Chelsea Football Club

Comments

• Tornado31619
    21616 posts Club Captain
    If you don't sign Havertz now, then you never will. You would have to be insane to turn him down.
  • Shshj
    4924 posts National Call-Up
    edited July 1
    If you don't sign Havertz now, then you never will. You would have to be insane to turn him down.

100%, I don't think we would stand a chance of signing him under normal circumstances. He's a generational talent who would give us elite attacking options for the next 5+ years.

But we also need at least two good defenders and a keeper. They're crucial to any success, it's hard to argue they're not the priority right now.
  • Stlducks
    2221 posts Fans' Favourite
    Adding Havertz isn't going to win Chelsea trophies until the defense is fixed. They will allow as many as they score.

They would be better buying defenders and letting the attack stay as it is.
  • Apollo
    20006 posts Club Captain
    edited July 1
    As it is,

Werner
    Pulisic - Mount - Ziyech

Or

Abraham
    Werner - Ziyech - Pulisic

Are both very good attacks (though Havertz would obviously make them better), so I definitely feel like the better move would be to bolster the much weaker defence/keeper with your remaining budget.
  • wth22
    11437 posts Has That Special Something
    Werner should sort the attack, surely you fix your leaky roof before you buy a new TV for your already swanky living room.
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner
    Is that 9 losses in the league for Chelsea? Spending like 200m on attackers ffs
  • El_Nino
    5701 posts Big Money Move
    edited July 1
    I get buying Havertz because as it’s been said he’s the sort of talent that isn’t normally buyable, so maybe we think get the firepower to get us too 4 again next year, then focus on the defence next season, there would be logic in that tbf, it’s not like we’ll challange for a title next season regardless

There’s definitely a strong logic in getting Havertz tbf, I think I’d be content either way, let’s hope Abramovic is really liking football again and wants to buy all of the above 😂

50mill for Tagliafico and Onana
    70 for Havertz
    50-70 for Koulibaly

If we actually got those on top of Werner/Ziyech we’d probably have a chance of competing for the title, somehow a 250mill+ window seems unlikely 😂
  • Shshj
    El_Nino wrote: »
    I get buying Havertz because as it’s been said he’s the sort of talent that isn’t normally buyable, so maybe we think get the firepower to get us too 4 again next year, then focus on the defence next season, there would be logic in that tbf, it’s not like we’ll challange for a title next season regardless

There’s definitely a strong logic in getting Havertz tbf, I think I’d be content either way, let’s hope Abramovic is really liking football again and wants to buy all of the above 😂

50mill for Tagliafico and Onana
    70 for Havertz
    50-70 for Koulibaly

If we actually got those on top of Werner/Ziyech we’d probably have a chance of competing for the title, somehow a 250mill+ window seems unlikely 😂

This is the kicker for me. It's virtually impossible to improve on 5/6 starting positions in one summer. It was always going to take a couple of solid years before we're able to go toe-to-toe with Liverpool and City.

If we can get Havertz and then Chilwell/Tagliafico over the line then I'd be very confident of a top four finish next season. Then we just need a CB and GK providing our current options don't up their game.
  • Shshj
    Kepa
    Azpilicueta - Zouma - Christensen - Chilwell
    Kovacic - Kante - Havertz
    Ziyech - Werner - Pulisic

Based on what we know at the moment I'd expect to see something like this next season. That also isn't including any of James, Tomori, Ampadu, Gilmour, Jorginho, Mount, RLC, Tammy, Giroud or CHO.
  • Ahmer50x
    23617 posts Club Captain
    Shshj wrote: »
    Kepa

Based on what we know at the moment I'd expect to see something like this next season. That also isn't including any of James, Tomori, Ampadu, Gilmour, Jorginho, Mount, RLC, Tammy, Giroud or CHO.

Is Tammy really going to be benched after scoring so many goals his (real) debut season?
  • Shshj
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    Kepa

Is Tammy really going to be benched after scoring so many goals his (real) debut season?

Probably not, it was just a way of illustrating how we could line up. If he was to start then one of the others would obviously have to drop out though.
  • WryLucky
    2747 posts Fans' Favourite
    Giving Lampard three summer transfer windows to get us in the position to challenge.
  • Tornado31619
    21616 posts Club Captain
    Adding Havertz won’t win them the league but he’ll be extremely useful in dragging them over the line during goalfests. Good defenders will always be available in the market, Havertz won’t.

As somebody who would love him at Utd if Pogba left, I find some of your logic maddening. If Tomori can keep fit throughout next season then Chelsea can comfortably make top four, and then after adding a couple of new defenders they can look to challenge.

All of this talk of Roman pumping money into the club will be for nothing if you don’t use it to make statement signings. If you don’t get Havertz then you lose a lot of your fear factor for next season IMO.
  • wth22
    11437 posts Has That Special Something
    Adding Havertz won’t win them the league but he’ll be extremely useful in dragging them over the line during goalfests. Good defenders will always be available in the market, Havertz won’t.

As somebody who would love him at Utd if Pogba left, I find some of your logic maddening. If Tomori can keep fit throughout next season then Chelsea can comfortably make top four, and then after adding a couple of new defenders they can look to challenge.

All of this talk of Roman pumping money into the club will be for nothing if you don’t use it to make statement signings. If you don’t get Havertz then you lose a lot of your fear factor for next season IMO.

Good defenders will always be available in the market? We had to pay 80m for Harry Maguire ffs
  • El_Nino
    Yeah i think United paying 80 million for Maguire kind of destroys any point your trying to make. Not sure about the ‘fear factor’ comment either, we would undoubtedly be a much tougher team to face if we bought a high class CB instead.

