 posts Club Captain
    Don't think anyone expected you to be in the top 4 race with 3 matches to go after losing Hazard in the middle of a transfer ban and having your experienced manager walk out on you to be replaced by a novice. Lampard has exceeded expectations for Chelsea from the start of the season, whatever little critiques may be there for him.

Now, with the signings you've made already and are likely to make, the expectations will rise. You should (and for that matter, if we get the rumored signings, United and Ole should) be putting up around 80 pts next season with the buys and expected buys. If they fail to do that, questions will be rightly asked of both managers.
  • Shshj
    4931 posts National Call-Up
    Thanks Bournemouth :D
  • Shshj
    That's a huge let-off for us. Barring a miracle Leicester have pretty much ruled themselves out of the top four race considering their fixtures and the fact United have a game in hand.

I still think United will finish above us but if we can beat Norwich then I think we have 4th pretty much wrapped up.
  • WryLucky
    A win against Norwich and a draw against Wolves should be enough. Hopefully.
  • Shshj
    WryLucky wrote: »
    A win against Norwich and a draw against Wolves should be enough. Hopefully.

It'll definitely go down to the final game of the season, fingers crossed Wolves drop points before that or it may well be a 4th-place playoff.
  • El_Nino
    Yeah Leicester are doing us some mad favours here.

Best norwich(touch wood that should be simple) then I’m pretty sure avoid losing to Wolves and we can’t not get 4th.

If wolves could drop off before we play them that’d be great, but admittedly not likely.
  • Ahmer50x
    23664 posts Club Captain
    Chelsea’s heavy defeat away at Sheffield United on Saturday posed further questions about the future of Kepa Arrizabalaga and if the Blues decide his uneven season merits a change of goalkeeper for 2020-21, it is believed that Ajax No 1 Andre Onana sits high among their options.

Kepa has made a number of high-profile errors in his two campaigns at Stamford Bridge, leading the Chelsea hierarchy to consider alternatives. Onana features prominently on their list, owing to his impressive form over recent years with Ajax, notably his spectacular shot-stopping and standout ability with the ball at his feet.

The Cameroon international quickly established himself in Amsterdam after joining as a teenager from Barcelona in January 2015 — prior to even making a senior appearance for the Catalan side — and gained particular acclaim during the team’s run past Real Madrid and Juventus to the 2018-19 Champions League semi-finals.

The 24-year-old would be available for a fee of around €30 million, The Athletic’s Dermot Corrigan reports — significantly less than the €80 million Chelsea paid to take Kepa from Athletic Bilbao in July 2018. The asking price for Kepa and his salary are likely to be the biggest stumbling blocks to any potential deal to take the Spaniard away from west London.

It is understood there has been regular contact in recent months between Chelsea and Onana’s representatives, with the player understood to be attracted by the idea of joining manager Frank Lampard’s squad as he seeks to build a side packed with youth and equipped to challenge for trophies in the coming years.

Onana would be keen on a move to the Premier League, knowing that a return to Barcelona is unlikely because of the turmoil at the Catalan club. It is also possible he could remain at Ajax, with the Dutch champions in no hurry to sell as their financial position is strong following a number of lucrative sales.

Chelsea and Ajax have already done business this year, with winger Hakim Ziyech moving between the clubs for €40 million. The transfer decision-makers at Stamford Bridge have yet to decide whether Kepa’s loss of form is just a temporary blip or if it is time to move on and place their faith in a new first-choice keeper.

It is also understood that Lampard is an admirer of Dean Henderson, who has impressed this season on loan at Sheffield United from Manchester United.

^David Ornstein on Onana
  • WryLucky
    Going to be stealing Deano instead.
  • El_Nino
    Yeah they’ll be no need when Henderson makes it clear he wants Chelsea 😉
  • Apollo
    20040 posts Club Captain
    Good luck with that :D
  • Ahmer50x
    23664 posts Club Captain
    What are the chances Giroud starts again over Tammy tomorrow?
  • Mackie17
    8471 posts League Winner
    Better odds than Southampton winning tonight I'd imagine.

Think Frank would drop the lot of them of he could at this point
  • WryLucky
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    What are the chances Giroud starts again over Tammy tomorrow?

We might rest Giroud since he's our best striker right now.
  • Shshj
    How on earth are we still 3rd...
  • Mackie17
    8471 posts League Winner
    Get the ❤️❤️❤️❤️ in. Tuned back in for the last 5 mins . Back in our hands
  • WryLucky
    It happens almost everytime, one team drops points and the rest follow suit.
  • CFCsjmishra
    8990 posts League Winner
    Feels good :D
  • Shshj
    Tomorrow's game is absolute crucial but we should be beating Norwich comfortably.

We then just need a point from Liverpool (A) or Wolves (H). If we can get that then I think we have top four locked.
  • Mackie17
    8471 posts League Winner
    Hopefully Liverpool have given up on the record and put the kids out 🤞
  • Ibte10
    1952 posts Play-Off Hero
    We don’t deserve to be third. The curse continues for Man Utd, but their fixtures are much easier than ours - they will still get third. But good to have them still around us, because it will hopefully add some stakes to the Leicester game on the last day of the season.
  • Kman
    3203 posts National Call-Up
    Liverpool and Wolves, tough games I feel Chelsea won’t have enough to get any points from those but they’ll be quite the contests
  • WryLucky
    Kman wrote: »
    Liverpool and Wolves, tough games I feel Chelsea won’t have enough to get any points from those but they’ll be quite the contests

We have a 3 on our shirt now, and with all the 3 related shenanigans happening our games we're bound to finish 3rd.
  • Kman
    3203 posts National Call-Up
    WryLucky wrote: »
    Kman wrote: »

We have a 3 on our shirt now, and with all the 3 related shenanigans happening our games we're bound to finish 3rd.

Yeah it’ll be you or us (United) either way definitely no Leicester in the 4
  • Tornado31619
    21650 posts Club Captain
    Don’t rule out Wolves.
  • WryLucky
    Don’t rule out Wolves.

No one is ruling out Wolves, that's why we said we need a win and a draw from our final 3.
  • WryLucky
    I'm honestly surprised Jorginho is starting