The Politics Thread

13456743
Stannis Baratheon
1417 posts Professional
edited April 2015
Since the subject of this thread is quite sensitive, it is imperative to remind all participants to be civil in their approach. Criticism is encouraged but only in a manner that is intended to foster discussion rather than provoke. Beyond that, the intent of the thread is to discuss political matters, be they domestic or global.


Hammer_sickle.png
Viva la Revuloción
Post edited by Stannis Baratheon on

Comments

  • Adamski
    9995 posts Has That Special Something
    What do people think of UKIP? Flash in the pan or are they here to stay?
  • Handy Andy
    6318 posts Big Money Move
    Adamski wrote: »
    What do people think of UKIP? Flash in the pan or are they here to stay?

    Flash in the pan. When things improve (economically) they will lose voters.
  • Lard_Lad
    12757 posts Has That Special Something
    Adamski wrote: »
    What do people think of UKIP? Flash in the pan or are they here to stay?

    Farage is a bit of a Lad #MegaBantz
  • Lard_Lad
    12757 posts Has That Special Something
    But in all seriousness Farage is a very clever man, He claims to be one of the people and is seen by many as someone they can relate to, yet in reality he's no different to Cameron or Osbourne, he's a public school boy who then went to work in the city, most of his friends are bankers. If he got into power, not that he will, we would have a serious problem, he'd be the first to privatise the NHS (I know its already going on), he'd try and get us out of Europe straight away, some people think thats a good thing, I for one don't. He's definitely some one we don't want running the country
  • Handy Andy
    6318 posts Big Money Move
    He has done well to be fair to him. But people turning to Right wing groups during difficult economic times is hardly a new thing. He is just exploiting people's anger at the economy by giving them a scapegoat.
  • oneilmatt
    954 posts An Exciting Prospect
    #AnybodyButHillary
  • Chubbs
    14635 posts Has That Special Something
    oneilmatt wrote: »
    #AnybodyButHillary

    Rather have her than Ted Cruz crazy ❤️❤️❤️❤️. Neither would be ok for me though.
  • oneilmatt
    954 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Rubio or Christie will get the nomination. Hillary can't handle two emails how can she run a country? :D
  • Slawter
    4353 posts National Call-Up
    Lard_Lad wrote: »
    He's definitely some one we don't want running the country

    All you need to know about Farage and UKIP in one sentence.
  • SF9
    9117 posts League Winner
    There's never been a more one man party than Farage with UKIP! If somehow anything happened to Farage, UKIP would be dead & buried.

    If anyone would like to share, who's everyone voting? SNP for me. If I lived in England it would be the Green Party.
  • dannyboy
    13008 posts Has That Special Something
    I'd probably vote green.
  • Caius
    584 posts Sunday League Hero
    So we're allowed to talk about politics now?
  • cronaldo773
    2286 posts Fans' Favourite
    UKIP all the way....paying millions of quid to the European union per day for the privilege of thousands of new regulations that constrain business and hoards of eastern euros coming pricing brits out of the job market. There's people of every colour and class in ukip and they want sensible immigration policy not an entirely open door to almost billion in Europe.
  • Sabo
    6818 posts Big Money Move
    I can't vote in the upcoming election, but if I could it would be for the Greens. Would consider voting SNP if I lived in Scotland.
  • Raistlin
    1405 posts Professional
    #wakaflocka2016
  • Wardhiigley
    1974 posts Play-Off Hero
    UKIP all the way....paying millions of quid to the European union per day for the privilege of thousands of new regulations that constrain business and hoards of eastern euros coming pricing brits out of the job market. There's people of every colour and class in ukip and they want sensible immigration policy not an entirely open door to almost billion in Europe.

    If an eastern European is being selected over you for a job then you must be a pretty rubbish employee.
  • Lard_Lad
    12757 posts Has That Special Something
    UKIP all the way....paying millions of quid to the European union per day for the privilege of thousands of new regulations that constrain business and hoards of eastern euros coming pricing brits out of the job market. There's people of every colour and class in ukip and they want sensible immigration policy not an entirely open door to almost billion in Europe.

    The open door policy works both ways, holidaying would be harder if we weren't in the EU for a start. The immigrants that come in to our country have a net economic benefit, I can gaurentee you that. The trade agreements we have with Europe are extremely important, leaving the Eu would have serious effect on them
  • Ash
    21413 posts Club Captain
    SF9 wrote: »
    There's never been a more one man party than Farage with UKIP! If somehow anything happened to Farage, UKIP would be dead & buried.

    If anyone would like to share, who's everyone voting? SNP for me. If I lived in England it would be the Green Party.
    I'm voting Lib Dem
  • HolgerBadstuber
    5212 posts Big Money Move
    Anything but Labour, them and the SNP will diddle this country
  • Caius
    584 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited April 2015
    UKIP all the way....paying millions of quid to the European union per day for the privilege of thousands of new regulations that constrain business and hoards of eastern euros coming pricing brits out of the job market. There's people of every colour and class in ukip and they want sensible immigration policy not an entirely open door to almost billion in Europe.
    Perhaps your argument would be even slightly persuasive if you had any idea how our EU contributions work. We pay the money we do because of the economic benefit of the free trade regulations in Europe that allow UK businesses to flourish, not constrain them.