But I can see the logic in going either way, as long as we spend the money on quality players I won’t be too bothered.
  • Tornado31619
    21616 posts Club Captain
    Just because we pay over the odds, it doesn't mean that other teams do. Look at Liverpool, they built a CL-winning side from scraps, signing players from Newcastle, Hull and Southampton. Havertz is the biggest signing that you'd be making for a long, long time.

And for what it's worth, reports suggest that we did agree a fee with Ajax for de Ligt that would have been no more than the 60m Juve paid for him. He just rejected us.
  • Ahmer50x
    23617 posts Club Captain
    edited July 2

The Athletic also reported the 90m valuation recently.

Article also suggests you want a LB (as we all know) and maybe a GK if you can loan out Kepa.
  • Shshj
    edited July 2

Article also suggests you want a LB (as we all know) and maybe a GK if you can loan out Kepa.

Still no mention of a CB and I still don't see us realistically ditching Kepa completely after one poor season.

We won't be winning the title next season. Signing Havertz is an opportunity which won't come again and gives us one of the best attacks in Europe, the defence can be sorted next summer.
  • Cyodine
    2423 posts Fans' Favourite

Still no mention of a CB and I still don't see us realistically ditching Kepa completely after one poor season.

We won't be winning the title next season. Signing Havertz is an opportunity which won't come again and gives us one of the best attacks in Europe, the defence can be sorted next summer.

I don't think most will care about the defence if you can just outright out score your opponents. Sure it will hurt when you lose matches to conceding but it'll be less painful when you start putting 3-5 goals past teams.
  • Pughy30
    27221 posts Player of the Year
    As Chelsea fans right now do you think you should be going all in for Havertz or would you rather go for a CB?
  • Shshj
    Cyodine wrote: »

I don't think most will care about the defence if you can just outright out score your opponents. Sure it will hurt when you lose matches to conceding but it'll be less painful when you start putting 3-5 goals past teams.

Surely there isn't a single Chelsea fan anywhere who is turning their nose up at the possibility of seeing Werner, Ziyech, Havertz and Pulisic in the same attack next season.

We would be in a similar postion Liverpool were in a few years ago. The team is top class, we'd just need a CB and GK to take us to that level above.
  • Ibte10
    1949 posts Play-Off Hero
    I would want a CB, but considering the dearth of options, Havertz would be more sensible. Signing somebody like Ake won't transform us. We should still get top 4 with our attacking firepower. Then we can address CB next season. A new LB could ease the burden. We would have to outscore teams. :D
  • El_Nino
    I probably would still go Havertz, the people who have said you can’t always sign a Havertz are right, the opportunity can’t be missed, get him at any cost.
    Tammy/Werner/Mount/Pulisic/Havertz/CHO, that’s an unbelievable set of option to have for the next decade, not to mention Ziyech for the next 5ish years.

A new LB and a fit Tomori will help the defence, and with that firepower we’d be 3rd/4th at worst.
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner
    I probably would still go Havertz, the people who have said you can’t always sign a Havertz are right, the opportunity can’t be missed, get him at any cost.
    Tammy/Werner/Mount/Pulisic/Havertz/CHO, that’s an unbelievable set of option to have for the next decade, not to mention Ziyech for the next 5ish years.

A new LB and a fit Tomori will help the defence, and with that firepower we’d be 3rd/4th at worst.

if it clicks. Your options behind your attack are 6th or 7th place at best.
  • El_Nino
    edited July 2
    TakeItSlow wrote: »

Kante/Kovacic are two of the best midfielders in the league, there isn’t a better holding duo in the league.

James/Tomori and the new LB will all be good players, it’s only the CB partner and GK that are issues.

Yes it’s dependent on the attack clicking, but Lampard looks more than capable of setting up a good attack, so yes there’s the risk that comes with any new signings, but the likelihood is we’ll be as good as anyone going forward.
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner

Kante/Kovacic are two of the best midfielders in the league, there isn’t a better holding duo in the league.

James/Tomori and the new LB will all be good players, it’s only the CB partner and GK that are issues.

Yes it’s dependent on the attack clicking, but Lampard looks more than capable of setting up a good attack, so yes there’s the risk that comes with any new signings, but the likelihood is we’ll be as good as anyone going forward.

Look at the amount of games you've lost this season tho. That tells me your midfield pairing and defence even as a unit is poor. You've lost more than us...
  • El_Nino
    edited July 2

Look at the amount of games you've lost this season tho. That tells me your midfield pairing and defence even as a unit is poor. You've lost more than us...

Kante has spent quite some time injured don’t forget, and by no means am I saying Lampard has his defensive tactics spot on yet either. However the main issue this year has been individual error after individual error by defenders.

Kante is Kante, and Kovacic has without a doubt been one of the best midfielders of the season, after being very good for the last third of last season.

Fabinho/Henderson(maybe Wiji?)
    Rodri/Gundogan
    McT/Pogba

Are you telling me you feel any of those are a noticeable upgrade on Kante/Kovacic?

Pogba over Kova is the only(not massive upgrade) but MCT for Kante is some downgrade.
  • arsenalap
    8189 posts League Winner
    edited July 2
    The midfield is fine, the defense is a shambles though relatively.
  • Tornado31619
    21616 posts Club Captain
    It's no worse than Liverpool's backline from 16-17.
  • Mackie17
    8467 posts League Winner
    Can't see a top class CB out there really. maybe rice is worth a go idk. Should've pushed through the deal for kouli years ago. Shame de laurentis is like an Italian levy ❤️❤️❤️❤️