Chelsea Football Club

Comments

• Elpistolero91
    642 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Yeah think the Tammy criticism is harsh. I thought he done well when he came on and worked hard. Only early doors daft how people right things off so early.
  • Kellnerr
    2329 posts Fans' Favourite
    The chance Abraham had was really difficult to score and penalties are often down to luck, really cannot criticise him because of this game.
    However he doesn't seem that special to me tbh.
  • ViVaWhom
    7587 posts League Winner
    WryLucky wrote: »
    I do not know how we struggle so badly to get a striker to score. Maybe it's a curse, like the woodwork.

well they are just not good enough...

Costa didnt have a problem
  • Tornado31619
    15713 posts World Class
    ViVaWhom wrote: »
    I do not know how we struggle so badly to get a striker to score. Maybe it's a curse, like the woodwork.

Costa had Champions League experience, Tammy had Championship experience. You’re also comparing a finished article to a youth prospect.
  • Ahmer50x
    16199 posts World Class
    ViVaWhom wrote: »

Costa had Champions League experience, Tammy had Championship experience. You’re also comparing a finished article to a youth prospect.

Think he’s speaking more broadly about post-Costa strikers like Morata
  • Tornado31619
    15713 posts World Class
    Morata’s confidence (or lack thereof) was his downfall. He was brilliant for Chelsea until the 2-2 with Arsenal. He also shone for Juve amongst other clubs beforehand.

If you do end up deciding to sign another #9 for the time being once your ban expires, you should probably loan Tammy out or sell him with a buy-back clause to somewhere like BVB (if they can fit him in with Alcacer) seeing as how they somehow manage to get the best out of basically every attacker they have.
  • Shshj
    3813 posts National Call-Up
    Feels weird to be sat here saying positive stuff after defeats to both United and Liverpool in the space of three days, but this is what this season is going to be all about. Frank's got us playing some very nice stuff going forward and we looked a lot more confident at the back.

Leicester will be a tough game, especially after the 120 minutes tonight, but if we play like we did tonight and during the first-half at Old Trafford then I'm confident of getting a result.
  • Tornado31619
    15713 posts World Class
    It’s not like our expectations are much higher than yours, TBF. It obviously helps that we’ve actually racked up some wins thus far, but our only real aim is to reclaim CL football. Playing good football and winning anything else is a bonus.
  • WryLucky
    1436 posts Professional
    It’s not like our expectations are much higher than yours, TBF. It obviously helps that we’ve actually racked up some wins thus far, but our only real aim is to reclaim CL football. Playing good football and winning anything else is a bonus.

I still think yours are higher than ours, main thing for us is to improve the young players for next season. We're still working out our tactics too.
  • wth22
    9673 posts League Winner

Our expectation is to be in the top 4, theirs is to be in the top 6.
  • Ahmer50x
    16199 posts World Class
    wth22 wrote: »

Our expectation is to be in the top 4, theirs is to be in the top 6.

This. While our squad is 5th best on paper, it’s close enough that we can get top 4 IMO

They’re gonna be more worried about the likes of Wolves and Leicester in May than United or Arsenal
  • Tornado31619
    15713 posts World Class
    They probably won’t make top four, but I don’t see why they can’t at least try to. Obviously their defence is awful, but it isn’t even full-strength ATM. If Tammy and the rest of their attackers can finally click, then I don’t see Wolves or Leicester challenging for top six, especially considering that they likely won’t maintain the level of consistency that everyone expects them to.
  • Shshj
    Tough news, hopefully he comes back soon.

• finsfan85
    11888 posts Has That Special Something
    Unfortunate for Jay. Also unfortunate that he decided to leave Chelsea permanently when his chances at first team football were at their highest.
  • Shshj
    finsfan85 wrote: »
    Unfortunate for Jay. Also unfortunate that he decided to leave Chelsea permanently when his chances at first team football were at their highest.

Would've been a fine understudy to Emerson and probably would have taken the starting spot after a while.

Oh well, I can deal with one more season of Alonso as long as we sell him next summer.
  • finsfan85
    Really don’t even see the point in keeping Alonso around this season. 17 year old Ian Maatsen is a better option than Alonso at this point.

Wish we would get rid of Alonso before all the transfer windows close 🙏🏻🤞🏻 I know he’s here to stay for at least one more season though ☹️
  • Couchy
    9261 posts League Winner

Good! Now all twitter need to do is link every profile to the person(s) begins them and bring criminal charges against the racist ****.
  • finsfan85
  • Snugglebites
    1044 posts Professional
    More possession, more shots and double the shots on target. Had we had better finishing the game would have easily been won in normal time. I don't understand much of the criticism.
  • Keano
    12163 posts Has That Special Something
    More possession, more shots and double the shots on target. Had we had better finishing the game would have easily been won in normal time. I don't understand much of the criticism.

but that's also the same with the hypothetical that if Chelsea had not been called offside with giroud 50 times, they would've had a few goals allowed. End of the day, it looked like Chelsea played better imo, but you got through to pens & you won... it's not all doom & gloom for either team;

Liverpool don't look 100%/as good as last year, but they won a trophy.

Chelsea looked good in this game, which is promising now they have more players coming back, but lost.
  • Sellish
    8593 posts League Winner

Finally. Hard to believe what some of the football players have to go through.
  • Snugglebites
    1044 posts Professional
    Adebayor Giroud was offside so much because of our tactics. Missing plenty of chances wasn't a tactic.
  • finsfan85
    Sellish wrote: »

Finally. Hard to believe what some of the football players have to go through.

Agreed. So many people hide behind their avatar and think they can abuse others with no repercussion. Would be great to finally see them held accountable.
  • Keano
    Adebayor Giroud was offside so much because of our tactics. Missing plenty of chances wasn't a tactic.

No... but being offside was at the fault of Giroud, just like missing chances is at the fault of whoever missed... human error on both sides = both hypotheticals, Lampard didn't tell giroud to try & stand offside... the plan was to stand on the defensive line & see if you can get past/hold it off on them, like Liverpools tactic wasn't "miss as much as you can" & instead was score at some point.
  • Snugglebites
    1044 posts Professional
    Keano wrote: »

No... but being offside was at the fault of Giroud, just like missing chances is at the fault of whoever missed... human error on both sides = both hypotheticals, Lampard didn't tell giroud to try & stand offside... the plan was to stand on the defensive line & see if you can get past/hold it off on them, like Liverpools tactic wasn't "miss as much as you can" & instead was score at some point.

One of the benefits to playing a high line is catching players offside. We chose to do that and it worked. Giroud was offside because of our tactics.
  • finsfan85
    edited August 15
    If true, City’s punishment is a joke and completely unfair to Chelsea. Wouldn’t be surprised to see our ban lifted for the January window.

• WryLucky
    1436 posts Professional
    If true, City’s punishment is a joke and completely unfair to Chelsea. Wouldn’t be surprised to see our ban lifted for the January window.

If that's true then they should lift the ban for January. Or at least give City a bigger punishment.
  • Keano

Agreed, if you lot get a ban so should City, regardless of accepting responsibility, you still did it & I'm assuming they only accepted responsibility when caught? it'd be slightly different if they reported themselves etc.

The fine is hilarious.
  • Pietu
    1382 posts Professional
    edited August 16
    Now the clubs will just admit what they did is wrong and expect only a fine because City got it, they really have dug themselves into the fire
    Post edited by Pietu on