    Our contributions are connected to the amount we earn through trade with the EU, any line of reasoning that centres around the idea that we are paying for perceived negative aspects of the EU is only valid upon the assumption that we could secure the same trade agreements without being a member state. This has been proven to be a foolish assumption. EEC countries such as Norway are still forced to contribute membership fees in order to benefit from the free trade regulations, but without membership, are powerless in the EU legislative process. In addition, they're still forced to adopt EU regulations on relevant matters in the manner we are. We'd have less power over the EU law implemented in this country if we left, unless we want to start paying duties on trade with the EU (hint: we don't want to do that).

    The EU contributions and burden of EU legislation are nothing compared to the economic benefits. We stay in the EU or go through a recession worse than the one we just went through. I know which one I'd pick.
  • Lard_Lad
    12757 posts Has That Special Something
    I only have one problem with the EU at that is the CAP
  • Jenko
    13845 posts Has That Special Something
    Why are people voting Greens?

    I shall be voting Lib Dem, not because I want them in, just because Labour stand no chance where I live so it's a wasted vote. Lib Dems have the most chance of keeping Conservatives out in my area.
  • Ash
    21413 posts Club Captain
    Jenko wrote: »
    Why are people voting Greens?

    I shall be voting Lib Dem, not because I want them in, just because Labour stand no chance where I live so it's a wasted vote. Lib Dems have the most chance of keeping Conservatives out in my area.
    I honestly haven't a clue either, scary how much are voting for them
  • Caius
    584 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited April 2015
    I live in a marginal constituency that will be contested between Labour, Lib Dem and Greens. Not a fan of Labour's timid plans for social reform/taxation and their cuts "outside protected areas". They're very much a centrist party, I wouldn't align myself with them.

    I'm supportive of the Lib Dems campaign for electoral reform and a number of other issues, but I have no interest in voting for a party prepared to prop up a Conservative government, especially if it will cave on key issues (e.g. tuition fees) as the Lib Dems did following the 2010 coalition. Whilst they have several progressive policies, they remain very ideologically in line with the two main parties, which discourages me from affiliating myself with them.

    The Green Party are actually willing to reform taxation despite all the stigma attached to it - it's only recently we've had income taxes as low as 40-50% (over the course of the last two governments) on those with the highest incomes, historically taxes on the wealthy have been much higher. The introduction of a universal basic income would end the farcical number of people in this country below the poverty line, a ridiculous number considering we're the 6th wealthiest country in the world by some measures. There's an attempt to address the democratic deficit in this country and a Green government would bring railways and other public transport back under state control, easing and improving life for commuters whilst making public transport cheaper and more accessible for the rest of the population. There's commitment to action on other areas such as the prison system and climate change that other parties have failed to address, thanks to the direct democracy within the party structure, they're very progressive and actually representative of people's political views.
  • Jenko
    13845 posts Has That Special Something
    Ash wrote: »
    Jenko wrote: »
    Why are people voting Greens?

    I shall be voting Lib Dem, not because I want them in, just because Labour stand no chance where I live so it's a wasted vote. Lib Dems have the most chance of keeping Conservatives out in my area.
    I honestly haven't a clue either, scary how much are voting for them

    Doesn't make sense to me. They've literally no chance and probably never will. They would have far less voters if they were being scrutinised in the televised debates as much as the more relevant parties are being, I can't recalling hearing much at all about cuts from the Greens, it's all what good they'd do, nobody cares to challenge the Greens because they know the election won't be won by taking their voters. It's a shame the IFS didn't deconstruct their manifesto like they did with the main parties.
  • Stannis Baratheon
    1417 posts Professional
    I think it's good that some are considering the Green Party, they clearly represent the interests of the people of Britain more than the other parties. But maybe if such a party has no chance of success then you ought to consider a different approach of initiating social change.
  • oneilmatt
    954 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Curious as to why Europeans have such an aversion to Conservatism. Many Liberal policies have hurt the EU tremendously, specifically immigration.
  • Jenko
    13845 posts Has That Special Something
    oneilmatt wrote: »
    Curious as to why Europeans have such an aversion to Conservatism. Many Liberal policies have hurt the EU tremendously, specifically immigration.

    It's obvious, isn't it?
  • oneilmatt
    954 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Not to me, I guess. France has a Socialist president for God's sake. Just confusing to me
  • cronaldo773
    2286 posts Fans' Favourite
    Lard_Lad wrote: »
    UKIP all the way....paying millions of quid to the European union per day for the privilege of thousands of new regulations that constrain business and hoards of eastern euros coming pricing brits out of the job market. There's people of every colour and class in ukip and they want sensible immigration policy not an entirely open door to almost billion in Europe.

    The open door policy works both ways, holidaying would be harder if we weren't in the EU for a start. The immigrants that come in to our country have a net economic benefit, I can gaurentee you that. The trade agreements we have with Europe are extremely important, leaving the Eu would have serious effect on them

    Its be
    Lard_Lad wrote: »
    UKIP all the way....paying millions of quid to the European union per day for the privilege of thousands of new regulations that constrain business and hoards of eastern euros coming pricing brits out of the job market. There's people of every colour and class in ukip and they want sensible immigration policy not an entirely open door to almost billion in Europe.

    The open door policy works both ways, holidaying would be harder if we weren't in the EU for a start. The immigrants that come in to our country have a net economic benefit, I can gaurentee you that. The trade agreements we have with Europe are extremely important, leaving the Eu would have serious effect on them

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/11209234/Immigration-from-outside-Europe-cost-120-billion.html

    Basically theres a net loss on immigration from outside europe like money for nhs school benefits all that is well more than their tax contribution plus like extra security after 7/7 that cost alot.
This discussion has been closed.